Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for PuppetShow: The Curse of Ophelia Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 3, 18 12:38 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 02/03/2018 at 9:25:18 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for PuppetShow: The Curse of Ophelia Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nanafraser on Feb 3, 18 4:42 AM
I remember the 1st 3 PuppetShow games! They were great! After that that just got weird & creepy! Not for me!

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for PuppetShow: The Curse of Ophelia Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Feb 3, 18 8:07 AM
Played demo... LOVED it. bought game. I'm enjoying everything about this game, especially the bright, clear graphics.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Feb 3, 18 8:36 AM
nanafraser wrote:I remember the 1st 3 PuppetShow games! They were great! After that that just got weird & creepy! Not for me!

I couldn't agree more about the weirdness factor, although this game is certainly better than the last 4 or 5 games, it's still just kinda weird.

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Feb 3, 18 9:23 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on PuppetShow: The Curse of Ophelia Collector's Edition here. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread as the moderators will be removing any content that isn’t a review.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on PuppetShow: The Curse of Ophelia Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBeruna

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Feb 3, 18 2:00 PM
First of all, I would like to comment that I do not think that teeny tiny mini hos should be considered as hos, so I do not agree with the ratio of hos to puzzles in this game which are 19 hos to 11 puzzles. I came across more puzzles in this demo than regular hos and was tiring of it...some of them were a pain. I never like to say that puzzles are easy, because what is easy for some may not be easy for others. The couple of regular hos I came across were well done and took a bit of time, however I don't think I would care to replay either...and this is just based on the demo, I played.

The graphics were excellent as usual for this series....defined and warm colors, creating an atmosphere. The story is not that interesting, at least not so far. I don't get where many of these games are using symbol tatoos all over someone...it is not appealing. Also, punching matches are becoming all too frequent. I don't enjoy punching someone's lights out and listening to the sounds of it.

You have to click on conversations, although it wasn't that frequent, it still takes up time....as well as having the helper doll...cute, but don't care for helpers. You have to "X" out of scenes by going to the X. Can't comment on voices or music because I mute them. Always play casual....and the skip goes down to 5 seconds, which is very convenient.

Gameplay flowed well without being overwhelmed with collecting an overabundance of inventory....thank goodness. You have collectible flowers that are nice and will describe that particular flower in the extras. You also have to collect snowflakes, which to my understanding you have to collect a number of 29 in order to open up a bonus content. I am not sure what that means and hope that someone will elaborate on this because I have not been able to find the snowflake in the dressing room...and found I could not return to that scene once I left. There is supposed to be a snowflake in every scene, but I couldn't find it and the SG did not indicate the location of them. I felt like I was in the dressing room forever looking for a snowflake and did not enjoy it, but would enjoy it even less to get to the end of the game and not be able to do the bonus because I didn't find all the flakes.

I have all the other games in this series...some CE and some SE. Some are better than others, of course...it's a matter of taste. Am not sure of this as a CE, but feel it is hard to judge it by the demo (which was short), so just may buy~

[Post New]by 4myDestiny on Feb 3, 18 3:07 PM
The snowflakes appear and disappear at a very slow pace. Sometimes they're the same color as the background which makes them difficult to spot right away. I was getting annoyed searching for them myself.

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for PuppetShow: The Curse of Ophelia Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Feb 3, 18 4:11 PM
I think this game is superfun. I think two other one where super fun too in this series and they are Mystery of Joyville and Return to Joyville. I love all the others but Lost Town and Her Cruel Collection were more on the just ok side to me. The most steampunk in the series is The Price of Immortality and Lightning Strikes.

I finished the bonus and I missed two snowflakes. I'll have to replay it. So many great tips from my sisters and brothers fishies, I think I can get everything.

This game has 767.3 mb This is a great game. I hope they have many more like this in the series to come. It's a must keep series. They really stepped up with the collectibles. Nice indicator. I liked all the jigsaw puzzles. I didn't like the maze of this one, it gave me motion sickness. I bought this and the new Shadowplay at the BOGO.

When I was on very limited data and I wouldn't use it on trials, what helped was reading reviews and buying series that I liked. Some people don't like anything and some people don't buy anything. That doesn't help someone who only has a few choices to buy. What I wanted back then in a review was details about the perks and if it was too hard and a little taste of the game. Data info is very important and I paid a extra $30 if I went over on my data. So you couldn't go over in data. Maybe some thing about the bonus chapter. I still remember someone talked about riding down hill in the snow in a game and I wanted and bought that game. I was happy with it too. That's what I wanted so that's how I do my reviews.

A real Hops game. A good number of large artful hops. Great replay number too, 19. Relaxed puzzles, lots of in the right order, pairs and jig-saw puzzles. It's so much on the relaxed side that it feels like gliding. SuperFun.

What we need in FEBRUARY are flowers and this games has them with the meaning of the flowers. The doll is cute and she helps you. I like helpers.

When I replayed it again. I noticed that in the achievements when you get one, it has trivia about making this game that I found interesting. It talks about the fine tuning to make this game what it is now. Surprising I only received special info if your have the full tutelage on. Like repairing dolls in the hops.

I also got all my snowflakes and you do have to pick up the one in the dressing room. I looked in the bonus content and I found no different. ( For getting all the snowflakes or not. I do know what it said and I don't know why, it just is)

Edited on 02/06/2018 at 11:37:21 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 3, 18 7:22 PM
Hello friends! As usual, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story to those who do a much better job than I. We have so many of these in this series, that I've lost count! This addition is exactly the same as all the others, with nothing new or exciting. Graphics are pretty nice and clear. Colors seem a little clearer and not as much of a haze as in others in this series. Voices were okay, but sometimes annoying, depending on the character. Very little character interaction. Game play was very nice, with no problems during the demo and it fit my large screen very nicely. We rarely had any music, except when something was about to happen and no real sound FX. It was a very quiet game. Again, we have a helper who helps get into dark, small and high places. She is a creepy "cursed" doll.

HOPs are okay, not much of a variety, but scenes are fairly clear and items are not difficult to find. You have to "correctly place this item," match an item to a color/texture, and interactive HOPs. I did not see that you could switch to something other than HOPs. The puzzles are extremely simple and nothing new. I especially do not care for the "follow the line" puzzles..they are boring and old. Hint system very helpful, but does it transport? The map is put together fairly well, areas are well identified with picture and it does show if you found the collectible.

The only collectibles I found various flowers. These are extremely easy to find, as they are very large and practically jump off the page at you. Collectibles are so disappointing. Definitely need a major upgrade.

I used to really enjoy this series, but the last 5 or so have been so boring, I haven't purchased them. The stories are slow and predictable, HOPs are the same and there is no challenge. I do not care for choosing my dialog at all. That alone will usually always keep me from buying a game. I want to play, not read! I had to make myself finish the demo. This may be an interesting game to a beginner who has never played any of the others in the series, but to anyone who has, it is way past time to call it a day on this one. I will recommend this only to a beginner, but I'm sure there will be some who find it fun and challenging. I am not not one of them, so no buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 4, 18 2:37 AM
A perfect example of why many of those who have been with BF for a bit are moving away from HOPAs.

-the story, which should drive any game, is asinine and completely childish. It is as cookie cutter as it gets and, worse, it propels the myth that developers (especially this one) and BF are pushing on us big time ---- the myth that we gamers are starving for series of games. And that's ok, I guess, if the series are interesting. This series is like watching reruns of old cartoons on TV ---- silly, no particular plot, and full of contrived events to stretch out the game.

-series, series, series, series, and more series. Even BF has taken to proudly announcing "a brand new series" from time to time. When did the notion of a "series" of every single game take hold? This is the 13th game in a series that should have been thrown on the trash heap about 10 games ago. What happened to original ideas and concepts? Why are we being inundated with these sub-par offerings that are nothing more than remakes? They are cheaper to make, that's why.

-predictable and mostly useless CE extras that add nothing to the game. Well, of course, it doubles the game price.
Don't get me wrong ---- some series deserve a long life (a very few of them), but this is not one of them.

I have not liked the puppetshow games for a long time because aside from very beautiful graphics that hold true in this entry, they offer nothing but repetitious, boring, and completely unoriginal games.
This game would appeal to someone new to HOPAs possibly, but I would not think a seasoned gamer would see it as anything but what it is ---- a square-eyed bore.

Edited on 02/04/2018 at 11:30:07 AM PST

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Feb 5, 18 10:36 AM

Edited on 02/05/2018 at 1:42:05 PM PST

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Feb 5, 18 10:44 AM

Edited on 02/05/2018 at 1:42:18 PM PST

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Feb 5, 18 1:48 PM
Hey Everyone,

Swimming by really quickly to remind our players of the guidelines for this thread, as well as one for the Forum Rules. When posting in this thread, please keep the following guidelines in mind:

Treat others with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other users, moderators, or Big Fish employees on the forums will not be tolerated. Play nice.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

We definitely understand wanting to discuss aspects of a favorite game, and we encourage our players to do so in a constructive manner. It's best to do this in a separate thread, however, since this particular thread is reserved for reviews of the game itself. We appreciate everyone's understanding and cooperation in this, since it helps keep our forums an organized, friendly place.

Thanks, everyone, for your time. Happy gaming!

bfgArinelle

Edited on 02/05/2018 at 1:49:08 PM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on Feb 5, 18 6:28 PM

Edited on 02/06/2018 at 9:36:36 AM PST

bfgIlinalta
3,807 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIlinalta on Feb 6, 18 9:47 AM
Hello again Everyone,

We request that players abide by the review guidelines set for each Review thread for our games. This allows players to be able to readily access player's reviews of games to assist them in learning more about whether a game is a good choice for them or not.

As a reminder, posts that are not reviews, or breach the Forum Rules will be removed by a moderator as appropriate. Thank you for being sure to keep this thread specifically for reviews going forward.

Thank you as well for your time. If there are any further questions or concerns, please feel free to PM me directly. I am happy to listen and help out as best I can.

bfgIlinalta

Edited on 02/06/2018 at 9:48:10 AM PST

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Feb 10, 18 5:55 AM
I bought this game for the entertainment not for the challenge. I never buy a game for the challenge. Only the entertainment. I played it three times because I wanted my collectibles, some achievements and other reasons and the more I played the more I liked it. Now it's my current favorite.

The doll, the hops and the scenes are so original. It's unique.

I love this series. Even being number 13. I think some games have improved in the later series. 1. Less Jogging. 2. Less time wasted for waiting to skip.
Why do people play what they don't like? I wouldn't. Why can't you like what you like?
This game is every thing I like.

Not everybody plays for the puzzles and challenge. It is after all a Hidden Object game!

Edited on 02/10/2018 at 6:13:49 AM PST

[Post New]by Hersheyguy1 on Feb 11, 18 3:44 PM
I personally thought this was an average Puppetshow game compared to past games such as Price of Immortality. I like to organize my thoughts with a pros and cons list.

Pros:
Beautiful graphics as always
Good animation of doll
Good variety of difficulty in puzzle
Solid pace
Story that made sense
Teleporting map
Acting prizes with facts about the game

Cons:
Although it was easy to follow along, the story itself was not very creative
Too many dolls, needs more puppets
Too many matching instances
Needed a greater variety of HOS
Wish there was a way to go back to get prizes and snowflakes without replaying game

Edited on 02/11/2018 at 3:44:13 PM PST

Go to: