Devs - Expensive to Play

Kyothecat
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

Devs - Expensive to Play

[Post New]by Kyothecat on Feb 26, 18 7:12 PM
First off I play this game and like it. Except for having to spend money to play. I know its a "free to play" game but only if you want to spend a month or two playing to finish Prof Pinfeathers quest to move on to a new one.
I'm on level 67 in the game. Everything in the game cost more as you go along. You have to open new areas for 5000 gold coins, 10000 gold coins, 20000 gold coins! Some are HO puzzles, some are zoom zones. Zoom zones require you to earn items in HO's you have open.
Prof Pinfeathers quests and the daily quests (where you earn pet medallions) all cost gold coins. You have to have the necessary areas open or pay to open them to do the quest.
The game doesn't let you earn enough gold coins to make progress. You earn 15, maybe 50 gold coins for completing a HO. It takes a long time to add up to do something. I mean if you have to craft something in the lab at least half the time if not more it takes gold coins. You can spend 1500, 4000, 4500 gold coins to craft something! You may have 3 people you need to do something for to finish Prof Pinfeathers. They each pay you gold coins when finished, maybe 900 gold coins. You have to spend way more than you earn to accomplish the tasks to move on in the game.
Now I have noticed more zoom zones are opened then HO's. It wouldn't be bad but as you progress in the game the HO's end up cooling down for an hour before you can do them again. The Devs have also written the game so you need the same HO's almost immediately in order to finish a quest and its now not available for an hour. They have given you amulets you can earn to bypass this but you run out of those quickly. You need a hundred of those amulets to access this. You can only earn 20 (25?) of those a day. So at the best it takes you 4 days to get a hundred to use the amulets. Of course you can open the HO for diamonds which you earn in a trickle. You either earn diamonds (sloooooooooowly) or spend cash money from your pocket.
One last thing I opted out of the Castle Quest because it costs too much. You need 30 pet medallions for day 11 of the quest. You have to do mutiple Daily Quests to acquire 30 medallions. Sometimes going to the same HO 3 times. Again we run into the hour cool down problem. On the Castle Quest you are required to craft 15 items in 30 minutes Even if you do simple pet food it still takes gold coins. You have to pack 12 crates for the airship on one of the quests. Cont...

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

Re:Devs - Expensive to Play

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Feb 26, 18 8:28 PM
1. If you want to continue a thought....just post a reply to the same thread....you don't need to create another one to say what you want to say next. It also becomes confusing for others reading the forum.....and it makes it difficult for them to reply.

2. You gave a very good synopsis of the game......yes, it costs a bunch to progress in the levels.....the game was never intended to be completed in a matter of hours or even days.....it was meant to offer months and even years of playing pleasure......in that, it succeeds quite well.

3. Amulets were created to give "boosts" in play....they were not meant to be used daily to progress in the game.

4. Yes, it takes an hour for the HOS to cool down....but by Level 67, you should have nearly enough HOSs opened to be able to visit each one during that hour and have only a few minutes wait time before your HOS is available.....and that is called "doing the rounds" ..... which is very necessary to advance in the game.

From playing the HOSs, you get airship items, pet food, stamps, coins, and some inventory........all necessary for game advancement. If you try to use the Puzzles, Amulets, and pets to provide the items you need, you are actually cheating yourself because you don't get the added items from HOS completion.

5. The Castle Challenges are not for everyone....nor are they necessary to level up in the game. They are mostly given to players to have something new/different to do to help with the boredom of daily rounds....same with the Daily Quests, Trina's quests, and Side Quests (once you reach Level 69).

6. Some of the levels are more expensive than others .... this is the nature of the game....I do believe that the Levels 70 to 79 are some of the most expensive ones in the game .... so, hold on to your hat if you decide to continue with the game!

7. You can use the NEW Strategy Guide to see what characters are going to ask for during each level as well as the amount of coins and stamps that would be required for that level if you had to craft everything. It can be a great help for determining when to just stop (temporarily) with the character quests and just do some rounds for awhile to build up supplies.

(continued next post down)

Edited on 02/26/2018 at 8:49:53 PM PST

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Feb 26, 18 8:31 PM
8. As I stated in the continued thread you created...this game is not meant to be played overnight....it takes months and years to get to current content end....not for everyone, but with over half of my friends at Level 84 waiting for the next update, it is totally possible.

9. When the devs send you to the same HOS repeatedly, they are only trying to help you with building your coins and supplies.....when you reach a point that you cannot continue because certain HOSs have not cooled down....go into each and every other HOS available to build coins, stamps, etc.

You will be surprised at how fast things will build up by just taking some time to go round and round and round......boring? Yep, indeed it is......but, necessary and productive.

See post below for answer posted in your "continued" thread

Edited on 02/26/2018 at 8:50:08 PM PST

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Feb 26, 18 8:44 PM
Here is the OP's "continued part" that was posted in a separate thread:

Kyothecat wrote:You can always use diamonds to buy airship items for the quests and other times.

Bottom line you don't give enough of an incentive, payback in the game, to do this. I don't see anybody becoming a millionaire in this game unless they don't do anything but play this game and don't try to make any progress, just collect gold coins.

I guess I'm just frustrated with this game and have spent way too much money to get anywhere in it.

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Feb 26, 18 8:47 PM
Here is the first answer posted to that thread:

dfkdkfl_1960 wrote:I've been playing this game since the beginning and haven't spent a penny. just need to play.the game has changed and has become much easier than it was in the beginning.not all at once you can get and just playing gradually accumulates everything.

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Feb 26, 18 8:48 PM
My answer in that thread:
Annelliegram wrote:This is an HOS game....which means you visit the scenes to find the items listed.....as you do this, you level up within the HOS, so that your coins earned increases until you max out the scene and get 50 coins per each completion from then on.

To make is more fun.....the Devs have added ways to "level up" in the game .... so, you do character quests along with your HOS visits and end up spending tons of coins, but advance in the levels.......periodically, there are new HOSs and ZZs added to the game and areas of the map made available....this, too is to help with the monotony of visiting the scenes regularly.

Those of us who are maxed in the game didn't get there over night.....we have spent many hours over many months visiting those HOSs over, and over, and over, and over again.

Over half of my friends are also at the max level, so it very definitely is possible to advance in the game.

That said, it is not a game for everyone.....if a person simply gets too bored by visiting the same scenes over and over and over, then....perhaps it is time to find another game that offers more interest.

The Devs have done a marvelous job with the artwork and game development on this game. Other players have written and shared many helps/tricks/lists (most of which are attached to the Helpful Links for Midnight Castle) that will assist others with building a strategy for playing the game.

And as dfkdfl_1960 has already stated......the game has become incredibly more easy for players than it was when the game first came out.

All this for free......no "lives" lost or being timed out because you "ran out of energy" ..... literally as many hours of play as you care to or can invest....What a bargain!!!

Bagpuss22
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by Bagpuss22 on Feb 26, 18 10:06 PM
I tend to agree with Kyothecat on this one.
I've been playing for about 3 years now & I'm half way through level 79. I don't think I would be that far advanced in the game if I didn't buy diamonds (spending about $10 per month on diamonds, but never buy gold coins, on principle.)
I made a lot of stuff (coins, & items etc) in the Winter event, mainly through the 2nd Christmas rooms, which allowed me to progress from level 76, which was great, as it cost nothing. The castle challenge was also good & I played it to the end& also did well out of that. Also played the DQs.
However, the latest Castle challenge is far too expensive for me in terms of inventory items & airship items, to get an avatar, which I don't really need. So I don't play it. Neither do I play most of the DQs because of the time it takes to do most of them if you don't use amulets or diamonds. Unlike Anelliegram, I will not spend the hour between HOS openings by doing the rounds. I haven't got the patience to do that very often & only do it occasionally, when I feel like it. I also occasionally go mad & spend 100 amulets to get me through a long DQ.
So, here we are. At the moment, I'm gifting friends & playing the wheel every day. Occasionally doing a DQ or crafting a couple of items to sell to keep the gold levels up. I never go below 70,000 coins, 100 of each airship item & 20 of each pet food. I accept Trina's quests, but don't actively play them: just wait for my playing of the rest of the game to complete them, but then I don't care that much about decorating my private rooms.
That's it, except to add that I enjoy playing this game, as it's the best ever! I shall continue to the end!

kkreisman
Clownfish
Clownfish
535 Posts

[Post New]by kkreisman on Feb 26, 18 10:24 PM
Bagpuss and Kyothecae, that's what so beautiful about this game. I've been playing since the beginning, and try to do at least 1 round of HO scenes each day, but sometimes the thought of just "doing the round" again makes me , so I just don't do it. Nevertheless, I've managed to finish each CC, each mini-event, each Spring, Fall and Christmas Event offered, and reach 2,000,000 plus gold coins (twice) WITHOUT SPENDING ANY REAL MONEY. When I get bored, I just do my gifting, read the forum, and if I'm getting low, do the puzzles for diamonds, leave the game, and do something else, either another game I've bought along the way, or (YUCK) housework, etc.

You don't have to do anything you don't want in this game, and you don't have to spend money. The only secret to this game is patience, and a real gratitude to the Devs for giving us such beautful artwork, a real storyline, and primarily, the chance to interact with others around the world. Personally, I hope it never ends.

Thankful for the Castle
katiek

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Feb 27, 18 1:34 AM
As has been stated above and by smartsquid on the other thread, the game is much easier to play now than in the beginning. I have not spent much money on the game, in the beginning I bought a few diamonds, since then zilch.

Two years ago when I was trying to level up, I challenged myself to make double the amount of coin I needed to make to open up the next ZZ or HOS or to craft an item. I found my coins slowly crept up and up 'til I had reached over 500,000, then 750,000 so it can be done. I was there in the beginning when the daily bonuses were less, no special airship items, no daily quests, no ccs, no seasonal events and no puzzles. The game is certainly much easier these days.

Firedragon13
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by Firedragon13 on Feb 27, 18 7:49 AM
Every one has made good points.... especially this game will give you what you need. Play the HOS over and over!! There are times I tell friends I am building inventory, spend my time only doing HOS over and over. Some days I am play only a few minutes. Other I can spent an hour or more. When Inventory is built up to where I am comfortabe I will gift friends only and keep doing HOS.

I have done some CC. Do Daily quests when I wish. I am not one that has to do all the Achievements!!!!

I play this game for fun and relaxation... I have bought diamonds once at the beginning, but then found this forum and learned some tricks and the if I do HOS. This game will provide.
Somestimes I feel guilty not buying something because this is such a wonderful game and I am sure it takes a lot to keep producing such great graphics and challenges.
But retired and on a fixed income I hesitate!!

To restate what has been said in different areas of the form before,,,, never let you money, stamps, diamonds,and pet food go to “ZERO”

Take your time and enjoy the game...this is not. Race!

bcrevers
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by bcrevers on Feb 27, 18 5:33 PM
Started the game a long time ago, I found when waiting g for the next update that if I did the do I d's faithfully, I would begin to accumulate items, medallions and coins. When my device died and y game was not able to be restored, I had almost 2 million in coins. Starting over at level one was a very different experience. I had to plan and save for each HOS, and ,lol zone that needed opening. I patiently kept playing and was fortunate that I started near the spring event. If you are patient you can play the game without an outlay of cash. The events can place you ahead in terms of coins, gems and items. Instant gratification is not what this game will give. Now I am waiting for The next update and have 300,000 in coins. I intend to keep playing and eventually, maybe, quality for the millionaires club once again

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Feb 27, 18 5:42 PM
Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this feedback. While the Moderation Team isn't involved in making changes to the game, it's important to us to advocate for our players. I'll pass along these messages to the appropriate teams.

If any other concerns arise, please PM me or another moderator. We'll be happy to help.

bfgBeruna

LynnNfld
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by LynnNfld on Feb 27, 18 5:52 PM
kkreisman wrote:Bagpuss and Kyothecae, that's what so beautiful about this game. I've been playing since the beginning, and try to do at least 1 round of HO scenes each day, but sometimes the thought of just "doing the round" again makes me , so I just don't do it. Nevertheless, I've managed to finish each CC, each mini-event, each Spring, Fall and Christmas Event offered, and reach 2,000,000 plus gold coins (twice) WITHOUT SPENDING ANY REAL MONEY. When I get bored, I just do my gifting, read the forum, and if I'm getting low, do the puzzles for diamonds, leave the game, and do something else, either another game I've bought along the way, or (YUCK) housework, etc.

You don't have to do anything you don't want in this game, and you don't have to spend money. The only secret to this game is patience, and a real gratitude to the Devs for giving us such beautful artwork, a real storyline, and primarily, the chance to interact with others around the world. Personally, I hope it never ends.

Thankful for the Castle
katiek

LynnNfld
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by LynnNfld on Feb 27, 18 6:16 PM
I, too, thought the same thing. But, I have only once bought diamonds during a sale, and I am at level 84 and have nearly 4 million coin and 6200 diamonds, plus scads of other stuff .Persevere, and don't be in a hurry, you'll get there (but it can get a bit boring when you are at the top level, waiting for an update). By the way, you always get 50 coin for an HOS, sometimes they add 15 when you don't get inventory. So keep plugging away at the HOS, and during an event, do all the stuff in your rooms over and over. Increase your friend list, you can get lots of valuable stuff from reciprocal friends. If you give back, many people will help you out. There has developed a rare camaraderie in this game among folks who know nothing beyond game names of others. Some have taken it a bit further and actually correspond with their team mates. I have had conversations with several interesting women from afar. So, just enjoy the game, it's not going anywhere. Remember, free to play.

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Feb 27, 18 10:24 PM
You actually only get the 50 coins for every HOS once they are all leveled up to need you to find 22 items and are at the maximum.

It starts of with 10, 11, 13, 15, 20, 30 and then 50. Just so that new players don't think they are being shortchanged. My book with the details is in another room at present and I am just about to leave home. Will try to remember to edit this tomorrow.

12earth45
Clownfish
Clownfish
885 Posts

[Post New]by 12earth45 on Feb 27, 18 11:08 PM
Doing the HOS rounds is the best way to accumulate most items needed.

I have other short games to play when a need a mini break from MC.
Mahjong,match 3, brain games.

But always lured back to MC. Paid in the beginning for deals on diamonds for $1.99 x 2 when offered.

Only pay in now, very rarely, to support the game, select advertisements to support game also.

I love that you can play this game anyway you want!
Some have left a year and came back. Others play every day.
The forum is the best for help and tips. Very friendly too

Keep with it for a bit to figure best way for you to enjoy this wonderful game!

Crystal;P

susiewastaken
Salmon
Salmon
2,847 Posts

[Post New]by susiewastaken on Feb 28, 18 12:47 AM
The developers gave us a fabulous surprise with the recent Christmas Room #2 during the last Winter Event. Many players concentrated on doing those special private rooms and got tons of extra coins.

I have played this game for years...about 3 or 4 months since it first came out...and am one of many who proudly haven't paid a penny in real money to play.

Having a LOT of generous game friends to trade with is a very big part of the game as well.

Midnight Castle takes some patience to play at times, but IMO is still the very best FTP game ever.

Luckypool
Clownfish
Clownfish
607 Posts

[Post New]by Luckypool on Feb 28, 18 1:00 AM
LynnNfld wrote:I, too, thought the same thing. But, I have only once bought diamonds during a sale, and I am at level 84 and have nearly 4 million coin and 6200 diamonds, plus scads of other stuff .Persevere, and don't be in a hurry, you'll get there (but it can get a bit boring when you are at the top level, waiting for an update). By the way, you always get 50 coin for an HOS, sometimes they add 15 when you don't get inventory. So keep plugging away at the HOS, and during an event, do all the stuff in your rooms over and over. Increase your friend list, you can get lots of valuable stuff from reciprocal friends. If you give back, many people will help you out. There has developed a rare camaraderie in this game among folks who know nothing beyond game names of others. Some have taken it a bit further and actually correspond with their team mates. I have had conversations with several interesting women from afar. So, just enjoy the game, it's not going anywhere. Remember, free to play.

I am in awe at how you have accumulated 6200 diamonds!! Whenever I am lucky enough to get some from the jigsaws, I cannot help myself but trade them in for a needed inventory piece or two so am always back to square one! I guess with that many diamonds you could choose to not do HOS for ages and just trade in, which takes the spirit out of playing??
I really struggle to support CC, DQ, Airship and Prof Pin, so I am choosing to just do Professor Pin at the moment and it takes away the endlessness of it, and makes the game far more enjoyable (for me). I love reading about all the different ways gamers play. I tend to use as I go, and have even had to sell my entire inventory to raise 8000 coins to progress!!
If it wasn't for my fabberless friends though, I would seriously struggle for those pesky white stamps. Luckily I gift all my Airship stuff as not feeding that ship anymore!

dfkdkfl_1960
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by dfkdkfl_1960 on Feb 28, 18 1:23 AM
I know from my game that at the middle levels it is very hard to accumulate coins and diamonds and stamps especially white.I know this from my second game on level 61.I spent 35,000 diamonds to achieve 3. 5. 10 daily tasks in the first game on 84 level. I fulfilled these achievements more than a year ago.and during this time I again nakpil 36 000 diamonds and got 31 000 000 coins. so really to make savings but it spent a lot of time in the game.if you can not spend a lot of time you have to prepare for the long game.

Czoe
Herring
Herring
334 Posts

[Post New]by Czoe on Feb 28, 18 1:47 AM
Regarding the difficulty of getting white stamps: They are waaay easy to get, if you follow the advice of the masters (I did). Not crafting at all during the last, my first, Spring Event, they fell frequently, until I had what I thought was a huge stash of 50 or so.

Do not use them to craft until you have at least 10 (some say 20) more than you need. I know, this requires patience. After you use them to craft, do the same.

They will fall so frequently that you will be astounded... keep upping the amount accumulated before you craft, and soon, you will be able to gift them to friends!

Go to: