Varley
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Hotel

[Post New]by Varley on Jun 18, 10 3:26 AM
by Cateia

This adventure game uses a game engine and has 'live' characters. The beginning cutscene is over 4 minutes long and can be skipped but not clicked through. A tutorial is offered at the beginning of play. Some keyboard keys can/must be used depending on your style of play. As a detective, the object of the game is to find a necklace. There is a suggestion of the paranormal involved, but at least in the demo, no hint of an Egyptian cult. This is a large game file so allow time for the download.

Walking may be a little troublesome, having for the most part to click in certain areas, but a nice feature is the double click to advance directly to the next scene - if you've been there already. A little inconvenient is that, to advance your character at a more than leisurely pace, the space bar must be used. Once you find an item, you are given the choice of picking it up or looking at it first.

In the game play area, there is inventory, help, hint and menu. Inventory and inventory items can be dismissed by a right click (which is not mentioned in the help or tutorial). Items can be combined. There is room for about 12 items and is scrollable to accept more. Help reveals shortcuts that are not given by the tutorial
(and vv.). Hint indicates things to see and walk locations only. Menu offers video and audio setting that are advanced, quit, resume, go to main menu, save, load, and help.

Game data is saved on exit. The game is not timed nor directed - the player may wander freely throughout. Music is appropriate for the setting. Dialog must be clicked away. There is some voice in the initial cutscene. Cues are given by cursor changes, text, and bright dots on areas of interest. Locations were clear and although not bright, were not hard to view. Dialog was in a good font and easy to read.

This game requires directional sense, thought, and at least intermediate puzzle solving. There is a walkthrough available at http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/hotel-walkthrough/

P.S. I just read the other reviews. I never had a problem with exit not saving. Granted, I only tried it once, but I still had my room key when I came back. Perhaps this has been fixed? And yeah, I found it very weird that she had a will but not a name. Duh?

In reference to a comment above: think of programming as building a house. All by yourself. To code and spec.

Rkatidid
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Rkatidid on Jul 4, 10 9:22 AM
I don't know about you, but I prefer games whose graphics are made by mature people rather than being done by overly pubescent youngsters. When women are depicted by over-emphasized body parts, we all lose. Big ****, sway back, tight clothing, etc And the opening scene, in a bikini with a crotch shot, is just ridiculous ( and the artist has severe problems with proportions (lol). I refuse to feed this type of half-baked realism, no matter how common place it has become.

Edited on 07/04/2010 at 9:23:13 AM PST

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Jul 10, 10 5:43 AM
Just finished the game. It was not the best adventure I ever played but it definitely by far was not the worst. It kept me entertained for a good while, most of the riddles were very logical and not difficult. I know several people considered the riddles too easy and they were a bit on the easy side, but I have to admit I liked that as I hate it when I consistently have to check a walkthrough. Makes me feel so stupid . The riddles here could have been a touch more difficult, but overall it was a nice relaxing game.

I can't agree with the criticism on the graphics. The surroundings were all nicely done, especially in the hotel. Okay, the women all had somewhat wide hips but apart from that I didn't found them to be drawn "inappropriately" or too sexy. I have seen far worse in several other games.

/Spoiler/
Cleopatra was a bit too square and bland, but the death kid was really creepy-looking.
/Spoiler end/

The story went a bit too mystical for me towards the end but that's my personal taste. A lot of thoughts and ideas went into the story, that is obvious and I always like it when developers go through the effort to come up with a good story. Some bits were a bit too easy to see through, but those were only details. I also could have done with less philosophical dialogues in the middle of the game.

/Spoiler/
At the end, I thought the scene with an allmighty godlike mummy of great powers just slapping a guy like a silly child was ridiculous. Couldn't there have been something more impressive than that silly slapping?
/Spoiler end/

All in all, a nice adventure. I'm glad I bought it and I might play it again at a later date.

therat03
Clownfish
Clownfish
646 Posts

[Post New]by therat03 on Jul 11, 10 7:04 PM
I just finished the Mac version and enjoyed it a lot.

Biggi (really?!) had an *interesting* walk LOL; congrats to the animators, I am sure they had fun. Not precisely my cup of tea but the females weren't nearly as offensive as some I have seen. However, they did have that rendered glassy stiffness that I really don't like (why I prefer traditional cel work in many applications)

I did have to resort to the walkthrough a couple times, not because the riddles were hard but it was really not obvious. I also have problems of using "logic" in games in which destroying property is the "logical" answer and no one comes running at the noise

It's not the most logical of storylines but quite acceptable. Length was good too.

Only one bug that I ran into happened when I pressed inventory during the full screen photo of Veronica and Theresa; the game crashed immediately. However, there was no problem hopping back in and finishing cleanly. This was on a 2009 27" i5 iMac running 10.6.

Still, a very enjoyable game and I hope we see more of these type of adventure games show up in future.

Edited on 07/11/2010 at 7:07:24 PM PST

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Jul 21, 10 8:47 AM
Excellent game.
Loaded fine.Ran for me with zero glitches.
Great story that held my interest.
Graphics were nice and crisp on my machine.
Length was good but not great. Could have been longer considering it was an adventure but wasn't so short as to not be worth it.
Hint button was convenient as it showed the options available on the screen. Just a functional button that did not need to refill.
Music was not annoying or intrusive. Appropriate to the scenes.
Reasonably challenging overall but not difficult.
Liked this concept and will be interested in what these developers come up with next.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Aug 2, 10 1:16 PM
This game was good, however I agree with the comments that it certainly was not on the level of higher quality adventure games (similar in concept) like the Art of Murder or Chronicles of Mystery series, for example. The graphics were so-so, it seemed like they were quite dated to me, but I think this actually is a newer game. The navigation was easy, and the game had a smooth and logical flow for the most part, especially if you play these types of adventure games. The story was good too, and overall it was very nice, though short for an adventure. Voice overs throughout would have made it better.

I enjoyed it as an interim adventure game, in between Nancy Drew and a few good IHOGs... I would also recommend it for people new to adventure games to try to get the feel for this type of navigation and flow, etc. I would play other similar games by this developer.

[Post New]by L_Sugar on Aug 24, 10 1:16 PM
This is a very interesting and engaging game. I like the adventure aspect of it. I'm sure i'm not as fast as other gamers on here and since i wanted to use less hints, my trial time expired rather quickly, Anyway, i decided to get the game and after continuing on in the game to the next day (day 2) i did not like it.---to dark for me. I aslo must agree that the hint button could have been a lot more helpful especially as the game got more complicated. It is still intriguing and a wonderful concept but i dont like the issues being explored. I wish i can exchange it for something less dark

bunnydog
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,878 Posts

[Post New]by bunnydog on Sep 11, 10 8:00 PM
I just finished this game and really liked it. The graphics were clear and some of the scenes had a lot of interesting details in them. The animation of the detective was a bit jerky, but her personality made up for it. I wished there had been a skip button on some of the puzzles, but with persistence ( and the walkthrough) at times, I was able to get through them.

It took a while for me to adjust to the style of game play since I had been playing a lot of hidden object games. But once I got my head around the idea that this is an adventure game, I was able to adapt my way of thinking.

For me, it is a game.

Horgy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

Dialog is now silent

[Post New]by Horgy on Sep 17, 10 7:49 PM
Hello,

I just started this game and was going through the easy tutorial. There was dialog out loud at that point but as soon as Brightstone goes through the hotel doors, the dialog goes silent and you only see it on the screen. My speakers are fine as the music is playing but I want the dialog to play out loud too. Is there a setting I have missed?

Thanks.

Pam

Is all Dialog in Hotel via subtitle only?

[Post New]by thanntasia on Oct 1, 10 5:15 PM
My husband and I started this game, but all the dialog seems to be only via subtitles. We are playing it together on a very large TV (73") and the dialog is difficult to read even at the lowest resolution. Most games we played had both spoken and subtitled dialog. Am I missing something or is this normal for this game? Thanks

diggermonty
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by diggermonty on Dec 9, 10 8:05 PM
A neat adventure game where you have to actually search for clues and do some thinking. The characters were belivable and well drawn.
I really enjoyed the interface. very usable and practical.
My teenage son thought the heroine had a nice walk when viewed from behind. Kids!
Upon checking it out, I do believe he has something there. Am i being sexist? Sorry. Just a late evening musing.
If you missed an inventory item you had the opportunity to back track to get it.
No technical issues. A very good 8/10.

[Post New]by Nighting on Jan 29, 11 8:41 AM
I was looking for a good adventure game without the HOG (Tiring of revisiting the same junkpiles over and over again in most casual games.) Stumbled on Hotel and what a gem! Yes there are some issues tech and graphical wise but lets keep in mind. This is no massive 1+GB massive game. It comes down to a humble 150Mb. What would one expect? I was pleasantly surprised with what I got. And yes the characters seem a bit low graph but the environments look amazing. Wonderfully textured and with full screen support. Yes this is a rough gem but a gem no doubt. The bottom line for me is that it is fun to play. I usually download a game, create a profile then play it in bits over the next few days. With Hotel I finished it in one sitting after download. Why? Got me hooked. Got me interested. Got me curious. Wanting more. And when you leave the Hotel/Castle to continue the story I was addicted. Mystical journey one gets embarked on. I just could not wait to see what awaited me on the next screen. Now that's a game for me! A good game! And by then I did not notice any graphical/tech issues anymore. An adventure game that may not show much in the 1HR demo but really unfolds itself later as you progress. Can't say that of many "top" casual games out there now. Those that bores one very soon with their repetition. Bottom line. Yes it's not the best out there but it is fun to play. And kept me interested. That's enough for me.

[Post New]by yerengezgin on Feb 8, 11 2:20 PM
Soo short and soo easy! And no logic at all... Why do someone carry a bucket of water if she/he doesn't need it? The story line could be much more logical. And Egypt, King Arthur etc... in the same story! Oh, yes, the holy grail solves every problem!.. I'm sick of these things and think this game sucks!!!

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on May 7, 11 1:09 PM
For 2.99 it's worth a shot. Hopefully it is the new version of the game that is downloaded'

nabsuc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
464 Posts

[Post New]by nabsuc on May 8, 11 5:28 AM
i must say at first I thought it was going to be so boring no voices and hands flapping all over the place, but I'm half way through and dont really mind the quietness because sometimes when I played Syberia Oscar drove me mad saying Kate Walker all the time it drove me bonkers really!! and has for the hands all over the place in this game I suppose it would be even more boring if they all just stood there like stuffed dummies anyway back to the game now just leaving the Hotel and castle now and heading down the road to investigate the village don't know how much more there is to go but was worth the buy up till now.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on May 8, 11 1:35 PM
yerengezgin wrote:Soo short and soo easy! And no logic at all... Why do someone carry a bucket of water if she/he doesn't need it? The story line could be much more logical. And Egypt, King Arthur etc... in the same story! Oh, yes, the holy grail solves every problem!.. I'm sick of these things and think this game sucks!!!

The water is needed actually. LOL maybe its no so easy after all eh? There are all levels of players here. I've been playing RPG and Adventure games for years.. but not everyone has. Fair is fair.. if a game is too hard or too easy the great thing is here you can demo (most) and read reviews by some very awesome fish that are great at it. The you can find a game that is just right for you and your level of play. No need to make others who might find this a hard game feel bad.

Personally, even with years of experience I thought the game had just the right amount of challenge. The puzzles were very unique, kept my little gray cells working, but not burning up lol.

As far as the woman in the game, she actually looked like she had an average build and was proportionate. No size 3 or 5 she is! A popular kids doll "BB" is way worse than this! Not to mention a lot of console games..waaaaaaaay worse! She wasn't unrealistically drawn, her waist wasn't impossibly tiny. I'm sure if they made her "unattractive" some people would have been offended and commented"What "pretty" girls can't be detectives?!" Its a game, an animation. Jessica Rabbit and Betty Boop are worse too, but they are also meant to poke fun lol! Funny..I noticed no one commented the other women in the game had a different type of figure. (skinny small bust line) Anyway I was not offended and if you are you are not forced to buy the game and can vote with your s.

At any rate this was is an awesome game and anyone that got it 2.99 (I accidentally bought it last year on a sale thinking it was a part of the HOG Haunted Hotel Series ) It has an excellent tutorial for anyone who has never played a Adventure or Large File Game! I think it can be played by both beginners and exp players like myself. Plus you can try it!

For a Adventure game I give it 4 s I think a lot of HOGers, that play on "hard/experienced, hate sparkles and handholding would it and should give it a try!

Happy Gaming!

nabsuc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
464 Posts

[Post New]by nabsuc on May 11, 11 7:21 AM
Well after taking a couple of breaks from playing Hotel I have finally finished! i must say I enjoyed playing the game I noticed at the end she left the Hotel without her suitcase why she even bothered taking it in the first place I don't know, she never got changed LOL the same was in syberia 1 and syberia 11 she took a suitcase but never got changed when she did actually get changed in syberia11 they belonged to either the shop owner or the monks but well worth the D D.

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on May 11, 11 11:24 PM
WiccanWoman530 wrote:
yerengezgin wrote:Personally, even with years of experience I thought the game had just the right amount of challenge. The puzzles were very unique, kept my little gray cells working, but not burning up lol.

I just finished the game and I agree, I, too, have a lot of rpg and adventure game experience but I enjoyed this game a lot. The story is great. The dialogue was realistic for our time but the detective was so arrogant and clueless I couldn't believe that she was chosen for anything.

What a fun game. I give this game . I am going to see what other games Cateia has made. If they're as good as this one then I'll definitely get them

[Post New]by prohow on Jun 12, 11 1:10 PM
I've tried to play twice. Both times the game stopped at different places. Thankfully I didn't pay for it. WORK OUT THE GLITCHES!!!!!

kelexia
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by kelexia on Jun 27, 11 9:43 AM
I just finished this game.I paid my 4.99 for it and i got my moneys worth!.I enjoyed it and i had alot of fun with it.I would not play it again like i will the Syberias or SH The Awakened but i liked it.The graphics are good and i did not find it too dark.Even though they have an adjustment for audio there is no talking characters just her thoughts i had to read the conversations but that's fine with me.It's worth a go.

Go to: