bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Little Space Duo

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 15, 10 1:32 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Little Space Duo? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Little Space Duo

[Post New]by patnsky on Jun 15, 10 2:27 AM
I only played about 20 minutes before quitting and deleting Little Space Duo. It sounded like a game I would love to play but in reality, I found it rather confusing. I went to Options to adjust the music down somewhat. Then it seemed as if I had to choose to use my cursor, or arrow keys, or game stick. After that there was a place to check for 'two player option'. I left that alone. But then I had to choose who was going to respond to the cursor or game stick, Lucy or Sunny. Heck if I had any idea. I do not have a game stick.

When I finally got into the game, the first, it seemed anyway, 5 minutes was just dialog to read. I got the idea to move along the corridor. If I pushed certain buttons it would open or shut partitions along the way. I was able to get onto the elevators to go up or down. Well that is about as far as I got. I spent the rest of the time going back and forth from one elevator to another, going up and down; up and down; up and down. That is when I quit the game and deleted from my Game Manager.

I still think if I knew how to play this game it might be interesting and different. I am sure for those who figure it out; they will have hours of fun with Lucy and Sunny in Little Space Duo. I am In no way saying this is not a good game. What I am saying is I do not understand it and therefore it is not a game for me.

I still think if I knew how to play this game it might be interesting and different. I am sure for those who figure it out; they will have hours of fun with Lucy and Sunny in Little Space Duo. I am In no way saying this is not a good game. What I am saying is I do not understand it and therefore it is not a game for me.

I still say Thanks BF for providing us with such a great variety of games so that everyone’s likes and dislikes are meant.

Pat

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Jun 15, 10 4:49 AM
I loved this game! So different from the norm. Yes the controls are a little hard to get used to, but you can set them up either way to what best suits you. This platformer makes you stop and think and is not overly easy. While I cursed and yelled at it many times, the challenge was fantastic and the feeling of accomplishment when you finally solved the level....wow! With 40 levels, I doubt anyone will be yelling its too short.

LOVED IT!

beckx020
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by beckx020 on Jun 15, 10 8:00 AM
I'm liking this game! The controls aren't hard. After reading the comments so far I was prepared to be stuck and not able to do things. Not true.

The options I turned off the music, turned down the sound and left the rest alone since I didn't want to change it. When you start the game it helps you with instructions. It doesn't mean that you have to use the keyboard, mouse, gamepad all at the same time. You can use any combinations you want. Example I walk using the mouse to lead Lucy and Sunny. But action, which character, and link/unlink them are keyboard.

However, it's a puzzle that you really have to think about. Actions in one part affect things in another part.

I will need the walkthrough for this one. I just know it.

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Jun 15, 10 10:13 AM
Got stuck quickly with Lucy going up and down in the elevator but not down to the next lower level as was my intention. I started clicking different colored buttons with no effect. Just sat watching her going up and down helplessly. I've no idea what I'm supposed to do or what the robot's purpose was in the game besides giving instructions. If it's that hard for me before any enemies are introduced, it's too stressful for me to even contemplate. I never played video games. Maybe that's the problem.

[Post New]by EccentricFlower on Jun 15, 10 10:21 AM
Very nice game. Nice to see something on BFG that isn't yet another hidden-object or match-three in disguise.

I gather the controls confuse some people. I'm sorry to hear it. The idea is that there are some things only the robot can do and some things only the girl can do. Once you master that you will usually need to control only one or other of them at one time, and switch back and forth between them a lot, the controls make far more sense.

Also, as long as I seem to be going against the general flow of opinion I'm pleased to see a game which can be played entirely with the keyboard if you so choose. I play these games on a laptop and I get really tired of all-mouse games; laptop pointing devices kill my fingers after a while. I'd like to see more games that don't forget to offer a keyboard option.

beckx020
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by beckx020 on Jun 15, 10 11:58 AM
You can't click on stuff with the mouse! Only Lucy or Sunny can do/click things using your action key (left control) or the action mouse button (quick left click I think).

Those instructions were on the first level at the top for almost the whole level.

Read them. Keyboard instructions:
Left Control = action/click
C = change character (Lucy or Sunny) where they are NOT linked.
Space bar = Link or unlink Lucy and Sunny.
Arrow keys = move that way.

If you are just going to click through the dialog without reading it, don't bother to download the game.

Introduction of things are done with the dialog. Such as saving your progress, which lights/buttons control which things in the game, when you want a robot stuck on one side or the other of a door. How to do things.

This isn't a boring HOG game you just click through the dialog because it doesn't matter if you read it or not. (And I for one am glad it's not!)

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Jun 15, 10 6:00 PM
Little Space Duo

This is a cute little puzzle-platformer game. Navigate Lucy and her AI-sidekick, Sunny, through levels while avoiding the cargo-collecting robots and turning power circuits on/off, etc.

Although the artwork is very simple, there's still something more to the graphics than meets the eye. The movements for Lucy are not stiff at all. She looks very natural as she walks, runs and interacts with objects.

The controls for the game are a bit unwieldy, though you have 3 control options: Mouse, keyboard and... joystick, I think? I had to stick with the mouse, and I had trouble remembering how to switch back and forth between characters. The tutorial was no problem, the second level confused me until I remembered that you could operate the characters separately... and I couldn't get past the third level, even with walkthrough help. I'm still not sure what I was doing wrong. Visually it was pretty obvious what needed to be done, but... Ah well

I lasted 25 minutes into the game, and since I couldn't progress, that's as far as I went. I think this will be a fun game for those who like the genre

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Jun 15, 10 7:55 PM
I'm sure this is a great game for some of you............not me.....directions,controls issues........too much reading.......(yawn)
Dr.good
p.s. and once again, this is just my personal opinion. I realize some of you really like it..............................enjoy

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Jun 16, 10 1:16 PM
Wow with those comments, I am really hesitant to play but oh well something new sounds good right now... Well download is done (at least its a shortie in that respect!) so I am off to play. I will come back and voice my opinion (just that folks) in either an hour or in 15 minutes!! :-)

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Jun 16, 10 1:49 PM
Leanda1 wrote:Wow with those comments, I am really hesitant to play but oh well something new sounds good right now... Well download is done (at least its a shortie in that respect!) so I am off to play. I will come back and voice my opinion (just that folks) in either an hour or in 15 minutes!! :-)

Well would you believe 35 minutes!! I did not find the controls hard (of course I did write them down and glanced at them more than once LOL) But all in all a cute game. I am not good at evading the bad guy games which this is I get too nervous (ahh not enough patience) so it is a no go for me. However, I do think it is a great example of this type of game, and think its great for regular "gamers" alas, I am too old to enjoy it!

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Jun 16, 10 5:46 PM
Definitely not my type of game. I thought at first I might enjoy it but it seems a bit like old format games and not really my cup of tea.

But I'm glad to see several of you really are enjoying it! There's always something for everyone at BFG!

opiesmom
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by opiesmom on Jun 19, 10 12:50 PM
Ok, I haven't been posting negative game reviews up to now but I'm getting tired of wasting time downloading even free trials just to delete the game less than 5 minutes into it.

First, dear game developers. I wish you would stop wasting our time with lengthy screens of opening dialog/story junk that has nothing to do with actual game play. I read books for that kind of entertainment. When I want to play I want to get right into the game.

Second, if I have to waste more than a minute figuring out how to move to the first tutorial task I'm out.

Sorry, no fun for me on this one. Instant delete.

fahr451
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by fahr451 on Jun 27, 10 11:54 AM
beckx020 wrote:I'm liking this game! The controls aren't hard. After reading the comments so far I was prepared to be stuck and not able to do things. Not true.

I agree with you, I like LSD too (ehhhm... not the drug, of course )

I appreciate it even more considering this is the work of only ONE person, doing programming, graphics, storyboard and everything else except music.

Like other great games as Mount&Blade or Machinarium, this is the demonstration that low budget does not mean low quality

Edited on 06/27/2010 at 11:56:24 AM PST

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Jun 29, 10 5:12 PM
Little Space Duo is a spatial relations puzzle game in which puzzles are solved by switching between two characters with different abilities. The basic design is very simple, but the combinations can be complex and perplexing.

Wow! For me this is a fantastic and clever game. As noted by others above, you will need to actually read the instructions in order to understand how to play the game. Does that sound condescending? Well, I realize we are used to HOGs where we have played the type so many times that we do not have to bother with any learning.

I understand that some folks hate story, but there seems to be very little of it (if any) after the opening screen. Also, all the dialogue can be clicked through as fast as you can read it so it's just 2 - 4 minutes if you do that. Of course, if English is your 2nd language, etc, then it could take longer. But really, there's less story than there is in the airplane safety card you're supposed to read on a plane. The later dialogue I encountered was instructions. Instructions teach you how to play the game. You will need to know how to play the game in order to play the game. Amazing, huh!

The game is challenging (to me anyway!) and will require several try-overs on the various levels. That may be frustrating to some.

Also, there is an element that may prove frustrating even to those of us who love these kind of puzzle games. There is a certain amount of timing things so that you aren't caught by the cargo robots on the ship. It's not exactly arcade/twitch action, but it could easily be frustrating for many players who would prefer a more relaxed and purely cerebral experience.

I encourage folks who enjoy non-HOG puzzles, especially spatial relations, to give this game a real try (and read the instructions!).

PS I was also really tickled to see a pure science fiction themed game! I think this may be the first one I've encountered on BF. Any others you'd recommend?

[Post New]by sharmarupali on Aug 11, 10 8:01 AM
I liked this game it's nice advanture and makes you think and use u r brain but sometimes it get hard to figure out the way through all the task, and as for controls it's all about getting use to them and one's u do it easy the feathers of the game are ok not too fancy and not too bad either.

Go to: