bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Boulder Dash®: Pirate's Quest™

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 10, 10 1:25 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Boulder Dash®: Pirate's Quest™? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Boulder Dash®: Pirate's Quest™

[Post New]by TerryMann on Jun 10, 10 4:17 AM
I thought Boulder Dash was very similar to Crystal Cave: Lost Treasures, I played this game a while back on a different site. I went ahead and re-downloaded this game and played for about 40 minutes. I noticed there were three modes Normal, Expert and Zen, this game is problem solving and got me a little aggrevated, though, I know a couple of fishies that just may like this one, . You are basically clearing a path to reach the exit, by collecting diamonds and power-ups that are very useful. It's not as easy as it sounds, along your journey you will run into cannonballs that can be move if there is nothing blocking them, beware you will need to hurry and move out of the way so you won't be crushed. You start will 5 lives and you can skip levels, however the amount of levels you skip are limited. I will probably purchase this game for a day. For those fishies that enjoy these puzzle games, have an awesome time and Happy Gaming !!!

beckx020
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by beckx020 on Jun 10, 10 7:18 AM
Boulder Dash, at least the original is an old game. But oh how I've wished to have it now. I'm happy BFG has it.

It is a puzzle game and fun and will make you pull your hair out on some levels.

The bad thing is you have limited lives (like in the olden days). If you get stuck, you have to use a life to start the level over.

I am buying it for the fun.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jun 10, 10 11:56 AM
I liked this game. You collect jewels going through a maze and obstacles so use your strategy to work out how to get through with all the jewels and out the exit.
You can use the mouse to move your character which is a plus
Cute game.

Svengoolie
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Svengoolie on Jun 10, 10 1:50 PM
Terrible game.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Jun 10, 10 7:12 PM
You have some choices when you first start off:

First, boy or girl?

Then you have choices for difficulty, and you can choose Normal or Expert. You can also have it untimed by also choosing Zen Mode. I chose Normal, but did not add Zen (you can have both, if you wish).

This is a collect-the-gems, pirate-themed puzzle game, much like Crystal Caves. You can use the arrow keys to navigate, or use the mouse. Using the mouse, if you hold down the left button, you can maneuver around corners without having to click multiple times. Good thing, for sometimes you have to move FAST to avoid falling objects!

I feel that the game developers should have made the gems about half of the size they currently are - making them the same size as the obstacles is a bit distracting, since they're sparkly . Still, I think that people who like puzzle games will enjoy this. It's worth trying

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Jun 11, 10 8:43 AM
Like the old game and premise, it's fun to play. But the developers should've made the reaction time quicker when using the cursor. Even holding it down, most times you just can't move quick enough to get out of the way. There appears to be too much of a lagtime with the mouse movements.

Also, I don't like having only so many lives and then the game ends. I would like to be able to play until beating a level and then move on to the next one. Otherwise, I don't get far and never will.

monkeyface881
Manatee
Manatee
4,138 Posts

[Post New]by monkeyface881 on Jun 11, 10 1:30 PM
Storyline: What storyline?! A cartoon strip comes up at the beginning of the game (and of each chapter) and the speech bubbles with text came up far too slowly. I made the mistake of clicking to speed up the text, but it ended up skipping the cartoon storyline scene! (whoops!)
Gameplay: The style of game is very basic- very reminiscent of the old 'Mario' games in which there is a visible 'block' maze, certain types of blocks fall down when you walk under them and can block your path, and you must collect all the 'coins'. In this game you must collect all the diamonds in each level in order to proceed. There are cannonballs which fall down and block your path when you walk under them (and they can also kill you and make you lose a life and re-start that level). The levels become more and more complex as you progress, there are some bonuses in some levels (such as items that give you a double point score, a boot so you can power kick a cannonball, and extra life bonuses...). I'm not a fan of these types of games- Mario was entertaining enough, but this game lacked the charm that mario has and I found myself getting bored and frustrated very quickly at how difficult the levels got, but at the same time how boring and repetitive the game was.Unfortunately I did not progress past about midway through the 2nd chapter as I kept dying and got fed up of playing.
Movement: Movement was difficult- at first I used the mouse to click each space I wanted to move to, but then the tutorial said to hold down the left click button to move further and faster. It was only in the second level that the tutorial decided to tell me that I could use the 'left', 'right', 'up', 'down' keys on my keyboard! (I finally complete the first level after dying a ton of times and NOW you tell me!)
Graphics: The graphics were bright and clear, although the game itself was not a full screen- there was about an inch of black border around the game screen. My only complaint is on the 2nd chapter, where there is an underwater scene- the canonballs and other 'falling' objects are not very visible and blend into the 'non falling' objects (Again, this resulted in me dying...alot!).
Music: Hmm... pretty bland and repetitive. Suitable for these types of games, but not something you can really listen to. You kind of forget the music is there.
Verdict: Okay to pass the time, but boring, repetitive and difficult. Severely lacking in charm and easily forgettable.

jgehrke
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by jgehrke on Jun 11, 10 4:41 PM
Good game. Boulder Dash has been around for many years and I haven't played it for many years, so I was glad to get the chance to play this modestly updated version. Fun way to pass some time without much effort or frustration. Not quite as 'arcade' as I would prefer, but fun. Much better for me than another HOG or match 3.

manysaying
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by manysaying on Jun 12, 10 9:55 PM
Gee, this game takes me back a few years, and enoyable ones so Its a buy for me. One way to amuse myself without straining eyes on so many HOG's which I love. this is fun. PS could someone explain what LOL means. Thanks and brin on more games.

[Post New]by jademck on Jun 13, 10 5:15 AM
can anyone tell me how you create another gem. thanks

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Jun 14, 10 12:05 PM
This game was okay, but I already own the Professor Fizzwizzle games and that's enough. Although the games have increasing difficulty, it just doesn't hold my interest.

eldaphil
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by eldaphil on Jun 14, 10 10:04 PM
To Jademck? New diamonds are created by dropping a cannonball through a fan iconned block.. The tutorial explains that to you when you reach the first level in which these special blocks appear...

kay_H
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
5 Posts

[Post New]by kay_H on Jun 19, 10 8:14 PM
A little too complicated...not like to old game mindless fun and no need to switch to different modes.

Grannynoo
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by Grannynoo on Jun 21, 10 9:33 AM
I think it's a great game. Very addictive. Made the mistake of letting my hubby play and now can't get him off the computer. LOL

Loved the original. Can't believe it's been 25 yrs.

rainbowtree
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by rainbowtree on Jul 5, 10 9:55 AM
LOVE this game. I hope will get the other games in the Boulder Dash series.

Your Comments and Review for Boulder Dash®: Pirate's Quest™

[Post New]by tuffyisabrat on Nov 9, 10 7:11 AM
love the game but is there a walkthrough for the game? Somebody needs to get one so the ones that are having trouble can get help like dumb ole me. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Edited on 11/09/2010 at 7:13:32 AM PST

Sublu78
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Sublu78 on Sep 11, 14 2:38 AM
Grannynoo wrote: Loved the original. Can't believe it's been 25 yrs.

Has it really been that long? Good Grief! I know I remember it as (I think) a DOS game, but... Good Lord, I feel old now! Lol!

Edited on 09/11/2014 at 2:39:28 AM PST

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Sep 11, 14 11:57 AM
Today's DD:

Well, it's certainly not a HOG or HOPA! I haven't seen anything like this before. I love mazes and these are kinda like mazes. Well, a little bit, at least. I think. Maybe.

Anyway, it looks like fun and it's different and it's cheap so I'm going to purchase this game. I made it through the first few levels with no problems but I'm going to have to learn how to move faster to get away from those boulders coming down on top of me. I do wish there were unlimited lives. That is my main complaint. It's a good thing I bought a gaming computer!

I'm not in love with this game and I don't think I'll be playing it much but sometimes I get SO tired of the same old stuff over and over and over. If I see one more "key stuck in the door oh no what do I do" or "horseshoe" on a list of items to find in a HOS, I'm going to scream. I think I'll be playing a level here and a level there when I have a little time.

I would not pay full price or even half price. But $2.99 sounds about right.

Happy gaming!

Sherry__Rose
Minnow
Minnow
233 Posts

[Post New]by Sherry__Rose on Oct 22, 14 1:40 PM
I'm working on what I believe is the very last level, 9-15. What a fun game! It may look cartoony, but it offers a real mental challenge. I've been obsessed with this game since I first bought it as the DD in September. I will admit I've had to do a little peaking for hints on this forum from time to time. I love games like this where they may be short on bells and whistles but are long on challenge and enjoyment. I'm playing zen, as I wouldn't have a hope of making it through the game if I play timed. This is one of those games you can play for a few minutes, then go back a week later and not have to try to recall the plot etc. I sure wish they would make more of these games -- I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

Go to: