patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

Review of 2.99 Daily Deal

[Post New]by patnsky on Jul 3, 10 2:34 AM
I wanted to like this game but even at 2.99 it is a no buy for me. When in a conversation the game drags and almost comes to a stop. I have another James Patterson Women's Club game and really like it ..

Ratatouille
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

Re:Review of 2.99 Daily Deal

[Post New]by Ratatouille on Jul 3, 10 9:15 AM
Mmh, yeah, this doesn't look like a buy for me either after all. At first, I was very interested in at least trying it, then I read a whole bunch of user reviews (elsewhere) that said disturbing things about it, besides the slow dialogues you mentioned (just about everybody complains about that, so it must be pretty bad).

Other downsides frequently mentioned were that the game's way too easy, with sparkling hints telling you what to click on all the time (I hate that!), way too short (someone mentioned about 2 hours??), not enough HOs, and not as good as the first game in the series.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jul 3, 10 1:02 PM
Gave it the full hour demo and really tried to talk myself into
buying 'cause I love picking up DD bargains. But, alas
after an hour of trying to stay awake for those rediculosly (sp)
loooooong cut scenes that can't be speeded up, I just lost
interest in what I was doing.

I have another of the WMC series and this is just so not
in a class with that one. Afraid it would just sit on the
computer unplayed and can't see spending $2.99 for that.

_Amber_
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by _Amber_ on Jul 3, 10 1:27 PM
I actually like this one so far. I've played about half-way through. Granted, it is too easy with the sparkles, and it would be really nice if there was an option to turn them off, but the story is engaging and the graphics are decent. I think it's worth it for $2.99.

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Jul 3, 10 5:09 PM
I loved it! Engrossing story that begins with a young cadet found at the bottom of a steep cliff. The game stays with the story as our heroine finds out what the cadet was onto and why and how he was killed. The game has a huge variety of games, not really hard but a lot of fun: morse code, a video game at the local bar, jigsaws, a few HOG's, disable the alarm, open the desk, climb a trellis and on and on, all held together by the story and move it along. Nice art work, too. Played it for about 4 or 5 hours and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

A few players mentioned the long dialogues but it never bothered me. I was never tempted to skip ahead because it really wasn't that long and I was caught up in the story.

I hate HOG's but the few in the game were fun and easy, and there was another type game right around the corner.

Give it a try. Most enjoyable game I've played in a while.

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Jul 3, 10 9:30 PM
Lasted a whole 18 minutes and that was 15 minutes too long. Absolutely detested this. There's no brain required for the "investigation" phase, it's just "click the sparkles and read what you found out". Then you get to a room with bunks. What are you supposed to do? It says find a bunk where three clues match the evidence. But once you've gotten a checkmark it won't come off, so you can't check the next bunk. Slow in spots, too easy in spots, too frustrating in spots, no deal for me.
And I, too, have another of the WMC games that is far, far superior to this.

[Post New]by GhostBunny18 on Jul 5, 10 5:10 PM
This game is for two kinds of people. Ones who like simple puzzles and HOG and doesn't give two hoots about the plot(thus, skipping all the conversations and cut scenes) AND the ones that read really slowly!

The storyline was very interesting... even though I almost ran out of patience with the cut scenes. You can't hurry the conversation along, every time you click at a cut scene it'll ask whether you want to cut the whole scene out!

the Hidden objects were very very easy and they really do over load you with a lot of hints. i used a grand total of 5 and skipped 3 "puzzles" one because my track point isn't very good with completing the letters. and the last two... I got lazy.

There's a hidden object scene where the things you need were basically in the same place twice!

This is a very casual game for beginners, the story of this game was absolutely marvelous, I really enjoyed it and i was very anxious to know the end but the good point ends there really. Good plot, too short, easy game play and the cut scenes... please... next time do a button that speeds up the dialogue!!

2 out of 5 for me.

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on Jul 5, 10 5:13 PM
I thought it was definitely worth $2.99. However, I wouldn't go any higher than that. It was good but not great, and really, pretty easy, what with little sparklies telling you almost everywhere you need to click. Great story, but I agree there should be a way to speed the dialogue up.

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Jul 21, 10 12:25 AM
Just finished playing this game. It took about 3 hours for me, but hey - it's late, and my eyes are tired!! I have one other Women's Murder Club Game that I liked, so thought I would get this one for the 2.99.

Even though it is easy, and the dialogs are sloooow, there is something about these games that keeps me coming back. I think it is the story line that keeps me interested, even though not challenged. It really is a mystery as to how it is going to turn out, like reading the novels. I've never been able to figure out the ending until the very end.

So many games we play are high-tech, and you get so involved in that aspect of playing the game that the story gets lost. So, I think that is why I like these games - merely for the story and no so much for the game play. Don't think I would waste 6.99 on one of these, but for 2.99, very enjoyable.

cg

Brandyco
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Brandyco on Sep 19, 10 9:35 AM
Conversation skips and I don't get time to read them. Anyone else have this problem?

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Sep 19, 10 11:40 AM
lil_chickadee wrote:Lasted a whole 18 minutes and that was 15 minutes too long. Absolutely detested this. There's no brain required for the "investigation" phase, it's just "click the sparkles and read what you found out". Then you get to a room with bunks. What are you supposed to do? It says find a bunk where three clues match the evidence. But once you've gotten a checkmark it won't come off, so you can't check the next bunk. Slow in spots, too easy in spots, too frustrating in spots, no deal for me.
And I, too, have another of the WMC games that is far, far superior to this.

At the bunks, when you receive a checkmark that means that you have found the right connection between one of the three pieces you were comparing for relevance. It shouldn't "come off" because it is a right answer. If you are trying to find a way to exit one bunk to examine another, there is a "back" button that flashes. Push that.

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Sep 19, 10 11:42 AM
Lauralei wrote:I loved it! Engrossing story that begins with a young cadet found at the bottom of a steep cliff. The game stays with the story as our heroine finds out what the cadet was onto and why and how he was killed. The game has a huge variety of games, not really hard but a lot of fun: morse code, a video game at the local bar, jigsaws, a few HOG's, disable the alarm, open the desk, climb a trellis and on and on, all held together by the story and move it along. Nice art work, too. Played it for about 4 or 5 hours and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

A few players mentioned the long dialogues but it never bothered me. I was never tempted to skip ahead because it really wasn't that long and I was caught up in the story.

I hate HOG's but the few in the game were fun and easy, and there was another type game right around the corner.

Give it a try. Most enjoyable game I've played in a while.

Totally agree - enjoyable series and the stories are very well done and engrossing. This series is one of the finest.

Go to: