bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Blood Oath

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 19, 10 1:05 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Blood Oath? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Blood Oath

[Post New]by Imberis on Jun 19, 10 1:15 AM
I was really looking forward to this one based on the description in Mudrock's weekly post, but it is disappointing. Even if I hadn't played Puppet Show (which I found to be fantastic) before playing Blood Oath, I would still find this one lacking. I'm debating whether I would call this one absolutely horrible or not, since I can't find any redeeming qualities about it.

First off, the graphics are not great. If the game had an interesting story or some innovative gameplay, I could look past this, but the story just bored me. At one point there is a "wolf" that looks like some sort of mix between a seal and a Chow. For a "spooky" themed game, it sure isn't spooky. There are tiny, tiny objects. To find interactive areas, you have to just move your mouse around until an area lights up red.

The list for the hidden objects comes in the form of shadows. The item is listed and the silhouette is given, then you have to find that object. I'm really not a fan of that kind of gameplay, since the game basically shows you a picture of the exact item you're looking for. The music is so, so irritating. It uses a sort of thumping sound in an attempt to add drama and suspense, but it got on my nerves after about two minutes. I hate to turn off the music because it usually adds to the atmosphere of the game, but this music just had to go off. Additionally, if you click incorrectly, the game makes an obnoxious noise.

In short, I did not like this one at all.

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on Jun 19, 10 1:25 AM
Thanks for the early review! I am so glad I read this before wasting my time downloading it. I HATE the games where all the hidden objects are outlines or every one is piecing something together. They are irritating to say the least. And, as for tiny objects, what could be worse?! Who wants to strain their eyes like that when trying to have fun?!

This is a definite 'no try' for me!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jun 19, 10 1:43 AM
I've played 15 minutes of the demo so far. It seems like a well-made game, for an IHOG (haven't had any long lists of stuff to find so far). I'm not too sure if I like the theme of it, and the music so far is unstructured and not very pleasant. I didn't quit playing out of disgust or frustration or boredom, just my body wants to go back to bed and catch a few more zzzz's for now.

Update:

I just finished playing the demo and was sad when it ended. I do think this is a very well-made game. It's a little different, and that much to me is a good thing, whether you like the differences or not. I like the vampire mansion, which is to say that for the hour, I did not mind moving around in it to find things.

I warmed up to the game some after the first kitchen scene - I chuckled at the wolf's choice of menu.

I found the items to be pretty well hidden, but in plain sight nonetheless. I usually like for there to be more items to find, rather than looking and looking for just a couple things at a time, but I was ok with putting that aside and just going on this particular ride.

I really don't understand folks having an aversion to object silhouettes in the item list, being that there's a description underneath each one.

As for the stuff assembling itself, I had quite enough trouble with object assembly recently in Youda Legend: The Curse of the Amsterdam Diamond, that the instant assembly was, for me, a relief.

This demo is definitely worth trying, in my opinion. I normally wouldn't buy a game that is linear like this - I imagine replaying it is exactly the same as the first time thru - but I found this one appealing enough to consider it.

Question: How long is this game? My impression was that I wasn't very far along at the end of the hour, but that's just an impression...

Edited on 07/13/2010 at 6:57:42 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jun 19, 10 2:06 AM
I like this game - the story is good (I love vampires), graphic is also good, everything is clear to see, not to dark in my opinion, music is okay. I will buy this, its a good game

sylvia99
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by sylvia99 on Jun 19, 10 2:41 AM
I´m just playing the demo and be not sure to buy. It´s no bad game but too easy. I think I´m pampered by more complex games like RTR, Dire Grove, Puppet Show and so on. Personally I´m not interested in vampires but more important is the gameplay. Vampireville was very funny and not that easy. Here you have only to search for the whole things and if you have them they are doing their thing for themselves.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jun 19, 10 2:59 AM
I played the demo hour and bought it right away, want to know how it continues.
A dark theme, but not too dark scenes IMO. Some very interesting twists with building strength and various (vampire) abilities. And I have a living book that helps me, lol (you have to find/build it first), including a map (not for reaching locations, but for orientation).
Good, unobtrusive explanations in the game regarding the gameplay, which is easy, OK - I call it relaxing - but still requires some remembering where I saw what when I need it. Also, the items are not only find-silhouettes, but have descriptions like the word lists; look at the first screenshot of the game download page. Actually I find the silhouettes extremely helpful (for me) to get an idea how something should look like. I also find it helpful to get a sign from the book or the items themselves, when a room is done for the moment, as there is quite some searching around involved.

According to the Walkthrough - thanks Margie B.! - the game has only 4 chapters, and I'm not rushing through, but after the hour, I'm still somewhere in the middle of chapter 1.

If you like Hidden object games and don't object to the vampire theme, I'd definitely recommend to try this one for yourself.

Edited on 06/19/2010 at 3:04:44 AM PST

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Jun 19, 10 3:23 AM
Great review CasualGran !!!

I have not made a decision whether I will be purchasing this game. The graphics and the music were okay. The story was intriguing, I did notice some items were small. However, I did appreciate the fact that the objects were well-hidden. For the fishies that are enjoying this game, Happy Gaming !!!

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jun 19, 10 3:36 AM
_DD_ wrote:I According to the Walkthrough - thanks Margie B.! - the game has only 4 chapters, and I'm not rushing through, but after the hour, I'm still somewhere in the middle of chapter 1.

_DD, I agree this game appears to be on the lengthy side and on this strength I probably will pick up this game.
It appears there is quite a few hours of entertainment to be had here.

If this was another 2-3 hour HOG I would sail right on by..

Edited on 06/19/2010 at 3:37:21 AM PST

alsmith
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by alsmith on Jun 19, 10 4:35 AM
Debating whether to buy- or I was- but looking at pic 1 with the game description makes me worried about quality- surely the solder is actually a soldering iron? And the soldering iron looks more like a stick of solder. The pictures must be chosen to be representative of the game...........

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jun 19, 10 4:42 AM
BossBrat wrote:Thanks for the early review! I am so glad I read this before wasting my time downloading it. I HATE the games where all the hidden objects are outlines or every one is piecing something together. They are irritating to say the least. And, as for tiny objects, what could be worse?! Who wants to strain their eyes like that when trying to have fun?!

This is a definite 'no try' for me!

I hate those sort of games too but I LOVED this one! Intriguing story, beautiful graphics - though I played before puppetshow (thanks, imberis!). Definite buy for me!

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Jun 19, 10 5:39 AM
Review of the Demo. Well, I think this game is one of the better designed games to come along in a while. Be advised it is a dark game theme-wise. I am neutral about the vampire craze (your character is undead). Some items are small in this IHOG, but well, I just did the Paddington game and the items were even small than in this game and I enjoyed it. The scenes are bright and clear, unusual and interesting. The tutorial was actually helpful. The objects are shown in outline form. There are unlimited hints on a dripping blood timer that fills in around 30 seconds. Objects can be found in different areas to complete puzzles. There are feats that need to be acquired to access new areas such as strength. Many objects are well hidden. It is NOT a sift through the clutter game. sound is not intrusive. I will buy this game.

wvsandy
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by wvsandy on Jun 19, 10 6:15 AM
I'm not sure about this game. The story isn't horrible: You wake up in a strange house, a mysterious woman gives you an ankh and tells you to must get to another house before daylight. And then the game holds your hand throughout your adventures. You soon learn you're a new vampire and you must gain strength to help fight the vampire hunters.

Outside of actually finding the items you need, there is really no challenge. You are told what you need to proceed to the next area, your list is in both silhouettes and words, so if you don't know what a screwdriver looks like, never fear! Here's a shadow shape! Once you have obtained your items, they gather together in a pile automatically, and then you just click on them, click on the area where they're needed, and done! No need to figure out how to use them; it's all done for you.

There is some toing and froing between rooms that must be done on occasion to find all the items you needs, but a jewel above the item glows so you don't have to guess when items are available there. You do gain abilities as the game progresses, but since there's no real challenge to gaining them, it doesn't feel like that much of a reward.

I didn't think the graphics were bad, and I probably wouldn't mind playing all the way through on a day when I was feeling lazy, but all-in-all, this is not a game I'm going to spend a credit on.

Edited on 06/19/2010 at 7:01:26 AM PST

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Jun 19, 10 6:16 AM
***possible SPOILER ALERT***

Ok I always try to complete the demo before figuring out if its a buy or not....

plusses
Bright pictures for a vampire theme
Cartoon still graphics
easy navigation-things highlight if you need to interact
you have a list of things to get (non fractured)
extra cards to get extra strengths
kinda new twist on the storyline. nice.

minuses
non listed--its an outline (not the best way to go IMHO)
Music can be irratating (yes you can turn it off)
once you gather everything - it combines for you-I would rather build it myself
or make a mini game or puzzle of the gathered pieces
& why would you mist when you just had a crow bar or an ax?
Map is not interactive

I would also have liked to see a counter in the scene to make sure I have all the cards in the scene for the book puzzle-would make the traveling more interesting between the two locations so far

ALL IN ALL..3/5

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jun 19, 10 6:16 AM
I had 42 minutes left in the demo and I chose to buy...it is a bit different from your usual and, so far, everything you need to find has a purpose. I do agree that that wolf looks more like a chow, lol...but then I had a female wolf that fell in love with my male chow and the pups were absolutely gorgeous. And for those of you who are complaining about the theme...ya gotta know that vampires are big ticket items today. I read the first Twilight book and actually found it kind of juvenile but some people at work loved it, and those that followed. I am not a big movie fan...prefer to read books and play games, but those movies are doing quite well at the box office. As an aside...I enjoyed the first Yard Sale game more than the second, and found Gardenscapes more interesting than the second one...Antique Road Trip...I kept expecting to interact with the dog and it never happened. Which reminds me of Jolly Rover...haven't had time to finish that one yet...but it won't come to BF for quite some time...the devs want to milk the 19.95 price (and I can't blame them) but it isn't in the realm of a CE. That site that review games daily has a good article about it, if you haven't yet seen it. Ok, I have spoken my tired, rambling thoughts and off to bed. Amazing how much more patience I have with games once I have had sleep ...or know that I don't have to get up and go to work. So will continue this one tomorrow when I get off work. Ooh, I love being able to stay up late!

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jun 19, 10 6:23 AM
I agree that the combining of the objects, automatically, was a let down...as for the music, I have learned to lower the sound on it and increase the sound effects. I love sound effects, and if I really do like the music, and it isn't just repetitive, I can go back in options and up it a bit. There have been a few games lately where the music was a real plus...but too tired right now to think of them...but you who play alot know the ones I mean

dianaluna
Herring
Herring
339 Posts

[Post New]by dianaluna on Jun 19, 10 6:26 AM
CasualGran wrote:This is a dark themed IHOG and you search for objects being outlined for you at the bottom of the screen. Very easy to find spots you have to interact with because they flash red when you move your mouse over them. Minigame is a card and board one with which you can earn seconds to make your hints refill faster.Story is about vampires trying to win a fight with human vampire hunters. You play as one of the vampires. You're a new one, and first you will have to increase your strength.
I find this game to be average. with not to great graphics and so-so music, and I don't know if it's a buy for me. Maybe as a DD. But... for other fishes this might be a good game, or even a fantastic game. It's all a matter of taste, expectations and experience.

Happy gaming everyone!

CasualGran, Your last sentence sums up something that is true for most games. There are a few top-notch games and a few truly bad games, but most fall in the middle and it is individual taste, playing experience & comparison to other games. You are right on the mark with your review of this one--not a stand-out--a no-buy for me.

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Jun 19, 10 6:45 AM
I've played about 30 minutes of the demo and will finish later tonight. I am not a fan of silhouette HOGs so doubt I'll buy this one.

Graphics are ok. I did not find items were too small. Mini-game was not at all challenging but there was only one and it's purpose is to gain more time for hints to recharge. Music was annoying and the wrong click sound even more so.

With the exception of one or two items, most were quite easy to find. In the kitchen you click on the wolf and are shown the items to find for "wolf chow" ... since when are a scarf and a hunk of wool considered chow?? If it's going to be labeled "chow", then the items should make sense. What were they thinking? It's dumb things like that that irritate me.

I did like that the items to find which were in the room you were in were indicated by a light above the item ... if dark, not in that room. I would have preferred a bit of storyline before gameplay began.

This is an average game in my opinion.

[Post New]by patecatl_eq on Jun 19, 10 7:14 AM
cesse47 wrote:since when are a scarf and a hunk of wool considered chow??

A red hood, a little pig and sheep's clothing... I think I've heard of wolves eating those somewhere before.

jinocchio49
Flounder
Flounder
2,255 Posts

[Post New]by jinocchio49 on Jun 19, 10 7:30 AM
I started playing this game and got thoroughly immersed in it. The graphics are wonderful and very clear. the method of finding objects attached to different things I find unique, especially the method of showing if the objects are available in the room you are currently in or not. I find this game quite enjoyable (dark theme or not) and swiftly bought it. Please give this game a chance, try it for yourself to see if it's your cuppa tea or not.

Go to: