bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Review for Kate Arrow: Deserted Wood

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 26, 10 12:59 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Kate Arrow: Deserted Wood? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Kate Arrow: Deserted Wood

[Post New]by Imberis on Jun 26, 10 1:14 AM
This game is pretty decent, and I'm leaning towards purchasing it.

Pros: I like the break from the creepy storylines (which I do love), although part of the game appears like it will be a "stuck in the jungle" story. The music isn't obnoxious. I like that there are many adventure aspects to the game. There are lots of things to do and figure out. The game gives you a list of goals, and when you complete one it gets crossed off. It helps you to know what's still left to do in a chapter.

Cons: This probably won't be an issue for many people, but the game, in "full screen" is not actually in full screen. I have a 20" widescreen monitor, and there are nearly three-inch black bars on each side. This is the second game in a week to do that! I don't mind it with time management games, but it bugs me with hidden object games because it makes the graphics look compressed and pixelated. Also, lots of hidden object scenes have a weird tone to them, like the developers just added some sort of filter over the whole scene to make it look nicer. There are sparkles where you should interact. Quite a number of games do this, but I wish this one had a "hard" mode so I could figure it out myself. You have to revisit hidden object scenes. In one chapter, you do the same scene three times, with no changes in objects or object placement.

When you find an object, the game says, "I wonder what this is for?" (Or something like that.) It's clearly labeled when you find it in a hidden object scene, but it's suddenly mysterious when it goes in your inventory? That cracked me up!

Overall, it's not a bad game, and when I looked through the walkthrough it seemed to be of an average length.

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Jun 26, 10 1:33 AM
i played the first chapter and it took me 45 minutes, so the game length should be pretty decent as i didn't see the walk through posted yet.

basically you get an email from your grandfather who is in the jungle and he needs you to get his map, idol and your camera and come to the jungle.

the game gives you a list of things that you need to do. you have to find the things on the list and then put them where they need to be or use them where they need to be used. there are also some hog scenes, mini games so far have been to turn the power on by clicking on the buttons to get all the lights to light up, getting a goat, cabbage, wolf across the river and to make sure that the goat is not left alone with the cabbage and so on, and a puzzle to put the map together and to pack the camera. this was all in chapter 1.

hints do recharge but they take a little while, music not too bad. if you misclick so many times your cursor breaks up into a lot of little arrows. the hidden object scene items are really well hid. as imberis said the screen is not a full screen on my monitor either and i have a 24 inch.

this will be a buy for me.

i give it 3 out of 5

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jun 26, 10 1:36 AM
I got stuck 30 minutes in - was running in circles. Hints didn't help with this. I think I was supposed to find a hook to look in the attic, but every room the hint said I should look elsewhere. Getting stuck is a pet peeve of mine, so I really doubt I'll be buying this one, even if I find out what I need to do to continue thru the demo.

Update: After using the walk-thru to get unstuck, I was able to play the rest of the demo ok. At the end of the hour I was in Chapter 2. The walk-thru shows 5 chapters.

The graphics are nice.

I don't feel compelled to keep playing. For me, the most compelling part I've seen in the demo is the car, which is similar to one my mom had for lots of years.

I usually like jungle HOG scenes, but the demo never got me far from home. I guess half the fun/game is getting there?

Edited on 06/26/2010 at 2:14:19 AM PST

pupulegirl
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by pupulegirl on Jun 26, 10 1:38 AM
I have a 22 inch screen and I have no problem with game filling the whole screen. The graphics are nice and clear and for a change, nice and bright!

Will probably purchase this. I'm enjoying the game so far but have only finished the 1st chapter with 20 minutes left of the demo. Unfortunately it's time for beddy-bye. I'll finish the demo in the morning and then make the final decision.

Good night all and happy gaming!

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Jun 26, 10 1:45 AM
I found after finishing the demo of Kate Arrow: Deserted Wood to be a fun game and rather challenging game. The graphics are wonderful and so clear and bright. A definite plus in my book after all the dark ones we have had lately.

You have the option of playing with the game cursor or changing to the system cursor. I gave the game cursor a try and found it was good, no slowdowns etc.

I like going from room to room looking for clues. I think it adds to the game instead of just one HOG scene after another, especially when the HOG scenes are junk pile style. I did not find any of the Hidden Objects to be very small but just very well hidden, and I do mean very well hidden. Thank goodness the Hint button refreshes rather quickly.

This is buy for me, but not until July, as I do not want to start a new card so late in the month.

Thanks BF for giving us a nice variety of games so all fishies in the pond are happy.

Pat

Edited on 06/26/2010 at 1:46:47 AM PST

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Jun 26, 10 1:49 AM
gimmegames wrote:I got stuck 30 minutes in - was running in circles. Hints didn't help with this. I think I was supposed to find a hook to look in the attic, but every room the hint said I should look elsewhere. Getting stuck is a pet peeve of mine, so I really doubt I'll be buying this one, even if I find out what I need to do to continue thru the demo.

Sent you a PM where the attic hook is

rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by rlk0045 on Jun 26, 10 1:55 AM
This game does not have a full screen mode just like another game this week which I hate. I deleted the game straight away.

sct1968
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by sct1968 on Jun 26, 10 2:27 AM
i want to start off with that i got through chapter one in one hour exactly. must be slower than others. i like this game. i don't feel it's a junk pile game. return to raven hurst is a junk pile game in my book. the music is good and i have a 24 inch monitor and the game played full screen. i will be buying this game. it is not too hard and not super easy. loading the camera back was a struggle but the music box was easy if you thought outside the box. 4 stars for my review.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jun 26, 10 2:46 AM
Well I like this game although my cursor was a bit sluggish until I had disabled the custom one.

As has already been said some of the objects are really well hidden and you have to actually "look" to see them and I also like having to use my brain to figure things out so this is a definite buy for me.

Well done "developer who I am not allowed to name" your efforts are appreciated.

C

[Post New]by RavenD on Jun 26, 10 3:05 AM
A nice game. Clear graphics, objects just the right size, not too small not too big, although some are very cleverly hidden.

No penalty for random clicking, however too many clicks at the same spot, and the cursor will split to many cursors for a few seconds.

I have 20 minutes left on the demo and I am at level 1, missing a map piece, so it seems the length may be decent.

I enjoyed the puzzles so far. They are challenging enough for me to buy the game.
I always turn off the music, so I cannot comment on that.

Happy gaming!

[Post New]by glitterbutterfly on Jun 26, 10 4:09 AM
This isn't for me. The hidden object scenes are clear and bright and the story seems interesting, but I don't like the cursor changing when I find something I need. That's less hidden object and more waiting for the cursor to show you where stuff is. There's no challenge in that for me so I won't be buying it.

[Post New]by heatherington on Jun 26, 10 4:52 AM
Do you guys ever sleep? LOL I bought this game after playing it for like five minutes. It's just the kind of game I love to pieces. The objects are REAL, and even though they are laid out and easy to see YOU CAN'T FIND THEM. But they are truly in plain sight. I LOVE IT!

Jixio
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Jixio on Jun 26, 10 4:58 AM
Just a thought----How about a grandson looking for his grandmother, or is that just too off-the-wall for some of these developers?

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Jun 26, 10 5:11 AM
Jixio wrote:Just a thought----How about a grandson looking for his grandmother, or is that just too off-the-wall for some of these developers?

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Jun 26, 10 5:20 AM
I like the game but it's not interesting enough for me to buy.

It doesn't have fullscreen but that's OK.

It's a typical HOG, nothing special, no special animations or things to do. You can pretty much figure out what to do.

Objects are small but you can usually find them. I used a hint on the last objects due to trying to do as much as I could during demo time. Hints are generous.

The graphics are clear and bright but I thought I'd get further into the wooded area by the time the demo was up. That appeals to me more than the airport hangar.

It's a good game for younger folks and those who don't need as much of a challenge.

steelerlady1
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by steelerlady1 on Jun 26, 10 5:37 AM
krissywillow wrote:
Jixio wrote:Just a thought----How about a grandson looking for his grandmother, or is that just too off-the-wall for some of these developers?

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Jun 26, 10 5:59 AM
Good Morning!
Well this is a nice HOG game! I think it will make most of us HOG lovers happy! It has great graphics, it is clear. It is also nice and bright and the objects are well hidden in plain sight as someone else said! Nice job Developers! I to will wait for next month for purchase but I enjoyed my 45 trial minutes.
I got as far as the attic. I was slow to find things and needed hint! The music is on a loop I think, but it is not distasteful just predictable. Oh and the interaction has been fine. I found the size was not an issue. The sides had 2 inch bars but the top and bottom were full screen size. I think my monitor is 16 inches wide?
Well Have a great weekend all..
Sally

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Jun 26, 10 6:10 AM
I'm playing on a 20 inch wide screen and have a full screen. The graphics are bright and clear. It is not a sift through the ton of clutter IHOG. I generally ignore the storyline so no comment. It is fairly easy to play with needed objects sparkling which, for me is a plus: I play IHOGs primarily for the hidden object scenes. Hints readily available and no penalty for wrong choice clicks. Not a gothic, vampire, spooky game, which is a change and offers something for different tastes. Nonintrusive sound track. I will buy in July to be on a new stamp card.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Jun 26, 10 6:57 AM
This is a nice little HOG for those new to the genre or would like a pretty straight forward game. While it's on the easy side for me, it's perfect for hubby. He loves this style. The graphics are easy on the eye's, the storyline is a 'been-there-done-that', and the music was mundane and boring.

I play on a 22" wide monitor and have encountered no troubles with game screen coverage.

Is this a purchase for our home? Not today. Maybe if I need that 6th punch next week or hubby whines loud enough.

Go to: