bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Soccer Cup Solitaire

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 28, 10 12:36 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Soccer Cup Solitaire? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

RyeMcLaughlin
Stingray
Stingray
4,659 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Soccer Cup Solitaire

[Post New]by RyeMcLaughlin on Jun 28, 10 9:59 AM
I just finished the demo of Soccer Cup Solitaire. If you try it you are probably going to be grateful that one of the options is to mute the announcer's voice. It got annoying very quickly. Otherwise it's a good matching solitaire game ( from a game review site). You play as your choice of one of 32 countries battling to gain the World Cup. Matches get different points according to matching color, exact card, making runs etc. Your point score gets carried over from game to game and every 4500 points you get a goal.

Like Fairway Solitaire there are special cards can be good or bad. One type flashes between goal or no goal for the opposing team. The other has a larger group with cards such as spectator runs onto the field, your team receives a red card, or your player heads the ball into the goal.

The game uses most of the screen, so it's easy to forget about cards on the edges. For me it adds a little challenge to keep track of everything, because otherwise it's a fairly easy game. The music is just OK. It's rock with vocals which is different, but mostly I mute music anyway.

The game moves quickly and I found myself saying just one more game. I was surprized when the demo time was up. Give the demo a try.

Mookie25
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Mookie25 on Jun 28, 10 7:36 PM
I also had a lot of fun with the demo & could not believe how fast the hour went by.

Will be buying it on 7/1 for sure.

hrslvr_paints
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,224 Posts

[Post New]by hrslvr_paints on Jun 29, 10 11:07 AM
I didn't find this as enjoyable as Fairway Solitaire. Maybe it's because I'm not into soccer at all. I mean, there's some big sporting event going on right now, right?

I thought that it was weird that you get major points for same suit/color but it didn't really add a challenge because you could still match if it was just number/face regardless of color/suit.

Part of the added challenge with Fairway was that you only had until you'd been through the deck to get rid of all of your cards. Being able to recycle the deck took away the challenge and the fun, for me anyways.

I always have the sound muted so I have no idea what any of that's like.

This is a pass for me.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jul 7, 10 12:55 AM
Well, I hated both the music and the announcer, but the card game seems a little easier than fairway solitaire, which I never was able to finish.

As I keep pointing out, this is more a mah jongg type game than a solitaire game. Yes, cards are used, but matching cards rather than going through the suits is not really solitaire. (That's not to say it isn't fun.)

Not my first choice of game, but it has potential. Thanks for offering it.

James_Kit
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by James_Kit on Jul 7, 10 2:51 AM
I like solitaire games. This was the second best one I have played and the game play was great.

I absolutely love the music and announcer, it adds a lot to the game for me. The game is more alive... but if you're not like me then you can use "mute announcer" or "mute music" option in the menu.

Soccer Cup Solitaire seems to be a mix of 2-3 games: Fairway Solitaire (sport theme, wild shots, long drives) and either Mystery Solitaire: Secret Island or Heartwild Solitaire (game mechanic). This combination works very good and let's you enjoy the game no matter if you want to max the scores or not.

There are also few mini games, like penalty kick or find the ball.

This is a 5 star game for me and definite buy.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Jul 7, 10 3:25 AM
First of all, to BFG Moderator - Could you please get someone to proof spelling? I keep finding errors on demos and/or descriptions of games. On this demo, about 38 seconds into the demo, the screen says "Get PASS the defenders..." and it should be "Get PAST the defenders..."

Maybe it was on purpose due to it being soccer?

I'm not a sports fan at all, so I don't think I'll care much for this one but I'll be trying the demo game this morning. I've been waiting for a really good card game, and I LOVE Fairway Solitaire and Faerie Solitaire, but this one doesn't sound as good as either of them.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 7, 10 5:08 AM
I enjoyed the game itself - interesting way to play, trying to make color or identical matches, and sequences of matches and all, and the gameplay is untimed.

I hated the gameplay environment though, and only lasted thru half the demo.

I turned off the music (- I'm not into hard rock, just my preference), and I turned off the announcer. (- Ok... so I could play this one while watching tv maybe...)

What I could not turn off was the incessant visual prompts, and this makes it a definite no-buy for me. I would much prefer a hint button. Or at the very least, a longer time between prompts and an option to turn them off.

Aside from the sound environment and incessant visual prompts, I think I could have lived with this game. Overall visual environment is nothing to write home about, but acceptable - the comparison to Fairway Solitaire is a pretty reasonable one in that regard, as to a card deck that has theme-based images on the faces, and the cartoonish drawn backgrounds and all. As I say, the game itself I thought was kinda neat.

Fishdom 2 was released today - so if you need to calm your nerves after this demo, go try that one - nice .

Edited on 07/07/2010 at 1:28:59 PM PST

billy_mc
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by billy_mc on Jul 7, 10 6:33 AM
what ive seen is good - but wont be buying unless it stops turning my computer off. I get to second stage about to finish and boom comps turned off. So till thats sorted ill be giving it a miss - shame i proberly would of bought it.

[Post New]by Roman_ANAWIKI on Jul 7, 10 7:53 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys and thanks to BFG team for launching the game in time for the greatest matches in South Africa.

I hear that some of you don't like the music - just turn it off - we had a choice to make the music that wouldn't fit either soccer neither solitaire, so we decided to get the music that fits the theme, knowing that most solitaire players turns down the music anyway (just check out other forums, you all say music gets irritating quickly).

Give this game a chance, it's a good game

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 7, 10 10:09 AM
Jewel Quest Solitaire II is the closest gameplay I'm aware of to this game.

billy_mc
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by billy_mc on Jul 7, 10 10:50 AM
Roman_ANAWIKI wrote:Thanks for all the comments guys and thanks to BFG team for launching the game in time for the greatest matches in South Africa.

I hear that some of you don't like the music - just turn it off - we had a choice to make the music that wouldn't fit either soccer neither solitaire, so we decided to get the music that fits the theme, knowing that most solitaire players turns down the music anyway (just check out other forums, you all say music gets irritating quickly).

Give this game a chance, it's a good game

i like the game just want it to work - just like the poker game i love both wont work on my comp for some reason...

julese53
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by julese53 on Jul 7, 10 11:42 AM
This game is totally addicting! I'm not sure if I'll buy it, being unemployed sure puts a crimp in my game buying. The music and announcer didn't bother me.

asierrahiker
Marlin
Marlin
9,070 Posts

[Post New]by asierrahiker on Jul 7, 10 2:35 PM
I'm not a sports fan and am only so-so on solitaire games but this game is fun for me somehow. Go figure!

The hour demo flew by for me. Wow! That alone is a sign of an enjoyable game. I even liked the music and chuckled at the announcer. I guess I'm easily amused. He would get old after too long though. My 3 yo grandson would love the announcer, I bet. He plays soccer on a team at his church.

Not snapping up the game just yet but I like it. I just might buy it soon!

We'll see if it nags at me in my sleep. That is a sure sign I have to buy it.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Jul 7, 10 3:19 PM
Well, I played a demo game and finished that. Yeah, it has some nice ideas, I even didn't mind the music. But the game lacks something - I don't even know what.

It can't be that there is not much variation to what the commentary offers. It's not that his statements are generic and are not in tune to the standing of the game. I was leading Algeria by 5-0 and he said that the game "is too close to call". Fairway did that one much better.

Maybe it's that football isn't really suited for a slow moving solitaire game. Maybe I have too many Solitaire games already (Fairy and Fairway).

So all in all, I can see and appreciate that the developer put a lot of effort into the game, but it's not for me. Sorry.

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on Jul 8, 10 7:18 AM
hrslvr_paints wrote:I didn't find this as enjoyable as Fairway Solitaire. Maybe it's because I'm not into soccer at all. I mean, there's some big sporting event going on right now, right?

I thought that it was weird that you get major points for same suit/color but it didn't really add a challenge because you could still match if it was just number/face regardless of color/suit.

Part of the added challenge with Fairway was that you only had until you'd been through the deck to get rid of all of your cards. Being able to recycle the deck took away the challenge and the fun, for me anyways.

I always have the sound muted so I have no idea what any of that's like.

This is a pass for me.

So funny! I didn't like Fairway Solitaire at all and I love this one....possibly because I HATE golf and LOVE soccer!

I turned off the announcer too, mostly because when I was taking my time trying to find good plays, he'd **** in with "There's a lull in the action..." NO KIDDING!!

I played for about 10 minutes and bought it.

It's my 2nd favorite solitaire game too. Faery Solitaire is my all time favorite!

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on Jul 9, 10 7:28 AM
BTW, I really do like the music! 99 percent of the time, the first thing I do is turn off the music after the first few bars. My husband was surprised that I kept the music on for this one!

[Post New]by wellychocolate on Jul 11, 10 12:59 PM
whats the name of the band i like IT your right about the announcer though no good
please help i realy want the song for my pod

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on Aug 19, 10 6:04 AM
If you ever think about making a similar game (basketball?? baseball???), could I make a suggestion?

It would be really nice if there was a place for "high scores". I try to get the max points for each level, but I never know if it's better or worse than the last time I played! You could either do it in each round or have a "high scores" table in the main menu.

Gotta say that I just love this game!

Edited on 08/19/2010 at 7:00:57 AM PST

[Post New]by TuffTadpoles on May 31, 11 5:25 PM

Nice sports theme solitaire game. It seems to be a bit on the easy side, but still fun. Maybe it gets more difficult later in the game. I actually like the announcer. The announcer adds considerably to the atmosphere of the game, with just one small exception...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAALL!!!

Scared the hell out of me. Is that really necessary? lol

Go to: