autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

Reviews - Magic Match

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Jun 23, 10 4:10 AM
It has a cute premise....but Giggles your magical imp looks like a wookie. Really it does....I expected Darth Vader any minute to come and shoot it. Kinda hoped too. I'll tell you why. First off the intro to the game starts off with a magical song....with someone singing...Darth Vader where are you? I played fifteen minutes and whatever secrets this game has it can keep. Even the game designer's thought Giggles was annoying...after the first game a screen pops-up and you are given the option to turn off your imp's voice (and the option was already in the options page...). The music is twittery. Kinda saccharine sounding. I would play it without it. The game itself has a timer. (Sorry but I didn't see if you could turn off the timer but I do not recall being given the option.) I missed the story, so I am not quite sure...( I was listening to the song unfurl....). Your collecting elements with your match three skills. And when you collect all the element you need the level ends.
The images are pretty, but not enough to make this a visual stunner. Overall the mute button will be heavily used ( I think, my opinion for the little value it has) but I lost interest rapidly in the game and will be deleting it forthwith.

Edited on 06/23/2010 at 4:51:39 AM PST

ToonaCat
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

Re:Reviews - Magic Match

[Post New]by ToonaCat on Jun 23, 10 5:05 AM
Oh I am just a sucker for this game! I demoed it long ago, but my computer wasn't up to it for long back then. I actually enjoy giggles, squeaky voice and all, and his silly company in the game. It's not too hard for me, even though it has a timer, and the challenges and power-ups change enough for my interest. I even like the cheesy songs (I used to teach elementary school). Overall I can see why it's not for everyone, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. A DD buy for me!

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Jun 23, 10 5:18 AM
Glad you like it. Do not have to be embarassed for liking. Lot of games I like others do not! Enjoy!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jun 23, 10 8:50 AM
When I downloaded this game, I had 0 time free trial. So I went ahead and bought it. I figgered I've demo-ed it so many times since it was released, by now I owe *somebody* 3 bucks...

Update: Played quite a bit today and made it completely thru the story once. The second time thru has a twist to the gameplay, so that's cool. The songs crack me up - I like that. I'm sure I got my 3 bucks worth even just today, so I'm pretty happy with my purchase of it at that price.

Edited on 06/24/2010 at 12:04:54 AM PST

beckx020
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by beckx020 on Jun 23, 10 11:07 AM
If this game had an untimed mode (no blue tube on the right) I would have bought it. But I know it will get harder to get the matches needed. I like to relax and play.

But it was fun in the demo with the different matches you needed and spells as power-ups. If you are quick for when it gets harder, you'll like this game.

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Jun 23, 10 1:02 PM
Too many really good Match3 games out there to get this one. Not challenging enough and I find Giggles just irritating.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jun 23, 10 1:53 PM
If you'd like a game with this type of gameplay but without the timer, you should try Age of Emerald. That one is set up similar to Cradle of Rome where the you build a city with the resources you got in the gameplay part.

Edited on 06/23/2010 at 1:59:11 PM PST

donnamil
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by donnamil on Jul 3, 10 2:23 PM
I guess this is a love it or hate it game. I had bought it from a different site that discontinued it, my computer crashed and I lost it, but joined BF just because I could get it again. I think this is one of my all time favorite games because it is just challenging enough to hold my interest without raising my blood pressure. And, okay I'm a sap, but I wave to Giggles at the start of each round, but I do mute him.

donnamil
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by donnamil on Jul 3, 10 2:26 PM
One other thing, if you run out of time, you get to duel the computer for more and that's a fun addition, although I could do without the maze bonus. I'm not at all fond of timed games, but this one works out just fine.

barregar
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,249 Posts

[Post New]by barregar on Jul 3, 10 3:01 PM
If you like Magic Match, you have to try Magic Match Adventures. I don't know if it is classified as a sequel to Magic Match but it is a lot of fun too.
I have both games and finished them both. I prefer Magic Match Adventures.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Aug 12, 10 3:04 PM
It was OK for $2.99. Wish it was untimed. The giggles are annoying, but can be turned off. It was just OK.

Go to: