gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

The Fifth Gate Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 4, 10 1:47 PM
I really love the beeee-autiful flowers, but I really hate click click clicking on bugs. Not my *type* of TM game.

(I've been totally obsessed with My Kingdom for a Princess the past couple days though - totally loving that one.)

Update:

Now that I've come to know and love Magic Farm Ultimate Flower, I can see where this game is coming from, and I'm not as intimidated by all the bugs and watering clicking required. And I didn't have to watch any of my plants die when I replayed the demo on another site - so my Magic Farm training done good .

Update 2:

I bought this game and have been playing it for a number of hours. It really is very much like Magic Farm. Since I'd played Magic Farm to death, I'm glad to have this one to play next.

The helper plants are great, but pricey; and in each garden you start with almost no coins. So you're back to click click clicking the pests again, which gets worse as you go along. They go dormant, flit around, or have a toxic aura that will freeze your cursor for 2 seconds if you click on them then.

The goals often leave you with an unbalanced garden - too many of one kind of plant. Water is a limited resource. So I found myself sometimes selling off plants as fast as I'd planted them to meet the goals.

While the graphics in this one are beautiful, the gameplay gets too hectic to really enjoy that much.

Edited on 09/08/2010 at 7:09:17 PM PST

shoelesshs
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

Re:The Fifth Gate Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by shoelesshs on Jul 4, 10 3:25 PM
My review after 1 hour demo:

Level: Medium. Not too hard to learn, but not that easy to play. I did make it through the first gate in the first hour.

Playability: Okay. No major loading or issues, but very picky about where you click.

Likes: Colorful flowers; nice combination of TM and Tycoon type games. Not too hard to get expert level.

Dislikes: Not a big fan of magic spell themes. Incessant clicking required. Too many bugs and no foreseeable upgrades to fight bugs in sight - maybe at higher levels?

Recommendations: Take a good look at what your potions need and try to harvest the most of those flowers first. Upgrade storage, water storage, and fountain as soon as you can.

Will I buy it? Probably not. Too much clicking on bugs -

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Jul 4, 10 3:40 PM
Once you get to the second gate, there is a way to fight the darned bugs! It's a bug-catching plant, and when it flowers, you can click on it, and all of the bugs (and they'll come in 3's!) will be attracted to the plant and freeze. Just click once on each, and they're gone! Thank goodness!

lovelyrita019
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by lovelyrita019 on Jul 4, 10 5:18 PM
I love this game~best game I've played in a long time!!

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jul 4, 10 11:02 PM
gimmegames wrote:I really love the beeee-autiful flowers, but I really hate click click clicking on bugs. Not my *type* of TM game.

(I've been totally obsessed with My Kingdom for a Princess the past couple days though - totally loving that one.)

Yes same, click click click on flowers and bugs does not do it for me.
Lovely graphics but I don't find the gameplay much fun.

RainCat
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by RainCat on Jul 5, 10 7:36 AM
Review from the middle of the 2nd gate.

First, for the players of Magic Farm and Magic Farm Ultimate - game play and setup is very simlar, so play is definitely a copy. However, some of the tricks and the order you get them are different. Plus, this game is MUCH MORE LINEAR with 10 short quests per garden, instead of multiple quests, usually with no deadline. Not saying whether that is good or bad, just that it is different. I am not sure (yet) about the long-term replayabilty for overall speed/strategy that Magic Farm Ultimate has. There are not (as far as I can tell yet) the different levels of difficulty either, but that may be a good thing. I beta-tested MFU for weeks, and never really masted the hardest settings (hey, they needed regular-level testers too, right?).

SETUP (as far as I know)
5 gardens, 10 quests per level (this is a guess)

EACH quest/task has an expert goal (number of days). Completing the goal in this time will require some strategy and experimentation, and sometimes some counterintutive thinking (for one quest, I only got expert by NOT making an obvious upgrade).

Some benefits- expanding storage capacity or bucket capacity are not explained, and if you are not familiar with this type of game can be easily overlooked.

RESTARTING QUESTS - you can restart a task, but you start over at the first day of it. No saving mid-task. This is sort of annoying when you are 3 or 4 days in, and have a really bad day, and your plants get eaten or not watered on time.

PESTS: Let's just say some are more challenging than others - they hop, they sleep, they go into a mode where you can't hit them. Challenging, but there are tricks to dealing with them.

PLOT - Not much of it so far. Girl captured (?) by sorceress forced to work in garden. She initially seems mean, but is being pretty helpful, so who knows?

Even though I told myself I would not buy this game when I started playing, an hour later I had purchased it, and I am not a TM fan, although I like the Magic Farm type games, sometimes. Will update review when I have played more.

Now excuse me while I get back to it. (This game is hard on the wrist/carpal tunnel)

Edited on 07/05/2010 at 7:41:53 AM PST

bfgZambezi
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,858 Posts

[Post New]by bfgZambezi on Jul 5, 10 8:54 AM
Hey Fishies!

Just popping in to let everyone know I've gone ahead and stickied this thread as the official Comments and Reviews thread for The Fifth Gate.

Remember to post a big ole "SPOILER" alert if you will be giving away plot details or solutions in the game.

Happy gaming everyone!

-bfgZambezi

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Jul 5, 10 1:05 PM
A real yawner,....boring

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jul 5, 10 3:08 PM
I don`t feel that the game is boring. I have enjoyed my trial time and have bought it today with the sale.

kitty1
Flounder
Flounder
2,194 Posts

[Post New]by kitty1 on Jul 5, 10 3:17 PM
Thanks Raincat for the well thought out review.

This game is too much like Magic Farm (which somehow I bought by mistake ) for me to consider buying it.. Tired of clicking on the bugs. Maybe it gets better later. I just don't like when a game has little change from it's predecessor. It's an ok game though, if you don't already have Magic Farm.

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Jul 5, 10 3:32 PM
There is something of a similar feel to an older game called Plantasia which I enjoyed very much. I wasn't sure I'd like this one, but I ended up buying it. So far it keeps luring me back.

4mybirds4
Salmon
Salmon
2,663 Posts

[Post New]by 4mybirds4 on Jul 5, 10 5:40 PM
I usually hate these types of games, but have to admit, after doing the demo, bought it. I am enjoying it more than I thought I would.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jul 5, 10 7:12 PM
it was pretty and bright... but every time that green pixie chick popped and wanted something, i really felt like telling her to go get it herself! overall, i guess it was enjoyable enough, and with as obsessed over water and bugs as i was, i might never have lost a plant, but i'm betting my blood pressure went up a notch or two!

not something i would buy due to the fact that i don't see myself ever playing it again due to personal enjoyment, but definitely a cute little game that i would encourage others to try before deciding to toss it in the rubbish bin!

s_lvance
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by s_lvance on Jul 5, 10 10:57 PM
Just completed my one hour demo, and I have to say that it is very similar to Magic Farm, however, it just seems to lack a certain charm Magic Farm has (maybe I miss the cute dragon?) As another poster mentioned, it is (so far) very linear. The graphics are well done and the audio is okay. Maybe it is because I use a laptop (or maybe it is just my laptop) but the click click click sometimes ended with me "clicking" feverishly and my cursor just frozen in place for a time. I doubt I will purchase unless it beomes a DD. Do want to mention, though, that anyone who enjoys this game should check out Magic Farm if you haven't already done so.
Happy Gaming!!

shasta24
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
472 Posts

[Post New]by shasta24 on Jul 6, 10 2:20 PM
gimmegames wrote:I really love the beeee-autiful flowers, but I really hate click click clicking on bugs. Not my *type* of TM game.

I'm downloading now. IMO, Game of the Year is Settlement:Colussus. Try it!
Let me know what you think.

sdurrie
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by sdurrie on Jul 6, 10 2:41 PM
The Fifth Gate reminds me of Garden Dreams. Both are harvesting plants and keeping bugs away. But in TFG, you get to make potions from the flowers you collect. Those potions can either be sold or used to complete quests.

The graphics are beautiful and the fairy theme is well done. Main reason why I like the game. There are times of rest, waiting for the flowers to bloom...though it doesn't last long! Out of no where, a swarm of bugs come to attack, which you must kill before they destroy your lovely garden.

***SPOILER***

I enjoyed the three stages of each plant that come with completing quests. The flowers became more beautiful with each upgrade. The good thing is, each type of flower still blooms from the same plant. Also, like the "helpers" you get from GD, there are types of plants in TFG. For example, the ice flower that freezes bugs in their tracks.

Edited on 07/06/2010 at 2:48:51 PM PST

Fransje66
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,217 Posts

[Post New]by Fransje66 on Jul 8, 10 3:52 AM

Lovely game.

The l-have-to-click-like-an-idiot bits come only in short bursts (the "days" are very short).
There is quite a bit of Strategy involved here as well.

What l DO feel sorry about though =: when you replay a level, you start with all the upgrades you had on that stage before.

Developers: check ALL the Farm Frenzy games - they do that better: what ever level you Replay, you get all the updates that you gained uptill the latest level played. . .

[Post New]by summer_girl13 on Jul 8, 10 10:38 AM
LOVE this game!!! Have to say that bugs may have been little bit too much in the 1st garden, but now I'm in the 3rd garden. The pest magnet plant that I got in the 2nd garden is fabulous - I planted 2 of them and have nooooo trouble whatsoever with the pests! And the harvest/rain/bug killing spells in the 3rd really helps to have less clicking, and more strategy. TOo bad I can't use all 3 of them at once, but then I guess the game would become a 3 click game , and it wouldn't be fun.

chaleur
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by chaleur on Jul 8, 10 2:26 PM
I love this game!

It reminds me of Plantasia, only the upgrades you make aren't just goals, they actually affect your gameplay experience. Very nice. The gardens are just the right size, the artwork is beautiful, the story is cool and I am having a lot of fun.

[Post New]by haileesmother on Jul 11, 10 2:36 AM
RainCat wrote:Review from the middle of the 2nd gate.

First, for the players of Magic Farm and Magic Farm Ultimate - game play and setup is very simlar, ... (shortened for space) ... I get back to it. (This game is hard on the wrist/carpal tunnel)

when posting spoilers, i use white letters so if u want it u can highlight it to read it...but i got to reading this and it has changed my mind into giving it a try...ty for the post ill see if i dig it

Go to: