awvines
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for The Mystery of the Crystal Portal: Beyond the Horizon

[Post New]by awvines on Apr 9, 11 1:33 PM
For $2.99 this is a great game. The graphics are indeed nicely done, the music not intrusive, and the game play logical. No problem wearing out sneakers with this game, it is mostly linear with a bit of trekking to nearby rooms. Items are never tiny (sometimes they are quite large and still cleverly hidden) but sometimes are a challenge to find.

I don't mind the "drop in the circle" kind of HOG (at least this one isn't a FROG). Yes, none of the objects needed to get the battery have to do with the battery, but really each scene is one big HOG broken up into pieces, instead of slogging through 20 random items to get the key that has nothing to do with smoking pipes, quill pens and apple cores. I like having the visual to go by as well as text (hover your cursor over the item and you'll get a description. Very helpful except when you already didn't know what a demijohn was!)

None of the puzzles are too obscure to figure out, although none are really original either. Who knew you could solve a Tower of Hanoi in so few moves?!? Playing these games gives you skilz!

It took me the whole hour just to get to the end of the train station, so I think the length is just fine for a DD. It's relaxing, and an easy punch on that Game Club Card!

Annie

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for The Mystery of the Crystal Portal: Beyond the Horizon

[Post New]by Athena99 on Apr 9, 11 7:59 PM
I thought the game was kinda cute. One way to look at it is instead of seeing it as being annoying having to find a lot of items to accomplish something inane, see it as an elaborate hidden object list that one can only get in pieces instead of being entirely listed at the bottom of the screen and all the objects in junk pile format. I like the graphics very much and music although I think they could have played it a little more often. It isn't the greatest game but as a DD I think I'll get it.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Apr 12, 11 4:46 PM
Well. Not my favorite type of game, and I would never have paid full price for it, but for a DD, it was a deal... long game play, beautiful graphics, music was not annoying, no running back and forth like a crazy person. I just personally don't care for an entire game (minus the mini-games) to be those drop down, "key hole" type games. I much prefer true IHOGs, but for those of you who do like this type of game, you will not be disappointed!! It's LOADED things to find and has tons of different scenes to explore with very little returning to the same scene... just forward, forward, forward!! (I like that... but it makes for linear play, and I don't like that so much... I'd rather be able to piece things together using critical thinking skills...) I recommend you try before you buy, if this genre is not your usual cup of tea, this game may pleasantly surprise you!

3 out of 5 stars in my book

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Apr 19, 11 9:16 AM
Just finished playing and I didn't want it to end. I loved everything about it. Incredible, beautiful, detailed graphics, surely some of the best I've ever seen in a game. Good puzzles as well. Can't wait for the next one.

Meritre
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by Meritre on May 30, 11 12:51 PM
Looked like it'd be a fun game, but I won't waste my time on hidden objects where you only get three or so at a time, and a new one each time you find something else. There are games out there that are fun, and actually allow you to take a break from one object if you find it frustrating to find, and come back to it. I quit with 55 minutes of free game play left, and that was me giving it a chance after I realised what kind of game it was going to be. I wouldn't even spend $2.99 on it, given the other great and fun games on this site.

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on May 30, 11 2:16 PM
One thing I love about BFGames is you get to try them for an hour before buying. That has saved me from so much game anguish! In this game,I think having Igor as a sidekick is the most fun thing about this game. After an hour of playing I'm so glad that all I have to do next is click the little uninstall trash can!! Enjoy for those who did!

vezzettj
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by vezzettj on May 30, 11 11:14 PM
I'm obviously in the minority on this game... I can't stand it and I'm still mad at myself for being suckered into buying the first one (as a Daily Deal).. and also suckered into wasting more of my time trying this demo (TWICE!).

I'm not a big fan of the "key objects" anyway but at least Treasure Seekers had the items make some kind of sense... I'm mean, really, what could a mask possibly have to do with a sugar bowl??? I know this is just a game... but I'd RATHER have a list of unrelated junk to look through to find one useful item than not know what I'm looking for until: it start sparkling at me to "open the object", to see an item list of three, that expands as you find single items, that requires an object that needs more items, some of which aren't visible (why would you click on the herbs to find the bowl behind them??), that send you to another room, to pick up a towel, that you need a statuette to pick up??? It is right there on the back of the chair... I can see it and there is even a path to it... and so on...

The only reason I tried the demo (again!) was I didn't make it 15 minutes the first time (or this time either) and so I hadn't felt the need to write a review... and so I didn't document in my spreadsheet how I felt about this game (after all, I could always try it again...) Anyway, I have no idea where all the positive reviews are coming from (and not just on this site either), this is still a junkpile but it leads you through sooooo many hoops that I just get annoyed... The only GOOD things I can say are: there does not appear to be a click penalty (and that is necessary in this game) and you can hover over a picture to get a textual name... Not that this is always usefu but it has slightly lowered the annoyance factor for me... until I find the object I'm looking for and another "key object" opens up.

Sorry for my rant on this game... I hope those who have purchased it do enjoy it. For the rest of you, I did try to warn you!

MikiB007
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by MikiB007 on May 31, 11 1:16 PM
Vezzettj - I feel your pain! I tried it for an hour and thought 'this isn't so bad'...
Then i brought it...
Then half an hour later I started thinking 'hmm',
Fast forward an hour and my silent thoughts became mumbles under my breath.
Here I am 15 minutes later yelling at the computer and scaring my cat!
This is an awful game, truly tedious. Sorry but it had to be said. Yes the pictures are beautiful, but if I want lovely pictures I'll go to a gallery. Some of the pieces are impossible to find and there is no logic to what you are searching for.For example - I need an axe. In front of me is an axe. Do I pick up the axe? NO!! I have to collect a candle, a mask, some wooden thing and a piece of jewellery! The real mystery of the crystal portal is will anyone ever stick it out to the end of this game!
For the sake of my sanity and my cat I'm uninstalling this game.
Apologies for the rant. I'll get myself a glass of wine and some chocolate and I'm sure I'll feel better...

Edited on 05/31/2011 at 1:17:54 PM PST

[Post New]by PrettyBlueEyes78 on May 31, 11 9:50 PM
Oh my goodness gracious! I hated this game. I played 30 min of the demo and found myself wanting to rip my hair out when I *spoiler*? [/color]tried to pick up the tea pot and needed to go back to the hall to get the hand towel but couldn't pick up the hand towel until I found 6 absolutely USELESS items![color=#000062] I mean really. I usually play these games with my 5 year old. She likes helping me with the hidden object scenes. She actually looked at me and said "Goodness gracious mama, this is too much. My eyes hurt!".
I've been reading posts for a while now, and never really felt the need to add my 2 cents. This game frustrated me to the point that I actually felt the need to vent. Some people on here might like it. For me, too many hidden objects. I can say one good thing about the game though.The graphics were very well done. I can't say anything about music, sounds, or voices because I keep my volume down. Anyway! For thos fishies that like spending most of your time (playing a game) searching for useless stuff, this would probably be a buy. I like more adventure, and thinking, and figuring things out. In case you hadn't guessed this is a no buy for me. Not even at $2.99.

*Edit* And after reading my post I can see that where I tried to change the color of my text it didn't work. Ha ha. So I fixed it Yay me.

Edited on 05/31/2011 at 9:54:22 PM PST

sheilaclown
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by sheilaclown on Jun 2, 11 4:02 AM
so I forgot that I tried this before and used 10 minutes trying to get the cursor (curses!!!) to stay still and/or click on anything. GRRRRRRR I don't get why you would dust it off and sell it again, even at a discount, if it doesn't work.
p.s. I have really nice things to say about "Spirits of mystery:amber maiden" and "Tearstone"

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Jun 5, 11 4:39 AM
I really enjoyed this game. Igor cracked me up with his comments. Did not notice any problem from a visual standpoint.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jun 5, 11 5:02 AM
Usually, I don't care for Drop the Object In the Circle game, but there have been a few I enjoyed, so when this came up as a COTW, I decided to give it a go. When I found, after only a couple of minutes, that to pick up a pair of glasses, I had to find a guitar, etc., that was enough for me. Oh, really? And that's how the game goes? The only good part of it was Igor. Wouldn't have this game for free.

Meritre
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by Meritre on Jun 7, 11 1:56 PM
It looks like some others agree. In essence, this isn't a key object/drop in the circle game. They merely make it look like that for those who prefer that style. What this is, is really just a list of three or so objects at a time, where they reward you an unrelated object upon finding everything.

Cultistmum
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

[Post New]by Cultistmum on Sep 3, 11 11:29 AM
I agree with those who found this annoying. I love the idea of the bubble where you find objects that have some meaning to what you are supposed to achieve - like finding the planks to build a crate, or the bolts to secure a hatch. But it really is damnably irritating to have to find a large selection of random junk to pick up another item of random junk. I actually thought the bubble puzzles had more relevance in the first Crystal Portal game. The ending was a bit abrupt, too; I thought I had done something wrong so I checked a walkthrough and found I actually had finished. Very nice graphics, I agree, but so very slow in loading scenes I could make a cuppa in between one level and another.

GreenMyEyes
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by GreenMyEyes on Sep 23, 11 3:17 PM
I've just started, and I find this a lovely game. I really enjoy looking for beautiful hidden objects rather than the normal boring mousetrap, train engine, and mittens.

GreenMyEyes
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by GreenMyEyes on Oct 11, 11 3:48 PM
Beautiful game -- I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Hope the sequel will be out soon.

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Oct 27, 11 8:48 PM
I hope I didn't spend more than $2.99 for this extremely BORING game! The "bubble" for finding hidden objects never ended. I had to use the hint button frequently as some objects were too difficult to find. While the graphics were colorful, the story was weak. I should have demoed the game.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 3, 12 4:13 PM
This is a nice eye catching game because the good graphics, I enjoy the click and open circle of ****, I like the interaction, the story is nice, overall is a good game to play.

Gayls
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by Gayls on May 18, 12 12:07 PM
How long is this game, does anyone know yet?

[Post New]by wellychocolate on Oct 19, 12 1:06 AM
The games ok ish if you like those find the bits to make a whole games but find strange the use of "Marty Feldmans" face ok game but not for me.

Go to: