bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Ancient Adventures - Gift of Zeus

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 22, 10 12:16 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Ancient Adventures - Gift of Zeus? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

lj_brit
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Ancient Adventures - Gift of Zeus

[Post New]by lj_brit on Jun 22, 10 12:51 AM
I beta tested this game quite some time ago. I really enjoyed it, although it won't be everyone's cup of tea. I am pleased to report that it played with no snags or glitches, hopefully everyone that wants to will be able to at least try it.

Down loading now, I will still try before I buy. Sorry not a true revue here, but it really was a long time since the test, in fact I think it was before Salem Witches.

I did the early beta test on Salem Witches and it did have a lot of technical problems, alas, for me it still does, I can't even get it to open now .

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jun 22, 10 1:12 AM
I have enjoyed this game so far, for the most part. The graphics are in a cartoon style with bright colors. Some of the items are small, though. Really, really small. There are some interactive sections, but they're pretty easy to figure out. You can skip cut-scenes if you'd like. Similarly, there is a skip option for mini-games. The mini-games have been fairly easy, too. The music, sadly, is irritating because it's the same thing on a loop. However, the background noises (birds chirping, frogs croaking) in some scenes are quite nice.

You can collect pink gems throughout the game, and when you get enough, you get special bonuses like powerups.

The game is "full screen," but really it's not for me. I have a 20" widescreen monitor, and the game screen has a black border all around it when in "full screen" mode. It's also a little bit twitchy. The response time when you click on an object isn't necessarily slow, it just takes more than the usual HOG to register. I turned off the custom cursor, too. Every time I finish a mini-game, the game feels like it hangs just for a split second, and gives me that feeling like it wants to crash.

This game reminds me a lot of another one. I think maybe Samantha Swift? It's a fun game, but looking at the walkthrough it seems kind of short. There are a lot of chapters, but I went through some of them pretty quickly, as some chapters only have three scenes to go through. I'm kind of on the fence about whether to buy this or not.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jun 22, 10 1:16 AM
I bought this game only because the gorgeous graphics, and quite (or not) easy find of the objects.

Very unhelpful hint system, especially when you have to interact. Instead of the usual "interacting wheels", you get a "finger point". Thus, if I don't know what to do with some interacting object, I have to hover with it across all the screen, which is very annoying. Hints don't help here.

Still, as the game is of high quality, I can "swim" somehow in the pond...

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Jun 22, 10 4:41 AM
IMBERIS - where did you see a walkthru? I was looking for one to see how long this game is.

What i've seen so far, i enjoyed. The cartoonish items are a nice change from the usual dark scenes we get and i'm already tired of vampires.

Music didn't bother me. It was not intrusive and i barely noticed it. I'll probably buy this one. My hubby will appreciate that it was mostly a straight hog.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jun 22, 10 4:42 AM
Imberis has done quite a good review so I will just add my personal opinion.

There are actually 100 pink gems to find altogether and they reveal magic jewellery.

I wasn't too keen on the Simon says minigame but I got through it, I preferred the one whereby you add different items to a dish until you are left with a single colour. Oh and having finished the fit the shapes one in I got dumped back at the Main Menu so that could be a glitch but as soon as I clicked on play again it took me back to where I had left off so it was only a very minor inconvenience unlike the subject of the next paragraph.

Apart from the music which did get to me after a while I had to prop a small booklet against the left hand corner of the screen so that I could no longer see Maia. She is so darn annoying I want to slap her face and make her wake her up completely because she yawns every 6 / 7 seconds GRRRR... and it is completely distracting and totally unnecessary.

Hmmm ... I wonder if Hermes is old enough to manage without his mother .

Will I buy it? I am not sure, I will play a bit more after doing some housework and decide then.

C

ETA

Well I bought it and have finished it, I did have to have the bottom corner of my screen blanked out permanently while playing so that I couldn't see Maia's face but I quite enjoyed the game in the end.

It is the sort the sort of game that you can just do a couple of scenes and then go and do other things like housework (wash my mouth out with soap) and then come back to as and when you feel like doing a bit more. When making the necklace if you think that a piece should go in a certain position and it doesn't "take" you are not putting it in the right place . I did manage to collect all 100 pink gems .

I would like to give a to the artists. I like your style.

Edited on 07/02/2010 at 12:08:32 AM PST

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Jun 22, 10 4:47 AM
Found the walkthrough

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/ancient-adventures-gift-of-zeus-walkthrough#4

we just don't have a link yet in forum.

I see i got through 4 of 15 chapters, so this is definitely a buy for me.

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Jun 22, 10 4:50 AM
Cherbtoo agree with you on the yawning. Sheesh if she's bored, let her help.

mmemubon
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by mmemubon on Jun 22, 10 5:47 AM
So much junks and boring game. May be to those who has plenty of time to kill.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Jun 22, 10 5:51 AM
LOVE your comments CHER as usual!

I am going to demo it
Yes, the WALKTHRU is UP!

I was wondering about the PINK gems, for the instructions says IF you SKIP a puzzle you loose a gem. For I HATE the match the colors puzzles!

I see its a lot of play, so the game for me, ( if the items are small and play all puzzles ) will be a 3hr game.

I seen that the music is BORING. i LOVE some games that are the cartoon style, must be the little girl in me

PEN

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Jun 22, 10 6:42 AM
I demoed this game and it is a buy for. I read everything, took my time and used only one hint so far and I was beginning the fourth chapter when my time was up. It is a good IHOG and if you take your time I believe you will enjoy it. My opinion only.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jun 22, 10 6:48 AM
I played for 35 minutes or so and I quit and deleted because I'm just not that into HOGs. I'm more of an Adventure gamer. I guess I'll wait for one of those to come out.

redrosesdz
Catfish
Catfish
1,691 Posts

[Post New]by redrosesdz on Jun 22, 10 6:51 AM
This is cartoon style, like those before me have said. However, what I really appreciate is that that artist is quite good! Sometimes in cartoon style HOGs you can't figure out what an item is, even when the hint is pointing right at it. In this game the objects were all identifiable!

I enjoyed the wide variety of types of searching and mini-games, even though the mini-games were very easy. You get lists, shapes, spot the difference, interactive, etc. for searching. Also, it sometimes takes you back to a scene more than once, but some of the objects are in a different location and you're not looking for the same things as previous times to the scene.

According to the walkthru I didn't get very far, so the length looks good. Then again, I wasn't using hints and was reading the storyline.

I know we're all spoiled by the big adventure HOGs, but as far as straight HOGs (with a little bit of interaction) go, this is one of the better ones, IMO.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 22, 10 8:06 AM
Well after grumbling on the tech thread first about how in "full screen" this looked like a postcard size on my widescreen W7 laptop I was so disappointed because I kinda liked something about it. I had to put setting on 800x600, geez how retro, Then it was almost full screen but the bottom of the items list was cut off. A hassle grabbing the top of the screen each time to pull the picture up to read, then remember the items, release mouse blah blah.

I decided to give it another shot on my older pc XP, 15" normal shaped panel monitor and WOW! Clear, colorful funstuff like the old days. Well, after a night with the Salem Witches with Puritan colors, brown, grey, tan, I really needed to suck on some color for a change. I keep forgetting being of the era they didn't have much in dyes or money to spruce up, maybe sinful?

Meanwhile back to Zeus et all. Reminds me of Samantha Swift, could be the same artist or of the same school. Recognizable objects at least altho far more clutter. Wouldn't say junkpile, pretty spread out to find things. Enough objects to figure lots of replay value. Sure enough, the items were different and in different places when playing demo second time. I loved the Sam games, so kinda nostalgic for another after dark heavy bloody stuff. For those who don't like hand holding sparklies, be happy. You have to grab an inventory item and hover all over to find where to use it, cursor turns into a hand. Moderate challenges, and inventory items may not be used in same scene. Looks like more potion makings for those who find that distasteful, but not dark black magic here, I'd say white magic because we're trying to accomplish good things from the tasks. Kinda Greek mythology lit mixed with fairy tale fantasy stuff, pretty harmless (so far)

Music is always monotonous for me as I spend so much time on scenes I get the loop de loop so muted it and just had environment sounds, nice. Puzzles were doable taking my time. I liked the melodic color Simon Says, easy for me with a good ear for playing piano by ear, I can remember the tones, not just memorize colors, hard with bad short term memory for me.Easy Mahjong type puzzle, blocks jigsaw, all relaxing. Then it takes you back to Menu, Resume Play to go back to the hog parts. I only got up to chapter 3 in the hour, so guess I'll spend my June credit on it. Needed 3 games for my card, now just hoping for 2 DDS I don't have, or maybe spring for the Crop Circles. These strike my mood.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jun 22, 10 8:17 AM
I quit playing the demo 2 minutes before my time was up anyway.

Scenes are drawn - a bit cartoonish, but probably excellent for those who need clear objects. That doesn't make the objects *too* easy to find - I did occassionally use the hint button. For the demo hour, the hints were adequate for me - I didn't get stuck anywhere.

You are supposed to help Greco-Roman goddesses and a young god find and retrieve a stolen magical pearl necklace. And of course the world will go to hell in a hand basket if you fail. This theme was a big yawn to me. The music was nice on the surface of it, but had this sense of being interminable, and was trying to drive me mad.

For me, this will make a very nice DD someday . For those who have trouble with dark and blurry objects, this game may be a good one for them.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 22, 10 8:34 AM
PS just 2 things hung me up, maybe just tired by 5am. When you click this pouch to bring up the inventory you have, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get the items list back. Puzzled again. I guess other games you click the list again or there are tabs. I knew I had more items to find and clicked everywhere on that thing, even the Map, Encyclopedia, and couldn't get the objects list back. Thought maybe a glitch so went to Menu, Resume, Nada. Finally clicked on the inventory pouch again and the objects list reappeared. Probably was not paying attention on the tutorial or forgot if mentioned.

The other thing confusing is there were items in inventory that I had not seen before or found (again, is it my poor memory? don't answer !! LOL) Like some pretty flowers, other stuff just there. I spend a lot of time just learning new mechanics expecting all games to play the same rules. At least the puzzles were my speed, usually that's my hangup and I skip a lot. Hope they don't get more complex later, but so far player friendly, I didn't need help to figure how to play. Nice variety. Play a few of these ihogs and I'll be ready for more challenges I've been hiding from awhile, too many unfinished games. Salem Witches is a great game but so dreary compared to these Greek characters and cartoons. For me a 4 out of 5 first impressions only.

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on Jun 22, 10 9:12 AM
I love Mythology, yet somehow This was not really my cup of tea. I like dthe graphic design as a cartoon, but as I got the feeling I had trouble focusing my sight. It also seemed everything was very crowded, although I did appreciate than when you return to a location the items have changed positions.
The hints, as someone mentioned are horribly slow (and in one screen I pressed it and the bells chimed but nothing was surrounded by the sparkling circle). Also had some trouble with minigames, as for example in follow the pattern the thing went wrong before I was able to press the last note on several occations for no reason. Difficulty of minigames as far as I got, medium.

Unfortunately what I enjoye dthe most of the game was the Encyclopedia entries. So it is not a buy for me.

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Jun 22, 10 9:31 AM
cherbtoo wrote: having finished the fit the shapes one in I got dumped back at the Main Menu so that could be a glitch but as soon as I clicked on play again it took me back to where I had left off so it was only a very minor inconvenience unlike the subject of the next paragraph.

This happened to me several times. Very odd.

I had to prop a small booklet against the left hand corner of the screen so that I could no longer see Maia. She is so darn annoying I want to slap her face and make her wake her up completely because she yawns every 6 / 7 seconds GRRRR... and it is completely distracting and totally unnecessary.

Yes! I got very annoyed about this last night and thought perhaps I was just in a mood or tired or whatever, and decided to give it another shot today.

Nope, she really is completely annoying. Fake white toothed smile... Totally useless and honestly... I just want to slap her! I know this must say something about me but I am just gonna let that go LOL

High pitched music not pleasant either.

Credit where credit is due... Nice graphics

slinkysmom
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by slinkysmom on Jun 22, 10 12:29 PM
cherbtoo
I totally agree with your review and ty.
I am so glad I am not the only one who found the yawning dame annoying.
By the second scene I was ready to slap her across the back of her head and say " Snap out of It"
It is a buy for me too other than that minor annoyance.!

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Jun 22, 10 12:51 PM
Might buy this if it was on sale, but it's nothing I love. It's too simplistic.

Go to: