bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Cleopatra: A Queen's Destiny

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 18, 10 1:17 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Cleopatra: A Queen's Destiny? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

FeyKina
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Cleopatra: A Queen's Destiny

[Post New]by FeyKina on Jun 18, 10 4:33 PM
This looks like a beautiful, wonderful game, but unfortunately the 360 view style games makes me motion sick , I will have to pass. I would love to see more large file games like Dracula origins, Midnight mysteries and of course Dire grove - But the 360 motion thing , that is my problem not yours. I hope this game does well, wish I could play!

NouniSmile
Koi
Koi
281,317 Posts

[Post New]by NouniSmile on Jun 18, 10 5:14 PM
I didn't know that it is 360 degree. Thanks FeyKina for highlighting this issue becaue I also get dizzy with this type of games

Nouni

bluesinew
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by bluesinew on Jun 18, 10 6:21 PM
FeyKina wrote:This looks like a beautiful, wonderful game, but unfortunately the 360 view style games makes me motion sick , I will have to pass. I would love to see more large file games like Dracula origins, Midnight mysteries and of course Dire grove - But the 360 motion thing , that is my problem not yours. I hope this game does well, wish I could play!

I like adventure games as well ... I played Dracula Origins and loved it! Another great game is Dracula 3: The Path of the Dragon. I don't usually buy adventure games via BFG (no trial) however I took a chance with Drac 3 and didn't regret it. Another good adventure game is "Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches"

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jun 18, 10 7:52 PM
Thank you FeyKina. I have trouble with motion sickness with the 360 games as well. Since there isn't a demo, I'll be passing on this one .

Brandyco
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Brandyco on Jun 18, 10 9:36 PM
Looks like a beautiful game. I can handle some 360 as long as I'm not required to scroll around a lot. Like Sherlock Holmes, it wasn't too bad in 360. I'm waiting to see what the pond says about this one before handing over my game credit.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Jun 19, 10 1:50 PM

I've played this game before under a different title.

This is a traditional point-n-click adventure set in Egypt . You play in first person as Thomas, an apprentice astrologer. You find your girl "Iris" and her father "Akkad" have disappeared. The object of the game is to find out what happened and why and track them down.

The game is in 3D. Graphics are beautiful and in my opinion the best part of the entire game.

Nice ambient sound, lively soundtrack and great use of surround sound for audio effects.
Voice acting fair. They sound quite rushed at times.

Puzzles are mainly inventory based though there are some logic puzzles. All are well integrated into the Egypt of the time. Most of the puzzles are of a medium difficulty. Though often the difficulty lies in finding an essential object.

Solving the puzzles give a cut scene.

Game length is nice and not too short, especially for BF's price . 17+ hours if you take your time as I did.

Mild Spoiler Alert:
Unfortunately there are only three venues, Akkad's garden, Royal library and Alexandria lighthouse. There are a couple of brief visits to Cleopatra's palace, but no significant gaming action takes place there. I wish there had been more.

Greek text instead of hieroglyphics is used throughout the game, which is a nice touch and perfectly accurate for the period in question.

There is a system of choosing astrological sign which tailors the puzzles as easier or harder (good day/ bad day). In practice there is not much difference. Bad day requires a few more steps or pieces to solving a given puzzle.

The game ran without problems on my son's older XP and fine on my Vista.

I would have liked more historical info but I guess you can't have everything.

This is a nice enough game for adventure enthusiasts who are looking for lots of puzzles and long playing time.

Good bang for the buck!

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on Jun 19, 10 1:59 PM
For those fishies concerned with the 360 view -
This game does have the ability to slow down the motion, which helped me considerably. I didn't feel sick at all, although I don't have a problem with all of the 360 games. It's a lot better than Voyage, Nostradamus, or Sherlock Holmes The Awakened, for example. None of that random, swirling up-and-down side-to-side movement either (that really gets to me). Hope this helps.

Edited on 06/19/2010 at 2:05:49 PM PST

warmbear
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by warmbear on Jun 21, 10 5:23 PM
This game was previously released in the US under another name by TAC. I wish that they would not rename previously released games; I have bought the same game more than once because of this.. I was all ready to download this game, when I realized that the screen shots looked a bit too familiar.

Adventure gamers, I think you will enjoy this one.. Also, I get motion sickness as well, and the damping of excessive movement on this game is pretty good, as I recall.

cappy54
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by cappy54 on Jun 22, 10 2:05 PM
Great Game!

When using a walkthrough, make sure it is Big Fish!!!...Game was very enjoyable!!...Yipeee...Big Fish Games ARE BEST!!!

STL531
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by STL531 on Jun 23, 10 2:50 PM
I just finished the game... overall I thought it was a decent LFG and definitely worth the price.

PROS:
- Nice graphics and cut scenes
- Music (Egypt-themed, I guess, and not too overwhelming)
- Interesting, history-related story-line
- Several unique puzzles that were specific to the genre
- (Specific to Big Fish) Great walkthrough for when you get stuck (and you probably will at least once)

CONS:
- Voice acting (some of it was okay, but Iris's whiny voice was awful and the main character's voice just didn't seem to fit with him for some reason); you can click to skip through most of the dialogue if you read faster than they talk, though
- A few puzzles are repeated more than once during the game

Also, compared to other games from these developers (Mysterious Island games, for example), this one seemed shorter and didn't have as many locations to explore. I also think I would have been confused about the game interface if I hadn't played games by these developers before. But again, I still think it was a game worthy of my time and money.

Edited on 06/23/2010 at 2:51:17 PM PST

[Post New]by bakagaijin78 on Jun 25, 10 3:54 AM
warmbear wrote:This game was previously released in the US under another name by TAC. I wish that they would not rename previously released games; I have bought the same game more than once because of this..

Agreed. I looked at the screenshots and noticed it was familiar. I looked at my boxed PC game shelf and there it was, but titeled Cleopatra: Riddle of the Tomb. So buyer beware to those who may have already purchased this game before.

That being said, I did thoroughly enjoy the game when I played it.

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Jun 27, 10 2:36 AM
Great review, Sartasia! Thanks!

kayruth
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by kayruth on Jun 27, 10 8:21 AM
Bought this game and it looks like it would be a great one...but I can't play because of the severe shaking of the game. The minute the mouse moves, the game has double vision! I have bought several new games from you and have had the same disappointment. My computer is quite new and up to date. Can't your tecs make a game that is large file and compatible with new computers?

fahr451
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by fahr451 on Jul 2, 10 2:13 PM
STL531 wrote:I just finished the game... overall I thought it was a decent LFG and definitely worth the price.

Thank you for your review, after all I think I'll buy the game. I played and enjoyed other games like Mysterious island I and II, so I think I should manage the interface.

(BTW... I also purchased the Awakened some time ago. Five minutes after the installation it was in the recycle bin )

[Post New]by Phyllina on Jul 4, 10 10:14 AM
I have severe motion problems also, but have found that on games like this, where you don't have to fight or fly, I can turn the motion to slow and just not move continually. walk, stop, look, stay ( just a second or two) and it makes a difference.
Also don't play for more then 20 minutes at a time.
But a game like this is a real treat as my nerological problem also mean I have to rest for 15 minutes, a lot. so I work, play the game for 15 minutes, go back to the dishes etc. then play. It's great !!!

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jul 6, 10 6:42 AM
kayruth wrote:Bought this game and it looks like it would be a great one...but I can't play because of the severe shaking of the game. The minute the mouse moves, the game has double vision! I have bought several new games from you and have had the same disappointment. My computer is quite new and up to date. Can't your tecs make a game that is large file and compatible with new computers?
Is the game developer for this Kheops studios?

fahr451
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by fahr451 on Jul 9, 10 7:47 AM
Mr_Russ wrote:Is the game developer for this Kheops studios?

It is.

I bought and finished the game, after a couple of looks at the walkthough (I'm not good at hidden object search...)
In my opinion the game is too short, not difficult (puzzles ranges from easy to moderately hard), but graphic is astounding and AFAIK the historical details are all correct. Not much, but maybe it's worth a try

Jobo34
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by Jobo34 on Jul 9, 10 4:55 PM
What is this 360 degree thing? I never heard anyone mention it before. What other games are 360?

geezing
Catfish
Catfish
1,722 Posts

[Post New]by geezing on Jul 10, 10 9:05 AM
bakagaijin78 wrote:
warmbear wrote:This game was previously released in the US under another name by TAC. I wish that they would not rename previously released games; I have bought the same game more than once because of this..

Agreed. I looked at the screenshots and noticed it was familiar. I looked at my boxed PC game shelf and there it was, but titeled Cleopatra: Riddle of the Tomb. So buyer beware to those who may have already purchased this game before.

That being said, I did thoroughly enjoy the game when I played it.

Thank you both for the "beware" comment. I thought I'd bought it @ BF but it wasn't in my list of games. Went through my shelf of games and there it was. Yes, it was a good game.

Edited on 07/10/2010 at 9:08:31 AM PST

Go to: