Helpers

demon13
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

Helpers

[Post New]by demon13 on Feb 24, 18 5:08 PM
Wish there was a way to give the option to use the helper's, I personally like them. And I know most people don't. I don't care for fragmented games but there have been a few that were good story's so it just takes me awhile longer to play them. But hey, these guys work hard to please everyone,

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

Re:Helpers

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Feb 24, 18 6:30 PM
I like helpers too. Especially a little scarecrow and elf. I like all kinds of animal helpers too. Even a bat.

Edited on 02/24/2018 at 6:34:16 PM PST

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Feb 24, 18 7:52 PM
I don't mind the helpers either. some are rather cute.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Feb 25, 18 3:48 AM
Majestyx12 wrote:I like helpers too. Especially a little scarecrow and elf. I like all kinds of animal helpers too. Even a bat.

Okay, now I'm curious, which game has a bat helper? I'm definitely playing that one

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

Helpers

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Feb 25, 18 4:01 AM
demon13 wrote:Wish there was a way to give the option to use the helper's, I personally like them. And I know most people don't. I don't care for fragmented games but there have been a few that were good story's so it just takes me awhile longer to play them. But hey, these guys work hard to please everyone,

Some games do indeed give you an option to use a helper or not such as League of Light: Edge of Justice.

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Feb 25, 18 5:24 AM
pennmom36 wrote:
Majestyx12 wrote:I like helpers too. Especially a little scarecrow and elf. I like all kinds of animal helpers too. Even a bat.

Okay, now I'm curious, which game has a bat helper? I'm definitely playing that one

Midnight Calling: Anabel has a bat helper. Haven't you played that one?

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Feb 25, 18 1:25 PM
Majestyx12 wrote:
pennmom36 wrote:

Midnight Calling: Anabel has a bat helper. Haven't you played that one?

Yes, it's been a while tho, and all I remember is a raccoon?....too many games lol

btw: what is this supposed to be???

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Feb 25, 18 1:52 PM
Hey pennmom36,

That... vaguely looks like a gopher face? Maybe? That's my best guess! One of the forum mysteries we may never solve...

bfgArinelle

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Helpers

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 26, 18 1:19 AM
pennmom36 wrote:
demon13 wrote:Wish there was a way to give the option to use the helper's, I personally like them. And I know most people don't. I don't care for fragmented games but there have been a few that were good story's so it just takes me awhile longer to play them. But hey, these guys work hard to please everyone,

Some games do indeed give you an option to use a helper or not such as League of Light: Edge of Justice.

And that is exactly how all the games that feature "helpers" should be ---- an option.

A helper feature just flags the game as "mediocre" at best ----- they are used largely to fill out an otherwise uninteresting story as they are usually useless and in the way.

When helpers first showed up on the HOPAs, they were well crafted and something different. Unfortunately, a bad case of "me too" ran through the development world, and the race was on to see who could come up with the cutest, sweetest, cuddliest helper. Storytelling was forgotten. New ideas were put on the back burner. And new game devices were forgotten as we got a glut of "helpers". And HOPAs suffered. But the good news is that the developers seem to be getting out of the "helper" rut slowly, but surely.

And that's great for gaming ---- it's past time to get back to stories that make sense, that are somewhat challenging, that feature new ideas and concepts, and get rid of the helpers that are immature and indulgent.
We don't see them as often as we used to, thank goodness, but those games that do have them are a no buy, no trial for me. (But if there were an option to trash the helper ---- that would be great.)

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Feb 26, 18 6:28 AM
@ cbtx Don't they have helpers on midnight castle? That's the only games you play right? I meant to say buy. Do you still buy games?

I think buyers should have more a vote on helpers. I vote yea! For helpers!

Edited on 02/26/2018 at 6:39:00 AM PST

[Post New]by MaryCricket on Feb 26, 18 6:52 AM
Majestyx12 wrote:@ cbtx Don't they have helpers on midnight castle? That's the only games you play right? I meant to say buy. Do you still buy games?

I play Midnight Castle, they have pet, only to feed and we get items from chests but they are not really helpers.

I love helpers in games but this one is annoying

In the upcoming new game Midnight Calling: Arabella you get an Choice if receiving the animal

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Feb 26, 18 7:58 AM
@MaryCricket Did you beta the new one coming out? Was the game good? I generally like the same games you do. I haven't beta tested since June or July of 2017 and I'm a CE buyer.

Edited on 02/27/2018 at 8:53:41 AM PST

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Feb 27, 18 5:42 AM
cbtx wrote:
Majestyx12 wrote:@ cbtx Don't they have helpers on midnight castle? That's the only games you play right? I meant to say buy. Do you still buy games?

ref

What is ref? Short for reference? I do want to say I found your post interesting. But I'm still hopeful when new games come out. Mystery Trackers wouldn't be the same without Elf. I would hate to see this series boycotted just because it has a helper. I can't see that cute and endearing as bad.

Edited on 02/27/2018 at 6:58:35 AM PST

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Feb 27, 18 10:28 AM
Hey there Everyone,

I'm swimming by today with a reminder for our players to keep discussion in the forums civil and respectful. Opinions can lead to disagreements, which, on their own, are totally fine. Sharing and discussing different opinions is part of what makes the forums a great place. We do ask that our players keep their discussions over these matters limited to discussion of the ideas themselves rather than targeting the player, and we also ask that the discussions remain polite. Please keep the Forum Rules in mind when posting:

Treat others with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other users, moderators, or Big Fish employees on the forums will not be tolerated. Play nice.

Thank you, everyone, for your understanding and your efforts to keep the forums a friendly, accessible place for all of our wonderful players.

bfgArinelle

Edited on 02/27/2018 at 10:28:54 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Mar 1, 18 8:56 PM
I'm sure everyone in the forums buys and plays games, but an inquiry about any individual's playing or buying choices lends nothing to the discussion of helpers.

ref

Edited on 03/01/2018 at 10:09:05 PM PST

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Mar 2, 18 10:20 AM
I still love them. ref. not my ref.

Edited on 03/02/2018 at 10:26:02 AM PST

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Mar 2, 18 10:25 AM
It would be pretty sad if a new player never plays Mystery Trackers or League of Light because they listened to hateful talk of helpers.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Mar 2, 18 12:17 PM
Mystery Trackers games feature that dog. As one reviewer noted:

"OPTIONAL AGENT ELF BADGE! I WOULD HAVE PURCHASED THIS GAME IF I COULD OPT OUT OF USING THIS ANNOYING “HELPER” DOG. He is used excessively and is a major distraction. He prances, barks excessively, and his antics are time consuming. He is out-of-place in this game. Please remember, not all your customers are enamored by these helpers! MAKE THEIR USE OPTIONAL! "

And I completely agree (from game page reviews).

On the other hand, as to the League of Light and it's scarecrow the same reviewer notes:

"A GOLDEN STAR FOR THE OPTIONAL HELPER. You can also take Tom the Scarecrow out of the cabinet and use him as a helper – OR NOT! THE “HELPER” SCARECROW IS OPTIONAL! Thanks, Mariaglorum, and an extra star for allowing those who don’t want a helper to opt out! I wish more developers offered this option. At least for me, I will be purchasing more games from this developer! Thank you for listening to us."

And, again, I completely agree (also from game page reviews). Very astute of the dev to offer this as it makes the game desirable to more players.

And that is the point originally made by pennmom36 ---- make the helper optional ---- that way, everyone should be pleased. (perhaps some did not realize the helper is an option in this game)
I don't believe for one second that the key contributor quoted is being negative or hateful in any way, nor am I ---- it is simply an honest opinion we share about in game helpers. They have worn out their welcome for many players.
Making the helper an option would sell more games.

ref6

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Mar 2, 18 12:53 PM
Helpers, Helpers, Helpers!

Shouting looks hateful.

Edited on 03/02/2018 at 3:25:42 PM PST

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Mar 2, 18 1:31 PM
What was that wonderful game with the scotty dog from Oz? Was it Bridge to another world: Escape from OZ?

41 Five Stars and 9 Four Stars. Looks like it earned money.

2017 game isn't it?

Edited on 03/05/2018 at 12:12:02 PM PST

Go to: