shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Re:The Dark Hills of Cherai comments and reviews

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Feb 1, 10 8:03 PM
I just downloaded the trial and it says the trial expired and I swear that I have never tried this game before???? Anyone else ever had this happen with this game or another game? I could be wrong, but I think I would remember if I had tried this - I looked at the walkthrough and nothing at all looked familiar to me. I am so baffled..... and bummed.

puckizzy
Minnow
Minnow
271 Posts

[Post New]by puckizzy on Feb 19, 10 11:47 PM
ldevine wrote:I have to address all of us who have phobias. I think it is more the norm than unusual to fear something..... For some snakes, others cockroaches, heights, water, I can go on. Mine is spiders. My brother put a large one in a coffee cup when we were children and then threw it on me. However, I play games all the time that have spiders in them. As others have said, these are just games. Not real spiders, snakes or cockroaches.

I consider it a minor form of therapy to have to deal with the creature I most detest in the game format....but...will still ask someone else to deal with the spiders I meet in real life

I like this game and am considering purchasing it. I like it that you can switch characters and that some of the mini games are those I haven't seen in a long time. I, too, appreciate well done graphics and music one can tolerate throughout game play. I often turn off the music when it gets tiresome - so far have been able to keep it on.

Thank God for brothers...NOT! Just kidding - love mine. I think that's where I got my phobia of spiders too!! He'd chase me around the house with a big rubber fake one! And they are in every hog game!! I try to look all around them, but not directly at them - unless I'm supposed to collect it, then I do it with my eyes closed!! Pretend or not, I can't even look at a picture of one, without freaking out!! Or I should say a life sized picure. I'm not THAT weirded out by the ones in the games. Now if they had a game filled with them, like the snake one they are talking about...fagetaboudit!!

azmesa340
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by azmesa340 on Feb 27, 10 2:35 PM
Just finished.....WOW, what a great game - Thanks Big Fish!

puckizzy
Minnow
Minnow
271 Posts

[Post New]by puckizzy on Mar 8, 10 1:17 PM
sheilaclown wrote:I really want to love this game BUT it is soooo slowww - is there a fix for this? Please....

I want to love it too... It is super slow and so far, very BORING to me!! I don't think there is a fix for speeding it up. It's a super huge game I guess.

All these good reviews and so far, I'm not too impressed. Trying to like it. (I liked it enough to trial play & buy) - but I don't know where my mind was, as this is driving me mad.

Guess I'll leave it for a rainy day, for now.

bluecat434
Clownfish
Clownfish
858 Posts

[Post New]by bluecat434 on May 30, 10 5:36 AM
nice adventure not too much hand-holding through it and much of what you do is logical (well--in adventure game terms, it is. ) i like the object exchange between characters, the ability to shift between characters. the puzzles are interesting, for the most part. many old standards, some new---it's just a nice game.

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Jun 8, 10 8:54 AM
The following comments are based solely on the demo:

Pros:
- beautiful graphics
- HOG scenes aren't junkpiles and not even particularly busy scenes, which tends to make the items easier to find
- hints are limitless
-minipuzzles are a bit different (some with a twist on common ideas) but can be skipped if they prove to be too hard
- storyline advances and makes sense; isn't just mentioned and then forgotten
- playing more than one character helps keep the game fresh

Cons:
-HOG scenes may not be junkpiles, but they are a bit fuzzy at times which makes identifying some of the items very difficult
- the hints may be limitless but they take (what feels like) forever to reload
- the penalty for too many unproductive clicks is a frozen cursor (I count that as a con because I don't like penalties for misclicks.)

Overall Impression: I liked the game quite a bit and will definitely put it on my "Absolutely Want" list.

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Jun 8, 10 9:01 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:I just downloaded the trial and it says the trial expired and I swear that I have never tried this game before???? Anyone else ever had this happen with this game or another game? I could be wrong, but I think I would remember if I had tried this - I looked at the walkthrough and nothing at all looked familiar to me. I am so baffled..... and bummed.

I've had that happen a couple of times before. Uninstalling the game and then redownloading it took care of the problem for me.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Jun 29, 10 4:07 PM
Dark Hills of Cherai

You can pick your difficulty level, and since I chose the guided mode, it could be pretty difficult to pass certain areas.

First thoughts: Nice artwork, nice music, not very hard, lots of mini-puzzles!

It soon became clear that items were getting more cleverly hidden, puzzles were getting harder and then a new element was added in: You play multiple characters. Like the more-recent Escape the Lost Kingdom, you go back and forth between characters, and sometimes one character will collect an item one of the others need, so you have to meet, exchange items, and go back to where you were before you continue. Not as complex as it sounds, they made it very intuitive.

The story can be in-depth or light, depending on what you want. You get the basic story, and if you want more, there is a golden butterfly on certain scenes that will give you background information to make the game more immersive. Up to you if you want that or not.

The music got creepy, and even disturbing in some scenes.

Nice IHOG, have put it on my to-buy-someday list.

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Jun 30, 10 3:04 AM
Took me about 3.5 hours to finish the game. Great game. I liked the originality of the 3 characters and trading items between them. Some of the puzzles were very challenging. Overall a very pleasant experience. Glad i bought it.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Jul 4, 10 4:58 AM
I won't be buying this one. I enjoyed the game for about 30 minutes. I liked the woodsy graphics and pleasing nature effects. But it's for younger ages mostly, easy to find things, lots of hints, not much challenge.

What I didn't like was the exchange feature where you have to click and go to a special meeting area to exchange an item that's needed by two different people at two other places. It makes the game difficult to navigate.

Then the game just locked up and crashed after 30 minutes as I was going to another area.

That's it for me. Not worth the aggravation. Since snakes don't bother me at all, I had to problem with snakes or any other animals in this Indian-themed game. Just not a very good game.

[Post New]by mondor on Aug 1, 10 3:45 PM
mermansk wrote:Help!!! can't get Maya to go to the meeting place!!

Can't get Maya there too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Does anybody know?

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Nov 24, 10 5:25 AM
Well, it's long since this game came out on , and it's doubtful anyone will check these reviews at this late date - anyone involved in game design or development, that is. But I'm going to post this anyway, just on the off-chance.

I had considered this game at the time of release, but other games drew my attention too, and this game ended up getting missed on my "To Buy" list just because of the amount of other titles I also viewed at the time.

I came across mention of this game just the other evening, in a thread for a game that was released in November of 2010, and the comment reminded me how much I had wanted to try this game, with a very strong probability of buying.

Well.

Storyline is great. Music is great. The visuals were designed either on a low budget, or a mistaken idea that everyone has a widescreen monitor. Artwork uses a lot of sepia-type touches, very nice, but hard on the eyes. Artwork and/or graphics blur the objects. List of items to be found is on a dull gold background, black text, and the picture itself designed to appear curling very slightly away from the viewer. In other words, the bottom line is you can't see the items to find them, and you can't read the list of items to know what to find, either, unless you have the inclination to waste time adjusting your settings outside the game for this one game only, because there are no in-game settings for screen at all. That's a no-buy for me right there. One other thing makes it even worse: Intro, and text on the cut scenes go by too quickly. Not all of us are fast readers. There should have been the option to click "next" when one is done reading, that way every player can go at his/her own speed and ability.

A shame, because I really love the idea of more than one character to play, interwoven story roles - but if you can't see it, and you can't adjust it, it's a no-buy.

package88
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by package88 on Nov 26, 10 4:55 PM
happy thanksgiving genet1770 I read your review ! I have been checking out quite s few 2.99 games there are many good reviews about this game i was going to buy without trying but after your review i think i might trial it first! One thing i have found for the games with small objects to find is a pair of the lowest strength cheater reading glasses i keep them next to my laptop at all times! They actually rest your eyes a bit! almost like squirting visine in them! try the 1.00+ or 1.75+ you can pick them at the Dollar Store we have a store called Expect Discount (Marcs) here in CT. all kinds of styles for .88 cents each! Anyway thanks for the review PS. if your can't find the glasses cheap send me a messge with your address i will be glad to send you some (that is if you want them) Happy Gaming !!

nehmah
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by nehmah on Nov 27, 10 11:35 AM
I was all set to buy this, until the blasted monkeys would not get on the spot intended for their furry butts! I hate that mouthy butterfly, even though it makes not a peep. No sale here. Nehmah

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Nov 28, 10 4:48 PM
Just finished the game. It took me just under 3 hours taking my time to go through; I didn't skip any of the mini-games, read all of the text in the journal and the glowing butterflies in scenes, and used 1 hint every 4 scenes or so.

I really liked the Indian setting. It made a nice change from the asylums, haunted house, etc. settings in the HOG genre. I also liked that you played 3 different characters and had to exchange items at various points to keep going. The map was great for quickly navigating to different locations.

The hidden object scenes were easy, but the objects were pretty repetitive. I think there was an owl, bat, snake, nest and spider in every scene. The minigames were of moderate difficulty and pretty fun.

Overall, I really liked the game and played most of it in one sitting.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Nov 29, 10 10:54 AM
Thanks Genet,

Was considering this for the sale. Thought the screenshots made
reading of the lists tough on my eyes, then read your review.
Saved me doing the demo, and there are lots more to try
without eye strain.

Thanks again

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Dec 18, 10 11:37 PM
Not a fan of this game. Thought the storyline was weak, the graphics unclear and the hidden objects at times difficult to find. A no buy for me.

JadedBlonde
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by JadedBlonde on Dec 21, 10 2:18 PM
I bought this game with a game credit and if I had bought it out right I would have been really disappointed. I've played about an hour and 15 minutes of the game and found it so easy that I am bored out of my mind. I wasn't even bothering with the (teeny print) hidden object list since basically everything you need are just all the objects in the scene, pretty much right in front of or just most of the items you can tell don't belong there. One hidden object scene literally took me 20 seconds to complete.

The 3 character "shift' is an interesting idea, but even at that I found it annoying to be stopped just when I thought I was getting somewhere by being told that my current character was "Stuck' and I should switch to another character. I was hoping you could play a bit longer before you're interrupted. I didn't feel like I was playing enough to really be sucked into it; just too many screens popping up with story line, things popping up to tell me what I should do, etc. And it was soooooo slow. I'm probably just not mellow enough to play these kind of things Even playing on the timed mode with no help, there was too much hand holding and help.

The graphics are very beautiful but a bit muddy and hazy.

I wished I had passed on this but I'm 'stuck'. ::pause for laffs...) My niece would like this, for me personally it's way too easy and boring.

Merry Christmas to all!

Edited on 12/21/2010 at 2:30:18 PM PST

silkywings
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,043 Posts

[Post New]by silkywings on Dec 21, 10 7:14 PM
I just finished this game tonight and I really enjoyed it. I only skipped a couple of mini-games but that was towards the end of the game. I thought it was very clever with three different children each taking a separate path to the evil magician at the end. Even the grass gently waves back and forth and there are little things added here and there for "enlightment". A delightful game that I will play again in the "hard" mode. A favorite of mine!

merivilan
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by merivilan on Jan 31, 11 3:36 AM
Hi
I bought this game a little while back and really enjoyed it.
The Indian theme is authentic, I discovered this because when you get to the end, the credits have pictures and little biographies of all the people involved with creating the game. It was fascinating and worth finishing the game for.
It is definately worth the catch of the week price in MO.

Go to: