TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

Differences Between Unfortunate Events and Inspector Parker

[Post New]by TnTexas on Jun 21, 10 2:54 PM
Both games are made by Oberon Media, which explains why they're almost identical There are a few differences though, and I thought that some might find a description of those differences helpful. Let's start with a brief description of what is available with each game.

Inspector Parker: The opening screen has 6 main buttons
- Tutorial --> walks you through the basic game play
- Play Career --> game mode that moves you from the easiest level to the hardest; in other words, you play them all. If you choose this one, you're given the options of choosing easy, medium or deadly modes as well as whether you'll be timed or not
- Choose a Level --> game mode that gives you a description of each level and allows you to choose which one you want to play. If you choose this one, you're given the options of choosing easy, medium or deadly modes as well as whether or not you'll be timed.
- Continue Game --> allows you to pick up your previous game where you left off
- Options and Extras --> contains high scores, game statistics, a gallery of character and room descriptions, and the credits
- Exit

A Series of Unfortunate Events: The opening screen also has 6 main buttons
- Deduction Junction - game mode where you're given several items per room and you must read clues to decide which item should remain in each room
- Swap Monster - game mode where you're given one item per room and you must swap the items around to match the clues you're given
- How to Play - contains a tutorial for each game
- Options - contains volume control and access to the credits
- Story Gallery - contains the background story for the game as well as descriptions of the characters
- Quit

Edited on 06/21/2010 at 2:57:22 PM PST

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

Re:Differences Between Unfortunate Events and Inspector Parker

[Post New]by TnTexas on Jun 21, 10 2:55 PM
Things in Common:
- graphics - they are identical in style, although I think Inspector Parker has a slightly warmer/brighter palette
- gameplay - the main games are laid out and played the exact same way. On the left hand side of the screen, you're given rooms with a varying number of objects/people in them. On the right hand side of the screen, you're given a set of clues. You use the clues to help you decide which object or person belongs in the room. The number of rooms, objects, and people depend on which level you're currently playing. If you play all of the levels, you'll start with 6 rooms that have one object or perso in them and end with 36 rooms that have one object and one person. If you right-click on the clue, it will highlight the involved pictures on the left hand side of the screen.

Differences:
- the biggest difference is that Unfortunate Events offers the swapping game (which it says is meant for younger children) and Inspector Parker only offers the deduction game
- Unfortunate Events does not offer a timed version. It has a timer, but the timer counts up rather than down so there is no beat-the-clock-aspect to it. The timer in Inspector Parker does have the option of trying to beat-the-clock.

My Overall Impression of Both Games: Since they are practically identical, it's pretty hard to choose between them. But if I had to choose one over the other, I think I'd choose Inspector Parker. Its colors are slightly more inviting, and its games are worked into a storyline better than the ones in Unfortunate Events are. There is a background story to the games in Unfortunate Events, but you only find out about it if you go to the Story Gallery. If you don't do that, the games are isolated and don't really mean much. On the other hand, Inspector Parker briefly introduces you to the events immediately and briefly talks to you between each game so the games feel like they're connected and not just random happenings.

Edited on 06/21/2010 at 5:17:33 PM PST

Go to: