Four Houses DD Reviews?

Kegggie
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

Four Houses DD Reviews?

[Post New]by Kegggie on Jun 9, 10 12:32 AM
Has anyone got any comments on this game and has anyone got past level 99 or is it the last?

LilyCat
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

Re:Four Houses DD Reviews?

[Post New]by LilyCat on Jun 9, 10 12:41 AM
Just downloaded it and decided to buy after only a few minutes play. Looks to be the kind of game that would become a staple for spare moments, and the graphics are beautiful and a real change after so many cluttered HOG screens and manic TMs.

One thing, I've no recollection of playing the game before, but the demo started me on level 27, and I had to restart at level one before I could see what on earth it was all about. Has anyone else had that?

Looking forward to the challenge of Level 99!!

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Jun 9, 10 12:54 AM
I the graphics and colors are crisp and clear. The music is ok, I had it turned down low. It moves at a good pace but sadly it is not a game for me.

pat

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on Jun 9, 10 1:30 AM
When I started this game, I immediately had a good feel about it, because I had done chinese ink painting for several years, and the beautiful painting-type graphics took me back there. This is a seemingly simple match game, and at first I wasn't sure I would continue it. You match rows of objects by color or type of object, and in later levels, by numbers of objects in each square. As I played, I found the music and the play soothing.....until I screwed up a move! Then it suddenly became more challenging! My whole grid was thrown into confustion, and I struggled to get back in control. So ....maybe not so simple, after all.
This would be a good game to relax (unless you screw up..) and pass some time when you need a change from some of those HOG and Search and Find games.
I would say it's worth $2.99 DD just for the graphics alone.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jun 9, 10 1:52 AM
I just finished the demo. The board I was working on when the hour was up, somewhere around level 37 I think, seemed to pose the challenge of how to get a coin in a square where both rows are only 2 squares long. Up till then, the only challenge was a board with an empty square shape that didn't leave a whole lot of space for pieces that don't match - but I didn't have any real problem with that one either.

If there's an entertaining or interesting game here, the one hour demo didn't show it to me. I hope there will be some reviews about what the game is like *after* the first hour.

Edited on 06/09/2010 at 1:53:31 AM PST

jeannemaria
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by jeannemaria on Jun 9, 10 1:53 AM
I just tried this game. I think the tutorial could have been a bit better. I can not find out from HELP whether you can use the broom and the ink later. Sometimes I did NOT need or I did NOT want the broom or ink and I would want to save it for later. Could someone tell me if that is possible. I think i may get this game because it is different and for the D.D. price it is well worth it. I would not want to pay $6.99 for it.

and 1/2

Happy gaming

JerryInWales
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by JerryInWales on Jun 9, 10 2:46 AM
The BFG game description says 380 levels.

I find the broom & colour changer can sometimes be a disadvantage: yes you do seem to have to use them at the time they are presented

Mine started at level 1 I think, but the tutorial is a bit brief and only explained a couple of things after I had already discovered them!

kevabear
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by kevabear on Jun 9, 10 5:19 AM
Just tried the demo and quite enjoyed it. A different sort of game. Seems to get a bit harder as one goes along, and I really hadn't gotten to terribly far yet. A definite buy for me at the daily deal price! Try it, you might like it.

SueB990
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by SueB990 on Jun 9, 10 8:04 AM
I just click on an empty spot to get rid of the broom or the color changer, and it goes away. I found them to be a disadvantage too!!
I like this game because its a little different from the usual match type games. I only played a short time, but I'm sure it will get more challenging as it goes on!! I think this will be a purchase for me. Have a great day everybody!!

NANA5LOVE
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by NANA5LOVE on Jun 9, 10 8:47 AM
I like the game also because it is soothing and relaxing
I found that I also would like to save the ink and the broom for later, especially when it shows up at the very first of the game when I only have placed 2 or 3 tiles, all of a suddon I have a broom or ink that I don't have any use for.
I think the game is fun and can be played for a pop in when you have a few minutes to waste or just relax and play after a long day at work. It is a buy for me at 2.99.

vonniefaye
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

[Post New]by vonniefaye on Jun 9, 10 9:18 AM
Nice graphics, lovely colors, but BOREING. Sorry. Just not the game for me. Sure, I have a sore wrist from the hotdog game, but this game is not interesting enough to me to make me forget the pain. For everyone who loves this game...Good for you . I'll just keep my $2.99 in my pocket for now.

mdgram
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by mdgram on Jun 9, 10 10:10 AM
Tried the demo and it seems elementary to begin with. I'm sure it'll get more challenging. For $3 I think I'll try it, although what others are saying about level 99 concerns me. If everyone gets stuck there, it would mean there is still 2/3 of the game waiting. Wish anyone who has gotten past that would post.

Kegggie
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by Kegggie on Jun 9, 10 10:29 AM
Thanks for all the comments.

I have now tried the game and love the graphics but turned off the music after a bit. I prefer the journey version to the timed version, not least because I couldn't see how the timr was working. I wish that there was a way of comparing my scores at certain levels with others as I can't make up my mind whether to go for scores or finish a board. I like puzzle games so I think I may buy this one for relaxation.

Edited on 06/09/2010 at 10:30:48 AM PST

shawk
Manatee
Manatee
4,143 Posts

[Post New]by shawk on Jun 9, 10 12:37 PM
The graphics are pretty and the music is relaxing, but the game IMO is boring, if you like the music etc I would try Haiku Journey it is a word game I find relaxing to play.

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Jun 9, 10 12:53 PM
Just to thank each one of you who posted here so far. The feedback you give the rest of us is so helpful, and it seems like nearly every single one offers one more bit of info that the others didn't. I was thinking of buying this before I came to the forums to check on your opinions, but now that I have I KNOW it's a buy for me. Thank you, fellow fishes!

Slowglass
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Slowglass on Jun 9, 10 11:19 PM
Very nice graphics, relaxing Eastern music...and a match game that is deceptively simple. Have had the experience of 'losing control' of where a board was going, wiping out, losing a 'life' and then upon repeating the board, clearing it in no time, as though my mind had 'reset' somehow. Curious about the level 99 issue -- please anyone who has gotten past there DO post about how to do it. I'm not there yet; still savoring the lower levels. A buy for me as the DD.

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Jun 10, 10 3:05 AM
I would have to agree with some of the reviews above, I thought this game was relaxing in the beginning and did infact get challenging. I noticed there were two modes, relax mode and journey mode, I believe I read 380 levels, not too sure though. I was very pleased with this game and there was modes 2, Relax mode and Journey mode. I liked the music and I thought it was unique, for this game to be the DD, I say great price. Once again....Big Fish, Thank you. Happy Gaming !!!

[Post New]by makivi on Jun 11, 10 5:15 AM
I'm really enjoying this game. I'm playing the journey mode. At about level 40 it gets challenging and at level 99 very challenging.

The good news is that level 99 is not the end. I just got past it after nearly 5 hours of failed attemps.

My advice to you is keep on trying. If you become as addicted to this game as I am, you can overcome the frustration of repeated failures, learn from them and develop your strategy on how to defeat this level.

Spoiler alert.

Following are my pointers for level 99:

I used all kinds of combinations (shape, color and number of items) horizontally, vertically and diagonally.

At the four edges there are blocked squares. The top two are cleared when matched a couple of times, but the bottom ones are locked.
I concentrated on clearing the top two edge squares. I used the broom on them to clear them quickly.

After that it is really a race against time because the squares you match keep on becoming "unmatched" and you must match them again.
That's why the use of the broom becomes essential.There are three kinds of broom at that level. For a single square, for the whole row and for the whole column.
If you need to use it, it's a valuable tool to clear misplaced items. But, if you keep on clearing rightly placed items then you can't keep up.
So use the single square broom on an empty square, the column broom on the column with the least placed items and the row broom on the last row.

I'm wishing you the best of luck, cause I think you need a bit of that too.

I can't wait to see what follows level 99.

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Jun 16, 10 1:49 AM
makivi wrote:I'm really enjoying this game. I'm playing the journey mode. At about level 40 it gets challenging and at level 99 very challenging.

The good news is that level 99 is not the end. I just got past it after nearly 5 hours of failed attemps.

My advice to you is keep on trying. If you become as addicted to this game as I am, you can overcome the frustration of repeated failures, learn from them and develop your strategy on how to defeat this level.

{Snipped out spoiler}

I can't wait to see what follows level 99.

Woohoo makivi!

There we go folks!

Now we know!

It CAN be done!

steve_t
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by steve_t on Jun 16, 10 8:30 PM
I don't think I'll be around long enough to try level 99.
I can't get past level 36!! (a single row of tiles around a blank square in the middle.)
The choices offered are never the right ones to fill a row or column before you run out of space.
Is there a secret to this - or do just have to keep playing ad nauseam until the game condescends to offer you a winning combination??

Go to: