bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Agatha Christie: 4:50 from Paddington

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 17, 10 1:29 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Agatha Christie: 4:50 from Paddington? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Agatha Christie: 4:50 from Paddington

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jun 17, 10 2:41 AM
Good graphics, pleasant music and a murder to solve ...
where did the hour go .

After trying the other game that was released today this was pure heaven to play even if you did have to find half a golf ball among the grass and trees alongside the railway line.

There is a small bit of interaction with finding a few of the same objects and putting them in a container but the only minigames that I have found is matching two clues together by following the string that links them ... easy peasy lemon squeezy. I am not sure how long this game is, I got as far as finding the body, but it is a definite buy for me as I enjoy a nice relaxing game now and again.

C

[Post New]by briteredlips on Jun 17, 10 2:56 AM
Beautiful game. Crystal clear graphics. Nice story. Fans of these games will be pleased. Timed or relaxed, puzzles can be skipped. Recharge hint system. A few more interactive aspects than the previous games, though I think this game is quite a bit easier than the others. All in all, a really nice game for anyone. This is a buy for me. I give it a big Thumbs Up

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Jun 17, 10 3:00 AM
Great review, chebtoo.

I also enjoyed the graphics and the music, I thought this game was nice. I know there are some fishies that don't appreciate the smaller objects, I apologize but I did happen to notice some in this game. I was pleased with the two different modes this game has available timed and carefree mode. I hope you fishies enjoy, Happy Gaming !!!

b00kworm
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

[Post New]by b00kworm on Jun 17, 10 3:04 AM
I always award extra points to games which let me choose between timed and untimed (named carefree in this game) mode. I also love the great graphics they always produce for the Agatha Christie HOGs. Some new aspects, too, with looking for the locations on the map before you can enter them and start searching hidden objects. Definitely another addition to my collection.

gilly85
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by gilly85 on Jun 17, 10 3:18 AM
Absolutely love the Agatha Christie stories and I wasn't disappointed by this transfer into a PC game .
The graphics are excellent and when an object is found a pleasant click is always reassuring.
The background music is lovely and gentle unlike some games where it seems to barge in and interrupt too much.
I like it especially when things are appropriate to the subject and in the correct place which always makes it harder to find in my view (although why Miss Marple would keep a spade in her bookcase is beyond me). Although relatively easy to find most of the items I did have to use the hint button a couple of times.
Several items may be difficult to find for my US friends such as a 'purse' which is not a handbag, it's just for loose change etc. but the hint gives you a magnifying glass which you use to click on what you are looking for and that is wonderful.
Added extras are:
the hidden items which aren't revealed until all the displayed items are found. Some interaction with found items although not carried in an inventory - you have to find them WHEN they are needed and
having to locate the next scene by yourself from a clue and a map. For my US friends again, as the writing itself is a lttle small, finding Bristol could be a challenge.
Minigames so far have involved rummaging around to find things, and following wires to connect clues. Maybe they'll get better but I was only at Chapter 5 when time ran out.
Not sure whether I would buy this at full price, perhaps on a DD or with an extra credit, but if I did it would be to enjoy the wonderful story as much as the gameplay itself.
Nice one

Edited on 06/17/2010 at 3:19:37 AM PST

duchesse67
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by duchesse67 on Jun 17, 10 3:25 AM
"cherbtoo wrote:

Good graphics, pleasant music and a murder to solve ...
where did the hour go .

Love the game
This is a buy form me.

One should at least try the demo.

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Jun 17, 10 4:54 AM
I also liked the graphics and the music, but I thought the game was way too easy for an Agatha Christie game especially during the timed mode. Don't hate me for saying this, but I don't think the reviews would be so positive if the name wasn't attached.
I might buy it on sale but not now.

LilyCat
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by LilyCat on Jun 17, 10 5:59 AM
I love the way the this game is so perfectly located in 1950s England - takes me back to my childhood! That all-pervading brown colour in all the furnishings (very serviceable!) is so authentic.

The attention to detail is almost perfect, to the extent that the odd Americanism grates a bit - no English person would talk about a 'sailboat'. But that's a tiny quibble, it just keeps us on our toes!

Taking this one very slowly, avoiding hints as much as possible, just enjoying the atmosphere. Will almost certainly buy - just as well my monthly game credit has just arrived!

cece2u45
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by cece2u45 on Jun 17, 10 6:06 AM
I loved it it was a bit short for me, but well worth the money, I love all A.C. game's. Thank's

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Jun 17, 10 6:34 AM
I don't read Agatha Christie novels but assume this mystery is generally true to form.

Graphics: Excellent
Music: ..... I played with music on and found it pleasant and unobtrusive
Storyline: Very Good. I like how the characters and clues are woven into
.........................................the gameplay.

I appreciated the developers allowing me to choose whether I wanted to play a timed or a relaxed game.

Since I'm unfamiliar with England, I enjoyed finding the locations on the map where I needed to look for clues. Found this part somewhat interesting.

Minigames are very simple; I'd have like a little more challenge. The demo ran out while I was in Chapter 6. I'm wondering how long the game is ... how many chapters there are.

It was a fun hour. This one will go on my "maybe" list.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jun 17, 10 6:34 AM
Can someone who has finished this game, tell me how long the game is?
With only being 42.46MB, which is very small for a HOG, I am affraid it's going to be a very short game.
Thanks, and happy gaming everyone :-)

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Jun 17, 10 6:42 AM
This game was very entertaining for the hour. I got to Chapter 3, but my Windows 7 program keeps the game compact. So I have to get used to finding things. The hints helped. My magnifier, (hint), just highlighted or showed me the item when I clicked on the item name in the column. I did play around with the resolution too to see if the screen would enlarge. Like the other game Salem Witch trial it didn't. I am running a 64 bit Vaio also and my dxdiag tells me all is okay. So I will just fumble on.!
The screen images were clear no complaints there. I turned off the music. I usually do, others in the room, or tv on , etc. It is an intriguing story line and there is some interaction with items used right away as someone else here described. So it is a buy for me! Great game offers BFG this month! Duo is not my forte however because I'm still fighting to win the turtle race in Robinson Crusoe!!!!
Happy Gaming all! Sally

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Jun 17, 10 7:14 AM
Just found the walkthrough. There are 11 chapters and the Finale. Since I was in Chapter 6 when the demo ended, I'm estimating about 2 - 1/2 hours of gameplay. You'd need to calculate game time based on how much you accomplished in the demo vs about 12 chapters.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jun 17, 10 7:36 AM
Played the demo. Well made game, but for me this one was on the boring side. Just a matter of tastes, I think. We all get different feelings from various settings and items and sounds and music. I'm guessing some folks will find this just their cup of tea.

nmarsh46
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by nmarsh46 on Jun 17, 10 7:43 AM
This is an excellent game!!! The objects while well hidden and sometimes small are findable. The graphics are very well done. Thus far (I'm on chapter 5) there are no strange objects. I love the format of the game (solve the clue to find the location) Buy this game!!!!!!!!!

Fykomfei
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by Fykomfei on Jun 17, 10 7:57 AM
I love this game. I've read the novel, seen the movie (an old one, with Margaret Rutherford), I now I play the game with great pleasure. Thanks, BFG!

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Jun 17, 10 9:27 AM
This was a buy for me. Graphics are clear, scenes are beautifully rendered. Some objects are very small, but with such nice scenery, I did not mind the search. Music is pleasant and nonintrusive. Atmospheric. Objects are consistant with the time setting. Agatha Christie mystery is a plus. 3 hints at the start of each scene with refills. Mini games of sort and find are simple, but so beautiful yu won't skip them. I am not stumped in the search for items and am about 30% into the game at this writing and can't wait to get back to it.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Jun 17, 10 10:35 AM
A must buy for me! I loved the other Agatha Christie games and the demo
very good for this one too. Colorful, sharp scenes and good storyline.
Appreciate the two modes. I usually play the relaxed one the first time around
and the timed one for subsequent plays. A nice surprise to find this one
today! Thanks again BF.

thecatspjs
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by thecatspjs on Jun 17, 10 10:36 AM
I've been waiting for this game every since I heard it was coming out and I'm downloading it now. I loved the other Agatha Christie HOGS and I'm hoping this one will be similar, with the beautiful graphics and not-too-easy items to search for. I love the stories and in addition to reading the book a long time ago, I have seen both the Margaret Rutherford and Joan Hixon movies.

Go to: