General tips thread

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,719 Posts

General tips thread

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 25, 18 8:40 AM
Stuff that's not in the strategy guide, or maybe I missed it LOL! A detailed strategy guide can be found under the collector's edition extras button, and there's more help under the game options menu. But here are a few extra secrets I've uncovered.

Extra ways to break amber and chains:

-If you make a chroma piece (wild jewel) with a M4 and get it next to an amber piece first, hitting the chroma piece with the small hammer causes the chroma piece to work like a bomb, clearing out a 9 space area. This breaks any amber pieces and chains within explosion range. Works in all other JM M3s too!

-If you happen to be awarded a random atomic piece (the ones with sparkles going around them), atomic pieces are small bombs that clear out a 9 space area when you match the atomic piece. So matching an atomic piece within explosion range of amber or chains will also break those items.

-The strategy guide lists the other ways to break amber/chains: bomb spell, fireball spell, medium or large hammers, royal arrows. I'm pretty sure the small hammer will break chains, but not amber.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,719 Posts

Re:General tips thread

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 25, 18 8:43 AM
"Missing a key":

-Most of the cases I've seen with this is because the key is buried in amber somewhere, so look for amber pieces in the rooms. If you don't see any amber pieces the key is hiding underneath a wood box or safe tile (the ones with numbers that go down when you match next to them) somewhere. You have to find all the keys before you can finish a level.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,719 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 25, 18 8:52 AM
"Continue or Shop button disappeared":

-If the Continue button has vanished after playing for a while, it's because you reached a checkpoint for the next castle scene and you didn't finish building the previous castle. Check the bottom of the screen for available parts that are lighted up which you can buy with your amassed jewels and amulets you got from the M3 boards. I think this issue may have finally been fixed where the game might auto-advance if you're not into the building part of the game, but I've seen this question asked in every JM M3 with a building element...

-If you can't see the Shop button on the side of the M3 boards or it doesn't work, that's probably a screen resolution issue where you need to adjust your resolution for more pixels.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,719 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 25, 18 9:00 AM
The difference between gold coins, jewels, amulets, and emeralds:

-You can collect unlimited amounts of gold coins, which you can get for finishing levels, clicking on spinning coins in the levels, and completing a castle. Gold coins are used for buying items in the shop (hammers, powerup spells, bigger jewel chests).

-Jewels are the pieces that go into your jewel box while playing the regular rooms in the M3 boards. You can only have a certain amount of jewels in the jewel box before it gets full and additional jewels are wasted. Amulets are the special round red pieces of which there are usually 1-3 in every level and you're required to find them all. If your tile counter reads zero but the level won't end it's because you need to get at least 1 amulet from somewhere. Jewels and amulets are used to buy castle pieces in between levels to rebuild the castle. If you are playing on any mode OTHER than limited moves, it's likely your jewel box is going to get completely full a LOT. Don't worry about it, as it is the amulets you collect in the levels which are the limiting factor as to when you can buy castle pieces.

-Emeralds are the "crystals" you collect in the bonus crystal room. Even though the crystals are of assorted colors whatever you've matched in the crystal room will convert to emeralds when you finish the level. Emeralds are used to buy (unlock) bonus games in the bonus games menu.

Edited on 01/25/2018 at 9:02:59 AM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,719 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 25, 18 9:06 AM
How to find the crystal room:

-You must first play all the regular rooms in a level, then click yes to go to the bonus garden room. Then collect the butterfly in the garden room by either moving it to a wall of the room or hitting it with royal arrows. This unlocks the bonus crystal room arrow from the garden room.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,719 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 25, 18 9:09 AM
Use the empty spaces!

-This is the first JM which allows you to utilize empty spaces for matches which can be quite nice if you have a chain or some other pesky spot to open up and can move something into the empty space for a match.

LOL I keep having to tell myself however that this isn't Jewel Quest, where you could actually drag jewels around in empty spaces to completely reposition them...one can't have it all, I guess!

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,719 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 25, 18 9:12 AM
Removing the mace:

-The mace piece is both a pain and a pleasure since it gets in your way but also creates chroma pieces underneath of it. I've found hitting a mace with the hammers will remove it and think using either the bomb or fireball might also get rid of it.

[update] Hitting the mace with royal arrows, exploding a ladybug within range or doing the small hammer on a chroma piece within explosion range will also remove the mace.

Edited on 01/31/2018 at 9:34:20 AM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,719 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 25, 18 9:23 AM
"Developer's Challenge":

-According to my contact on the design team, it is supposed to be possible to finish all the levels with no spells and only the medium hammer with all the games they've made. I've been trying this out with previous games in the series for a serious challenge and am working on it with this game. If you want really hard, try to do it with only the small hammer...at least some of the JM games are doable even like this!

[update] I don't think it's possible to do "developer's challenge" in advanced timed after level 20...I finally caved by level 25 and bought 2 spells.

Edited on 02/03/2018 at 12:02:38 PM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,719 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 25, 18 9:36 AM
More custom cursors:

-I'm not a fan of custom cursors, but if you enjoy this feature, there are quite a lot of extra ones in the CE extras area...you do have to dig around in there a bit to find the menu to select one. [update] The custom cursors are under the "Customize" section of the CE extras at the top of the music selection popup. As for the music player, you can click on the assorted tracks to play the tune and if there are some that you don't enjoy, deselect the circle for that track so you don't have to listen to it while playing.

Edited on 02/01/2018 at 6:42:26 AM PST

[Post New]by Marinersfan04 on Jan 26, 18 2:41 PM
Thanks for the Mace tip! I didn't realize there was anything under them, now I will try the tip.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,719 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 27, 18 7:44 AM
No cursor on Win 10 or race mode bonus M3 games barely scroll on Win 10: (courtesy of Ashm00r in another thread, thanks! )

-A friend of mine is on Win 10 and doesn't appear to have these problems...but I've seen them reported elsewhere with either this or earlier games in the JM series. If you have no cursor, you need to adjust your DPI settings:

Ashm00r wrote:Hi guys, if the game is not running properly under win10, it may be due to the new scaling feature Microsoft has implemented. You may right clicking the icon, go to "properties" -> "compatibility" and running the compatibility troubleshooter. If that does not work you may try to manually set the compatibility to windows 8 and then pressing "Change high DPI settings" -> check "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by" and select "Application" from the drop down menu.

-The race mode bonus games should scroll at a good clip if you are making matches quickly around the edges, even with the default autoscroll setting of medium low. If your screen is hardly budging, try setting your compatibility mode to either Win 7 or Win 8 for the game.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,719 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 28, 18 8:31 PM
Alternate way to collect keys and amulets:

-Besides dropping them off the bottom of the room, hitting them with royal arrows works too and is often faster. Upgrading the fireball spell enough to where it has a good reach makes dropping keys and amulets easier.

Chain lightning:

-As in the first JM Royale, I'm pretty sure the large chain lightning spell uses less mana than the medium one does, so you may as well upgrade it fully in order to get more casts along with the additional spaces zapped per cast.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,719 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 31, 18 9:05 AM
Map navigation:

-To replay levels, click on the level circle you want, then click the Play button.

-The bonus M3 games on the map unlock as you reach the score required and are completely optional. You can't play them unless you manually click on that bonus level circle then click Play. Even with game hints turned on, I've found that there are no instructions on how to play the bonus M3 games this time around. So if you haven't played these games before in Twilight or JMR1 and are confused, feel free to post. I'm playing in advanced timed which may have something to do with it, but I'm finding these games are quite hard!

-If you're worried you forgot to buy available castle parts, click the Castle button at the bottom left of the map to get back to the building scene.

skpjazz
Herring
Herring
392 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Jan 31, 18 11:43 AM
"2 in 1" Tip for Using the 3rd Hammer:

Some players may not be aware that the strongest hammer will eliminate all or most of the chosen tile piece. If you hover over the pieces with the hammer, you will see the total number of those pieces on the board. What I like to do is find the piece that has the most on the board, but also see if that piece is beside the amber-enclosed hammer recharge. If you strike the piece next to the amber, it will not only remove all the pieces, but at the same time will break the amber, so that you can fully charge your hammer again, when you choose to collect it.

Obviously, this works for anything enclosed in amber.

If I have the fully charged hammer in the crystal room, I will use it on the largest number of jewels. But, I have noticed that there is one jewel that for some reason will only show "1" when you hover over it LOL. Not a big deal, since I think you can "eyeball it".

Edited on 01/31/2018 at 11:13:57 PM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,719 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 1, 18 6:45 AM
I'm starting to like the crystals in the crystal room more and more - nice throwback to JM4 with prettier gems than that game had IMO. Good tip on using the third hammer in the crystal room to get a few more crystals! LOL one of the colors must have a slight bug in it for the third hammer to not count them correctly.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,719 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 1, 18 7:18 AM
Bonus game 13 (race mode):

-Whatever you do, don't set off all the royal arrows in it! This causes the screen to essentially get stuck because of all the arrows shooting off in all directions and makes the level extremely difficult. I reported this during beta testing but the level was left as is, so I'm guessing this is sort of an anti-powerup level for the pros to figure out...it's doable...just barely!

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,719 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 1, 18 7:36 AM
"Missing the Perfect achievement":

-Some of the crystal rooms have coin bags in them which you need to get in order to get the perfect for that level. I also had it happen once where I didn't wait for all the stars to pop into the finished level dialog and then it deleted 2 stars on me. Replaying the level and waiting for all the stars to appear at the end did fix it.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,719 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 1, 18 8:27 AM
Bonus game 17 (race mode):

-If you can get the Perfect on this one...you're better than I am! Seriously, I really, really tried!!! BTW - the bonus games are a little messed up where it will say you got the perfect even when you haven't collected all the coin bags and it's not until you get back to the map screen and notice your level button isn't gold. The closest I came was getting the last coin bag out of the middle section of this level when the timer ran out and I was not credited for it! I can't remember if I played this level during beta testing but it doesn't appear possible to do everything in it at least in advanced timed. Rather sad as it's the only trophy I'm missing on my map...

[update] Upon installing the latest version of the game the timer in advanced timed for this level is now 30 seconds longer which does make getting perfect on this level doable if you're really fast. It's still not a piece of cake, but things aren't supposed to be easy when you're playing on maxed out difficulty LOL. Thanks Suricate!

Edited on 02/02/2018 at 9:05:49 AM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,719 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 3, 18 11:01 AM
Customizable difficulty all the time:

-You can change the game difficulty at any time without having to start over as a new player, which is great if a level is driving you nuts or you're getting bored. (I haven't had to resort to this yet, but to me it seems the final release is harder than the beta version).

Edited on 02/03/2018 at 11:02:07 AM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,719 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Feb 3, 18 11:46 AM
Repositioning the map:

-In the regular levels and moves mode bonus M3 levels opening the map doesn't typically get in the way. In race mode bonus M3 games though, you really need the map to tell you where the spaces left to do are and the map often does get in the way. The nice thing is you can drag on the map inset and put it anywhere you'd like, so if you can't see where you're going while scrolling a race mode game, drag the map out of the way.

[update] I don't know if this is just me, but it seems that repositioning the map in race mode games may cause the screen to want to get stuck in place, especially when there are also mace pieces on screen. If you are having difficulty getting the screen to scroll and it's not a Win 10 incompatibility issue, try closing the map to see if that makes things move a bit more. The maces still seem to want to hang up the screen where the game wants to put the maces in the middle of the screen all the time (and prevent scrolling), so you have to luck it out on some of the race levels by having the royal arrows clear enough of the maces in time for you to keep the board moving.

Edited on 02/06/2018 at 10:56:14 PM PST

Go to: