Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Demon Hunter 4: Riddles of Light Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 27, 18 1:52 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 02/27/2018 at 8:31:28 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Demon Hunter 4: Riddles of Light Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nanafraser on Feb 27, 18 6:16 AM
Not a bad game! I purchased it, but too soon to give too much info on it! Demo gives enough to know if one will like it or not! But wow for a CE its short 5 chapters counting bonus one! Oh well this the direction games are going now!

Edited on 02/27/2018 at 6:36:02 AM PST

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Demon Hunter 4: Riddles of Light Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Feb 27, 18 8:09 AM
nanafraser wrote:Not a bad game! I purchased it, but too soon to give too much info on it! Demo gives enough to know if one will like it or not! But wow for a CE its short 5 chapters counting bonus one! Oh well this the direction games are going now!

Unfortunately Less is More nowadays (and those chapters aren't very bulky either)

suniris
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

[Post New]by suniris on Feb 27, 18 8:11 AM
Maybe it's just me but, I find no guide book, find stars and only one diamond. also looks short Not a great CE

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Feb 27, 18 8:18 AM
suniris wrote:Maybe it's just me but, I find no guide book, find stars and only one diamond. also looks short Not a great CE

The only way I found to get to the SG was by clicking on menu, and then on guide...kind of a pain. There are 33 collectible Stars, but only 4 collectible Diamonds, and there are 4 chapters + BC, but the chapters themselves appear to be short.

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Feb 27, 18 8:31 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread for Demon Hunter 4: Riddles of Light Collector's Edition! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on this game here. There are just a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Demon Hunter 4: Riddles of Light Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. Also, remember that moderators will remove any content that isn’t a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators. We'll be happy to assist in any way we can.

bfgArinelle

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Feb 27, 18 8:34 AM
@BorisDr

(I know you always drop by to discuss your new games)

I'm a huge fan of the Demon Hunter series, and I own all of them. I purchased this game sight unseen because I was sure this would be another creepy addition to the series. After playing the demo, I've gotta tell you, I'm disappointed

The game itself would be an awesome "new" series edition , especially if it stuck to the Egyptian theme, which for some odd reason, isn't utilized often enough. But as for being the 4th Demon Hunter game, it just doesn't work. I'm not a paranormal investigator, there's no familiar characters, the graphics aren't the same, what exactly does this game have to do with the other 3?

You mentioned the last time that you had some games coming down the pike that would be creepy wicked good, and I really thought this game would fit the bill, but it's not creepy, it's bright and cheery with the exception of a few foggy evil spirits. I'm still on board the Brave Giant game train, but I don't want my beloved Demon Hunter series to go off the rails

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Feb 27, 18 8:44 AM
I'm on the fence with this one. I've only played about 30 minutes of the demo. Hmm - so far, not overly exciting. I finally did find the SG in the Menu - was quite disappointed that the developer locked the "Collectibles" - in the review on the game page, the reviewer mentioned morphing items in the HOP scenes - I've done 2 of them to this point, was not able to find any morphing objects & of course, with the "Collectibles", one cannot tell where they might be.

Disappointing.

mcquigan
Clownfish
Clownfish
726 Posts

[Post New]by mcquigan on Feb 27, 18 8:57 AM
Based on demo:

I would give it three stars, it is another lazy brain game; It's okay, that's it.

I keep hoping for something different but this is not it.

There's nothing new or earth shattering that I saw. You will rescue your aunt, you will wear a gauntlet to give you special powers; you will of course save the world.

Puzzles seemed pretty easy. On one I randomly clicked a tile and viola, it was done.

Everything you need is within a click or two so there is no looking around and figuring things out.

Yes, graphics are okay, and I had no technical difficulties.

This is 2018 folks, all graphics should be okay and not even a subject of conversation anymore unless they are outstanding.

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Feb 27, 18 9:07 AM
mcquigan wrote:Based on demo:

This is 2018 folks, all graphics should be okay and not even a subject of conversation anymore unless they are outstanding.

You are so right. But there still seems to be some blurry ones out there. Even when all the gamers want good graphics. Maybe all the blurry ones are from 2017 and back. I was trying to think of a blurry one this year and I'm drawing a blank.

Wait a minute. I get it now. I just trialed this game and this one is blurry in the background when someone is speaking.

Edited on 02/28/2018 at 8:40:10 AM PST

WhiteladiesRd
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by WhiteladiesRd on Feb 27, 18 10:04 AM
Pleasant surprise!
What first looks like a motif that has been used over and over and over again, turns out to be a delightful, at times slightly creepy, journey through Ancient Egypt.
I'm in no hurry to free Auntie Dawn, who has been abducted by a demon, hoping he will take her to many more places.
Absolutely beautiful scenery, fantastic atmosphere, very fitting tunes, great HO's with morphing objects (indicated in a different color), terrific details and great varieties, puzzles no overly difficult, but very entertaining.

I'm enjoying it!

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Feb 27, 18 11:57 AM
judy76073 wrote:I'm on the fence with this one. I've only played about 30 minutes of the demo. Hmm - so far, not overly exciting. I finally did find the SG in the Menu - was quite disappointed that the developer locked the "Collectibles" - in the review on the game page, the reviewer mentioned morphing items in the HOP scenes - I've done 2 of them to this point, was not able to find any morphing objects & of course, with the "Collectibles", one cannot tell where they might be.

Disappointing.

If you finished the HOP's you did actually find the morph. One of the items to find within each HOP, morphs, you can only click on it when it's in the form of whatever the inventory list or picture calls for. You probably clicked on the item at just the right time before it had a chance to morph

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Feb 27, 18 12:01 PM
pennmom36 wrote:
judy76073 wrote:I'm on the fence with this one. I've only played about 30 minutes of the demo. Hmm - so far, not overly exciting. I finally did find the SG in the Menu - was quite disappointed that the developer locked the "Collectibles" - in the review on the game page, the reviewer mentioned morphing items in the HOP scenes - I've done 2 of them to this point, was not able to find any morphing objects & of course, with the "Collectibles", one cannot tell where they might be.

Disappointing.

If you finished the HOP's you did actually find the morph. One of the items to find within each HOP, morphs, you can only click on it when it's in the form of whatever the inventory list or picture calls for. You probably clicked on the item at just the right time before it had a chance to morph

Thanks !! never thought of that. much appreciated !

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Feb 27, 18 12:21 PM
mcquigan wrote: This is 2018 folks, all graphics should be okay and not even a subject of conversation anymore unless they are outstanding.

Excellent statement....I'd like to add that because this is 2018, I'd actually love to see a game that takes place at a minimum in 2018....just once...surely that's not too much to ask for is it?

Well, I guess I'd like the game to also NOT include the use of a portal!
-or the use of a paperclip
-or the use of mortar & pestle
-or the use of oil/anti rust spray
-or the use of a bee fogger
-or the use of a chisel & rock
-or the use of flint & steel
-or the use of food to a wild animal in exchange for a hoarded item
-or the use of a pair of gloves to access live electrical wires
-or the use of quill & ink
-or the use of a net to scoop out an item in the pond
-or a pair of tweezers to get something unstuck
Apparently I am asking too much, the list got pretty long!

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Feb 27, 18 1:48 PM
Attractive graphics...conducive to the Egyptian atmosphere. Game play was slow (short demo) with some mundane tasks to complete. There aren't an overwhelming amount of puzzles, however I have come across some that cannot be skipped. Doesn't matter how easy some may think they are, there should be a skip for them. This is a definite deterrent to my buying any game. Some puzzles there was a skip available, so I don't think it was my settings. It appears to be that developers want to decide what you can skip and what you cannot in this game....at least from my completing this demo.

Also want to mention that you have to access the SG by going to the Menu options, which is very inconvenient. What were they thinking about? They weren't....

There was a fair amount of hos...nice graphics, but it was hard to find some items because they were so obscured. Enjoyed seeing some hos in a demo for a change, even if items were difficult to find.

Stated in the Extras you can replay hos and mini games, but withheld the amount until you buy, which I think is a tricky game in itself. I like to know what I am getting in a CE, don't you?

All I could see for collectibles were stars...you have some morphing objects that I saw in the hos, which I don't care for because it just takes more time to complete the hos and slows you up. Otherwise, except for the bonus chapter, I don't see where this is CE worthy at all and will wait to see a walkthrough when the SE comes out.

Edited on 02/27/2018 at 2:34:24 PM PST

charlene_lane
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by charlene_lane on Feb 27, 18 4:10 PM
Well, even though the reviews here are quite scathing, I'm still going to buy the game for this weekend. I'm a huge fan of Brave Giant and I want to support them. I'm just playing the Mystery of the Anchients game at the moment and really enjoying it, so will get to this game asap.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 27, 18 4:12 PM
pennmom36 wrote:
Well, I guess I'd like the game to also NOT include the use of a portal!
-or the use of a paperclip
-or the use of mortar & pestle
-or the use of oil/anti rust spray
-or the use of a bee fogger
-or the use of a chisel & rock
-or the use of flint & steel
-or the use of food to a wild animal in exchange for a hoarded item
-or the use of a pair of gloves to access live electrical wires
-or the use of quill & ink
-or the use of a net to scoop out an item in the pond
-or a pair of tweezers to get something unstuck

- or a tape recorder
- or a hand-cranked phonograph
- or a skeleton key
- or an instant camera
- or a wind-up mouse

... but then there would be nothing left to use - except a feather duster!

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Feb 27, 18 4:33 PM
...or an improvised fishing pole (3 pieces), a broken pliers (3 pieces), etc. etc. etc.

Unfortunately, most HOPA games would be about an hour long at that point.

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Feb 27, 18 5:17 PM
loving some of the comments made. I quite agree - some of the put-together items are getting "old-hat" - how many times does one have to put these same items together. I am not saying I don't like HOPA games - they are my favorite games to play.

I sure do miss a lot of the extra's that the developers used to put into the HOPA games - collectibles, morphing objects, cards, notes, etc, etc - so that one had to really search each scene for the "extra".

Now it seems the collectible items are fewer and farther between and the other "peeve" I have is that many of the developers do not allow for being able to get the extra items that may have been missed during game play. I suppose they expect one to replay the game immediately after finishing in order to find the several items one may have missed.

oh well. I will wait to see what Thursday's CE game brings.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Feb 27, 18 5:22 PM
@steve_san: aww man I totally forgot about those items...and @nextgengranny has been trying to get rid of those broken pliers all day lol.

...and she's right, it would be a very short game, but I'm sure it would be filled in with some HOP's with

-a feather/quill, with or without ink pot
-a bell, big bells, little bells, with handles, without handles, with or without clappers
-an arrow/with the above mentioned feathers or the pointy arrow kind
-a wolf/owl/elephant/dog/cat/lion/bird and the occasional pig figurine
-a statuette/figurine
-a lock, the rustier the better
-a chess piece...all of them
-a lightning bolt
-a chalice/mug/cup
-a ball, baseballs, soccer balls, tennis balls, bouncy balls but rarely a football
-a picture with or without frames, if without of course you'll need to place it within
-a phone/receiver, antique, black, sometimes within the phonebooth, always red
-a teddy bear/doll/princess/clown which always needs sewn and/or de-sewn
-a shoe/boot/heels/usually missing it's mate and/or shoelace
-a knife/sword/spear, with or without a sheath and/or hilt
- a dart with or without a board and/or requirement to shoot dart into
-a safety pin/paper clip/hair pin always used to pick a lock
-a comb/brush
-a pen/pencil/chalk may need sharpened and/or used to complete a heart/yin-yang
-a newspaper/paper
-a key/lockpick usually used to open a small locked box containing the last coveted item
-a shovel/trowel/rake
-a wrench/ nextgengranny's broken pliers/hedge trimmers, always dull and/or rusted
-a pair of scissors sometimes requiring other half
-a whetstone
-an eyeball/eyeballs

did I miss anything?

Go to: