bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for King's Legacy

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 14, 10 1:20 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of King's Legacy? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for King's Legacy

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jun 14, 10 3:14 AM
WARNING ... for those that do not like games where you can look round 360 degrees to see all around you this will probably make you dizzy ...

ETA if this is a problem for you choose Free Camera in the Settings to change the view so that you are looking down on it and then you can just use the arrow keys to move a bit to the left etc.

Personally I like being able to see all around me but what I did not like was the way you moved the Prince around a few inches at a time. It just felt really awkward because I couldn't accurately get him where I wanted him to go when I was trying to find certain buildings in a hurry.

Once you are out of sight of the buildings you have no idea where you are and I got lost and couldn't find my way back for a while. Now if the arrow keys could be used as well it would be easier to look around and find the destination you are looking for and then a simple click could send the Prince to that building.

The cartoon type graphics are clear to see and the music was 'happy' although I did turn it off after a while.

You are a prince who has just taken over the kingdom on the death of your father and you have to provide completely for your people by building resource buildings and making various magic potions. The potions are used for healing as well as for fighting off your uncle's knights who keep attacking you because he thinks he should have been made king on the death of his brother.

It is a cute little game and although nothing spectacular I will probably buy it as I like a change from IHOGs occasionally.

C

ETA

Following Ivanbral's suggestion I changed to the Free Camera setting and it is sooo much easier to get around ... the map only seems half the size now LOL .

Edited on 06/14/2010 at 8:35:48 AM PST

Robotcat
Guppy
Guppy
172 Posts

[Post New]by Robotcat on Jun 14, 10 3:32 AM
I really wanted to enjoy this game as I like resource management style games.The graphics are cute but the interface is really difficult and not user friendly.

Moving around feels slow and a chore. The game really needs a mini-map as you can't zoom out very far and see the entire map.

Making spells is tedious too as I found it difficult to click and drag the plants into the pot.

I also went to 'Settings' to adjust the size resolution to fit my monitor but although the options were there, they were 'greyed out' and I couldn't click on them.

The ability to speed up the game would have been nice, too.

Very frustrating as this looks like it could be fun, but the interface/ inability to change settings distracts too much from game play.

Edited on 06/14/2010 at 3:35:10 AM PST

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Jun 14, 10 4:01 AM
I totally agree with Cherbtoo, great review !!!

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on Jun 14, 10 4:06 AM
if you don't like the default camera view, you can change it in Settings. You can choose between Orbit and Free camera.

@ cherbtoo
I think you'll enjoy the Free camera. It give you unlimited movement, waypoints for Prince and unlimited zoom, rotation.

@Robotcat
some Settings are not available once you're on the map. to change some specific settings you must do it from the Main Menu. If you video card is not supporting some options like Anti-Aliasing (Smooth Edges) for example, this option will be gray.

Robotcat
Guppy
Guppy
172 Posts

[Post New]by Robotcat on Jun 14, 10 5:07 AM
Thanks for the reply, ivanbral.

My graphics card is good (ATI Radeon 4800 series) with the latest drivers. I play a lot of FPS and World of Warcraft on high settings and have never had any problems before.

It was mainly the inability to change the screen resolution that was annoying. I will try changing it from the main menu. Thanks again.

ETA: Excellent! I just changed all the settings to high and was able to change the resolution on the main menu. The game looks great now and will be more fun to play. 8 minutes of the demo left and I think I think I will buy this one

Edited on 06/14/2010 at 5:18:08 AM PST

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Jun 14, 10 5:17 AM
ivanbral wrote:if you don't like the default camera view, you can change it in Settings. You can choose between Orbit and Free camera.

@ cherbtoo
I think you'll enjoy the Free camera. It give you unlimited movement, waypoints for Prince and unlimited zoom, rotation.

@Robotcat
some Settings are not available once you're on the map. to change some specific settings you must do it from the Main Menu. If you video card is not supporting some options like Anti-Aliasing (Smooth Edges) for example, this option will be gray.

Thank you for the suggestion of using Free Camera. That made it much easier to move around and still know where I am...

pat

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Jun 14, 10 5:37 AM
King’s Legacy is a sweet game. The graphics are good and the music was not bad either. I found that to make the Prince move around faster, double click on where you want him. I was able to gather up more food, rocks, and gold faster. It also took me a while to figure out where to buy blueprints and upgrades. After I figured that out, I did the ole slap the forehead … of course that is what the tutorial said to do. Can I claim Senior Moment on that one?? I had no problem making the first potion to heal villagers, did that several times. Then I needed to make a different potion and there were not the right ingredients in laboratory. Hummmm… where do I get those? Of course, the merchant! I also liked the idea that there is no timer involved in this game.

Now for the flip side of the coin … I found the cursor rather sluggish. I do wish the developers would have given that Option. At times it was rather annoying.

I will buy King’s Legacy as I think it a cute game and I will get enjoyment out of it.

Thanks BF for giving us a good variety of games to choose from.

Pat

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on Jun 14, 10 5:41 AM
Hi everyone!
I'm really glad you like the game! I'm the executive producer in Cateia Games, the developer behind King's Legacy, and it's really great to hear nice reviews and comments.
Thanks!

bansama
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by bansama on Jun 14, 10 6:08 AM
ivanbral, it's always refreshing to see developers come and show that they care about what people think of their games. Please tell the other people who worked on this game that did a wonderful job with it. It's just as fun as Shaman Odyssey is.

Although I do agree with one of the previous posters that spell making is a little clunky due to the drag and drop method. Sometimes I've had ingredients appear several inches away from the pointer making dropping difficult as I am then unsure of whether I should drop when the pointer is over the bowl, or when the ingredient is over the bowl.

Still, despite that one problem I've experienced, I've bought the game =) Looking forward to your next one!

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on Jun 14, 10 6:15 AM
hey bansama!

glad you like it!
well, honestly, we were thinking about Spell making for a long time, and we thought drag-n'-drop was the best solution. we wanted you to have felling that you actually need to put something into the pot, instead clicking only.

we'll try to improve this for our next game.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jun 14, 10 6:56 AM
I played the game for about 25 min and then gave up because I don't like the fact I have to constantly click my mouse to make the guy move and I have no idea how to gather stuff at night for spells and where in heck do I collect gold from? I think it was too confusing and I didn't like it enough to take the time to figure it out.

redrosesdz
Catfish
Catfish
1,691 Posts

[Post New]by redrosesdz on Jun 14, 10 6:59 AM
I wanted to like this game, because I really like resource management games. However, this one gets a big thumbs down from me.

First of all, it is almost exactly like another game. I can't think of the name of the other game. In that one you were on an island, ran around collecting resources, bought blueprints (including upgraded levels) at the chief's hut, built the same type of buildings as this game, made healing potions from ingredients at the fire, etc. It even had everyone going to bed at night, so you could collect resources and make potions. The big difference was that it was easy to control and move around.

Secondly, as mentioned above, the cursor is very difficult to control. It is slow and clunky. I tried the different camera views and it didn't help. I tried double-clicking to make the guy move faster. Sometimes that worked and sometimes it didn't. It is very difficult to explore.

Lastly, the screens aren't intuitive. You have to click on the castle and then on play in order to start a level. Most games you can click on one or the other to start. The cut scenes don't go away by themselves. I waited and waited after the voice over stopped. You have to click on skip all to get going again. The merchant screen is difficult to understand. It looks like it would be simple to make various exchanges, but I only figured out how to sell resources for gold. Also, there are only a limited number of spots for building, so if you need something like stone, but quarry isn't in the build list and there aren't enough spots for it, there is no clues on how to get the stone.

I wish I had something good to say about this game. I like to balance some negatives with positives, but I couldn't find anything I liked about it.

Pindusa
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by Pindusa on Jun 14, 10 7:07 AM
Where are the mushrooms for the Fireball Spell. Navigating in this is a nightmare. You get lost and lose track of where the castle and the villagers are. It would be nice if there were a button that would take you back to the village.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jun 14, 10 7:22 AM
ivanbral wrote:if you don't like the default camera view, you can change it in Settings. You can choose between Orbit and Free camera.

@ cherbtoo

Thank you Ivanbral now I will have to buy the game just to see what the game plays like with a Free camera because I had already used up all the demo time before I posted.

Will be back to edit my review post later.

C

PS . It is really nice to see developers in the Pond and I, for one, appreciate it .

While you are here can I just say that I loved the Legend of Crystal Valley and I have also bought Hotel, haven't played it yet ... but I will.

Cherb.

bansama
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by bansama on Jun 14, 10 7:53 AM
ivanbral wrote:hey bansama!

glad you like it!
well, honestly, we were thinking about Spell making for a long time, and we thought drag-n'-drop was the best solution. we wanted you to have felling that you actually need to put something into the pot, instead clicking only.

we'll try to improve this for our next game.

Please don't get me wrong, it's a good game mechanic. I like the idea of dragging the items to the equipment, it just feels like perhaps a glitch got in the way during implementation.

As a suggestion for improving it, perhaps the mouse pointer could be replaced with the ingredient during dragging. That would solve the problem with the confusion as to whether the pointer or the ingredient should be over the equipment when dropping. And a border highlighting the ingredient could be used to show when it's over equipment it can be used with.

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on Jun 14, 10 8:07 AM
thanks! any comment on how to improve the title is appreciated a lot! the idea with cursor changing to ingredient icon is cool!

Robotcat
Guppy
Guppy
172 Posts

[Post New]by Robotcat on Jun 14, 10 8:21 AM
Pindusa wrote:Where are the mushrooms for the Fireball Spell. Navigating in this is a nightmare. You get lost and lose track of where the castle and the villagers are. It would be nice if there were a button that would take you back to the village.

I bought the mushrooms from the merchant for that level.

I've bought the game and am enjoying it now, and have got the hang of dragging the plants to the pot. Great ideas, bansama.

asierrahiker
Marlin
Marlin
9,070 Posts

[Post New]by asierrahiker on Jun 14, 10 11:20 AM
I'll try the tips given. So far, I'm feeling awfully impatient with this game. I'll admit that I never did get the hang of the other game that was very similar to this one and therefore did not buy it.

I do love this type of game but they need to work pretty smoothly for me. Two left thumbs!

katy12250
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by katy12250 on Jun 14, 10 4:14 PM
I read about this game coming & was really surprised to see it today on BF - and VERY happy!

I was also having a hard time getting around. Now I'm going to go back and try different camera types to see which one works best. Thanks for the double clicking tip to make the prince move faster.

I really do like this game. One of the really great things is no timer, so if you go out in the woods & it takes a while to get back, it's okay. This is one that I really want to take time to explore all the options (& I can't resist gathering resources - just a dungeon crawler at heart!) & figuring out what to do without the pressure of a timer.

Am I going to buy it? Silly question! Of course I am!

Ivan, I've been very impressed with the games from your company that I've tried so far. (Have to get back and work on Hotel some more.) Great quality! And I really love the fact that you hang out in the forum to see what people are thinking & to answer questions.

Go to: