bfgFlounder
9,572 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for A Gypsy's Tale: The Tower of Secrets

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 25, 10 12:42 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of A Gypsy's Tale: The Tower of Secrets? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for A Gypsy's Tale: The Tower of Secrets

[Post New]by happygrams18 on Jun 25, 10 1:35 AM
Just did the demo and I really liked the game. First of all, I loved the graphics or artwork. The forest is beautiful, the cottages, etc.

I noticed right off that there was not a lot of music but sound effects like birds chirping/singing, the sound of the Gnome chopping wood, water from a fountain. Later came the music and it was beautiful.

I loved the cursor...charming and different. I thought the puzzles were unique but not hard.

You have a map and all you do is click on to where you have been or where you want to go. This was great because sometimes you had to go back to a former place to retrieve something or to finish something in that area. Instead of trying to find your way back all you have to do is click on the map, find the cottage or whatever area you remember seeing a key or a towel, etc.

At the top of the screen it will tell you how many crystals you have to collect but that is not hard. What may be difficult for us older ones is finding the smaller things. I had to use the hint button a few times but that is what it is there for. As far as the hint button goes it loads up quickly.

I also noticed that at the beginning of the game that it helps you get started with pointers, clues, etc. Once you catch on it goes smoother.

Nice job Big Fish...please pass it on to the developers. I will be buying this game. It is charming.

This game makes a very happy happygrams
four stars for now...will give it five when I finish. Stay tuned.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,410 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Jun 25, 10 2:36 AM
I just finished the demo of “A Gypsy's Tale: The Tower of Secrets”. The hour went rather quickly and I did enjoy the game. I find the graphics are not as clear as I think they should be and somewhat on the dark side, but I did not find most objects that hard to find. Have to admit I used a couple of hints along the way. The hints refresh in a very timely manner and there does not seem to be a penalty for over clicking. Or at least I did not get one. I thought this was a straight hidden object game but it is a bucket ****. I think that is what they call it when you click on something and a circle opens up and you have to find objects that are needed to complete that circle. The cursor can be changed to a system cursor which is a good thing in my book. I did not even try the game cursor. The music was very nice, but I did have it turned down low as I always do.

This is a buy for me

Thank BF for another nice game and for the variety you give us so we all find the genres we like.

Pat

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,410 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Jun 25, 10 2:43 AM
What a lovely review happygrams18. I agree with you on the background sound effects. I love any game where you hear the birds chirping, the water running over the rocks, etc .

Have you tried Settlement: Colossus. If I remember rightly you get the same nice sounds in it.

Pat

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Jun 25, 10 3:48 AM
Played the demo and enjoyed it. I agree with all the favorable comments made and will be buying this game.

[Post New]by glitterbutterfly on Jun 25, 10 4:09 AM
I love this. It looks great and has just the right level of difficulty for me - not everything's right in front of my face and I'm happy to search about a bit.. I was wandering round aimlessly trying to open the forest door when my hour ran out, but it's such a lovely game I don't mind getting a bit stuck and having a closer look at the different areas. I love that it tells you when you've collected all the crystals and the number of tasks at each location. Judging by my progress so far there's still a lot to do so I'm more than happy to buy it.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Jun 25, 10 4:56 AM
I really really like this game!!! Recently in a post I complained about games that didn't explain or make it clear about the objectives of puzzles/mini-games. This game has a hint button and a help button. The hint button shows the location or you can click on the help button for a text message explaining the goal. I like the art work,the fragment style of HOG. (I know there is a name for it,I think it's FROG?) NO vocal dialogue,which I really don't care for and less music and more wildlife sounds.
If anyone knows of games similar in style please send me a message with the names.
GREAT GAME!!
Dr.good

Izziewizz
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Izziewizz on Jun 25, 10 5:00 AM
When someone finishes it, could you tell me roughly how long it takes? I notice it's not a big file size.

I'm having to be a bit careful with the dosh and very selective as to what I buy.

I'll give the trial a go, though, on the basis of what you've all posted here.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Jun 25, 10 5:28 AM
Itsey , Bitsey , , teeny,, tiny objects , Lovely artwork , nice atmosphere ,sound effects
good , had my face pressed up to the screen to find everything , need a magnifying glass for this one !!!! But all & all not bad ,,just too tiny ...

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,260 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jun 25, 10 5:56 AM
I like the story, I like the gameplay. It looks pretty and is not difficult. The bad newas is that is has dark, fuzzy graphics combined with microscopic objects so, sadly, I must decline. This is one I would have enjoyed if only I could see things.

redrosesdz
Catfish
Catfish
1,685 Posts

[Post New]by redrosesdz on Jun 25, 10 7:10 AM
Izziewizz wrote:When someone finishes it, could you tell me roughly how long it takes? I notice it's not a big file size.

I'm having to be a bit careful with the dosh and very selective as to what I buy.

I didn't finish the game, but I did look at the walk through after my hour was up. I made it 1/2 through chapter 5 out of 10 chapters. So, for me it would be roughly 2 hours to play. However, I think it really depends on what types of games you've played in the past. It's really easy for an adventure game, but those that just play HOGs may find it more challenging.

I'm an average adventure game player. I'd imagine that a really good one could finish this game in under 2 hours. I'm also guessing that the game would be about 3 hours for someone that has never played an adventure game.

I hope my rough estimates helps you!

[Post New]by glitterbutterfly on Jun 25, 10 7:53 AM
Izziewizz wrote:When someone finishes it, could you tell me roughly how long it takes? I notice it's not a big file size.

I'm not even nearly finished and I've had two and a half hours of play already. I do tend to be a bit dense at these kinds of games so it's probably not representative but I'm getting a lot of gameplay out of it. Hope this helps.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,596 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Jun 25, 10 8:19 AM
I have found that the file size does NOT mean the game is short.

I have played a few i thought that just because it stated a smaller figure that the games was NOT SHORT.

You have to take in a count of the action, graphics, voices, music, sound...so on>>

its like the DVD that you buy to watch movies with. Some say a certain time ( example..120 min. ) BUT that is NOT the FULL movie play. Because you have ads & movie previews on the DVD also.

HOPE I MADE SENSE I always look at the walk though that generally gives me of the play time.

PEN

Edited on 06/25/2010 at 8:19:57 AM PST

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Jun 25, 10 8:39 AM
Clear as Mud ," know I agree" , I did check out the walkthrough & it looks like a good length , but very small objects,

[Post New]by snowflakesh on Jun 25, 10 8:42 AM
I like this game and will probably buy it. Graphics are good, items not too small and enjoyed the demo. Generous hints, (only used once to see how fast it refills) so it's a buy for me.

Diamond71
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Diamond71 on Jun 25, 10 8:58 AM
Thanks,to you PATNSKY for your description of game,I have not tried it but you mentioned the barrel or circle that came up that you had to then find those items.That has been a feature that Iv enjoyed in all games and bought everyone of them that had that feature.So Im off to download it.But wanted to let you know that comments about games are very appreciated.
Diamond71

seashore4
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by seashore4 on Jun 25, 10 9:48 AM
just played the demo.I really liked it beautiful forest.loved the deer,wish it would talk hehe.like all the wild life feeling,cozy.I just hope it is longer than I think it is.I'm at the point I need to see the realtor. enjoyed the game!

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on Jun 25, 10 10:04 AM
Just simply lovely. Very charming game and enjoyed going thru the gorgeous, different scenes. I will say that the mini games were VERY easy, just wished there was more difficulty in solving them.
Somewhat dark but manageable (at least for me). Wished I heard the charactor's voices instead of reading what they are saying. Makes it more (in my head) like I am experiencing the involvement of being there.
Great game, thanks BF and keep em coming!

2thick4u
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by 2thick4u on Jun 25, 10 1:02 PM
Love the game I do agree the pieces are a bit small. I am an average gamer so it will probably take a minute for me to finish it. I will probably buy it since I like the soothing music and the help and hint buttons. Plus seems like a nice story line.

I hate when I buy them and am through before I get comfortable. This one seems like it will take me a minute so I am in.

Thanks BF you supply all kinds of games for folks like me. It's a keeper and it does help to read all the comments so keep posting folks!

[Post New]by krystlikott on Jun 25, 10 2:14 PM
Gave up after 30 minutes with endless searching for bits and pieces. This might be a nice HOG but has little to do with adventure gaming in my opinion. The goals are spelled out and every objects you have to pick up is a HOG. The story and graphics looks decent enough but this is mainly HOG-territory which really slows down the gameplay if you were looking for an adventure. Please correct me if it all speeds up later in the game but for me it is a no buy.

That does not mean it is a bad game, just too slow for my taste.

Go to: