Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Shadowplay: The Forsaken Island Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 1, 18 12:38 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 02/01/2018 at 8:33:24 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Shadowplay: The Forsaken Island Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nanafraser on Feb 1, 18 4:22 AM
Naw not for me! Whereas I love Mad Head Devs! But I cant support the creep factor! Everything about the game is great except the dead ghosts killing people! Sorry not for me! I'm sure ones who this doesn't bother will enjoy it! But it bothers me!

Edited on 02/01/2018 at 4:26:53 AM PST

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Shadowplay: The Forsaken Island Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Feb 1, 18 4:43 AM
Mad Head Games is back! Darkness Incarnate was one of my favorite games by this dev, and The Forsaken Island is very similar. The creep factor is fantastic, I even jumped from something I wasn't expecting, so kudos, because this has never happened to me before! I also have to give kudos to MH for one of the best cliffhanger surprise demo endings!

Thanks Mad Head, and Welcome back

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Feb 1, 18 8:33 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread for Shadowplay: The Forsaken Island Collector's Edition! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on this game here. There are just a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Shadowplay: The Forsaken Island Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. Also, remember that moderators will remove any content that isn’t a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators. We'll be happy to assist in any way we can.

bfgArinelle

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Feb 1, 18 10:51 AM
I was intrigued by this game until I got to the puzzle where you get the working wires for the cart. There are no clear cut instructions in the SE and there is no skip on a multilevel puzzle. For this impasse the game will very likely be deleted and never finished. I have placed the temperature levels precisely in every way imaginable and it just isn't working for me so I think I'm through, life is too short.

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Feb 1, 18 12:59 PM
I have the first two in this series. I've only played the first game and it was a blast. The trial for this game was exciting. I didn't jump but it was fun. It bothers me that someone thinks there are ghosts. Ghosts in Sci-fy, no way. Or I don't think so.

I liked the hops and the puzzles. I'm going to buy it when it goes on sale.

Yes, there is music and it sounds just like this maker.

I wanted to keep going. That's the thing about buying before a trial, there's no stopping. I did it for years because of limited data. It's like buy 4 games a month or just try games, not both. I'm glad I've got more data but still not enough. Games seem better when you play start to finish. It worked out for me mostly. I don't recommend buying before trying for any one else. I just saying there some thing nice about not stopping.

Edited on 02/01/2018 at 1:33:18 PM PST

moondances
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by moondances on Feb 1, 18 1:53 PM
Wow!!! It has been a long time since a game has grabbed me and not only held my interest, but made me want more now-I just finished the demo and will def be buying-I'm not good at reviews, but will try-I found the mini-games novel & fun & not too easy/too many-They made me think but not to the point of frustration-The story flowed along in an order that made sense, rather like reading an engrossing novel- And, a biggie for me, the objects that I 'found' were not the same-o same-o (no missing zipper pull so far) and were used rather quickly and sensibly-There is a bit of unexpected humor upon finding the money clip, but it doesn't dispell the ominous story mood-I hope you enjoy as much as I have
Big shout out to Mad Head for a fab new adventure!!!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 1, 18 3:24 PM
Hello friends! As usual, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story to those who can do a much better job than I. Looks like we have #3 in this series. This addition has excellent graphics, right down to the wrinkles on fingers, and I didn't notice any blur when going in and out of scenes. Animation is very smooth and realistic, with no glitches or stiff body movements. Voices are very well done, age and character appropriate and actually show some emotion, e.g. urgency, fear, excitement, etc. Colors in this one have been cleaned up a lot, no blues or oranges floating around, very clear and true. I always turn the music down about half way, to just a bit of background noise, but I rarely heard any during the play. However, when we needed sound FX, they were there and extremely well done.

HOPs were mostly the same as other games, but still quite well done. We have the usual highlighted words, silhouettes, interactive lists and occasionally had a HOP within a HOP. Scenes are clear and items are not difficult to find. Be aware that there are morphing items in the HOPs. These morph fast enough to easily miss. Puzzles were interesting, but not difficult. I usually don't like the "add up the numbers" game, but this one was fairly simple..it just took me a few minutes to do it. The hint system is very helpful when needed, but it does not transport, at least not during the demo. The map does have the jump feature, but the way it is set up, you have to hover over each location to actually see what it is. Just put it all out there to see and leave the boring maps at home.

Collectibles are extremely disappointing. Again, we have the same old same old symbol to find. It is quite large and very easy to see. Definitely could have used more, even if all they did was add more morphing items, or character statuettes. Downgraded for this.

Yes, we have our heroine saving her brother, again, but with a bit of a twist. Are these guys alien ghosts or what! What I liked the most was that we have a lot of character interaction for a change. I found myself drawn into this one from the very beginning. There is enough action to keep me interested and wanting more. I believe all levels of players will find this one fun. I don't give 5 stars easily, a game has to be exceptional throughout for that. This one fell off in the collectible department, so it only gets a 4.75. Still, I have the need to play this out and see where it goes. Yes, I am adding this one to be collection of CE games.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the review.

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Feb 1, 18 7:35 PM
The rave reviews for this is beyond me. This is one of the worst. Graphics are like that of a grammar school book. We're finding rust remover...then having to clean with a cloth...using a fork to remove nails...finding batteries, light bulbs, wrenches, tools....AND instead of having to find one pass card, we have to find 3 pieces of it, and then have to glue it together....and this nonsense goes on and on and on...holding you hostage to scenes instead of, "Why can't we just move along?"

I couldn't even finish this demo. Best thing I can say is that it is saving me money...and my favorite part of this experience is going to be deleting it.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Feb 2, 18 5:15 PM
I really enjoyed the first 2 games in this series. I have to say, this one was short. For a CE it really was lackluster. A bunch of mh symbols to collect and a morph in HOS. The game play easy super easy. The puzzles were easy and I am NOT a big puzzle person. After I played this I was looking at the top PC games of all time under PC games and realize they put games in there based on consumer ratings. In previous reviews Id always give the benefit of the doubt to the developer as far as story, game play, etc. No more. I'd like to look at a list and see games listed that are WORTH the top ratings. This is certainly not one. I gave this 3 stars on my review but really could go as low as 2.

tuatua
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by tuatua on Feb 2, 18 6:44 PM
I really enjoyed this game. The graphics are clear and the music not intrusive. The symbols to find in each scene are way too easy to find. I enjoy morphing objects to find in scenes also, not just in HOs. They were also enjoyable in that they had variety not just a lot of random objects. outlines are sometimes a challenge but these were clear. I also like that you are not required to go back too often and the map gives the option of jumping to scenes where actions are available.
I am pleased to have a game which is not set in some dark abandoned building but in colourful surroundings.
As a senior I like playing for short periods rather than sit for hours in front of a computer so this game is nicely paced for me.
Certainly kept my attention and did make me jump a couple of times.
I look forward to adding this one to my collection when it becomes available.
Well done developers.

charlene_lane
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by charlene_lane on Feb 3, 18 8:35 AM
Its a two for the price of one day today, so I'm buying this game and the new 'The Myth Seekers: The Legacy of Vulcan' game as well. Can't wait to play them both.

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Feb 7, 18 10:19 PM
I haven't purchased many games in the last year. I am seriously disappointed with the caliber of them today. So, I read the reviews and decided to go ahead and buy this one, since I had 4 credits (meaning 4 months without buying a game) Well...., disappointed again. I haven't had a challenge in a long time. I wonder what the developers of Madame Fate and Return to Ravenhurst are doing these days. I would like to know if anyone out there is producing a truly challenging game. 'Cause this one is not it.

I realize BF is pandering to the the new players now, and especially its "free to play" games, and I know they want to be the next [Removed by Moderator] , but dang it, they have even watered down the MCF games and those were sacrosanct. I probably will be leaving BF soon. I can't see any reason to stay, if even MCF is just a ghost of its former self. (pun intended) I hope to find a new platform to support my game play. If not, I'll just go rogue, like most everyone else.

Edited on 02/08/2018 at 12:26:59 PM PST

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Feb 8, 18 1:11 PM
Hi Everyone,

Swimming by with a couple of quick reminders about the Review Guidelines for this thread and about one of the Forum Rules our players should keep in mind when posting on the forums. In specific, the following rules and guidelines are important for this situation:

Do not discuss other game sites or game companies, positively or negatively, by name or by nickname.

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Shadowplay: The Forsaken Island Collector's Edition.

We understand wanting to elaborate on the reasons behind opinions on a game, but please keep the Forum Rules in mind when doing so. This helps keep the forum organized and focuses review content on the game being discussed. Such focus increases readability and makes it easier for players to evaluate the game discussed in the thread.

Thanks for your time, everyone. Have a wonderful day!

bfgArinelle

Edited on 02/08/2018 at 1:11:23 PM PST

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Feb 9, 18 7:31 PM
This looks like a good game going by the demo. I always find that this developer has a pretty common but reliable game play.

I do wish they would change it up a bit and not always have the same collectable and morphing object in the HOS.

Regardless of this, I will add this to the list of games to buy.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Feb 23, 18 12:44 PM
finished the first part. I have to admit towards the end finding that prism in the drawer when that snake jumped out it scared me.

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Feb 23, 18 1:53 PM
I bought and finished the game with bonus chapter and bonus content.
The fun wore off quickly for me after the trial when I bought it. I think the best part was the trial. It was just ok. Disappointed.

Edited on 02/24/2018 at 4:41:52 AM PST

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Feb 23, 18 5:04 PM
Finished both parts. Not the best game I've every played, but not the worst either.

[Post New]by EmeraldRobertson on Feb 25, 18 5:52 PM
Apparently there are some pretty undiscerning gamers out there. The graphics are okay....just okay. The gameplay is poor and the hint and Guide are NOT helpful in a few areas. I bought this game, unfortunately, and had to stop playing once4 already due to a bug and wait for a patch. Got that finally and now am stuck in the bonus game on getting the door code out of the drawer. VERY POOR guide and no ability to skip when a problem is insurmountable due to a bug is NOT a good selling point. I have never written a review before but have never been so disgusted with a game either. When is a new Ravenhurst of Madame Fate coming out. Quality is what I prefer for my money and it is a shame that nothing new os coming from those directions. I would like to know why there is no one else posting on the drawer problem in the bonus game, in fact, I couldn't find much at all on the game which tells me a lot. Don't waste your money unless you like boring mini games and frustration.

[Post New]by EmeraldRobertson on Feb 25, 18 5:52 PM
Apparently there are some pretty undiscerning gamers out there. The graphics are okay....just okay. The gameplay is poor and the hint and Guide are NOT helpful in a few areas. I bought this game, unfortunately, and had to stop playing once4 already due to a bug and wait for a patch. Got that finally and now am stuck in the bonus game on getting the door code out of the drawer. VERY POOR guide and no ability to skip when a problem is insurmountable due to a bug is NOT a good selling point. I have never written a review before but have never been so disgusted with a game either. When is a new Ravenhurst of Madame Fate coming out. Quality is what I prefer for my money and it is a shame that nothing new os coming from those directions. I would like to know why there is no one else posting on the drawer problem in the bonus game, in fact, I couldn't find much at all on the game which tells me a lot. Don't waste your money unless you like boring mini games and frustration.

Go to: