MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

Re:Gardenscapes comments and reviews

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Jun 3, 10 10:05 AM
Hi Folks

There's rarely a game that's talked about in the forums that just about EVERYONE likes but apparently this is one of them; came upon this game because it'd been mentioned in another forum as being more challenging than THAT game (Roadshow USA, I think)

Anway, as for selling the cat -- since I've 15 of them (10 of them are special-needs cats that had been abused, a couple of them SEVERELY) -- I don't think that I'd sell it -- ALTHOOOOOOOOGH Jennifer (who's a BIG pain and a sneak) just spilled a whole glass of milk all over the floor, me, desk and keyboard.

Someone want a tabby?? At this second, I just might take an offer; ANY offer

Well, going to download and demo this game; give you my 2 in a little while.

MEnr56

Edited on 06/03/2010 at 10:06:27 AM PST

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Jun 3, 10 11:31 AM
Hi Folks

DEFINITE BUY for me but will wait until later this week when I've got game card credit codes; bought WAYY too many games last month I found the hint system rather unique though a tad disappointing because it'll show what the object looks like but not where it's at -- yes, I know, patience is a virtue. but one of the items to be found was a hookah?? DEFINITELY had to use a hint for that object.

In the Untimed mode there is a to be sold (actually 2 of them but the 2nd one is a statue which I sold. As for the real cat -- well, sorry, couldn't sell it; was afraid that I might not be able to get out of the scene w/o selling it but when you hit MENU -- it gives you an option to return to the garden -- which I did keeping the
Was disappointed to NOT be able to hear the butler speaking; expecting it -- I think from the introduction of the game. I thought that the actions he was performing was in touch with everyday life -- feeding the swan, playing fetch with the dog, etc.; I particularly liked the dog's action of doing its business in one of the scenes -- glad there was nothing to clean up Now if only MY dog would be as clean
Thanks for the reviews on this one; I'll definitely be enjoying it.

MEnr56

Edited on 06/05/2010 at 2:16:03 PM PST

GaPeach1981
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,588 Posts

[Post New]by GaPeach1981 on Jun 3, 10 1:01 PM
I love this game!! Can anyone suggest others like it??

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Jun 4, 10 9:32 AM
Ten minutes into the demo I thought this was one of the most interactive, charming games I'd seen. I'd worried about time management.....the last thing I want is to have to meet deadlines for FUN after a lifetime of work. However, you can turn that off. The game still tells you to hurry up, guess they didn't want to rewrite everything for relaxed mode, LOL. Anyway, couldn't stand leaving it there, so downloaded another 60 minutes from another site. To my surprise, it worked, and even started from the same point. That hour went buy in 10 minutes, I swear! So I came to Big Fish and got it. I haven't finished it yet, I'm enjoying playing with the dog, feeding the swan, seeing what's interactive in each room (it changes)

The game has been described, so I'm just adding my favorite things. Yes, you have a limited amount of rooms to search, but they actually move things around a bit. The mini games are finding coins every time, but then they add in pearls and candy at different times. Probably more I haven't gotten to. And the letters asking to buy a certain thing means a quick search for twenty of the same type of item, which is a nice change of pace. Also, things are fairly logical, not much hidden in wallpaper designs type of thing. All the rooms have some interactive or animated element, birds, butterflies and moving eyes, lights turn on.

I love the butler. He's a sweet, fussy worry wart, but such a darling I wish I had him in real life. And the puppy does real puppy things. I'm amazed at how much detail went into this game. Although I had said no more games for awhile, I had to get this one so I could take my time and just feed the swan and see what interacts. This game is going to get a lot of use, since I just like playing in the garden.

If they keep making games like this, I will be one happy camper. It's totally charming and my "relax and enjoy" game. More, please!

[Post New]by aussiecox on Jul 7, 10 9:32 AM
I bought Gardenscapes & love the game but I was sorry when it was finished. I could keep playing the game & accumulating more $$$$$$s but you cant spend it. It says I have purchased everything. Is there an update or a # 2 game to continue this garden ?

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Jul 7, 10 8:19 PM
aussiecox - you can change your gardens look with any additional money you accumulate, or you can start a new game as a different player and start building a new garden.

I tried this game after the rave reviews on the MAC forum and bought it over the weekend. It's very charming, and a refreshing break from the mystery/crime-themed HOGs. I kept playing a few rounds after the competition, hoping to see the butler being interviewed by the reporters, but no such luck.

Gardenscapes comments and reviews

[Post New]by LorryC on Jul 11, 10 2:53 PM
bfgFlounder wrote:Here is what our reviewer thought of Gardenscapes. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Comments:
Gardenscapes is a beautifully designed and well-blended mix of the Time Management and Hidden Object genres. What makes this game innovative is how much the gameplay makes sense in the context of the storyline, which uses second-person narrative to really make the story your own. A beautiful but run-down mansion has been left to you by your late uncle and you have little income, so the best way to earn money to fix the place up is to host jumble sales to earn some extra cash. As you explore each cluttered room of the house, buyers will come looking for specific items which you must locate quickly to earn as much money as possible. You’ll also occasionally be faced with extra challenges in which you’re asked to look for specific items by an important person or organization, which helps change the game up a bit. Additionally, between levels you can not only customize your garden using the money you’ve earned but also interact with your butler (hint: try clicking on him, the phone, the dog, etc…) which is a nice touch. Your garden even doubles as a screensaver! It is a bit unfortunate that there are only 15 rooms to explore, but each one is well-designed and often times you’ll see movement, such as a floating butterfly or burning candle. Overall, this is a great game for those that love mixing genres, bright, colorful artwork and a feeling of personalization in their games.

Game Modes:
Gardenscapes offers the ability to switch between “Against the Clock” and “Relaxed” at any time.

Depth:
Gardenscapes offers 15 rooms to explore and can be completed in about four to five hours.

Similar to:
Players that enjoyed the concept of <a href=http://tinyurl.com/oh98yy>Antique Shop</a> and customization as seen in <a href=http://tinyurl.com/yk42mpu>Babylonia</a> will appreciate what Gardenscapeshas to offer.

Difficulty level:
Gardenscapesis moderately challenging, with options to renew hints as well as the ability to play untimed.

Reviewed by E.G.

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Jul 12, 10 9:15 PM
Yet another great game! I have been on a demoing escapade for about 2 weeks now, trying all sorts of games. This is another buy for me (you don't even want to know how many I've purchased lately!)

Being as this is made by the same people that made Royal Envoy (Playrix), I guess it shouldn't surprise me at all how well made and what a high quality game this is. This is very similar to Shop-n-Spree (with different graphics and without the garden building), another game I absolutely love. I can definitely see the replay value in this game as well.

All the added little perks of the game are wonderful too. All the various items that animate fully when you mouse over them (and there are a LOT of them). Also, that you can interact with the objects & animals in the garden. Building the garden is a nice theme for why you're doing all of this. I have been playing in Timed Mode and it's kinda difficult to find these items on demand like that. Nice to know there is relaxed mode to resort too when I want less harried gameplay. Excellent game!

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Jul 22, 10 5:46 PM
Gardenscapes was a delightful, whimisical kind of game. It was creative, clever, and most unique. The concept of designing a garden and making financial decisions around it was quite intriguing! The game never stops -- you can decide to change the garden, even when you're finished, and there are more opportunities to sell more stuff and make more money. I particularly liked the hint options -- camera, thermometers, question marks. A great buy!

[Post New]by GeorgeXXIII on Sep 16, 10 2:56 PM
What a great game! I haven't finished it yet but it's so addictive. I've played all night. the great thing about it is that you are just clicking all the time, there's always something to spot even if you can't find something from the list for a few moments there is a coin or a camera.It's so fast you feel like a HOG fighter pilot.
Love it.

[Post New]by jaxbarney on Oct 6, 10 7:07 PM
Playrix Games out did themselves when they came up with this game!!
Please Playrix come out with Gardenscapes II !!!!! There are so few entertaining and relaxing games of this nature.

[Post New]by pepitogo26 on Jan 22, 11 3:45 PM
Sorry my fellow players... I found this game to be very puerile and almosty an insult to one's intelligence; I tried to find something constructive about it but I couldn't. Struggled to survive the demo!!

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Jan 22, 11 7:59 PM
I love this game........!!! Found it a year ago......didn't buy at the time..........thought about it ever since and when it came up for sale bought it right away........two modes......relaxed and timed.........clever graphics......relaxing music......the butler and the dog are lots of fun and frankly it's nice changing the garden around.....love it....!!!!

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jan 23, 11 1:55 AM
i've always heard really great things about this game so i thought: for $2.99, why not? and i am not disappointed!

i love watching everything change and being able to interact with the man and the dog... especially to distract him and send him somewhere else...

very cute and great for hours of play!

SueDee67
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by SueDee67 on Jan 28, 11 7:30 AM
This game is so cute! I love that dog chasing butterflies! Whoever programed this one did a super job. I enjoyed it all. The Butler is a hoot! Very happy and
light to play. I'll play it again too. Worth the money.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Feb 11, 11 6:52 PM
Yes, I was surprised I LOVE THIS GAME ALSO...I have played so many other types of games and I guess I'm tired of them. But getting this one.

[Post New]by FLAMEonfire on Mar 6, 11 3:34 AM
I loved this game! During any demo you're watching your time so you have to keep moving to see what the game is like - Well I would have liked to have taken my time and watched the butler in the garden. He's entertaining walking around reading the newspaper, answering the phone , and playing with the dog. In the "Garage Sale" rooms you have enough hints if you need them and the objects aren't too hard to find. All in all it's a good game to relax and just play.

[Post New]by Pandapuss on Apr 6, 11 9:18 PM
Pandapuss wrote:]I also love this game and we do need more like them and just because it isn't all blood and guts no one usually would want to buy it. But the first time I saw it I knew I had to buy this one and then I searched the stores without let up and never did find it and then was told that I would not find it in stores that I would have to buy it from the internet. That did not make me happy because I had heard so many things about buying on the internet, so I went to a store and bought a Visa card and that is how I got my game. They were very helpful in doing so.
Thank you bigfish for such great service.
Pandapuss

[Post New]by Pandapuss on Apr 6, 11 9:24 PM
[b]I agree with everything said about Gardenscapes and I love it also but there is one thing I have not been able to do is get into any new rooms and if anyone knows the secret please share it with us. I have played this game until I have turned into a white haired old bat and can't get into any NEW rooms.
Love to all
Pandapuss

[Post New]by mdnghtfire on Apr 14, 11 9:39 AM
Your question is my question.....where are the additional items to continue with the garden renovation? Austin keeps talking about them and then re-directs you to the sale. As much as I love finding the objects (and I hate to say this) it is getting a bit
repetitive. Do you have to reach a certain $ amount before these "new" garden
accessories become available?

Go to: