The Fifth Gate

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

The Fifth Gate

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 4, 10 12:05 AM
Brace yourself for a world of magic and potions in The Fifth Gate, a gripping Time Management game! Eden is trapped in the gardens; her only hope of returning home is restoring the gardens and unlocking five magical gates. Plants are growing, pests are coming, potions need to be made, and it’s your job to help Eden tackle them all before time runs out! Can you bring the gardens back to life and free Eden?

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

Re:The Fifth Gate

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Jul 4, 10 1:44 AM

Happy 4th of July!

I was pleasantly surprised with this game.

I don't like 'flip-a-burger' TMs and almost didn't even demo this one.

Nice music that actually lets you know how much time you have left.

Nice graphics.

Not real impressed with the green tattooed lady but she is minimal.

You are her slave gardener and if you do what she wants and grow the flowers she wants and boil up the potions she wants then she will give you what you need to be free. (Gems that unlock the gates)

Some nice upgrades and some wicked insect pests to hamper your progress. Even one that goes dormant for a few seconds!

I like that you just click to do what needs to be done. Some games make you go and pick up the correct tool to water or swat pests, etc. but this one doesn't.

I had fun with it so I think I will take advantage of the sale and get this one

Edited on 07/04/2010 at 1:46:16 AM PST

SolarEclipse
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

[Post New]by SolarEclipse on Jul 4, 10 3:34 AM
*******SPOILERS*******

I bought the game about halfway through the trial. I think it's really good, but challenging. The same people, Aliasworlds, that made "Gemini Lost" made this game, also.

It took me about 2 1/2 hours to finish the first 2 locations. They're 14 levels/quests per location. 5 locations.

Getting rid of the insets/pests is similar to caging the bears in "Farm Frenzy" because you have to click on them several times. It's a little hard at times because you have to collect the flowers while they're trying to attack them. But there are some "power-ups" that help with different things.

I've never played "Magic Farm" so I can't compare the two. But the graphics are great.

There's a bit of a learning curve for this one. You have to either sell potions (that you make) or sell the flowers in order to earn money to buy upgrades, new flowers, or complete quests.

The quests are organized into days. Like if the time for the day runs out there is no penalty. You can sell/make your potions, buy upgrades, and then start the next day and continue working on the quest. There's an option to restart the quest, but you don't have to. Like if you don't finish it on day one, then you can just continue on day two. Because if you opt to restart, you'll lose any upgrades that you've made during that particular quest. Whatever resources you had at the beginning of the quest, that's what it will return to if you choose to restart.

I would definitely try the demo first and play for 30-45 minutes to see if you like it. I think this is one that you need to play for a bit before buying.

Edited on 07/04/2010 at 3:35:26 AM PST

Cjb58
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by Cjb58 on Jul 4, 10 4:59 AM
How do you get the rose seeds after you've been given them?

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Jul 4, 10 5:20 AM
I'm not a great fan on TM games either but I demo'd this on the basis of the pretty graphics.
And I like it.
Its quite an intuitive game that ups the ante as you go through the levels, but just when your clicking finger starts to ache you get upgrades - spells or plants to help you out. I bought and was amazed to find how much time had whizzed by.
So give it a go I reckon

nixyseven
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by nixyseven on Jul 4, 10 5:32 AM
This game is a lot like Magic Farm, which I really loved, but it's one where you have to be able to click fast, so it's a no-go on my laptop. Will give it a try on my PC, and I'm sure it'll be fine with a proper mouse!

Those who don't like fast-click games won't like this, but if you don't mind clicking, then give it a try because this does seem fun so far! (I just couldn't deal with it after level 5 with my touchpad)

I played Magic Farm several times though, so I'm planning to get this! I really like it.

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Jul 4, 10 6:38 AM
For cjb:

Yes, I got to that part of the game and had to stop. Roses were grayed out and I understood your question. The quest for that level is to make a potion using both the yellow flowers and roses. So, forget about the roses for the moment. Harvest the yellow flowers first. Then, when you have enough yellow, you can use the roses. Hmm, I think I had to sell some yellow plants to buy more roses and later in the level to buy water. At bottom of screen you'll see gold coins and green arrow. That how you sell. Plants will sparkle so click on one to sell. Another thing, after you do all your potion making and buying and selling in between days, remember to hit "Start Day" to get everything moving again.

I had to fool around a while to get these basics on that level, so I just restarted the game with a new player so I'd have smooth sailing. The tutorial seem to go from hand holding to ''You're on your own kiddo!''

Hope this helps.

Cjb58
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by Cjb58 on Jul 4, 10 6:55 AM
Thank it does.

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Jul 4, 10 6:58 AM
Cjb58 wrote:How do you get the rose seeds after you've been given them?

They cost you 50 gold to plant them. I don't know about you but it took me a LONG time to gather that much money, especially since you must keep spending the tiny bit of money you DO earn on water refills.

nixyseven
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by nixyseven on Jul 4, 10 7:26 AM
Lisa522 wrote:They cost you 50 gold to plant them. I don't know about you but it took me a LONG time to gather that much money, especially since you must keep spending the tiny bit of money you DO earn on water refills.

Don't forget to use any extra flowers to make potions to sell for coins, plus you can sell flowers individually (on the left hand side of the potions screen) to get money once you have made all the potions you can (potions are more profitable).

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Jul 4, 10 7:31 AM
Lisa, I don't remember all the details but I think I sold a potion (maybe) and the yellow plants, themselves, to get coins. I HAD to restart once because I sold all my yellow plants to get the roses but hadn't made the potion yet so i really messed up!

Anyway, I played and loved Magic Farm so I shouldn't have had that much trouble, but it's been a while so I did. Don't give up on this game when you hit a snag in the beginning. Remembering Magic Farm, once you get the mechanics down and get the hang of buying and selling, it's both addictive and a lot of fun. Great graphics and the story keeps it going. Just take your time to figure things out for a level or two after the tutorial and you'll be off and running. In Magic Farm you sold bouquets and in this game it's potions, but both are fun. You'll get upgrades that will help you dispatch those insects faster so it gets easier in that department, too.

Edited on 07/04/2010 at 7:35:01 AM PST

[Post New]by trisme11 on Jul 4, 10 7:53 AM
This was an awesome game. Started and finished the game last night. Once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Jul 4, 10 8:38 AM
Great game! The kind of game that gives me strength to make it through the only-HOGs-on-offer times . Yes, it's very similar to Magic Farm, which I also loved. In both cases, one travels from farm to farm (or here: from garden to garden), having raise, protect and harvest flowers. There can then be sold as such or be turned into potions. Flowers have to be watered and protected from pest. They evolve as more tasks are fulfilled, thereby bringing nicer blossoms which can be used in more expensive potions.

A multitude of tasks has to be fulfilled to gather gems. These gems are necessary to open the gate of the garden in which you are imprisoned. But it's not like: fulfill a task, get a gem, end of story. Some of the tasks involve gathering money or making a certain potion. This is great because there is always variety in the tasks. A definite improvement to Magic Farm.

Starting with the second garden, plants can (have to be) purchased that give no blossoms to use in potions but rather give help, for example extra water or freezing all pests in the garden. These can be very useful, especially the pest freezing one.

Game play is fast but manageable, time just flies by. The demo hour was over so quickly, but I didn't mind because after 5 minutes I already knew I'd buy this game.

The graphics are very nice, detailed with different themes for the gardens. The music is pleasantly in the background and I love the sound effects, like pouring the water (sounds so great especially on a stifling warm afternoon like today).

The only thing I didn't care for (same thing as in Magic Farm): too many pests. One is already busy enough with gathering flowers and watering them, clicking on the well etc. I understand the pests are just an additional challenge, but less of them would have been fully sufficient as a challenge as well. For me, they take some of the fun out of the game play. I don't mind being busy during a level, but not almost exclusively with pests. Still, that's just a very minor issue.

Great game!!!

vonniefaye
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

[Post New]by vonniefaye on Jul 4, 10 9:10 AM
In my humble opinion, this is not really a TM. More like a test of your reflexes. I really like the game, and bought it at the end of the trial. After all, it is on sale! LOL. Anyway, fast and furious clicking of the mouse and your attention has to be totally focused on the game or the bugs and lack of water will shoot you down. The green witch I would like to feed to the bugs, but she is needed to keep the game going. Looks like there will be a lot of play for me. I love TM games, but sometimes feel like a snail on a treadmill. Anyway, I hope everyone who playes this game enjoys it, I know I am..................so far.

[Post New]by ktknievel on Jul 4, 10 9:26 AM
I *love* PlayFirst games . This one has me a bit torn though. I really like it, it's a great combination of collecting flowers and making potions, with bug clicking thrown in!

But, it feels like I'm not finishing through. I opened the first gate and made it across the path before my trial ended, but realized that I would be starting fresh with a new garden, new flowers and new potions in every garden. And for some reason that doesn't tickle my fancy.

On the other hand, I'm frugal and even I am going to buy this. I still have more then enough work ahead of me to justify it (4 full gardens). And one thing I LOVE is that you can make partial potions, this really helped me a lot! You don't have to have all of the flowers to make a full potion each day, if you have all but a couple and you know that you'll need that big moneymaking potion or quest pot, you can use the flowers you have in your inventory and not accidently use them in another pot, sell them or have them taking up precious space.

It did feel like the tutorial ended way too quickly and I know I didn't accidentally turn it off.

All in all, like almost all PlayFirst games, I love this one the timing couldn't have been better either as I just broke my foot and desperately needed a game to keep me sitting still and 'relaxing'.

Hope this review helps someone else!

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on Jul 4, 10 10:11 AM
I too was pleasantly surprised by this game. I generally shy away from ones labeled "time management".......hate the ones where you walk people around, and tend to get bored with the burger/pizza shops. This game has a nice variety of tasks to keep you busy, and keep your attention riveted....I found myself constantly trying to juggle all tasks and found myself getting agitated about my money (lack of) situation. It really is an absorbing game.
I also have a laptop touchpad, but I developed a 2 hand approach while playing Zuma: one hand uses the clicker on the pad, and the other directs the cursor.
I love zapping the bugs!!

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Jul 4, 10 11:11 AM
Lauralei wrote:Lisa, I don't remember all the details but I think I sold a potion (maybe) and the yellow plants, themselves, to get coins. I HAD to restart once because I sold all my yellow plants to get the roses but hadn't made the potion yet so i really messed up!

Anyway, I played and loved Magic Farm so I shouldn't have had that much trouble, but it's been a while so I did. Don't give up on this game when you hit a snag in the beginning. Remembering Magic Farm, once you get the mechanics down and get the hang of buying and selling, it's both addictive and a lot of fun. Great graphics and the story keeps it going. Just take your time to figure things out for a level or two after the tutorial and you'll be off and running. In Magic Farm you sold bouquets and in this game it's potions, but both are fun. You'll get upgrades that will help you dispatch those insects faster so it gets easier in that department, too.

Thanks Lauralei, I did end up purchasing the game and am looking forward to playing it some more. I guess I was just a little shocked at how simplistic the tutorial part was and then they just throw you in hard core. As I mentioned, I'm in a little better shape now at the end of the demo. I probably should have restarted too. I didn't even make it past the 4th gem on the 1st gate (all due to money problems!). All in all, it's a very pretty game and the graphics are great. I think it's just the learning curve on this one was more than I expected. Still rate it pretty highly as far as the game overall goes.

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Jul 4, 10 11:12 AM
Just one more tip. Re the money, I got a little tired of scrimping and worrying so I spent one level earning and not worrying about finishing in one day/two days, whatever. Took my sweet time raising flowers and selling potions until I had more money. Game more comfortable after that. I remember from Magic Farm you get much richer as game progresses so we won't be counting pennies forever.

Slavicdiva
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Slavicdiva on Jul 4, 10 11:36 AM
I wanted to like this game, but it's just not my cup o' Joe.

The graphics are certainly beautiful, and it's an interesting premise. But I play on a laptop with a wireless mouse - and maybe my mouse isn't sensitive enough, but I'm not a fast clicker in any event. And I'm not about to go buy a new mouse to play one game.

People who are fast clickers would probably love this game - but for me, it was just tedious and frustrating. YMMV.

nat_pink25
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,920 Posts

[Post New]by nat_pink25 on Jul 4, 10 11:44 AM
Slavicdiva wrote:I wanted to like this game, but it's just not my cup o' Joe.

The graphics are certainly beautiful, and it's an interesting premise. But I play on a laptop with a wireless mouse - and maybe my mouse isn't sensitive enough, but I'm not a fast clicker in any event. And I'm not about to go buy a new mouse to play one game.

People who are fast clickers would probably love this game - but for me, it was just tedious and frustrating. YMMV.

I soo agree with you!! i wanted to like the game so much because of the graphics but then.. it got boring... ughh!

Go to: