Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Wanderlust: What Lies Beneath Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Mar 1, 18 12:36 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 03/01/2018 at 7:47:25 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Wanderlust: What Lies Beneath Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nanafraser on Mar 1, 18 2:47 AM
Its a adventure, what made me purchase it besides I'm sick of my old games I got the sale price code HUGE for yesterday, I'm a sucker for a deal! & I live in California gotta get it early! I like Mad Head so hoping its good!

yvonnehoho
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Wanderlust: What Lies Beneath Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by yvonnehoho on Mar 1, 18 2:52 AM
worked for me too, HUGE
glad I read the tip

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Mar 1, 18 5:24 AM
I've always been a fan of Mad Head games, although lately they seem to be veering down the path trodden by so many of their fellow developers; lets bring out tons of games and never mind the quality, grab the cash. However, this game is much better. I like the story and the characters so far seem mostly likeable; even the bossy sister becomes more pleasant as the demo wears on.

The Mayan theme is one that draws me in (as does anything Egyptian), so i was bound to like the scenery; it's quite beautifully done, with lush colours and attention to detail. The voices were, as usual, mostly American but can be excused for what seems like a modern day adventure. Others will outline the plot, so I won't; suffice to say there are good and bad characters but not one of them wore a hood or had red glowing eyes! I didn't come across anything remotely demonic which will be a relief to many.

As usual, Mad Head employ their lazy excuse for collectibles; time to get rid of that obvious symbol and think of something more original. And they are the only developer that still uses a 'x' when you wrongly click on something

If you're looking for a lot of HOS, you won't find them in this game. It is very puzzle-heavy; in the demo there were perhaps 3 hidden object searches and 3 times as many puzzles. One of them I didn't understand but otherwise most were pretty simple. The game has 5 modes of play inc. custom, the map transports and shows tasks. There are only 4 chapters but I was still in the first chapter when the game resumed after the demo. Extras include the bonus chapter, achievements, replay of HOS and something called an 'Ultimate Puzzle', which is accessed after you complete the main game.

The only downside for me was the extremely annoying 'tool bag', located in the left corner of the screen. An archaeologist confronted with sand on an artifact would know they need a soft brush but do Mad Head allow the player to choose their own tools? Of course not, because we're all too stupid to realise that a glyph might need a translation manual. So when we come across something that requires a tool, the tool bag jumps up and down like a kangaroo stung by a wasp A ridiculous distraction and an insult to players who are perfectly capable of working out what tool is required, thank you.

I look forward to finding out how... ..well I won't spoil the cliff-hanger! No tech issues in the demo, which lasted 61 minutes.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Mar 1, 18 5:57 AM
just a head's up, I know a lot of you guys hate puzzle heavy HOP light games, and this one definitely falls into that category!

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Mar 1, 18 6:10 AM
pennmom36 wrote:just a head's up, I know a lot of you guys hate puzzle heavy HOP light games, and this one definitely falls into that category!

Too late, I already bought it with HUGE. It's looks like I'm in good company. At least they usually have replays on Hops and morphs in the hops.

Edited on 03/01/2018 at 7:16:45 AM PST

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Mar 1, 18 7:47 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread for Wanderlust: What Lies Beneath Collector's Edition! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on this game here. There are just a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Wanderlust: What Lies Beneath Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. Also, remember that moderators will remove any content that isn’t a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators. We'll be happy to assist in any way we can.

bfgArinelle

tophen
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by tophen on Mar 1, 18 8:41 AM
code still works at 10.30 am

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Mar 1, 18 9:11 AM
Too late for the puzzle heads up. At least there is a skip option

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Mar 1, 18 9:59 AM
Pretty much like most games offered these days. Same old ssshtuff!

I bought it because it wasn't horrible. I just reread my last sentence.. sad state of affairs to buy a game for that reason. However, the code HUGE still worked for me at 11am!

From what I saw of the demo I'll give 3 stars.

Abs

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Mar 1, 18 12:30 PM
Wanderlust What Lies Beneath is what I hope is only the beginning game in a new Sci-Fi series. You play the game as Professor Cassie Sylva currently working at a dig in Egypt when you receive a phone call from the mysterious Mr. Gate – one that might possibly change your life. Undiscovered pyramids don’t simply rise out of the earth do they? According to Mr. Gate, this is exactly what has happened in the Columbian jungle, and for you this is a mystery worth investigating. Of course, another team led by your sister Elsa is already on its way to the site so speed is of the essence. You soon find yourself on a plane to Columbia and a possible confrontation with Elsa. Find out more about sibling rivalry and the rift between Cassie and Elsa as you play this exciting new game from the genius development team at Mad Head.

There is not a lot to say about the graphics but I will mention that they are crisp and color intense. After an earlier game this week that had very sub-par graphics it is terrific to find a game where I don’t need to strain my eyes to play a HOP. If I have any complaint at all it is with the game’s Custom Mode. I think that when the developers offer a Custom Mode they should allow the gamer to set their own Hint and Skip recharge times. A custom mode implies that the gamer can choose their preferred settings rather than have a time limit that is set by the designer. The game tools include an interactive map and a field kit that has a hatchet, brush, and a translation guide.

I love everything about this game from the HOPS to the Puzzles. The HOPS are nothing new but they so very well-designed and varied in style. There is a Map/Maze HOP early in the game that is a combo HOP and Puzzle that I love. Even though there are a lot of puzzles they are not always difficult and they fit into the storyline. I’m not sure that I have ever played a HOPA game with as many puzzles as there are in What Lies Beneath but suffice it to say that it is a puzzle lover’s delight. Some of the puzzles are very easy but most of them have a moderate level of challenge.

The CE version of the game includes finding the typical Mad Head logo that is hidden in each scene. There are Morphing Objects to be found in the HOP scenes and 20 Achievements that can be earned as you play the game. Other extras include the standard Wallpapers, Concept Art, Soundtrack, Bonus Game, and Strategy Guide. Other extras include a Character Gallery, an Ultimate Puzzle, and the option to Replay 18 HOPS. Sadly there is no Replay of the Puzzles unless they are somehow incorporated into the Ultimate Puzzle that can be opened after completing the Bonus Game.

Wanderlust is one of the most terrific games I have played in a very long time and I hope that What Lies Beneath is only the first game in the series. I love Sci-fi and we get so very few games based on that theme so Wanderlust is exactly what I’ve been waiting to play. The storyline is excellent as we learn the back story of the family tragedy that separates the two siblings and the circumstance that will ultimately bring them together. Even though Wanderlust is a perfect game for me, please try the demo to see if it is a game you will enjoy. Happy Gaming!

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Mar 1, 18 1:55 PM
pennmom36 wrote:just a head's up, I know a lot of you guys hate puzzle heavy HOP light games, and this one definitely falls into that category!

Thanks very much for that info.

48 Puzzles.....18 HOS

Edited on 03/01/2018 at 2:05:35 PM PST

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Mar 1, 18 2:15 PM
@biscuitsmama

well said, I HOPe this is a continuing series too

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Mar 1, 18 4:57 PM
Played the entire demo. Graphics were somewhat cartoonish, but colorful and clear. Having a Mayan theme is refreshing and different for a change. Game play flowed easily without having to collect a million inventory items. Having to deal with so many symbols all the time got monotonous, though. There is some going back and forth, but not in excess. Some of the tasks were boring...didn't like the scene with all of the vines constantly jumping out at you. There is also a tool kit which gets "the shakes" whenever you need to use it.....rather distracting and annoying.

A couple of the HOS were artistically done....didn't care for the one with all the symbols in a forest map setting. I began clicking away because it was hard to see what you were supposed to find. The other couple, which is all there was in this demo were interactive and pleasant enough. The skip and hint adjust down to 15 seconds in Custom mode.

I do not think I have ever encountered so many puzzles in one game, and although I did complete some of them, there were just too many....one right after another. There are a total of 48 that is documented in someone else's review on the main game page... that info is not revealed to you anywhere in the Extras. The incorporation of such an excessive amount of puzzles is an obsession. It creates quite an imbalance in game play. If I wanted to do nothing but puzzles, I would buy a puzzle game. How about let's have 48 HOS instead? After all, this is supposed to be a HOG category....so it says at the left hand portion of the main game page. That apparently doesn't matter anymore.

Unless you are interested in the Bonus (which I know nothing about because I am not buying this), I did not see anything that makes this a CE worthy game. You collect symbols and there is a morph in the hos...big deal. You can replay 18 HOS, but 2 of those scenes are a repeat (I looked at them in the Extras). There is no mention of replay for the 48 puzzles that I saw. You know all the other standard extras...achievements, wallpapers...etc.

If it wasn't for all of the overwhelming amount of puzzles in this game, I would have bought it. Having one puzzle after another is not my idea of a good time...and I am not that desperate for a new game.

Edited on 03/01/2018 at 4:59:09 PM PST

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Mar 2, 18 12:13 AM
Ooh. Didn't see that little twist coming!

Even though the music was a tad grating, the scenes were beautiful, the voiceovers excellent, the storyline intriguing (normally I ignore it). There were lots of tasks and mini games which for the first time I got through each one. Not sure if that means I was invested in the game or they were easy.

This is definitely a buy for me.

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Mar 2, 18 2:29 PM

Thanks for the info, I won't even be trying this game, even w/the sale.

kandinsky
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

A LANDMARK GAME: PLAY IT AND CHERISH IT

[Post New]by kandinsky on Mar 3, 18 10:46 AM
Here is my review on sale site, to which I would add this that I am afraid that the games Mad Head does which are the most sophisticated, which seems to me (in its plot and characters) to include this one,may not sell any better than the simpler interchangeable and even trashy ones. I wish there was a way to sell quality so that it was the most profitable... anyway this:

On a stormy day here in the lower Hudson this game has been a gift!
Mad Head games has again done something I think absolutely new. In Adam Wolfe they opened a new path entirely between hardcore gaming and casual gaming. In the first Cadenza games they made a place and a music more real than one have thought developers far from New Orleans could have done. Here in the first Wanderlust games they do rather many things pretty well, creation of a colorful world of the inner earth with graphics combining strangeness and allure at times...but also something I have not seen the equal or hardly the like of...the creation of a set of five characters(a sixth appears in the bonus game) none of whom has deeply dishonorable motivation of any kind or the tiresome stupidity of wanting to (rule/destroy/transform etc) the world. Of course it is not Dostoevsky or Proust or something and of course the plot dances along the edge of the incredible but... THE CHARACTERS ARE ALL INTERESTING. Yes there is evil out there but it is not a personal evil...
The plot is in this deep sense new.
Now I dont know what will follow under the name of "Wanderelust" or using these characters, I have despaired of Cadenza and there has been no followup on Adam Wolfe. but nonetheless it is a landmark game. Play it. Cherish it!:

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Mar 3, 18 11:13 AM
Based on what I'm guessing was most of the demo (one SPOILER included):

This demo was ruined for me by a preponderance of mini-games that I would never describe as puzzles, since they consisted almost entirely of the reflex/timing & enter the given information varieties.

By the time I (SPOILER) had defeated the giant carnivorous plant, I had simply lost interest. More investment in the storyline & less in clutter would be my advice to the devs; if you don't hook me in the demo, you never will.

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Mar 3, 18 12:26 PM
so as I mentioned in another post - that darn jumping tool kit is DRIVING ME CRAZY !! I am half way through the bonus game and it's all I can do to stick with it until I finish the game - only because I made the mistake of buying it !

Definitely NOT a game I would replay. I sure wish the developers of these games would quit with all the gimmicks they put into their games. It is not necessary. It spoils the game play. I don't mind the "helpers", but all the rest of the gimmicks should be eliminated.

pinkwave
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by pinkwave on Mar 3, 18 1:56 PM
Just finished the game. That quite possibly was the easiest game I've ever played. The puzzles were easy and the hidden objects were easy. I kept thinking it was more difficult than it was. That was the confusing part. Absolutely no challenge. Wasted my money. I have no idea why it's a Collector's Edition? You get another super? puzzle at the end that a five year old could do. Oh and a few hidden object games. If your good at these type of games, save your money. No, I'm not bragging. I normally have to check a walkthrough at least once in a game.

Go to: