sokjeff
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Midnight Mysteries 2 - Salem Witch Trials

[Post New]by sokjeff on Jun 12, 10 5:08 AM
I am very excited this is out. This was an immediate buy for me based on how much i enjoyed the first one. So far the graphics are fantastic. I like the production values and details. I am hoping there are some good puzzles and that it is not too easy. So far so good.....more to come!

Edited on 06/12/2010 at 8:48:51 AM PST

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Midnight Mysteries 2 - Salem Witch Trials

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jun 12, 10 5:10 AM
This is a very enjoyable game that is well worth the money. I like the balance of the hidden object scenes with the adventure game play. The artwork and overall look of the scenes is excellent. However the game is meant to be spooky and hence the scenes are on the dark side. That is great for atmosphere but sometimes hard on the eyes.

The music is eerie and the sound effects are good and not too obtrusive or irritating. It would have been nice to have voice acting as well as the dialogue boxes. The story is interesting so far and is a nice compliment to the game play.

The adventure part of game moves along with the aid of the changing cursor which beckons you to investigate new areas. Your interactions and conversations with the various ghosts also will open new areas to explore. There is a map section to the journal. Does that mean we might get lost? The journal has important information and clues to moving along in the game, so reading it will be helpful.

There are usually some of the items on the hidden object list that are inside or under other items in the scene. Unfortunately those items are not indicated as being doubly hidden in the list. So you may spend a lot of time looking for an item that is not visible until you happen to run your cursor over its hiding spot.

I like the hunt for the clovers in each scene. I have found 13 so far and it is early in the game. When you find 50 of the clovers you will unlock an unlimited hidden object play mode.

You get your hints by finding the ravens in each scene so it appears that the hints in this game will be limited. This is a scary prospect since you never know what difficulties lay farther into the adventure. I will be careful about using the hints and hope I will be able to always keep some in reserve. You can click on an item in the list and then click on the hint lantern to see a silhouette of the item without using a hint. This is helpful and perhaps will make up for the limited hints. The hint lantern turns into a Skip button when you have to solve any puzzles.

Continued ....

Edited on 06/12/2010 at 6:29:40 PM PST

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jun 12, 10 6:00 AM
You might want to check out the Achievements on the main menu. When you go into this page you can scroll over each of the 12 achievements to see what you have to do to earn them. It looks like this feature will be good for challenging yourself on subsequent plays through the game. Some of the hidden objects do change in the scenes on subsequent play or if you play as another player, which is another plus if you play the game again.

This game seems to be a very good value for the price especially if you try to earn all the 12 achievements. It will be interesting to see how many clovers there are in the game. It takes 50 to unlock the unlimited HOG mode, which is one achievement, but there is also another achievement for finding “all” the clovers in the game.

Edited on 06/12/2010 at 9:43:53 AM PST

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Jun 12, 10 6:24 AM
Thank you, sokjeff and LizzieK, this game is a buy for me! I love eerie and spooky games, and this seems a perfect example.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jun 12, 10 6:39 AM
What a great game. Quite a few "jump" moments in this one.
The story and atomosphere is eerie and enthralling from beginning to end.

Great graphics, good hint system but no hand holding. Puzzles easy to medium difficulty.

I also think it was a good mix of hidden object search and adventure element.

The game took me about 4 hours at a leisurely pace, faster players could probably play in 3 hours.

I was so caught up in the game toward the end forgot to look for my clovers.

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Jun 12, 10 6:45 AM
Thanks for your detailed reviews (above) !

Absolutely love the game... gorgeous, challenging, creepy, well-crafted storyline, & many extras such as the achievements & clover hunts...
a steal at $6.99 !

A1psyko
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by A1psyko on Jun 12, 10 6:49 AM
I thought it was a bit slow. I like this type of game but each time I found an inventory item, instead of going to the list immediately you have to double click it. Slowed the game down quite a bit. Also, when I played the trial and still had 19 minutes left on the timer and the game shut down and told me that I needed to purchase to play the rest of the game. What happened to the 60 minutes? Not sure about this game. Will watch comments and see what others think before spending any money on it.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jun 12, 10 6:58 AM
This is one of those games where BF will only give you a certain portion of the game in the demo, because the whole game file is large. They approximate that it will last about an hour but if you are a fast player you may finish in less than hour.

Edited on 06/12/2010 at 9:44:17 AM PST

[Post New]by melly_melons on Jun 12, 10 7:04 AM
What a swizz! 25 minutes of a demo, it was over before I even got into it!!

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jun 12, 10 7:22 AM
Fabulous game. Terrific graphics, great storyline and certainly got the grey matter working. Even preferred it to Flux Family CE!
Managed to finish it without a walkthrough. Hint system clever too.
My only regret is that the game is over......although took 6 + hours to get to the end.
I had to change my screen resolution as in HD frame too small, but that was no big deal.
Thanks BFGs; many more like this one please :-)

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Jun 12, 10 7:26 AM
Janie42 wrote: Thanks for your detailed reviews (above) !

Absolutely love the game... gorgeous, challenging, creepy, well-crafted storyline, & many extras such as the achievements & clover hunts...
a steal at $6.99 !

Janie I couldn't have said it better myself! Knew within 5 minutes that this would be a buy for me. I love games that have things like "find the clovers". The Mystery PI series does this, unfortunately there isn't much else to recommend them for people who like the interactive aspect in their games. This has both and it isn't even a CE! YAY!!!

[Post New]by trishinomaha1 on Jun 12, 10 7:37 AM
I agree with the others - great graphics, good story line so far and challenging but not too challenging - I bought after 15 minutes of the trial. As someone else mentioned this is a steal at $6.99. I will be watching for the walkthrough but have managed to bungle through myself so far. Looks like my Saturday chores may be put off for awhile for this one. More, more, more like this one Big Fish - thanks!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jun 12, 10 8:18 AM
Graphics are amazing, but I'm still on the fence with this one. Wonder about the replay value. And I'm all for the soppy games - and this ain't one of them!

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Jun 12, 10 8:29 AM
Thrilling and chilling !! Goosebumples and the pitter-patter of creepy little toesies scampering up my spine. LOL.
Can you tell that this game hooked me? I finished the demo with 1 minute to spare AND with an anguished "awwww...."
The scenes were eerie and profoundly foreboding.
The target objects cunningly blended within a genial sprawl of period pieces.
The puzzles were thought provoking but still easy enough not to cause temper tantrums.....so far.
Voice actors would have been a nice touch but I am a fast reader so I'm glad i didn't have to skip ahead.
With an anticipated bonus board by finding all the clovers, I feel reassured of many future replays as I can't say how many I forgot to look for whilst studying directions and conversing with all the lost souls.
Well done, thank you, it's in the bag, bye-bye credit.

bfgTigris
Salmon
Salmon
2,693 Posts

[Post New]by bfgTigris on Jun 12, 10 8:48 AM
Hi fishies!

I'm going to go ahead and sticky this to the top for Comments and Reviews. Thanks for getting it started!

bfgTigris

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

Re:Re:Your Comments and Review for Midnight Mysteries 2 - Salem Witch Trials

[Post New]by abarrett on Jun 12, 10 9:01 AM
I beta tested this game a couple of weeks ago, and I was sure at that time that it would end up as a CE. Glad to see that it isn't. I am not too thrilled with the limited hints, as I prefer unlimited hints, but I will get over it. Most likely a buy with my monthly game credit.

[Post New]by slauman_2000 on Jun 12, 10 9:43 AM
FINALLY.....a good game....have been so diapointed in the new ones lately.....give us more like this one PLEASE

sandie3796
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by sandie3796 on Jun 12, 10 9:50 AM
HELP HELP I unlocked the cell door and went the secret passage way to go upstairs to the seven gables house and it says to go to the well and when I click on the eye it just says about agricultural and rivers it wont let me do the well puzzle what am I not doing? I have been to every house and path 2 or 3 times and can not find anything else to do,rrrrrgggggg!

Edited on 06/12/2010 at 9:51:06 AM PST

cagamenut
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by cagamenut on Jun 12, 10 10:28 AM
I did a Beta test on this and am so excited to see it offered. A buy for me!

catkim
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by catkim on Jun 12, 10 10:29 AM
I played the demo for about 10 minutes and bought it. I love the first Midnight Mysteries and the second one is much better. I finished the game few minutes ago without any problems. The story is great, I love the graphics and I am going back to play it a second time now ;-))
Have a nice saturday.
Greetings
catkim

Go to: