bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for The Mysterious Past of Gregory Phoenix

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 17, 10 1:30 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of The Mysterious Past of Gregory Phoenix? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for The Mysterious Past of Gregory Phoenix

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jun 17, 10 2:29 AM
WARNING ... If you don't like bright lights don't play this game.

What do I think of this game? Well I am sorry to say not a lot. The first thing that I found annoying was you had two people talking to each other but they were not on the screen ... each person bobbed onto and off the screen each time it was their turn to speak ... it was like watching a seesaw.

The graphics were reasonable for home drawn ones although some items are fuzzy, changing from scene to scene was a bit jerky and the music was repititious. The hints seem plentiful as you have to collect batteries to gain extra ones (to me the batteries looked like blue fuses ).

Some items are hidden and you have to use a monitor in order to be able to see them which was fine. Each time you complete a scene you are given a rune with has to be put on a map and you click on these runes to travel to the next location and this is where you need to be wearing several pairs of .

OMG it was just like being in a time tunnel of pure light. if you didn't have a headache before you started playing you will get one, my eyes hurt.

By the way the cursor goes walkabout if you click a few times as I found out while trying to find some of the items in the fuzzy forest with mist at the bottom and for me that was the last straw that broke this camels ( I mean 's back)

I am sorry developers who I am not allowed to name, you had a good idea for a game but the execution was not player friendly at all.

C

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on Jun 17, 10 2:33 AM
Tried it for 30 minutes (short on time, have to go to work)
Gregory, who needs a new hairstylist and wears 3 watches and
is probably a bit geeky, needs to solve a family mystery
Instructions given by Robbie the Robot are clear and not annoyingly intrusive.
The one puzzle I did not hard at all
You have to find these certain objects which will help you to travel
to other spots where you have more ****.

BEWARE: For anyone who suffers from motion sickness;
The first airplane ride Gregory says "I wish this plane would land"
will be your exact sentiments. Trying to find HOGs while it's rocking
back and forth is not for the weak of stomach

I discovered during that plane ride that there is no waiting for hint
button to recharge. But make sure you collect batteries in each ****
scene.
It's an ok game but didn't quite grab me personally.
For someone who likes HOGs in a comic type setting this might
be for them-maybe.

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Jun 17, 10 2:53 AM
cherbtoo wrote:
I am sorry developers who I am not allowed to name, you had a good idea for a game but the execution was not player friendly at all.

Nice review cherbtoo.

I totally agree!

I think that if I wasn't so busy shielding my eyes and grabbing for the barf-bag I could have really enjoyed this game.

PS "I am sorry developers who I am not allowed to name"...??? PM if you need to.

Edited on 06/17/2010 at 2:55:05 AM PST

grammyapples
Herring
Herring
343 Posts

[Post New]by grammyapples on Jun 17, 10 5:07 AM
Guess I am odd man out, but am quite enjoying this one.
Agreed the lights are bright when changing scenes but the game itself is a bit different and enjoyable.
Nice mini games, easy and fun.
Off to purchase this one.

Ember66
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Ember66 on Jun 17, 10 5:20 AM
i've just finished playing the hour demo.
this is a simple and fun game but not very challenging. the story line is basic and doesn't inspire me enough to buy the game to complete it.
i also get the feeling that the whole game isn't very long as i'd managed to gather and play almost two thirds of the "keys" in the demo hour.
i didn't find the game too bright, maybe my monitor setting is dark.

i have to agree that the plane ride was nauseating and rather distracting. i had to keep looking away from the screen. good job the objects were fairly easy to find.

perhaps some instructions for some of the minigames would be good? i managed because i'm familiar with most of the types that cropped up.
i'd say this was a good game for the children.

Edited on 06/17/2010 at 5:23:26 AM PST

lucyloket
Guppy
Guppy
138 Posts

[Post New]by lucyloket on Jun 17, 10 6:38 AM
Considering the demo was a 'small file' download (i.e under 100kb), the game took for-ev-er to star when I began to play - a whopping 6 minutes!
This was followed by talk and screens for 3 minutes before I actually got to do anything
I too didn't like the characters popping up on screen when they spoke. Don't know about music, I have it turned off.
I 'played' for 20 mins but eventually got incredibly bored coz it seemed to be sooooooooooo sloooooooooooooow (boring!) Graphics were slightly fuzzy, the whirly spinning wasn't great and although there appears to be a large number of areas to visit, the ones I completed (3) were very short.
Not a buy for me this time.

2 out of 5 IMO.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jun 17, 10 7:28 AM
um... no. I was glad when the demo hour was up. The hidden object scene graphics looked dated, for one thing. FROG fanatics might at least want to demo it though, if you really must have a FROG fix.

The game has some appealing aspects mixed in with a whole bunch of other stuff. I sorta liked the map pieces/runes and the blue color. The artwork for the open book with the armor story was decent enough. The main characters are sorta fun looking.

Creators tried lots of gimmicky things like the plane cockpit that rocks back and forth the whole time you're trying to find the items there. So game developers could maybe use this game as a lesson in why certain things are a bad idea. Maybe there's some good ideas too, if you look hard enough.

ADTech
Herring
Herring
374 Posts

[Post New]by ADTech on Jun 17, 10 8:22 AM
Too much whining, nothng wrong with the game. I found lt fun and relaxing to play; I also liked the overall look of it, I did not notice any problem with bright lights and I suffer from chronic migraine headaches. Not trying to be sarcastic to anyone and enjoy reading other opinions. I appreciate the time and effort others have put in to writing reviews. I recommend trying a free download, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I used a poor choice of words when using " whining ". Bad habit that I am working on. Please excuse me, I wiil choose my words more carefully next time.

vkacademy
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by vkacademy on Jun 17, 10 8:43 AM
I got annoyed with things being called by the wrong name. A car battery (at least that's what it looked like) is called "an accumulator" for example. The character designs were awful compared to the rather nice background images and items. In all, a rather average HOG. Not bad but not particularly great. On the plus side, I liked the map and the occasional mini game.

alilypad
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by alilypad on Jun 17, 10 8:52 AM
for this game. I was most annoyed by the characters popping in and out. I almost always skip dialogue/story and was not happy that I could not skip in this game, but the pop-up dialogue was really annoying.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jun 17, 10 9:19 AM
Took forever to load. Hate the pop-up figures too. It's the only game I've had to turn the sound off - sound effects dreadful and the music just as bad. Didn't last long!!

LadyReah
Herring
Herring
372 Posts

[Post New]by LadyReah on Jun 17, 10 9:28 AM
I played this one about 6 months ago and while I cannot say it is a game to rave about, I did enjoy it. But I also got the game free, so that may have biased me a bit.

Gregory Phoenix is certainly not the best game, but it's not the worst either IMO. Nor is it the longest, shortest, hardest or easiest. It really falls quite solidly in the middle. If you are prone to motion sickness or have trouble with bright lights, then proceed with caution. But I do recommend trying the demo first, and you may decide you like it enough to buy now or later if it becomes a DD. Sometimes the price can alter our opinions a bit.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Jun 17, 10 9:41 AM
Considering the reviews and negatives about this one, I'll skip it. I get migraines and don't need bright lights flashing. I like a longer game with clean graphics. Sorry developers but I'm not even giving it a chance...

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Jun 17, 10 9:46 AM
This game is wildly inaccurate in terms of the way it designates locations and objects. If you know anything about world geography/history than you will be irritated by this game. It shows a game developer who is careless and simply does not care about accuracy in terms of other cultures or even basic literacy. It is very rare that I completely dislike a game-- However, I have to say that I completely disliked this one.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jun 17, 10 9:55 AM
Goes on my maybe list.

I don't normally have a problem with flashing lights,
but these were killers. Had to stop demo after 20 min
to give my eyes a rest. When I went back, learned to close
my eyes when I knew the killer ones were coming.
Other than that and the annoying "pop up and down"
talking, I enjoyed a lot of the actual gameplay. Only
got to second chapter, no skipping of anything, so
length should be good for me. Too many others on
wish list, so this is on maybe for at least a few
months. Maybe it will be a CATCH or DD by then.

[Post New]by WeeHillyWilly on Jun 17, 10 10:03 AM
First I'd like to say that I do not agree with those of you who say it is a game that will give you a headache. I had no problems with any so called bright lights flashing, or fuzzy scenes, or motion sickness.
However, I would say that this game is geared more towards the younger people, and or a new HOG player. Because, for one thing, when you got the cursor on the hidden item, the game would tell you that you have found the item, plus the large writing of the captions just gave me the impression that it is more of a childs game than that of an adult.
It's a no buy for me, not because of the game in itself, but because it is a bit too childish for me.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jun 17, 10 10:34 AM
Good point!

carnick
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by carnick on Jun 17, 10 12:50 PM
I didn't like the characters popping up and down, gave me a headache and it took a long time to reload I stopped playing the demo after only 10 minutes. not a buy for me

Noralg
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Noralg on Jun 17, 10 12:52 PM
Good potential, but not good execution. Hidden objects are junk piles and fuzzy. Games are really good if you know how to play, but if there were any instructions I missed 'em. I enjoyed the variety of hidden objects with some silouettes thrown in.
Would be a keeper if graphics were sharper.

Go to: