Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Tales: The Time Traveler Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jan 25, 18 12:36 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 01/25/2018 at 9:03:52 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Tales: The Time Traveler Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nanafraser on Jan 25, 18 4:38 AM
Another creepy game! Very short 5 chapters! Counting bonus chapter. I really look forward to Thursdays & Saturdays! Today was a letdown! Oh I'm sure they'll be fishes that'll love it! Go for it! To each his own! But its not mine! Theirs enough crime violence & death in the world, I play to escape that! Only thing positive is its very well made!

Edited on 01/25/2018 at 4:42:02 AM PST

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Tales: The Time Traveler Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Jan 25, 18 8:10 AM
If they had a good sale today, I'd buy it today. I Love this series. The last two, Graywitch and The White Lady are super fun.
When I tried this one today, I thought it was great. They always have great collectibles. Morphs in each scene are a little small. I liked collecting figurines of the family. It has info. I don't think I should have to work to receive my screensaver though. Some people say they don't think anybody uses wallpaper or screensavers. I play with them for a day or two. My lock screen is from Dark Parable: The Snow Queen for the winter. My current screensaver is from The Keeper of Antiques: The Imaginary World. ( It has movement and it's entertaining.) Adults can choose to have fun and be playful. Being a adult I have a choice not to be a stick in the mud.

I don't think any game should line up with reality. It's a game! It's Fantasy! It's fiction. Well, maybe a few. It's not a big deal to me.

Also the last new task in the trial, remained on the screen over Richards face. Hope they fix that.

Edited on 01/29/2018 at 5:01:22 AM PST

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Jan 25, 18 9:03 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Grim Tales: The Time Traveler Collector's Edition here. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread as the moderators will be removing any content that isn’t a review.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Grim Tales: The Time Traveler Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBeruna

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jan 25, 18 9:35 AM
Typical Elephant Game. Nothing new. Apparition jumps in front of car etc. Daddy's skull is found etc. Creepy atmosphere, but not really scary. If you like the series, you'll probably like this game. If you've never played the series, try it, you might like it. It's a wait until the SE comes out for me.

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Jan 25, 18 1:19 PM
Not CE worthy. You have 8 wallpapers...8 concept art....your music, achievements(in the form of clocks (I think 17 and one for finding all of the morphs). Your collectibles are 14 statues, which describe the characters....screensaver parts (26) that make up a puzzle of that screensaver....oohhh. There may be more than one screensaver puzzle because in the extras, "Screensavers" is indicated. I didn't see where you can replay puzzles or hos unless they are included under Archive, which you cannot open until buying, like being able to open up the Bonus game (you have to buy before you try), so I don't know what that Archive is for. Puzzles and HOS should definitely be included in the bonus content. I don't want to be surprised. I want to know before buying what I am getting, don't you? Of course, you have your SG, which I did not even open because the hint is very helpful and does transport (map is very cheap looking, like it was made out of a paper bag).

Demo seemed short with quite a bit of activity and tasks to perform. Graphics were very nice...warm colors. It was smooth going, but there were too many locked doors to open and too many inventory items to find (some of them to boringly combine). You are going back and forth looking for inventory and placing those items...and yes, some of them are ridiculous....have you ever heard of retrieving a key from a boiling pot of water with a golf club? All of this gets monotonous and inhibits the story.

In the demo, I counted 8 puzzles to 5 hos. I skipped most of the puzzles...hate rotating ones that when you move one others do...and ones if you get one part wrong you begin all over...no thanks. Some of the hos were quite dark in color making it difficult to see items...why are they doing this? I remember one hos was a very small box and feel it is a cheat.

Instead of the hint being in the lower right corner, it is in the left....took me a bit to get used to that. There is Richard's skull in the lower left corner that glows when he wants to talk to you...wonderful. When you obtain a collectible or morph, it will be indicated on the left side, but there is no indication as to how many there are. I mute sounds...always play on custom...and won't go into the story, except to mention that I do not think it is a poor or scary story whatsoever. I have five of the others...will wait until this is released as a SE, to be able to look at a walkthrough.

Edited on 01/25/2018 at 1:32:10 PM PST

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Jan 25, 18 1:37 PM

Move over Anna, there's a new Time Traveler in Town, and he's seeking revenge on everyone, well at least the Gray and McGray family members. Anna Gray and her dear ole dad, Richard, were heading to the new McGray mansion, for a family barbecue with James and Elizabeth, when Anna is forced to swerve off the road to avoid hitting a stranger. (I wonder if Anna straps the seat belt over Richard's skull?) After hoofing it to the mansion, Anna discovers a horrifying, grizzly sight, so once again, Anna must perform the sacred family ritual, that allows her to travel back in time, where hopefully, she'll be able to stop a mysterious Time Traveler from destroying her entire family!

I've always been a fan of the Grim Tales series, and I've always loved the realistic graphics that Elephant Games brings to the table. Lately, the Collector's Edition goodies have been diminishing little by little, from some of the devs, but not from this pachyderm proboscidea! Each scene has a Morphing Object (yea! my favorite CE feature) and some of the scenes have collectible Puzzle Pieces to assemble a Screensaver, as well as, collectible Gray & McGray family Statues, that give brief descriptions of who's who to whom.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 25, 18 7:56 PM
Hello friends! As always, I review on the game play and not the story line, as others do a much better job than I can. Wow, is this really #14 in this series? The graphics in this addition are very well done, very clear, with nice colors, even though sometimes a bit faded. Now and then, you would see a tiny blur, but not enough to be annoying. Game play was excellent, with no problems during the demo and it fit my large screen quite nicely. Animation was very well done, very smooth and realistic. Voice overs were well done, when we had them, which was not often. This game had very little character interaction during the demo, so hopefully it picks up as the game progresses. You can click through the dialog if you read read faster than they speak, without missing any hints or needed information to continue through the game. There wasn't much music either, sort of came in and out. Of course, Dad is back to help you out, but he is not a nuisance and only shows up when really needed. We do travel back a bit into the past, to find out what is happening and why, but I didn't notice any bright blinding lights. The only things that I have to laugh at in this series, is watching the characters constantly breathe while talking...not easy to do.

HOPs are varied and done well. You have matching pairs, interactive lists, and silhouettes. The scenes are very clean and clear and items are not difficult to find. I did not see that you could switch to a different game. Some of the puzzles had some challenge, but mostly in the time it took to complete them. Well done. The SG is the standard, and something I use in case I can't find a collectible. Hint system is very helpful and it does transport you to longer locations. This is very helpful, as you do a lot of jumping from scene to scene in this one for one or two items, and not just backtracking a few steps. The jump map can be used, but is very bland. Transport feature is much faster.

I really like the variation of collectibles. You have morphing objects, that sometime morph quickly and other times are slow, so they are not as easy to catch. We also have 14 character statues that are fairly large and 26 puzzle pieces, which they call "screensaver collection." These are not your standard jigsaw shapes either. Of course, we use these to put together a puzzle, not sure why yet. Guess I have to finish the game to see what happens when I collect them all. The collectibles are not difficult to see, but you do have to remember watch for them.

I really like how this series picks up where the last left off and is continuing through the Gray generations. The story flowed quite well and we had a lot of things to do and look for, so you are constantly on the move. This addition has enough challenge for any level of player and kept me interested and moving from the very beginning. Yes, I am adding this one to my collection of CE games.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by creekhouse on Jan 25, 18 9:26 PM
I tried it, I didn't like it. Very poorly put together. The first off-put was the crash. BOOM I crash and next thing I know I'm standing out side the car, which is upside down so it's a pretty major crash, but I'm like "ooh, I crashed, guess I'll go see my relatives to get help", I'm not coming to or distressed or anything. Then I'm suddenly confronted by this what? ghost?, I don't know but I'm not concerned or even curious I just take things from him. I love to move around in the scenes a bit so I at least feel like I'm part of the story. Too many HO's in each scene. I stand back (from game perspective) and access all the HO's. I do not move over to the gate, I work on the gate from across the yard...what???! When I go through the gate I access the HO's from the gate.....CLEAR ACROSS THE ENTIRE BACK YARD! without moving an inch. ugh. The objects found in the HO's are ridiculous. Who buries the key to the library in the back garden??!! Who would hide the paw key in a place where you can only access the key to that place with a key that is buried in the back garden. OK, I'm done. I couldn't even finish the demo it was so bad. Sorry but even with the promise of half off games it's too expensive to throw good money after.

[Post New]by MaryCricket on Jan 26, 18 3:03 PM

I LOVED this game, why because it tells you in a way about the Gray and the McGray Family, before playing this game, I could not figure how or who was the McGray and Gray and how they were related to one another, after playing this game, I feel I know all about the Gray Family Tree and how they fit in the tree

This game is more about saving the Family tree,

I play for the story and the reason why there is revenge,
This game did not disappoint

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Jan 27, 18 12:27 AM
The game took me off guard, as we have new voices for old characters that we've known for so long. The plus side of that is Richard isn't as annoying as he used to be. The old voice for him spoke so slowly, and his dialogue was very self centered. At least he learned not to be as arrogant. So we crash the car and are suddenly out of the car. I have to get my purse and car keys from my father's ghost? Okay. Then to the McGrays where Anna says her "nephews were murdered". Seemed to me that it was a man and woman who were dictated as cousins in the intro, unless Elizabeth is considered a nephew? Hmm. I like that the morphs were hard to find, sometimes maybe a little too hard, but I'd rather have difficult collectibles than ones that are too easy. The one thing that really bugged me is that when you need to work on a plus item in your inventory, you can't just click outside or below the image to close it, you have to click on the X in the upper right corner. That sort of little thing annoys me. I haven't decided yet whether or not to buy the game. I think I will ponder on that over the weekend after I have read more reviews.

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Jan 27, 18 4:24 PM
Grim Tales is beginning to border on boring with a touch of silly. This series was one I used to enjoy. I liked the interaction between Anna and her father Richard and the way their relationship, even after he died was slowly moving in a more positive direction. But he still had his former sarcasm and you couldn't quite be sure if you trusted him! Much better storylines..in the beginning..

The Grim Tales Series has been running out of story line, and becoming more and more repetitive these last couple of games. Now we have a new voice that is nothing like the former evil old ghost. When you pick up the skull the message says "This is your Father Richard's skull. He is a friendly spirit who has helped you on several adventures." Whaaaat? He wasn't Casper the Ghost! And the new voice is for Richard is terrible. It's not even close, too high and too nice.

There are other things that bother me, but I won't go into those now. I gave in and bought it, only because it was on sale and I have nothing to play right now. And because it seems playable, albeit NOT in any way an exercise for the little grey cells.

I will give this game three

Abs out!

lamp_post
Guppy
Guppy
150 Posts

[Post New]by lamp_post on Jan 30, 18 9:55 AM
Disappointing Game.....all the way around. I will not go into details as others have already done that and they are on the mark. I know Elephant Games can do much better than this endeavor..Please try before you buy. This is NOT CE worthy.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Feb 10, 18 11:24 PM
I wasn't sure about this game at first and almost stopped playing after 5 mins, but the more I played the more hooked I became. There were a lot of things to do, more find things, replace things, do puzzles than HOP scenes which is my type of game.

I liked the ghost Dad popping up and now in the game and the collectables of morphing objects, figures and screensaver pieces to keep you looking for things to find.

The one thing that annoyed me in the beginning which made me almost stop was the reference of a man and a woman as nephews.

So far, the demo has me hooked, but it will be on the buy list when there is a big sale on as there are other games so far that make me want to buy now!

This one was not one of them.

Edited on 02/10/2018 at 11:28:54 PM PST

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Feb 23, 18 7:52 PM
I noticed that someone has mentioned in the main page star reviews that in the Archives, located in the Extras you can in fact replay hos and mini games. Interesting that no one else has mentioned this in their lengthy reviews. I think it is important to know for those who are interested in buying the game. In the demo you are not allowed that information as that area is closed to you until you buy which I do no think is right. I don't know for sure if this info is accurate or not as I have not bought the game because of the overwhelming amount of puzzles, but thought that some might like to know, anyhow.

Edited on 02/23/2018 at 7:55:17 PM PST

Go to: