gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Youda Legend: The Curse of the Amsterdam Diamond - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jun 18, 10 5:10 AM
Very nice DD demo. - Once I found the compass in the first scene, that is. The compass is the gadget you get hints from in the game, so until you find it, you are, in fact, clueless. I seriously was this close to giving up on this game, so I'll risk a spoiler by telling you that what turned out to be the compass, I thought was a lidded ashtray or a smokeless tobacco tin. It's a round metal box with a red black and white design on its lid.

Most of the hidden objects are greatly over-sized, but many are hazy in order to hide them. I was laughing thinking of those who always complain about the hidden items being too small lol. Graphics quality is pretty current.

Aside from the compass in the first scene, I didn't have any other issues with this demo. However... the gameplay animations run in slo-mo. I think it's supposed to do that, but it is a bit off-putting.

As for what I consider to be good features, it's untimed, and there's quite a few diamonds in every scene that you can choose to find and collect. The setting, Amsterdam, I find interesting so far. The story is ominous, but does peak your curiosity. So far it's following clues to uncover a dangerous mystery - but no one's chasing my character so far.

I'm definitely forking over my 3 bucks for this one.

Edited on 07/13/2010 at 7:03:03 AM PST

magmae
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

Re:Youda Legend: The Curse of the Amsterdam Diamond - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by magmae on Jun 18, 10 8:40 AM
Thanks gimmegames for your review. I always demo games before I buy, but I will be gone the rest of the day, and do not have time to demo, play then buy. I have just enough time to buy and leave. When I saw it was only 4 chapters, I was doublely hesitant to buy, but your review pushed me over the edge.
A BIG thank you,

Magmae

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

Re:Youda Legend: The Curse of the Amsterdam Diamond - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jun 18, 10 9:32 AM
Thanks for the great review, gimmiegames.
Agree with all of your comments including
that it's a definite buy for me.

I did find one thing very interesting (at least for me).
I am so conditioned to looking for the the teeny-tiny,
that sometimes the very large items completely
eluded me. You would get a laugh, as I did, at
how long it took me to find that six-foot tall
dog bone.

Noralg
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Noralg on Jun 18, 10 1:07 PM
Contrary to popular opinion, I really enjoyed this game. Hidden objects are large, but blend in so well that it's still a challenge, but not too easy. May be a bit short, but for a Daily Deal that's OK. The Amsterdam scenery is beautiful. One of my favorite places. A definite buy.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jun 18, 10 3:59 PM
I just finished playing the game thru to the end.

There are so many things to like about it, yet I found myself frustrated with the gameplay somewhat.

I always set my monitor settings to maximum for brightness and contrast before playing hidden object games. But even with that, there were objects hidden in dark places at times, that even with the hint circle, I couldn't see it well enough to have identified it myself. There were some other items I had to randomly click inside the hint circle to find. And of course, after about every 3 clicks the cursor runs around in circles for awhile...

The other frustration was some of the mini-games. I guess I'm not used to having to assemble things in a very specific order, for no apparent reason, for one thing. The other is that it's sometimes hard to get the item you're adding to the object to "stick" where it's supposed to. Getting the last danged oar to stick to the rowboat was a pain and then some, and where I was trying to put it the whole time, was where it ended up going.

If not for those sorts of problems and the slow motion gameplay animations, I would say the game is fairly top-notch. As it is, though, I think I paid the right amount for it .

Edited on 06/18/2010 at 4:16:32 PM PST

[Post New]by littlegamefisher on Jun 18, 10 5:41 PM
I have to agree with gimmegames. I really wanted to like this. The graphics were nice, the music haunting, and the atmosphere inviting. But too many objects are severely hidden in dark, dark areas and some are so much the color of their surroundings, it becomes a click-fest. There's no penalty for random clicking - other than a spastic cursor - but after awhile, it's very frustrating. It's hard enough to find 1 "organ card" but 3?

This game has much promise, including the refreshingly large objects, but even at 2.99, it's a stretch. Others appear to disagree but I strongly recommend playing the demo all the way through to see if this is really for you.

12george
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by 12george on Jun 19, 10 11:09 AM
Good golly this game is so annoying.....even for 2.99 i am sorry i bought it...can't get past the ropes..so i say grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i am deleting this one..when you get this frustarted with a game it is not fun so why keep it....

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Jun 19, 10 11:48 PM
I loved this game! I just finished it and thought - wow - finally a game with a good ending. Most lately have been very disappointing. I thought the mini-games were fun and yes, there were a few dark scenes, but that's what HINTS are for.

The game was long - took me a couple of days to finish and it kept my interest throughout. I thought it was a very good game and made me want to look at others in this series. I highly recommend this game.

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Jun 22, 10 3:00 PM
My biggest objection to this game was the mini games - NO SKIPPING! I got stuck with the stupid flowers 4 cents shy in one bucket & 4 cents over in the other and no amount of changing them between the 2 could I get them to even out to the total they were supposed to be. I looked for the skip button as I had spent at least 10 mins on this only to find I only had the option to quit. Since my frustration level was pretty high I just gave up and deleted the game. I play to relax, I don;t need additional frustrations in my life. Even as a DD it is a no buy. Having said that I will agree that the pictures/scenes in this game are beautiful.. So makes me want to go to Amsterdam!

Newfie1035
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Newfie1035 on Jun 24, 10 10:38 AM
I think that this game is rather interesting. As far as dark areas / items , I haven't had any problems so far and I am 75 and I wear glasses

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Jun 29, 10 10:18 AM
Pretty basic hog, with interactive stuff - meaning, you collect the stuff in the scene that you need for the mini puzzle to come. In most scenes the things you have to find are pretty oversized, so no problems there. Junkpile type, items that have nothing to do with the setting are splotched everywhere.

Story started out good, but left many things not answered. Spoiler: I am being followed, but never see anyone threatening me. I found the diamond, still no confrontation. And who murdered the hotel clerk and why? Guess we'll never know...

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Oct 24, 10 9:14 AM
I've been playing for 25 minutes. Seemed like so much longer...I guess it was the "music." Game is annoying. Not a buy for me. Too slow moving and those giant objects! I don't like them teeny, but 8 foot flippers? Come on. There has to be a happy medium somewhere. And, I don't like not being able to leave in the middle of a scene without having to start all over again.

[Post New]by kenedie on Jan 9, 11 5:39 PM
BarbaraFish wrote:I loved this game! I just finished it and thought - wow - finally a game with a good ending. Most lately have been very disappointing. I thought the mini-games were fun and yes, there were a few dark scenes, but that's what HINTS are for.

The game was long - took me a couple of days to finish and it kept my interest throughout. I thought it was a very good game and made me want to look at others in this series. I highly recommend this game.

Go to: