hatzic
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Review

[Post New]by hatzic on Nov 23, 10 10:28 PM
With a name like this I knew it had the potential to be my favourite kind of game. And this would have been a great game if it hadn’t been quite so obvious and easy. It was big and beautiful and lush and the characters were static and you just read their story – I like that better than voices sometimes. It gave me Difficulty options, and even when I selected ‘no hints’ it still stated that Areas of Importance would sparkle (so what is ‘no hints’ then?) Well, I find then you just don’t bother looking at the room at all, you just get “sparkled” and go there. And in this game you get comments like, “Good! You’ve discovered the door handle!” Then there’d be a door with a missing handle and it would say, “Hey! It seems this door is missing a handle!!” And this is the advanced difficulty? I’d rather, “Hmm ok got a door handle here. And there’s a door I’m supposed to go to – maybe if I use the handle here.” You know? That’s not rocket science. So the game just gives it to you and although I liked the S&F portions very much in this game, and had to use hints there, and loved that it was just starting to get more challenging where you could leave rooms in the middle of an S&F because you didn’t have a key to open a lock to get the last item, etc. overall, I don’t think I like this game in any passionate way.
(Continued in Next Post)

hatzic
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Revie

[Post New]by hatzic on Nov 23, 10 10:30 PM
Too bad, because it’s got great potential – didn’t read the story or use my brain too much except in the S&F and I prefer a mystery and puzzle portion that challenges and stimulates me too. I don’t know if the story’s any good because I don’t bother with that in the demo, but you seem to jump all over the place, but you can’t really get lost (I found when I tried) – the game stops and takes you to the next place you need to be with the guy showing up to tell you what you are going to do next and why – so quite jerky transitions, even feeling like a ‘random making up of the story as it goes along’ although it’s based on E.A.P.’s story – then it loads the next place and the screen sparkles in the order of stuff you need to get – wow, that’s pretty difficult (sarcasm here). You don’t even get a chance to look at the scene before it’s bugging you to go here, go here. Like, ok! How about waiting for 4 flippin’ seconds while I take in the artwork, the room, and the potential mystery I have to solve – like get out of my face until it seems I’m floundering and I ask for help (by giving me a journal, or friends, guide, and or graduated hints.) In this game some screens I just went charging through to the next room just because I wanted to be contrary to being led around and see what it would do, and to make it more challenging frankly. It seems so many games creators don’t get it. I don’t want to go back and back and back and wander around lost, but let me look myself if the trunk can be opened (with the help of the changing cursor – that’s plenty of hint), or if the cabinet is locked and if I don’t ‘get it’, don’t let me leave the area, or progress, if doing so will not send me off complete. Let it say instead, “There’s something else to do before I go.” Or something. And if I don’t know what that is, let me read my journal which will give me a graduated hinting system for my task, like “That painting over the fireplace intrigues me.” Then if I don’t know what to do with the painting, “I’m an expert art appraiser – my grandfather taught me a quick trick.” And if I don’t get that, “Using a pen knife I can figure out the painting’s age.” Etc etc. etc. Quit dumbing the games down – give the option of No Hints not even sparkly ones. Until I ask for guidance, right? Rant over.

WolfandMoon
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Review

[Post New]by WolfandMoon on Dec 16, 10 9:28 PM
What a beautiful and interesting game. It's nice and long. The graphics are good and I like how you have to figure things out. I hate easy games! This one's perfect!

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Dec 28, 10 2:17 AM
Spoiler Alert

I just finished this game and was not thrilled with it. I felt the CE bonuses were not worth the price, and that the game itself was a disappointment. I would recommend buying the Black Cat CE instead of this game. The Black Cat is a much better game. I think it has a better story and is more challenging, and I think the CE bonuses of that game were more so worth the price than the ones that came with Rue Morgue. There isn't much excitement to the Rue Morgue story, it is very straight forward and you are told what to do too much, where as with Black Cat, there is a lot more room for wandering around and figuring out things for yourself, and I prefer that kind of game. The Black Cat also has some good spooky moments, where as Rue Morgue was not spooky or creepy at all.

The ending of Rue Morgue wasn't very interesting either. I found myself getting pretty bored about halfway through the game, which had to do with not enough excitement in the story, as well as too much hand holding (being told which location to investigate next, instead of wandering around and finding it for myself like in the Black Cat). I forced myself to finish the game, since I paid $13.99 for it, and didn't want to waste that money, but I was not having fun while I was completing it and was just wishing for it to end soon. I played the bonus content, since I paid for it, and felt as if there was no point to it, and that all it felt like was a few tacked on hidden object scenes and puzzles. It did not enhance the game's story at all, and when I buy a CE, that is what I am hoping the bonus footage will do.

Even though this game came out before the Black Cat, you do not need to play this one to enjoy and understand the Black Cat. If you like linear IHOGs that do not allow you to wander around from location to location, and tell you where to investigate, then you might enjoy this game, but if you like a game that is more challenging and gives you room to wander around and have a say in where you investigate, I would recommend the Black Cat over this game to you.

[Post New]by yankeesonlygirl on Jan 22, 11 6:34 PM
I read the story when I was a kid, so I knew the culprit. Still it was a good game, good puzzles and it stayed pretty close to Poe's story.

d0080b
Stingray
Stingray
5,334 Posts

[Post New]by d0080b on Apr 18, 11 6:58 PM
Good game, beautiful graphics, interesting locations and engaging storyline. Puzzles were fun, length-of-play and entertainment value are right on... it's a game I will play more than once, I'm sure.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Aug 17, 11 7:17 AM
I just replayed this game for the first time since my original purchase when it was released. Because I waited so long it almost seemed like a whole new game - so it was very enjoyable. I never wrote a review then, so here goes.

This really was a beautiful and well made game, although not particularly challenging. I think ERS has definitely gone downhill a bit in terms of polish and cohesiveness - their earlier games like this one really were slightly better than those that have been released lately. There seemed to be more attention to detail and there were no annoying lags between scenes, like their newer games. The bonus was well done also.

Overall, this was a lovely game with smooth interaction, a good story and nice length. I found it worthy of playing more than once!

Ariztokat
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by Ariztokat on Oct 5, 11 7:06 PM
I have to say I was VERY disappointed in this game. I was expecting the quality and challenge I found in the Black Cat game. Not saying I don't like junkpiles, but so MANY? Last time I buy before I try.

[Post New]by Tremontaine on Dec 15, 11 2:00 PM
I've played this game several ties now (on an iPad0 and yesterday, it came up in the "daily deal" so i thought I'd play again. Like others, I am STUCK in the jail cell chapter, I am done found what i needed to find and I cannot exit this chapter. What do I do? Help? Anyone? Do I have to reinstall the game?
Thanks,
Andi

HELP!! Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Mar 20, 12 4:41 PM
The SG does not include the bonus SG. I am stuck with a pencil and do not know what to do next,

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 14, 12 6:38 AM
this game is a buy for us.----------doug & lisa

[Post New]by spiritlaughing on Dec 25, 12 12:51 PM
Well, I have just finished playing the CE and am not able to play any bonus section.

It wants to start playing the whole game all over again.

Game was good, not fantastic, but good and none of the puzzles took very much brain power. Graphics are ok, for me I like the darker side and look.

I would recommend the game, but not highly recommend.

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Revie

[Post New]by spiritlaughing on Dec 25, 12 1:56 PM
spiritlaughing wrote:Well, I have just finished playing the CE and am not able to play any bonus section.

It wants to start playing the whole game all over again.

Game was good, not fantastic, but good and none of the puzzles took very much brain power. Graphics are ok, for me I like the darker side and look.

I would recommend the game, but not highly recommend.
\ guess I expected more going by the title, but as the old adage says, you can't judge a book/game by its' cover. Nevertheless, I would go ahead and highly recommend it after all. There are plenty of HOS, and the puzzles are mildly stimulating the brain cells, but it's a great game just because it's there to play. So I played it,

Never mind....I finally figured it out. Note to self: Do not complain unless ALL avenues have been flushed out.

Go to: