bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for The Crop Circles Mystery

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 16, 10 1:13 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of The Crop Circles Mystery? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for The Crop Circles Mystery

[Post New]by doctorgood on Jun 16, 10 1:27 AM
boring and unimaginative. The music is repetitive and dull. The HOG scenes are unattractive and are used more than once to find a different list of clues. It loaded and played perfect which is one of it's few attributes.The puzzles aren't much either. If I was using the" Homeland Security " method of color coding this game it would be dull gray. I started yawning after 5 min., and stopped playing after 20. That's all I could stand.
Dr.good

[Post New]by happygrams18 on Jun 16, 10 1:34 AM
Sorry folks...this game is, in my opinion, is for children. Probably about the ages of 6-12.

It is very well done however. I quit playing and only played about 45 minutes. There is a lot of searching for items such as 12 poppies, batteries, etc. Easy to find items. The one puzzle that I played was easy, but I think for the above age group that it would be perfect.

I think the graphics and the music are fine for the above age group and that they would enjoy the game very much. If you are looking for a game for your children, this is a good one...they will be entertained, but more than that they will learn to recognize the planets, tools, different foods, etc.

Give the demo a try and make your own decision...we are all different.

For me, I need something more challenging, but for the children I will give it 5 stars

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jun 16, 10 1:34 AM
This game is an IHOG with clear cartoon style graphics ... sorry can't tell you about the music as DH was watching the news and I couldn't have the sound on . There are unlimited hints which take about 30 seconds to refill.

I opted to play the Relaxed version and the objects were fairly easy to find, the items that go into your inventory are all used in the current scene and you are told exactly what to do with them even though you have a naked scarecrow with sparkles all over him and a hat, shirt and trousers in your inventory, I would never have guessed .

A storm wrecked the farm and you have to clean it up by collecting the hidden objects and also by picking about a dozen pumpkins to sell in your farm shop. The farm shop is like a TM game where you have customers that you have to serve but of course there was no timer in the version I was playing so I only had to serve 8 customers correctly. Having made some money I then had to decide which part of the farm I was going to repair just by clicking on it.

Although this game seems to have everything I personally found it boring, sorry developers.

There was also one aspect that I absolutely hated and that was when you click on a found object you got a sudden circle of light which I found too bright for my eyes and, when I was collecting the pumpkins and was clicking one after another this light was practically continuous and it hurt my eyes. If the object vanishes from the game it tells us that we were correct in our find so why do the developers have to add loads of stars or bright circles of light to tell us we were correct, it beats me .

C

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Jun 16, 10 1:43 AM
I just finished the Demo of Crop Circles. The graphics are nice and clear rather than dark like so many of the mysteries are. The music, which I tend to turn down low, was OK and I did not find annoying or irritating. I liked that I could change the cursor in the Options Menu. I did not try the game cursor as so often in the past I found it slowed the game down. If that option is provided I automatically change to the system cursor. There are two modes for the game. Relaxed and Timed and I choose the Relaxed mode. There is a penalty for over clicking but it is only a moment of the screen going very dark. Hints seem to be plentiful and recharge rather quickly.

I know there is a Walkthrough and a Strategy Guide available but I did not find I would need either one. The Hidden Objects, while some are not the easiest to find, were large enough for these old eyes to find. I am not sure how long Crop Circles is, but I was in the 3rd level when I stopped playing.

This is a game I think can be played more than once and one that it is good for those days when an easy, mindless game is wanted instead of one that takes total concentration. This is a cute game and since I still have a free game credit left, Crop Circles will be added to my game inventory.

Thank You BF for providing us with such a nice variety of games so all fishies find something they want.

Pat

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Jun 16, 10 1:49 AM
I agree, it unimaginative and boring and for a juvenile gamer. A no buy for me. I think I have been spoiled by some great games in the past.

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Jun 16, 10 2:09 AM
Too tedious and lackluster for me. As someone else said, the lights/flashing trigger migraines so this is a big no sale, all the way around.

b00kworm
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

[Post New]by b00kworm on Jun 16, 10 2:18 AM
I played the demo and have to admit this one is an easy game. Still, that's not bad, the graphics are good and maybe the story develops a bit more once you're deeper in the game. It certainly wouldn't be something for a CE, but at the normal price, I give it a try. Looks like a game you can play again every once in a while.

LilyCat
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by LilyCat on Jun 16, 10 2:23 AM
I agree with all the above - I'd play if it was given to me free, or even as a DD, but not worth full price. It has the feel of games that were coming out two or three years ago, and were novel then, but times change and we've been spoilt by some really excellent games.

Note to devs: Must try harder!

Edit - after playing full demo. Actually, in the end I quite enjoyed this game. Haven't uninstalled it anyway - might possibly buy it if nothing else competes for this month's credit.

Edited on 06/16/2010 at 10:20:33 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 16, 10 3:00 AM
I just finished an easy going hour of the trial, just short of finishing the second chapter library. Would have finished both chapters but spent too much time on the rewire colored wire puzzle. Should have skipped it but tried to find it on the walkthrough before I just hit skip.

Just another light hearted hog with some interaction, finding clothes for a scarecrow, or tools to fix something. Inventory items used in same scene so story moves along quite fast and smoothly. No tech problems at all, muted the music though as I was listening to tv, just something to do without much if any concentration.

The scenes were clear and colorful, some redundance going again to find other items or multiples of things to sell at the farmer's market. Reminded me of Gardenscapes with finding for customers, then more items appear so the lists do grow. I liked that the items are appropriate to the scene, vegies in the market, useful items on the farm in disarray after a storm. I wasn't aware of the flashes mentioned above so I guess they didn't bother me. I like hint systems that will show a silouette if you click on the item word, doesn't cost you hints.

Maybe for juveniles if that includes old ladies that just like a few hours of amusement finding things, nothing offensive. I love the subject of crop circles and their ongoing mysteries, hoax or otherworldly from back when I listened to Art Bell all night radio.In fact the reason I got online with my first computer was to see the pictures of them he and callers talked about. A great theme for a game but the overall game didn't grab me like a more complex adventure ihog could. So, I felt some letdown since it is an average straight hog, not much depth or intensity but good try.

An hour for 2 chapters I'm slow and untimed, figure on about 3 hours if I buy and finish. I enjoyed it more than the similar but messy Antique Road Show and very surprised that one hit the top 10 list. So, IMO devs don't have to "try harder", there's plenty other games for more advanced players, I'm sure there is a market for those just starting out on HOGs, learning to interact, do puzzles and feel some accomplishment or like to just take a breather sometimes. Nothing wrong with this game at all as I can see for the right players. Maybe with one of my freebies if nothing else amuses me by the end of the month. Saving my credits for "the real thing" if that comes along.
3 of 5 because it would be more than 2 hours not bad

mountfalcon
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by mountfalcon on Jun 16, 10 3:31 AM
Some unfair criticism - the game is straightforward, not especially demanding and lacks great originality, but it's quite bright and cheerful, the objects are clearly recognisable and the artwork, though not to everyone's taste, is consistent and not unattractive. I wouldn't want to play beyond the demo, but I'm sure others would, and for those who prefer something gentle and undemanding - and that's what defines a casual game for a lot of players - this is fine. If you don't like it, that's fine too, but don't condemn something just because it happens not to meet your own personal requirements.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jun 16, 10 3:55 AM
Just finished playing the demo. I like this one . I like the farm setting (having been raised in Nebraska), and the change of plot from the usual dark crime mystery things in an old house (- this week playing Be Trapped! alongside Dr. Lynch Grave Secrets has had me really confusing their plots).

Pretty sure this will get my next game coupon.

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Jun 16, 10 4:14 AM
I totally agree with CasualGran and patnsky's review, great reviews btw. I was impressed with the graphics and I liked the music. I did happen to notice that the objects weren't very well-hidden, some in plain view. Though I would have to admit, I did think the game was a bit different. I did like the fact that you weren't limited on the amount of hints. I also was pleased with the two modes, timed and relaxed. If you are an IHOG fan, I would recommend you all to at least give it a try. For you all that are enjoying this game, have a super time.....Happy Gaming, fishies !!!

Edited on 06/16/2010 at 4:15:31 AM PST

sunnyrocks
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyrocks on Jun 16, 10 4:15 AM
For you gamers that do not like cartoonish style games, this is not for you, however Some items are very easy to find as some are not so easy to spot. I do agree this game is more for 6-12 yr olds, but if you are an adult and are looking for a mindless game to kill time, you might like this one.

Does anyone know when another good MCF game is coming out?

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Jun 16, 10 4:42 AM
mountfalcon wrote:. If you don't like it, that's fine too, but don't condemn something just because it happens not to meet your own personal requirements.

Umm, I believe it's called having an opinion and this is the comment and review section.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jun 16, 10 5:24 AM
I betatested this game and didn`t like it because of a few points. I have played this game today again and didn`t like it again. It seems they haven`t changed the points I have made in the survey.

Contras:
- blinking objects after clicking on the correct item
- items are scattered in the scene like trash and have nothing to do with the story
- uninteresting and dull story, nothing that would keep me to buying it
- Very short length - only 1 1/2 hours appr.

Plus:
- good graphic - not really special or something like Ravenhearst or Puppetshow but good graphic

I wouldn`t buy the game because of my contrapoints. I hope tomorrow for a better game (hopefully ihog or tm).

mamaduke63
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by mamaduke63 on Jun 16, 10 5:54 AM
Anyone know how long the game is?

Thanks
Mamaduke

[Post New]by heatherington on Jun 16, 10 6:08 AM
Too many times in one scene. I don't like hidden object games that stay in the same scene all the time. No music to speak of and, needless to say, not any where near the quality that we have come to expect with any of the Mystery Case File or Hidden Expeditions or the like. I'll buy this, but only because there is absolutely nothing else out there right now and I need it. It's sort of like a fix, if I used drugs. It will do in a pinch until something better comes along.

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Jun 16, 10 6:10 AM
I wanted to like this one, but just didn't. I found it boring and when I had to find the parts for a metal detector, just decided to throw in the towel. Younger kids, or those newer to HOGs might like it. The storyline had potential and I found nothing i didn't like in terms of music, graphics, but game play didn't hold my interest.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jun 16, 10 6:56 AM
mamaduke63 wrote:Anyone know how long the game is?

Thanks
Mamaduke

Depending on the blog walkthrough appr. 1 1/2 hours

Go to: