AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

To friends of Myrtle and the kitten game Silky (L10)

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Feb 14, 18 10:50 PM
I asked Windows to delay the updates until 21/02. Unfortunately when I had to exit because MC would not open properly and task manager never works for that (everything comes up in red) I hit the windows key to restart and the rotten updates started.

Restarted and up came personalising your desk top for, what I assume (silly me, as you know what to assume means and it did) the cloud, I got the message internet explorer is not responding, the screen went blank and I had to press the off button, disconnect from the power, disconnect the power cord from the computer and then reconnect etc. The same message came up again. Disconnected everything, put it into the too hard basket for now as I was in meetings all day and just don't have the energy to deal with the computer and a possible call to microsoft to sort the problem.

I hate Windows 10 and do not upload anything to the cloud. Will let you know when Myrtle and the kitten game are back running.

susiewastaken
Salmon
Salmon
2,847 Posts

Re:To friends of Myrtle and the kitten game Silky (L10)

[Post New]by susiewastaken on Feb 14, 18 11:38 PM
I panic and delay most updates, but the latest one is really simple.

(and I don't think it has anything to do with a cloud)

Internet Explorer? Is that really what you meant to type? I thought Microsoft stopped supporting that a while ago.

I have really come to like Edge; thought I never would, but it is fine.

Hang in there.

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Feb 15, 18 4:40 PM
Hi Susie,

It definitely said internet explorer, which I have not used for around 8 years, I use google chrome on the laptops, and Edge as default on the desktop.

I disconnected everything from all points north and south, gave the machine overnight to get over its fit of sulk, went and sulked myself and this morning reconnected everything, turned it on, it grumbled a bit and then after a while settled down and is behaving like a good machine should.

Silky and Myrtle are back in business

Sharp_Eye574363
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,845 Posts

[Post New]by Sharp_Eye574363 on Feb 15, 18 7:01 PM
Okay, here's me (not tech savvy at all) asking for clarification on something. I thought if you use the Edge, you're automatically engaging the cloud. Is this not true then? I've avoided it like the plague because of that so I still use Internet Explorer, even though I'm on Windows 10.

Go to: