Trolden
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

I had forgotten..

[Post New]by Trolden on Feb 19, 18 11:20 AM
Coming back to the game after couple of years break and starting over. Having fun so far (missing all my pets and avatars though). I have completely forgotten how expensive it is to progress and unlock new areas. The only thing i can think off is doing rounds and dailies without questing. Maybe someone has more tips?

Edit: trying to get as far as I can before spring event. Will be easier to complete with more areas open.

Edited on 02/19/2018 at 11:56:10 AM PST

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

Re:I had forgotten..

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Feb 19, 18 12:22 PM
You don't say what level you have achieved....... so.....

1. The first 20 levels have been DRASTICALLY changed so that the costs are much less, fewer quest, and you get more from completing the first few levels -- 100 coins and 10 diamonds for Levels 2, 3, 4, and 5. Cost to open Stone Bowl reduced from 3500 to 1800; Rune Altar reduced from 3600 to 2000, and there are others.

2. Puzzle feature is unlocked at Level 11 and the Private Room is available at Level 13. You can earn a lot of diamonds from the puzzles; Be sure to unlock your Spring Room so you can enter the Spring Terrace of friends' rooms ..... also, invite several friends.

3. I would concentrate on getting as many coins as possible between now and the Spring Event because the Spring pets have historically been some of the most generous gold chest pets.....I would not worry about trying to get some of the original pets for now....but DO try to get some of the eggs .... some can be quite valuable for selling if needed for coin advancement.

4. You can rely on pets (pet chests now give HOS items) and puzzles for items, BUT do not rely on them exclusively...... you will find yourself very lacking in stamps for crafting items you really need.

5. Some of the items to craft will cost less to craft than they sell for..... you can try to craft for profit, but AGAIN .... that can take away needed stamps for crafting to advance.

6. Actually, if you don't mind getting diverted during the character quests ..... now is the best time to also work on Daily Quests (if those achievements are included in our goals). ..... the Daily Quests can help you with getting coins and pet medallions, plus the airship wheels needed to send them are much more reasonable. Just remember that the find button now works for the DQs now.....which means, if Anabel is sending you to craft some item that employs the Sun Amber (from the Stone Gargoyle) and the Daily Quest wants you to go to the Astral Lamp --- you may get the Rune Stone from the Broken Carriage instead of the Winged Amulet.

I used to get very annoyed with that (getting the wrong item), so I just tabled the DQs for much later.......if I were starting now on a game that I wanted to get all the achievements, I would activate the Daily Quests and work on them at the same time.

Leveling up would go a bit slower, but in the long run, I would have more coins and ZZ inventory items for the quests.

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Feb 19, 18 12:30 PM
There are now many bonus features that can help you get some items..... but, you still need to discipline yourself and do the rounds, do the rounds, do the rounds ..... for instance.....if you are being sent to the Bow Figurine and need ALL of the items, that means 4 visits to the Fairy Sculpture/Elfish Bas-Relief (HOS changes at Level 27) to get the 2 Seed of Life and 2 Bear's Fury......

IF you do 4 complete rounds, to get the 4 items --- yes, it will take you longer, but you will also have gathered many coins, stamps, pet food and airship items along the way.

IF you rely on the puzzles and pets to get those 4 items -- you will have cheated yourself out of the coins, stamps, pet food, and airship items ..... AND you will have used valuable pet food to get the 3 duplicate items (including the second Banner of Loyalty) that you cannot get from a round of puzzles.

Sooooo..... a good strategy it to use the new features to your advantage while still doing the rounds.

Then.....DURING the Spring Event .... concentrate on going into as many Spring Terraces as you can (over, and over, and over til you think you will become sick of that HOS ..... then continue going into it over and over again........set aside the Character Quests for that time.......concentrate on getting Spring Pets .......and you will be blown away by what you will have gathered in coins, stamps, pet food, and airship items during that time........alas, it goes away all too soon, but the bounty is magnificent!

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Feb 19, 18 12:35 PM
Oh, and bookmark the NEW Strategy Guide .....

1. It will explain some of the new features that have been added to the game in your absence, as well as when each becomes available.

2. The character quests for leveling up are ALL listed starting on page 3....and at the end of each level will be a cost for that level and the number of stamps needed (if you had to craft every item as well as open everything).....it can help you with planning your strategy for when it would be a good time to use an Amulet. (I don't recommend using an Amulet to try to advance through an area where you are opening a lot of HOSs and ZZs or new areas.......Amulet would just get you there sooner, but you would have few or no coins to proceed.)

NEW Strategy Guide is in the Helpful Links for Midnight Castle ..... or you can copy and paste the following in your browser to go there directly:

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/891090.page

But, a lot has been added to that Helpful Links page ..... lots of info posted by other players to help others to plan their best strategy.

Good luck...... and welcome back to the best FTP game out there!

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Feb 19, 18 9:07 PM
Follow Anelliegram's tips and you will be in front.

On my latest game (that qualified me for the special room) I am playing all the HOS as slowly as possible so that they do not level up to quickly. I am also doing all the Daily Quests that I can manage, 3 part and 5 part, I have passed on the 10 part quests for the time being and will do what Trina quests fit in with my daily program.

You will be surprised how the achievements mount up and it is much easier to do night mode if you only have to find 12 items, rather than 22.

I am trying to be the tortoise this time, slow and steady wins the race. I try not to let my coin go below 2,000 and as soon as I have a puzzle available (one so far) I play it for the coin and diamonds. So far 2/2 with the diamonds.

Trolden
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by Trolden on Feb 20, 18 1:43 AM
I left back in the day when they removed the guaranteed item drop from HoS. Was up somewhere on level 55 or something

I am sitting on lvl 19 now and 20000 gold, I also remembered that the event pets are much nicer on giving gold chests (I still had the guide on tells and where the highest chance of gold chests are).

You all gave some very useful advice thanks you so much for that. I will start saving up more gold, proceed with dailies and slowly advance in the game. I am in the cave area with the dead pirate now.

I remember this was a very friendly forum I can see it still is - thanks again!

playingthegame
Stingray
Stingray
4,895 Posts

[Post New]by playingthegame on Feb 20, 18 2:11 AM
I never cease to be amazed at the comprehensiveness and lucidity of Anelliegram's posts and this one is superb as an informal introduction to the game and the Forum
Once more I doff my hat to the current master (sorry 'mistress') of the Castle!

Welcome back to the game in all its new complexities

dandydog
Clownfish
Clownfish
803 Posts

[Post New]by dandydog on Feb 20, 18 4:16 AM
Yes indeed PTG. Our Friend AEGram and your Special Godmother... ...is indeed an Awesome "Mistress of the Castle" and Dear Helper too...

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Feb 20, 18 9:45 AM
Thanks

cindykat325
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by cindykat325 on Feb 20, 18 10:02 AM
Annelligram's responses never cease to amaze me - I can't remember what I had for breakfast, never mind all that info!!!

I'm relatively new to the MC world, less than a year, but I do have 1 comment:
AnnaDownes01 said it's easier to do Night Mode before you max out the HOS. That is so true but... Please be aware that Night Mode seem to bother folks so there is switch in the Options menu where you can turn it off if you want. I turned mine off as the contrast on my screen really doesn't like dark things. I have not noticed that it affected anything in the game by choosing to do so.

If you are on PC and need friends, PM me - happy to help

cindykat325, human avatar for Kattlyn Raven

Go to: