bellerook
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ comments and reviews

[Post New]by bellerook on Dec 15, 09 11:03 PM
More, please. My first game ever was RTR and I was utterly lost for a while. I've bought quite a number of **** and adventure games since, but nothing as satisfying as this. Maybe it's because I had more experience and was able to enjoy the play rather than feel frustrated when things didn't proceed directly from point A to point B. All I know is, if it was possible for you to create one like this every week, I'd be in hog heaven. I hated to reach the end, but was proud to have arrived there all by myself! We waited for this one with itchy fingers and it was well worth it. Now we go back to waiting, I guess. Hurry, please. Anticipation is great, but satisfaction is better. By the way, I didn't play the CE version, but I can't imagine morphing objects making some big difference. The story was compelling, the graphics great, the atmosphere so strong I got goosebumps from the cold, and the difficulty level was perfect (for me). Congratulations on a real winner......better than RTR in my book.

[Post New]by Beebumble on Dec 16, 09 3:47 AM
Loved this game. It is very rare that I am kept occupied for more than a few hours with any download but I have been playing this on and off over 3 days and just completed it. It is quite spooky at times. The puzzles are perfectly challenging. Best game of the year in my opinion. Just sad its all over!

[Post New]by puzzlegame on Dec 16, 09 1:14 PM
I looked forward to the release of this game for some time and overall I am very pleased with the game. Thank you BF!
It was fun, challanging and and deserves to be with the two Ravenhearst games.
I enjoyed figuring out what to do with my inventory and even had trouble figuring out what to do next in chapters 5 & 6.
My one request for next time is that BF make more mini puzzles. I loved the door locks of Ravenhearst and mini puzzles that were all over and found that Dire Grove didn't have enough lock/door puzzles for my taste.

Great job with graphics and easy movement from place to place.
I actually felt cold when playing this game. Could you make the next game in a pleasent climate? I'd like to feel less cold and creepy.

Thank you and more please!

[Post New]by DemonOnDemand on Dec 16, 09 1:39 PM
I felt the game was too short... not enough of anything... not enough puzzles... not enough hidden object areas... I still think Madam Fate is the best MCF game... it was fun and the morphing objects made it more interesting... the original ravenhearst game was the 2nd best... return to ravenhearst 3rd and this 4th... the video tapes were stupid... I felt like I spent more time watching video than playing a game... not a bad game for the price but I step down from the others... I liked the weirdness of the puzzles in the 1st ravenhearst... madam fate had good puzzles too... better art... the morphing objects made the game much more enjoyable and the other games just felt longer... 1st time playing this game and I finished it in 4 hrs... playing dire grove over and over again I will be able to probably cut that time in half which I can't do with the others... maybe I would have been happier with the collectors edition though not for that price... I really don't know how much more gameplay there was... but when you compare dire grove to the 3 mcf games before it... it just doesn't quite stand up. Still its better than most other hidden object games

gks1951
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by gks1951 on Dec 17, 09 4:31 PM
I had no Idea about the morphing thingy, but I enjoyed it as faras hidden objects go. I like point and clicks they are more challenging, and fun with the puzzles.I finished the game at 4am this morning couldn't quit.It has the other two M.C.F beat.Loved it.

rolldedice
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by rolldedice on Dec 17, 09 4:32 PM
Bought the collecters edition and just finished the demo of the el-cheapo version. this game is awesome!! Buy yourself a x-mas present-go ahead u deserve this!!! The morphing objects add to the fixation in the end-like U JUST HAVE TO FIND THEM!!! No easy thing either, the ole eyeballs do the "is this really moving or am I starting to see things" kinda mode!!! The video tapes should all be deleted-really did not do anything for the game,with the exception of finding them. Happy Xmas and merry new year to all and remember to put this one on santa's list!!!

Edited on 12/17/2009 at 4:50:26 PM PST

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 17, 09 8:43 PM
I just finished the game. It was a great game, well worth $6.99. As far as difficulty, I didn't think it was much easier than RTR. The entire game took me about 7 1/2 hours, give or take, and that was with a LOT of help from the walkthrough! I am glad I bought it but it was tough getting through it and at times quite frustrating as I had to go back to the walkthrough so often. Maybe next time I play it, I won't need the walkthrough so much but that won't be for awhile. I need a break!!! I wanted to add that I would like to see more games like this only PLEASE make them a little easier!!! Also, make some mystery games based more on reality. In my opinion this was too far-fetched.

Edited on 12/17/2009 at 8:49:33 PM PST

debalviso
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by debalviso on Dec 17, 09 11:09 PM
I really like Dire Grove, and found it almost as well-done as MCF Return to Ravenhearst. However, I was disappointed by the lack of full features in the $6.99 version as oppose to the Dire Grove Collectors Edition. I buy regularly from Big Fish Games so I expected better than that.

In case anyone has forgotten, there is a severe recession taking place at the moment, which is the main reason I held out for the $6.99 version of Dire Grove. It’s nice to have a game take you away from your troubles even if just for a few minutes, but not when a typical game price is more than doubled. I understand Big Fish has expenses, too, but they are obviously already making a profit or they wouldn’t still be going strong.

reneesenn
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by reneesenn on Dec 18, 09 6:23 AM
I liked Dire Grove quite a bit. The atmosphere was perfect and the scenes were beautiful yet lonely, which is good for this type of game. I wouldn't mind a darker themed game someday though. I agree with what several others have said about doing something other than the weird video tapes. I would rather have read some diary entries or something. I watched the videos the first time through but they were rather pointless and ,frankly, irritating.
I'd rather watch a Jason flick, at least then there would be annoying college kids AND gore.
(The blond girl says her hunter line 16 times...16! Everyone else just said it four )

rskowron
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by rskowron on Dec 18, 09 3:51 PM
I just enjoyed this game to pieces. It was really fun and I couldn't tear myself away from it. This was even though I knew it would end eventually. This is one of the first MCF games I decided to actually spend whatever time it took to solve the mystery and the puzzles. I wish more of these HOGs had this much effort in them to keep you so entranced and desiring to ultimately find the solution. . Five smileys (stars) for a great game!

[Post New]by pajutie on Dec 18, 09 5:11 PM
I agree with most of the other posts. This game was short and not as good as MCF, RTR. There should have been alot more hidden object areas, more and tougher puzzles (the phone connection puzzle rocked in RTR) I expected the plot line to be more involved and I agree the tapes should have included more hints and interesting help even for puzzles. I'm a little disappointed! I expected more from the game and BF. It only took 5 hours to complete, RTR took 30! And I never had to look in the forum or a walk through the entire game and rarely used a hint! I hope BF puts out an extra MCF next year to compensate for this one!

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Dec 18, 09 8:07 PM
I played with my 82 year old mother and we really enjoyed the game, it was a bit shorter than expected and the mini games were fairly easy to figure out compared to Return to Ravenwood and Madam Fate. Some of the hidden objects were difficult for us with older eyes but manageable. We only had to use a clue twice which was surprising and only once did we have to use the walk through to figure out how to play one of the games. We figured out there were two walk throughs so haven't been disappointed about what we missed with the collector's edition - I wished we could have afforded it for the morphs and for the trap door area which we saw in the clue video at the end. We didn't realize it was from the CE until we searched for a half hour for it and went back to review the tape and noticed the tape name. $6.99 for four good hours of entertainment for two people is fairly cheap these days! Graphics were great - loved the wolf! I think the bone should have been included in your inventory to do something. Personally, the tapes didn't do that much for us and were a distraction rather than a help aide except for the one where it is a clue. Making extra uses of some of the rooms would have extended the game longer. Overall 4 stars out of 5. RR and MF and Azada still get 5! Oh - and the snowshoes - we finally decided that was how the detective left the area after solving the mystery game! Hey - I'm a Starfish and not a Seahorse any more! Love the purple!

Edited on 12/18/2009 at 8:10:07 PM PST

[Post New]by mummyandme on Dec 18, 09 8:19 PM
i love the game, beautiful, kinda creepy. i jumped a few times. the ice fishing hut gave me the biggest fright, i wasnt expecting such a "real" person. overall i thought it was great, but a little to short, for the size of the file. only took me four hours. i thought it would take me days.
other than that, fabulous.

[Post New]by wdavisid on Dec 19, 09 1:22 PM
can someone tell me what to do with the snow shoes

selkatz
Herring
Herring
358 Posts

[Post New]by selkatz on Dec 19, 09 4:08 PM
Just finished this game and am very disappointed for a MCF game. It's better than a lot of the other IHOG games, but I expect more from the Mystery Case Files Series. Dire Grove is not in the same league as Return to Ravenhearst and I waited a year with baited breath for the this game. There was really no intrigue to this game as we pretty much knew what to expect the whole way through. The ending left me not wanting more and not caring about the students.

I thought the casting for Alison as the actor didn't do a good job. The other actors were fine.

I like the running around and finding things and having to use my brain to figure out what to do and where to go, etc. The story is what I found very boring and I didn't care at all about the plot.

As I said, it is better than most of the other IHOG games, but scores low for a MCF files. So, on the MCF scale, I give it a C. Return to Ravenhearst was far, far, far, far, superior.

The game was on the easy side and the puzzles were definitely on the easy side. Not many brain cells were required. I used zero hints in this game and of course, did not use a Walkthrough, as I never do. I like to enjoy scenery and take my time and not rush a game. This game was on the short side, I would say about 1/2 the length as Return to Ravenhearst.

The main thing for me, as I stated above was the story. I found it extremely boring and I didn't like the tapes, which added nothing to the game play.

I would have been totally ticked off if I had purchased the Collectors Edition version. This is not a $20 game by any means.

Jill

Edited on 12/19/2009 at 4:13:23 PM PST

hastykate
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ comments and reviews

[Post New]by hastykate on Dec 19, 09 7:18 PM
bfgFlounder wrote:Here is what our reviewer thought of Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.
I
Comments:
Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove is much more than your typical Hidden Object game. Packed full of puzzles and sleuthing, its dark storyline and live action sequences make you feel as though you’re part of an interactive supernatural thriller film as you follow the story of the students leading to their disappearance. This game doesn’t skimp on the details and it’s one you’ll want to play with the sound on – snow swirls and changes direction as the wind wails through the trees and every building you enter sounds as if it’s ready to fall apart around you. Snow crunches underfoot as you walk, water drips and ghosts whisper at your every move, creating a genuine feel of cold desolation. You can almost feel the chill coming off of your monitor! This game is overall very engaging and offers a healthy challenge, yet is untimed and puzzles can all be skipped, which keep this game from being too difficult. Despite the dark storyline and occasional “Blair Witch” feel, this game manages to not be violent or gory, so this game is appropriate for spook-chasers of all ages.

Game Modes:
Dire Grove has just an adventure mode with Hidden Object scenes and mini-game puzzles integrated into the storyline.

Depth:
Dire Grove has a total of seven chapters and a very experienced Hidden Object gamer might complete it in about five hours, though this game will most likely last much longer for most players.

Similar to:
Players that enjoyed <a href=http://tinyurl.com/66aenz>Ravenhearst </a>and <a href=http://tinyurl.com/5rvj2n>Return to Ravenhearst</a> will also enjoy Dire Grove .

Difficulty level:
Dire Grove can be a bit difficult at times, but the lack of a timer paired with the renewing hint system and case file journal keep this game entertainingly challenging.

Reviewed by E.G.

To read what other players thought after playing the Collector’s Edition of Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, click <a href= http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/65865.page>here</a>

[Post New]by SherbetDibDab on Dec 20, 09 9:30 AM
I'd agree with many of the comments here - the game was good and the graphics were very crisp and clear (big advantage in finding hidden objects). However I would agree with others that for a MCF game this was disappointing. RTR is my fav game of all time and I also loved Madame Fate; this was nowhere close to as good as either game.

I also found the video sections pointless and irritating, but some of the 'point and click' adventure style puzzles were clever and well thought out. I love the hidden objects and would have like more of this element.

It did only take me four hours to complete and I barely used any hints - again a bit disappointing as I'd expected the many hours of pleasure as I've had from previous MCF games.

Overall, it was worth 6.99 though - entertaining, a little spooky and despite my slight disappointment still better than many other similiar titles.

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Dec 20, 09 8:19 PM
This has to be the BEST HOG/Puzzle game I have ever played!
Thank you BFG for creating such a fun game.
I found it challenging, but not so much so that I was frustrated, or felt the need to use HINTS. The mini-games were challenging, yet solvable with a little thought and perseverance. A good story line kept me wanting to keep "reading".
Anyone know why I still had the snowshoes upon game completion with nowhere to use them?
Great game, and I want MORE!

[Post New]by Nadeau1076 on Dec 21, 09 10:35 AM
Loved the game! I wish there had been more puzzles, but overall still a wonderful MFC game. I noticed other players referring to the snow shoes not being used, and I didn't use them either. Can anyone tell us what they were for and why they were there if we weren't going to use them? I kept looking for somewhere to use them, wasting time, when I could have been finishing the game. Any help?

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 21, 09 11:03 AM
There are so many threads and so many posts on the snowshoes. It's been the most frequently asked question since the CE came out.

They aren't used as such, but without them in your inventory you can't reach the barn or farmhouse. [Since you need to go there and back multiple times and you can't click things on you, the snowshoes just sit in your inventory]

Go to: