Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Millennium Secrets: Emerald Curse

[Post New]by Laflamme on Apr 3, 10 10:09 AM
Not much that I can add to previous comments, other than when you have old school graphics a little antialiasing would help. And when you are supposed to be subtle it doesn't help to leave all cupboards and drawers open.

Nice game though with a good story and - despite the brutal graphics - well done animations.

[Post New]by happygrams18 on Apr 3, 10 10:27 PM
I truly loved this game. It kept my interest and the story line was very good and kept you wondering who, where and why. This is a game that I will play again. The only complaint I have is that when the people were talking, their lips did not match the words coming from them...looked a little goofy. The graphics are wonderful. I really liked how it ended, especially knowing there would be a continuation. Even though I liked the ending...I did not want the game to end. It was intriging, fun, and made you feel like you were right there experiencing everything. Thanks for a great game. I thank those that left comments about it as that is what made me decide to buy it.

LYNNEWHITNEY
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by LYNNEWHITNEY on Apr 4, 10 11:11 AM
I am sooooooooooo impressed with this game! I love it! Maybe I just haven't been swimming around this pond very much but I've not encountered a HOG with this much animation - this game and its animations are FABULOUS! I'm in Mexico now and with each completion of an area I hold my breath that the game will not be suddenly over - it's like being in the middle of a good book - savoring every chapter and not wanting it to end - especially that train ride. Good game!

Well, I was wrong. Someone mentioned someting about "if you liked Annabel you'll like this one ..." so I checked out Annabel - bought it after 15 minutes of play and am now officially HOOKED on these types of games! So I was wrong BIG FISH TIME - Emerald Curse is WONDERFUL (!!) but Annabel is miles ahead of Emerald Curse - WOW! If anyone knows any more like these - with all the animation (Annabel's annimation is amazzzzing!!) please let me know! MCF is one amazing type of game and I love them all (can't wait for the next!) but this / these are a different animal and wonderful in their own right. Thanks BF and all the BF fans!

Edited on 04/04/2010 at 6:43:27 PM PST

grover3e
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by grover3e on Apr 5, 10 1:11 PM
Enjoyed this one more than I thought I might, and I bought it. Sometimes quite easy, but some difficult points as well. Had a few episode of screen freezes near the end, which was quite annoying. I would definitely try a sequel, though.

3 1/2 of 5 stars for me.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Apr 5, 10 5:59 PM
Just finished the game. AWESOME! Can't wait for the second one.
Loved the story, gameplay, puzzles, graphics, characters, voices and of course, collecting items.
Thank you BFG.

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Apr 11, 10 9:34 PM
I really enjoyed the game. played for about 45 minutes for free and bought the game. The graphics are great and the story line was enjoyable.
I am so tired of hidden object games. They become tedious and are basically the same over and over again. This game was really refreshing and I am hoping that the next one will be just as entertaining. The only criticism I have is that there could be a little less dialog. I also liked the graphics being so clear and defined.

Off the subject of this game, I do hope there will be more Deleware St. John series and Dream Chronicles coming soon.

[Post New]by gogo2752 on Apr 13, 10 10:27 AM
I really like the gme but I have tried5 times to get in the basement or whatever it is and have entered the code as shown on the telescope not results. can you please help. did the walkthrough up to that point also. It will not open. Please hellllppp!!! de nise

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Jun 15, 10 12:32 PM
What a fascinating game! The grapics are awesome! The characters are animated with real speaking parts! The storyline kept our interest throughout the game. The puzzles were challenging, but very doable with a little thought and concentration. The games keep getting better and better. (I hope never to buy another game cluttered with junkpiles to find HOs that have no purpose in the game.) This game has good replay value. Definitely a great buy!!! Thanks to the developers and BFG for bringing us another quality game!

Varley
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Varley on Jul 4, 10 11:58 PM
I have to say Genkicoll recommended this game, so I thought I'd check it out. She was SO right! http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/87823.page#1616174

In this game there will be a lot of cursor waving and yes, opening drawers and doors to look for hidden items. This game does not present a text list of items as in a HOG, it is more an adventure game with HOG like qualities where dialog/monologue and thought guide your actions.

The game uses a game engine, so the characters are 'animated'. Hints are garnered by finding x number of bonus y items in each set of locations. Hints are given three at a time. So apparently, to get hints at all, you must find all y items to get 3 hints. I did not see a way to get one hint at a time. A location is comprised of 4-5 areas. Turning is achieved by clicking or double clicking turn arrows at right or left. A double click takes you immediately to the next area. Single click is slower.

The music features flute and guitar. Menu is regular options. The game features casual or advanced mode. In casual, which is what I played, locations of interest are indicated only after the cursor passes over them.

The storyline is good although there may be a little emphasis on cutscenes. Items are described in text at the top of the screen. I appreciated the fact that, once a site within a location is finished, there are no more sparkles. Except for items of story interest - like pictures - which the player will immediately be able to recognize.

There are mini-puzzles scattered within locations - in the demo all were very easy. Pattern matching, Master Mind look-alike, and jigsaw for example. There is a skip button that slowly loads, but most people won't need it. The only problem may be for the color-blind.

For the most part, the scenes were easy to see - bright and clear.

At the end of one hour's play I was wondering where the time went. I had planned to play for half that time. A definite buy for me.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Aug 27, 10 9:17 AM
The graphics are so unrefined I just cannot otherwise enjoy this game.

Even in advanced mode most everything is labeled or spelled out. The mini games are very easy.

Too bad, since the story line itself could be engaging. In this case I would rather read the book.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Oct 6, 10 7:03 AM
What a surprise, I didnt even know I had purchased this game.
I loved it!!!
Graphics were great and a pretty good story. Its a nice long game for me that is.

Have a great gaming day

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 19, 10 1:22 PM
If you like this game, you should also try the new game (same developers): "Sinister City". Happy gaming

Thaletta
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Thaletta on Oct 27, 10 9:32 PM
Excellent! !!!! I loved the graphics and the music as well as the story line. Cant wait for the sequel. Thanks BFG excellent!

[Post New]by joker300 on Mar 23, 11 4:18 AM
can anybody tell me how to get the tile up off the floor in the basement? i have everthing else, need that last card,wont let me pick it up. thanks.

MimiG19
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by MimiG19 on Mar 25, 11 6:49 PM
I meant for this to be directed to the Help department, but perhaps someone here can assist in my dilemma: I have been trapped in the basement for about 6 months, whereupon I gave up to save my sanity. (well, not really). I'm wondering if my game is frozen at this point, as nothing at all happens when I click on the valves needed to open the door. I like the game/graphics very much indeed, and I thought to start over to see if that would loosen things up. Instead, I hope a suggestion can be given so that I can finish the game. Thanks in advance for any help.

Pat_ric_ia
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by Pat_ric_ia on Apr 8, 11 7:52 AM
Hi all, I've just come back to this game (which I bought some time ago). I think I finished it first time around but having looked at it again and played just the first part, I feel so frustrated by the lack of action that I'm considering deleting it. I've read through the reviews and most people have found the game to be really good. I can't see where they are coming from.
I do really need to free up some space so I can download new games so I think it's going to have to go. Most of my games I love and can't part with but this one is an exception.
Love to all, Pat_ric_ia x

Meritre
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by Meritre on Jun 24, 11 1:25 AM
I loved the demo, and also loved that all hidden objects were directly related to what you're trying to do in game. The graphics are nice, the story looks like it is going somewhere, and it's all 'round entertaining. I plan to buy the full version.

Great Game

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Jul 25, 11 5:41 AM
The sequel to this game just came out, so I decided to try this game first. I thought the game was great. Note that I am not a casual gamer. I am a hard-core gamer, and yet I thoroughly enjoyed this game. As others have said, for the most part, it is pretty easy. However, for me the bottom line for any game is playability and fun. I had a fantastic time playing the game. It's a fun game and there really were no frustrating annoyances for me. It played exactly the way it was supposed to.

Note that this is NOT a standard Hidden Object Game (HOG). The irony is that you do have to find tons of objects throughout the game; but the method of finding them is totally different than most HOGs. The game consists of cut scenes and dialogues between the characters with actual voices being used. You don't control the conversations, but you can skip them. I found them interesting. They are used to set up each new scenario. Then, right away you have to find objects in each scenario (more on this shortly) and there are various puzzles interspersed throughout each scenario. The puzzles were interesting and varied and intelligently done. They made sense in the context of the game. Also, note that the navigation is different. The game transports you to each new scene and then you use arrows on the Left and Right to move around. Sometimes, you zoom in, and the bottom arrow, zooms you out.

As far as finding objects goes, this is not the standard HOG where you zoom into a cluttered scene and have a list of objects to find, with a random clicking penalty and a Hint Meter that you have to wait to recharge. For the most part, you pick up one object and then it tells you that you have to find x number of pieces of that object. I don't mean that you have to find parts of an object and assemble it. For instance, you find a scroll and it tells you that you have to find 9 more scrolls. The items are red until you find all of them and then they turn green. So you look around for the scrolls and many times thay are in plain sight. Other times, you click on boxes to move them and then the scroll is revealed. You can zoom into closets and drawers and then the objects are easily visible. There is no random clicking penalty because you're not really in a close-up dedicated HOG scene. You're looking for objects in all the scenes. The objects are easy to see once you find them. The fun is finding out where they are. I found it interesting and clever.

Highly recommended.

Edited on 07/25/2011 at 5:48:48 AM PST

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Aug 15, 11 11:35 AM
Bought this one because I enjoyed the demo for the sequel wanted to play this first .After I had got used to the "Eyes" and the moving teeth it was a great game .. held my interest, as I am getting bored with the latest hogs.. Loads of stars for the storyline graphics etc. congrats to developers.. I am now going to get sunk into Millennium secrets 2
Thanks Big fish.. until now I was having trouble spending my credits !!!

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Dec 3, 11 6:00 PM
What a delightful game!! So refreshing to play a game that gets away from the HOS! I do like HOS, but it is really fun to play a game with such charm. Enjoyed watching the animations and graphics, quite nice. Game filled with sliding boxes and rocks, knocking out walls, opening drawers and closets and breaking away floor tiles to pick up clues and inventory items...and you really don't know when and where to do it. Some sparkles, but not frequent, you have to wait. Hint button good, but only gives you a flash. And God forbid if you chose the wrong direction to go! Definately worth the money. What a joy!

Go to: