GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for The Inquisitor

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Jun 2, 10 8:27 PM
wow...apparently, using the letter B followed by parentheses ) creates an unintended and inappropriately placed smiley in your text....who knew. The smiley inserted randomly in my post was not intentional....nothing to smile about in this game.

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Jun 3, 10 12:59 AM
The following comments are based solely on the demo:

I'll probably buy this game eventually - but it'll be because the story caught my attention, not because I enjoyed playing the game itself. As others have said, some of the objects blended in too well with the background and were just too difficult to find without a hint. And while it was nice that the hints did reload, they took too long to do so when you had three or four objects that you just couldn't find on your own. If it weren't for the story, I wouldn't even bother giving this game a second thought.

magilligan
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by magilligan on Jun 3, 10 4:01 AM
Not the best game but not to bad, i can say that now because
I HAVE FINISHED IT.
I did have to use quite a few of the hints to find some of the hidden objects
(one of your oldies so eyesight not so good) but some of them were really hard to find. Your walkthrough came at just the right time as I only found 1 piece of cloth.
It was trial any error to get the well open just kept turning the wheels till the symbols changed colour which gave me a clue as to what had to be done.
But now could I have a game that does not tax my brain so much, just one I need to give the brain a rest for a while.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Jun 3, 10 5:31 AM
Marinersfan04 wrote:I liked the drawings and the scenes. I would LOVE some games set in the middle ages. Would it be possible for a Brother Cadfael mystery to be made into a game, I wonder?

That said, I had too much difficulty in this one finding the objects, ended up squinting at the screen. Not good

Yes,Brother Cadfael games would be AWESOME!

jtrigg
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by jtrigg on Jun 3, 10 10:18 PM
If I could get the game working it would probably be good.The tech flt seems to be affecting multiple players .

Lisa_111
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa_111 on Jun 4, 10 9:16 AM
I played the demo, but have decided not to purchase. It didn't hold my attention.

Snookie1100
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by Snookie1100 on Jun 4, 10 10:00 AM
Have to agree with most.............way to dark and drab for my liking. And if you're not exactly on the object as they would like it won't pick up............I could see the darn thing but it wouldn't let me get it. Got too frustrated and deleted the trial after about 10 minutes. Definitely a NO buy for me!!

zazu2008
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by zazu2008 on Jun 5, 10 11:44 AM
I love mysteries and I thought I would like this game, but I did not find it interesting at all. The story wasn't that interesting to me and the screen with the story moved too slow. I would love a Brother Cadfael mystery game.

thebud1
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by thebud1 on Jun 5, 10 2:02 PM
First all the music was dreadful, some of the things were TIME consuming...for instance when you have to go to the mill and you click on it and the eye shows up, so the only thing I have to use is a stick or a lance, I couldn't really tell what I had but this really just wasn't worth the time or the effort to continue, would I buy this one. NO!

mztb
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by mztb on Jun 6, 10 6:53 AM
I have to agree with the negative comments about this one, too slow, too dark, historically inaccurate and the English is very poor, grammar, syntax etc. A definite no-no!!

[Post New]by Whoviating on Jun 6, 10 6:11 PM
We (my wife and I) have both played The Inquisitor through almost to the end. And we had the same reaction, so this is two votes: Could have been a good game but wrecked by several flaws, some minor but some serious. Maybe 2 out of 5. Maybe.

Among the minor flaws were the length of the cut scenes. They do drag.

A more serious problem is a common complaint here: the darkness of the **** and STD scenes. We didn't find the **** scenes overly hard, but we agree that too many times, an object, once found by a hint, produced a reaction of "That was a (whatever the object was supposed to be)?" And too often, even when you found an object, it wasn't enough to click on it, you had to click on the right spot on it.

In the STD scenes, our complaint about the darkness is stronger. It was dark enough that on several occasions, even hints didn't help beyond pointing to the general area and even when the difference was found by random clicks there, you couldn't tell what the difference was supposed to have been.

But it was the mini-games that were the real problem. I like the mini-games (my wife prefers the **** scenes). But there was one I found quite irritating: A door is held with four padlocks. You pick the locks with your "hairpin." But it turns out that not only do you have to pick all four locks, you have to pick them in the right order! That made the puzzle pointlessly tedious, an example of, in a great old phrase, "adding complexity without adding profundity."

It gets worse. As others have pointed out, there is no "skip" option. That is a very serious flaw because it means that if you meet one type of game you just can't get the hang of, you're stuck. You cannot proceed.

And then, almost at the end, you get hit with a "15 puzzle," a notoriously difficult puzzle that has been driving people nuts for over 100 years. You can't solve it? Game's over. You're stuck. You can't skip it - and worst of all, you can't even quit it! There is no way to get out, no way back to the menu, no way to say "I'll try again later." The only way out is (for a PC) control-alt-del. And if you do that and restart the game to try again, you find yourself about two chapters back in the story, having to play them over again. That is incredibly bad programming.

We have bought lots of games from BigFish. We have never before been as disappointed in one as we are with The Inquisitor.

[Post New]by Whoviating on Jun 6, 10 6:13 PM
Um, in my comment, for some reason whenever I used the two letter abbreviation for "Hidden Object," it got converted to four asterisks. I have no idea why.

Lunarea
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by Lunarea on Jun 6, 10 6:25 PM
I think there's a swearword filter and it filters it as a swearword

(Offtopic, sorry, but I'd noticed it in several posts and it took me a while to figure out)

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jun 6, 10 6:31 PM
I have a solution for the 15 slider that you mentioned. I'll send it to you in a PM.

Edited on 06/06/2010 at 6:32:30 PM PST

nanny2x2
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by nanny2x2 on Jun 6, 10 7:39 PM
Too many cut scenes for me and also some of the Hos were
just too small for these old eyes to see. Also as someone else
mentioned that after 3 random clicks it timed out, so this is a
no go for me.

I also didn't like the find the difference games, some of the things
were just about impossible to see. Without a hint I would have
used up the 60 minutes trying to find a blade of grass.

[Post New]by Whoviating on Jun 6, 10 9:04 PM
LizzieK -

I had already tracked down your YouTube video and we used it successfully to get past the 15 puzzle. Thank you!

That just left the inane Well puzzle, another pointlessly complicated thing. What were these people thinking?

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jun 6, 10 9:26 PM
The story, which is based on the novel by Wolfgang Hohlbein, is a major component in this game. For me it was the force that carried me through this game. The monk, who has been sent to be the Inquisitor in this mysteriously plagued village, seems to find the unexpected at every turn. While unfolding the bizarre occurrences in the village he also is forced to remember and come to terms with his own personal tragedy that was long ago buried in his memory. The intertwining of the religious history and superstition of the medieval times makes for an eerie and haunting tale that I enjoyed.

Unfortunately the game play leaves much to be desired. I enjoyed the hidden object games and I liked that on subsequent play most of the objects are presented in a different order.

The find the differences games were probably the worst part of the game. Some of the “differences” were truly not visible at all. I played the game several times and I looked extremely closely at some of the items that I knew were the ones that had differences. Multiple times I looked for the difference that the game says is there and I could not see any difference, even with a magnifying glass.

The scenes throughout the game were too dark. Even with multiple adjustments to my monitor’s gamma the game screens just did not have normal clarity and visual quality that is needed for a hidden object game.

The mini-games were enjoyable except for the final two. The 15 shield slider in chapter seven wasn’t too difficult for me but any puzzle that tedious should have a skip option. The final puzzle at the well was especially difficult to line up. It turned out to be a somewhat boring trial and error chore.

I personally enjoyed the game for the story and for the opportunity to create a detailed video and written solution to the 15 slider puzzle in chapter seven. I really hope the game developers read the feedback from the players and make some improvements in their next offering.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jun 6, 10 9:29 PM
Whoviating wrote:LizzieK -

I had already tracked down your YouTube video and we used it successfully to get past the 15 puzzle. Thank you!

That just left the inane Well puzzle, another pointlessly complicated thing. What were these people thinking?
I am so glad the youtube solution helped you. I agree that the puzzles in this game should have had the skip option. Maybe they will do better next time.

[Post New]by rubadubdub on Jun 6, 10 10:16 PM
I'm stuck on the same puzzle. I have to close down my computer to get out of doing that Crest Slide puzzle near the end......what a disappointment. I too shall never get to finish this game.

Emmmms1974
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Emmmms1974 on Jun 7, 10 2:40 AM
I use BFG all the time and try practically all the new games, but I must admit that this is one of the worst I think I have ever played! I didn't get all the way through the trail, it was just so boring! Which is a shame really as it had such great potential!

Go to: