bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Making Mr. Right

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 1, 10 1:46 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Making Mr. Right? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Making Mr. Right

[Post New]by Imberis on Jul 1, 10 2:02 AM
I love time management games, but I can't get into this one. The whole concept of the game kind of creeps me out. You "fix" men so that they can get with the woman they want. They want to learn to dance or paint or whatever so that the woman they want will like them. After the men have learned the skill, they go on a date with that woman, and you get paid when it goes well. Yikes.

Aside from the creepy theme, the game has nice graphics, especially for a time management game. (Lots of them aren't very pleasing to the eye, even with great gameplay!) The mechanics work well. You click on the men, drag them to the appropriate "skill station," let them learn the skill, then drag them to the date table. As the game progresses, you have to buy new skill stations for the men.

I think if the developer had gone with a different theme, it could be an interesting game. As it is, I find it way too strange, but some people might really like the gameplay.

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on Jul 1, 10 2:29 AM
I have never been for the 'Time Management' genre of gaming; in fact, I'm strictly a HOGer. Are 'Time Management' games as interesting as HOG's and, if so, what would be a good 'starter' game for a novice to play? Also, I would LOOOOVE to be able to do the 'Large File' type adventure games, but I just do NOT have the logic to know where to go or what to do next when playing those types of games. If anyone remembers the old Leisure Suit Larry games of the 80's, that's where I first learned of this gaming type but, again, could never figure out what to have that pathetic wanna be playboy do next (and, to add injury to this cripple, they didn't have walkthrough wheelchairs to help ya out). Oh, whoa is me to be born logic challenged!!!

[Post New]by missillusioned on Jul 1, 10 2:42 AM
I posted my comment in the other post but I agree. I really couldn't get into this game, although I find a couple of minor gameplay issues for me. Like not being able to see clearly where I could and couldn't build/place things and the time delay in placing the men at the "dating table".
Also there weren't enough datign tables to fufil the guys I needed to palce there.. not sure if more open up later on or not.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jul 1, 10 2:58 AM
This developer thought it was a good idea to combine Build a lot and Sally's Spa which are both good games but this brainwave was not pulled off very well.

You are doing research for a book so decide to build a community of single men and train them to find their perfect match.
You are given goals each level which consists of providing housing areas for the men which you can add recreaton and decorations and the Salon where you have to train them in skills. In between there is a lame match 3 game where you can earn upgrades.

When the men come in the salon, you click on them- they think of their dream girl and their throught bubble shows the skills they need to win her over. So if one of the men needs dancing skill, you have to buy a dancing station, place him in there until he is trained- when he is trained you pick him up and place him at the dating table at the back where the girl magically appears- and then get paid for making a match. After you train them all you go back to the community and these girls have moved in with these losers- as time goes by the fall more in love and then put out wedding invitations.

Each level you have to buy the equipment all over again which is annoying- even more annoying is that these women bring these bozo's back for more training.

If the men fail there training they get mad and leave, but never mind as they just come back next session- no skill at all seems required for this game- I got gold cups without any effort.

The graphics are not very good either.
I give this game 2 stars!

[Post New]by Kitty221 on Jul 1, 10 5:29 AM
[b]I am having a huge issue seeing where to put things in the studio, it's says click on pop up to place like the dance floor and nothing works and don't see anything to click so not too happy with this one at the moment

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 1, 10 6:06 AM
I want to give this game a fair shot and see what it is really. But I'm only half way thru the demo so far. So far I've only been able to stomach one round at a time lol.

The topic is a provocative one - I real life, I'm in a relationship that is stable but stagnant, just because I don't have the energy or know-how to "train" this guy. (He's housebroken, but I can't seem to get him interested in playing fetch .) So I'm open to learning some things or at least running my brain around them. But I'm pretty sure sending him to art class, the gym, and dance class ain't gonna do much lol.

Edited on 07/01/2010 at 3:49:18 PM PST

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Jul 1, 10 8:15 AM
They're kidding...right? Someone created a game about training men in certain skills to become a right match for the lady they want to date? And she brings him back for more training?

That's a goooood boy! Now sit...staaaay!

The whole concept of this is appalling to me! And yes, I am a woman, not a guy making a stink. To be honest, they should be upset by this.

If it were the other way around and it was a game about men training women, there would be an uproar.

(No, this isn't a review,,,but it is definitely a comment)

[Post New]by turbov on Jul 1, 10 8:47 AM
is anyone actually enjoying this game?
not finding it fun at all

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jul 1, 10 8:59 AM
rhonayotte wrote:
If it were the other way around and it was a game about men training women, there would be an uproar.

I"m old enough to remember when women were actually trained for men. It was called "charm school" or "Finishing school".
Glad those days are gone!

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jul 1, 10 9:04 AM
turbov wrote:is anyone actually enjoying this game?
not finding it fun at all

Well it is not a very good game. The theme aside, the game play is boring.

Lisee213
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by Lisee213 on Jul 1, 10 9:24 AM
This game is a bit of an oddity for me.

Gameplay wise, it was quite easy, maybe even a little too easy. Got gold cups with little to no effort. I did find it a little annoying a) continually re-buying the same equipment and b) placing the equipment could be a little difficult.

I agree that if this game were about "fixing" women, there would be big problems with it. I found this game mildly amusing in that someone was actually ballsy enough to release a game with this theme on what is (more or less) a fairly reserved, mostly politically correct gaming site.

It would be easy to say this game is insulting to men, which it is really by insinuating the men need to be "trained" or "fixed" to make them eligible. But it is, from my point of view at leat, more insulting to women since it also implies that they're really all very shallow and that their love is based on a man's skill set, house or nearby amenities, and not any real substance like personality, attraction etc.

I'm a little unsure who their target audience is. I'm not sure that many men I know would actually play this game as it's somewhat insulting to them, yet the "love tips" on the in between story pages seemed to be aimed primarily at men.

To be fair, maybe it could have had women also coming in for love training. Also instead of having women bring their men back for further training, how about a couples dance class or cooking? You know, a shared activity that they could enjoy together...

It maybe could have also been made more interesting if they introduced some randomness in it i.e., even though the person was trained, the date didn't go well, or instead of getting married, he became single again. Or even something like he thought he needed the dance skill, but really he needed the handyman skill...?

Maybe it could have been nicer if there were self improvement workshops instead of skill i.e. communication, self esteem, confidence, flirting etc

At any rate, whatever your feelings towards it, it is just a game. The concept was mildly amusing for me, though the gameplay was not entertaining enough to buy it I don't think.

paula3522
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by paula3522 on Jul 1, 10 10:23 AM
Robsim wrote:I have never been for the 'Time Management' genre of gaming; in fact, I'm strictly a HOGer. Are 'Time Management' games as interesting as HOG's and, if so, what would be a good 'starter' game for a novice to play? Also, I would LOOOOVE to be able to do the 'Large File' type adventure games, but I just do NOT have the logic to know where to go or what to do next when playing those types of games. If anyone remembers the old Leisure Suit Larry games of the 80's, that's where I first learned of this gaming type but, again, could never figure out what to have that pathetic wanna be playboy do next (and, to add injury to this cripple, they didn't have walkthrough wheelchairs to help ya out). Oh, whoa is me to be born logic challenged!!!

I am too a huge hog fan but I have gotten Royal Envoy and I love it . I have tried others but it is the only one I truly liked. I have played it several times thru. I had to get the strategy guide but you don't have to you just dont get the stars and trophies for completion. No biggie it is still alot of fun to me

[Post New]by KitchenTable on Jul 1, 10 10:32 AM
I'm not overly outraged by the theme, though I do think that any right-minded guy would object to being brought back for more "training"! My objection is to the gameplay, specifically, to the lengthy intervals required for the men's "love meters" to fill before they get married. The game suggests that you visit and revisit the gift shop while waiting; this is a tepid match-three game. I found the wait a waste of time, and, while I did enjoy the TM action in the studio, I'm not yet sure I'll buy the game because of the waiting. TM fans like action, not killing time while meters fill!

P.S. I also found it tiresome that equipment has to be replaced every time you open the studio. How does that reflect real life? If I buy a treadmill, I expect it to be there the next morning!

Edited on 07/01/2010 at 10:43:25 AM PST

JumpingGen
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by JumpingGen on Jul 1, 10 10:41 AM
I love TM games, but this one is . . . . well, just kinda weird.

The gameplay is mediocre - it combines Build-a-Lot style, Time Management and a weird Match-3 mini-game. The Time Management part is not fast-paced at all, so it's fairly boring. The Build-a-Lot part is lame because you have more than enough money to just build everything you need at once -- there's no challenge to it.

The graphics are OK but I found the animation to be stilted and uninteresting.

And overall, I just couldn't get over the fact that it's a creepy concept that you're a 'love doctor' who is out there having men move into your little community so you can train them. Strange.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jul 1, 10 10:57 AM
rhonayotte wrote:
That's a goooood boy! Now sit...staaaay!

LOL!!! I like it!

If you would be a "survivor" of The Sims or The Sims 2, you would understand the "serious" build of the relationships - according the astrology sign, the interests, the inclinations, and the hobbies - you have to choose the right "training" of the male/female, in order to make him/her fit the other gender, and create a perfect couple...

Personally, I always hated this side of the sims... But it sounds interesting, and I may try the demo, just to get an impression.

ggxgp
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by ggxgp on Jul 1, 10 12:08 PM
Robsim wrote:I have never been for the 'Time Management' genre of gaming; in fact, I'm strictly a HOGer. Are 'Time Management' games as interesting as HOG's and, if so, what would be a good 'starter' game for a novice to play? Also, I would LOOOOVE to be able to do the 'Large File' type adventure games, but I just do NOT have the logic to know where to go or what to do next when playing those types of games. If anyone remembers the old Leisure Suit Larry games of the 80's, that's where I first learned of this gaming type but, again, could never figure out what to have that pathetic wanna be playboy do next (and, to add injury to this cripple, they didn't have walkthrough wheelchairs to help ya out). Oh, whoa is me to be born logic challenged!!!

Robism, I love the Adventure type games, but I too am not that good at discovering the next step. With the help of walk throughs and the wonderful fishes in the forums I have completed several and have had a very enjoyable time and feeling of accomplishment at their completion. I can only hope that my skills will improve as I continue to play and I can return the favor by being a help to others in the future. Happy gaming.

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Jul 1, 10 12:11 PM
Was so pleased to finally see a TM game again. But, as others already posted - this is just too weird. The concept of men training in dancing etc. in itself is still okay. But them living in a colony for their training? Weird. The gameplay was not entertaining, I just couldn't get into it, found it too hectic (I don't mind hectic if it's fun and challenging, but this was just hectic).

Also, too many different game styles for me - building + moving customers from station to station + Match 3 minigame. A lot thrown in but none of it is convincing enough.

Still, I was willing to stick it out for a while and see whether it gets any better, but when I read the sentence "When a man is fully trained..." that was it. When a man is fully trained?!

(I'm a woman, by the way).

Edited on 07/01/2010 at 1:03:25 PM PST

Cute theme, but game is too long

[Post New]by Fichlet on Jul 1, 10 12:58 PM
I wasn't bothered by the theme, and I wonder why would so many men here make a big fuss out of a simple game. We're supposed to have fun playing it after all! The Mr Right tips also had a lot of empowering advice for men like "be yourself" and even selfish advice like "love yourself" . And the cut scenes always showed women standing behind the men but I didn't see any girls complaining about that lol!

My complaint though was that it got too boring after a while and no cheats are apparently available anywhere

Edited on 07/01/2010 at 1:01:00 PM PST

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Jul 1, 10 1:00 PM

You might want to try Plants vs Zombies. It's not exactly a TM but it's certainly fun and gets you used to taking items and placing them quickly where they need to go.

As far as TMs go, I'm not a big fan of them but I do like some of the building games. Ones like the Build-A-Lot series or the Westward series (especially Westward IV) or Wonderburg. And there is Life Quest if you want to play a type of SIM game.

For an introduction to the style of LFAs, you might want to try Anka or Avenue Flo or Great Adventure. They combine HOGs with an easy adventure game. They aren't strictly LFAs, but certainly a good introduction to the style and you can get a demo to see if you like them.

There is also the Nancy Drew series. There are 2 of them that are much easier than the others - Resorting to Danger and Lights, Camera, Curses are both HOG style games with LFA aspirations.

Personally, I never feel bad if I need a walkthrough. I only use them to give me a nudge in the right direction and, after all, that's what they are there for. Someone goes to a lot of trouble to make them so it would be mean of me not to use them!

PS: Sorry to be off-topic here but since the game is so unimpressive (IMO) I had some time to kill!

Go to: