LynnNfld
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

gifts...

[Post New]by LynnNfld on Feb 21, 18 2:08 PM
I took my wish list down this morning, so I could do some catch-up with gifting, but I'm still receiving gifts 8 hrs. later. Weird.

silver_hawk
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,532 Posts

Re:gifts...

[Post New]by silver_hawk on Feb 21, 18 2:33 PM
In order for the gifts to stop coming after you've removed or changed your wish list your friends must exit and re-enter their games for the social page to reflect the changes.

You may have some friend(s) that don't close down their games often. I have one friend that I always get items long after I've removed or changed items on my wish list. I think they either must be playing all day long or don't close down their game much.

The only time I get the new items (reflecting my current with list) from this friend is when there is an update to the game and everyone is forced into closing down and loading in the new content.

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Feb 21, 18 2:41 PM
I always close my game several times a day (so it will save my progress), but I often get gifts 2 or even 3 days after taking down my wishlist.
I have also received items I took off my wishlist days earlier.

It seems it just takes some gifts longer to get through the ether.
The important thing is that they eventually get through to you.

Sharp_Eye574363
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,845 Posts

[Post New]by Sharp_Eye574363 on Feb 21, 18 3:19 PM
silver_hawk wrote:In order for the gifts to stop coming after you've removed or changed your wish list your friends must exit and re-enter their games for the social page to reflect the changes.

You may have some friend(s) that don't close down their games often. I have one friend that I always get items long after I've removed or changed items on my wish list. I think they either must be playing all day long or don't close down their game much.

The only time I get the new items (reflecting my current with list) from this friend is when there is an update to the game and everyone is forced into closing down and loading in the new content.

Oops! That would probably be me! Here's why, but I will make a mental note to start closing and reopening at least once after first gifting round is done.

I full-time telework from home so my routine is get up, put on the coffee, log in to my work laptop at kitchen table, then log in to my game (laptop on the couch). Have coffee and take care of any work, then go to my game and get the first gifting round done before 11 AM, back to work laptop (if needed), then back to game laptop and do 2nd gifting round anytime after 11 AM, then back and forth rest of day between work laptop and game laptop until GMT for 3rd gifting round, do the challenge, spin the WOF and Trina wheel, then rest of evening read forum, post some, then Olympics while playing HOS.

I know, I know....this is how I earned my spot in the Special Room!

My sincerest apologies and I will try to do better at closing out and going back in during the day (I had forgotten about this issue and why it's good to log out and back in again).

Ada

silver_hawk
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,532 Posts

[Post New]by silver_hawk on Feb 21, 18 3:38 PM
Sharp_Eye574363 wrote:
silver_hawk wrote:

Oops! That would probably be me! Here's why, but I will make a mental note to start closing and reopening at least once after first gifting round is done.

Ada

Nope. Not you. Different friend with two games. It doesn't bother me though. If I take something off my WL and still get gifted it won't go to waste. I'll still need it later. My wish list is primarily items for a friend to gift to get postcards and items that have been depleted thanks to getting the same DQ over and over and my Blue Key Quest positions can't keep up with the demand.

Edited on 02/21/2018 at 3:38:57 PM PST

Sharp_Eye574363
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,845 Posts

[Post New]by Sharp_Eye574363 on Feb 21, 18 3:46 PM
Aw, thanks for letting me know! But, I do need to remember to log out and go back in so that wish lists are current and, as Druid said, to save progress in case of a snafu!

mdpetdoc
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,489 Posts

[Post New]by mdpetdoc on Feb 21, 18 11:05 PM
Sharp_Eye574363 wrote:Aw, thanks for letting me know! But, I do need to remember to log out and go back in so that wish lists are current and, as Druid said, to save progress in case of a snafu!

Probably a more important reason to close MC regularly throughout the day is to preserve the life of your laptop. This game is very graphics intensive which puts a lot of heat stress on a computer. This is particularly hard on a laptop which is generally much less effective at cooling than a tower. Closing MC for 15 to 20 minutes each hour allows the laptop's internal temperature to cool down. I use what is probably the most aggressive laptop cooler on the market and a program to track its internal temperature and it will hit critical temperature in about 90 minutes. Most laptops will dim displays and slow clock time to help cooling but it takes its toll on the computer.

Given the number of computers that seem to die while playing this game, I'd speculate that many people are unaware of the stress being placed on their computers.

Sharp_Eye574363
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,845 Posts

[Post New]by Sharp_Eye574363 on Feb 22, 18 12:04 PM
mdpetdoc wrote:
Sharp_Eye574363 wrote:Aw, thanks for letting me know! But, I do need to remember to log out and go back in so that wish lists are current and, as Druid said, to save progress in case of a snafu!

Probably a more important reason to close MC regularly throughout the day is to preserve the life of your laptop. This game is very graphics intensive which puts a lot of heat stress on a computer. This is particularly hard on a laptop which is generally much less effective at cooling than a tower. Closing MC for 15 to 20 minutes each hour allows the laptop's internal temperature to cool down. I use what is probably the most aggressive laptop cooler on the market and a program to track its internal temperature and it will hit critical temperature in about 90 minutes. Most laptops will dim displays and slow clock time to help cooling but it takes its toll on the computer.

Given the number of computers that seem to die while playing this game, I'd speculate that many people are unaware of the stress being placed on their computers.

So true, I sure didn't know! Thank you for this very important information! As hard as it will be, I will now be stepping away from my game and shutting down every hour!

Go to: