JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

New Game?

[Post New]by JulieJay on Feb 3, 18 2:21 AM
How are there 3 reviews on the main game page dated 2 Feb? I thought it took 72 hours to post, but, regardless the reviews are dated the day before release? I'm confused.

tribrach
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

Re:New Game?

[Post New]by tribrach on Feb 3, 18 2:40 AM
Hi JulieJay,
I think that the reviews you're seeing are from the players that were sent this game to test. They would have then filled in a survey which I guess is where these three reviews have appeared from.
Jenny

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Feb 3, 18 6:15 AM
Doubtful they got legitimate Beta invites. They just pass around the beta website links and do all the Betas.

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Feb 3, 18 6:54 AM
I agree. "There is something rotten in the state of Denmark". I actually saw a FULL review for a CE literally 20 minutes after the game showed up on the site. In fact, there are tons of examples where reviews are dated the day before the game is released on BFG's site, even if you're a member. And if you read the reviews, they are clearly not reviews for BETA testing.

Look at Spirits of Mystery, released on Jan 20. There was a review posted on Jan 19th. Dark Romance released on Jan 18... Another review posted a day earlier. Noir Chronicles released on Jan 13, yet there is a 5-star, FULL game, review posted the day before...

I've done a few dozen beta tests for BFG over the past couple of years and they are just like the demos we'd play: the game ends after a chapter or two. Yet, these front page reviews have far too much game-play detail, too much info about the extras (morphs, collectibles, etc are never live in the beta tests), too much explanation of the bonus chapters (the beta tests are demos, not the full game) for these reviews to be from the BETA testing.

Sadly, they are typically & consistently from a couple of different user names and they're usually 5-star, OMG! BUY IT NOW!!! BUY IT NOW!!! reviews. When you look at the pattern of these stellar reviews that couldn't possibly be from beta testing or for the full game that came out the day after their review, the apparent & deliberate attempt by BFG to promote their games with "fake" reviews & reviewers needs to be addressed and dealt with...

Edited on 02/03/2018 at 7:34:15 AM PST

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Feb 3, 18 7:44 AM
I was up when they posted a game and a review at 3am est. The reviewer's name starts with Sunny. This was a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe a review came with the new game at the same time, you know they have that count down. I thought it was cheating because I thought it was someone who works at BFG because how can that be. Maybe a office worker who has early access? I have played a game the first day and had them post it. I thought they did that to have some reviews. Some times they hold my review for four days and I don't think that's fair.
But I like or love a lot of games and I don't work for them. I just don't want to downgrade it if I like or love it to make someone else feel better.

Edited on 02/03/2018 at 8:18:19 AM PST

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Feb 3, 18 7:45 AM
I've beta tested plenty and I don't think its from that. I don't think you can past them around either. The only way I think it could be legit is from a foreign country that's a head in time zone from us. But I think that's doubtful.

I was informed that some things can be passed around.

Edited on 02/05/2018 at 7:11:34 AM PST

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Feb 3, 18 8:17 AM
When you beta test a game, you can only leave comments about the game, you cannot post a review on the beta version, for one reason, the game often gets tweaked before it's final release.

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Feb 3, 18 10:38 AM
Makes you wonder, doesn't it? And all the "Rave" reviews. This has nothing to do with beta testing.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Feb 3, 18 12:43 PM
Thank you for your comments. I too don't think the reviews I mentioned are from the beta test. As is mentioned above, one reviewer gives full spoilers of all HOPs and Puzzles. You wouldn't get that information from a beta. I've done plenty to know it's just a demo length.

I see someone has noticed this happening in other games - this is the first time I've spotted it and only thought it strange because this forum wasn't even set up at 8.01am UK time when I saw those reviews on the main game page.

Something strange going on.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Feb 3, 18 1:57 PM
JulieJay wrote:Thank you for your comments. I too don't think the reviews I mentioned are from the beta test. As is mentioned above, one reviewer gives full spoilers of all HOPs and Puzzles. You wouldn't get that information from a beta. I've done plenty to know it's just a demo length.

I see someone has noticed this happening in other games - this is the first time I've spotted it and only thought it strange because this forum wasn't even set up at 8.01am UK time when I saw those reviews on the main game page.

Something strange going on.

A lot of people know exactly what is happening including at least one of the demo reviewers who posted above. It's the same thing as when they share the Beta links around except it is the link for the game release that they clock and snag early.

Rob_Blake
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by Rob_Blake on Feb 3, 18 2:02 PM
I have wondered, too, how some of the same people who do reviews on every HO Collector's Edition had time to write such long and complete reviews, although they are not always positive reviews. However, I did not notice until each of you pointed it out that several of the reviews are dated the day before. Even if they are members who live in Europe, the dates of the reviews should still be same as the day they are released to members only, not the day before, since the games are not available until after midnight PST time. I feel this is something that the moderators can and should explain to us. Hopefully they will not just say that they have no control over who and when reviews are posted.

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Feb 3, 18 2:20 PM
So what is "exactly" going on? Something is and has been going on....perhaps it can't be said right out? The star reviewers who submit these lengthy and complete reviews (that are often 5 stars) know, but there are many of us who do not know and would like to. What is the catch?

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Feb 3, 18 5:07 PM
We don't know what is exactly going on?

Rob_Blake
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by Rob_Blake on Feb 4, 18 7:27 AM
Is anyone brave enough to try and PM any of the main reviewers, to see if they will tell anyone how they have access to the games before the rest of us members? They may not respond or they might get offended, but a lot of us who have been members for several years and have spent a lot of money with BFG would like an answer. I don't think any of them work for BFG or any of the developers, as some of their reviews and comments are rather negative at times.

tejasgal
Manatee
Manatee
4,062 Posts

[Post New]by tejasgal on Feb 4, 18 7:29 AM
I'm so glad to see others that have noticed this and like you, wonder how they manage to do that if they are Not BFG employees.
I also wondered why they are so often very positive reviews when many here in the forum disagree?
I also wonder why they give a game 3 or 4 stars, pan the game, and say Yes! they recommend the game?
Like all of you, I would really like to see this answered since I have decided to ignore those reviewers and come here to see what "real" fishies have to say.

And, with that, I will say-Thanks to all those that write honest, thought through reviews. They do help.

[Post New]by MaryCricket on Feb 4, 18 9:59 AM
I have often wonder about this, some might have inside information about it, or they know someone in the inside to have them play the whole game before it get is access even to the members.

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Feb 4, 18 3:21 PM
You would absolutely have to have accessibility to a game in order to be submitting the kinds of complete reviews as is being submitted by these select reviewers, especially the day before a game is even released to us. And how about all the patronizing of games and developers by these same members? Why not just start checking the "not helpful" box on those main page reviews? There are so many who have been noticing this for a long time...and it was very observant of the one who posted about the dates of these reviews being posted on the main game page...that took some courage. Perhaps it is time to take a stand and be a voice of HONESTY.

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Feb 5, 18 6:53 AM
cathybobcat wrote:You would absolutely have to have accessibility to a game in order to be submitting the kinds of complete reviews as is being submitted by these select reviewers, especially the day before a game is even released to us. And how about all the patronizing of games and developers by these same members? Why not just start checking the "not helpful" box on those main page reviews? There are so many who have been noticing this for a long time...and it was very observant of the one who posted about the dates of these reviews being posted on the main game page...that took some courage. Perhaps it is time to take a stand and be a voice of HONESTY.

Seems unfair for someone who never has a review over there to say that. Lots of people buy, play and take their time to take notes and compose a review. For someone who just trials and doesn't invest the money or time to say that is UNFAIR!

What if someone mistook someone for just loving and liking games?

Edited on 02/05/2018 at 7:08:34 AM PST

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Feb 5, 18 7:27 AM
I noticed that 2 "not helpful" are taken off of all my reviews. See what I mean? I don't get that many in the first place.

Where's your review?

Edited on 02/05/2018 at 7:56:06 AM PST

bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on Feb 5, 18 9:45 AM
Hi there,

I see that there have been a number of questions about reviews and reviewers here and I wanted to take a moment to follow up.

We do have a number of avid reviewers in our community, and I can assure you that none are affiliated with or employed by the company.

As pennmom36 noted, beta versions of games distributed by Big Fish Games are incomplete versions and cannot be reviewed on the site. While we can't speak to the specifics of any one reviewer's process it is possible that some reviewers may begin writing their review after playing the beta version, updating it after release.

The availability of a beta version through our site is dependent on one being made available to us by a developer, some developers may choose to provide beta content to players via other means.

When a review is submitted via the website it can take up to 72 hours for it to be approved and posted to the page. Our in-house moderation team and our 3rd party vendors' moderation team do all they can to get reviews approved well within that time.

There have been a couple of points raised here that will be looked into further, but as this thread is discussing reviews and reviewers rather than the game itself, I am going to go ahead an lock it. Please don't hesitate to PM a moderator if there are further questions now, or in future.

bfgMurrumbidgee

Go to: