cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Comments and Reviews for Skymist - The Lost Spirit Stones

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 5, 10 2:07 AM
As a review thread isn't available yet I decided to start one.

Well after accepting the fact that BFG and Creative Labs are trustworthy companies (and if they aren't I don't know who is ) I accepted the Open All installer and the game works beautifully.

It is an interactive HOG and a very good one at that, I have already bought it . Even though some of the objects are quite small and you have to collect 25 acorns in one scene the graphics are clear enough that I did not have to use the magnifying glass to find them. That said some of the objects are hidden so that only a bit of them is visible such as the abacus but if you take the time and really look they can be seen.

There appears to be unlimited hints which refill (about 20/30 seconds) and THERE IS NO CLICK PENALTY.

Some items will need to be combined in your inventory but it is simply a case of picking up one object and clicking it on another.

The music is very pleasant but repetitive.

This is one of those games that as soon as you start you just know that you are going to enjoy playing and it gets a bit from me.

C

Edited on 07/05/2010 at 8:41:10 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Skymist - The Lost Spirit Stones

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jul 5, 10 2:52 AM
Ditto what you said, does make me want to keep playing, quality music is whimsical inducing a fun lightheartedness. Took me 30 min to complete one chapter, items either easy or look more, harder, well placed. No problem with 24 acorns but spotted the last just before hitting Hint. Demo ticks on ya know....
Guess I'll buy on sale today, 26 chapters so guess it will take me a day or more.

Probably experts craving a challenge need not apply, but looks just right for me. Just finished Kate Arrow and was hungry again.

Really nice on 15" flat panel monitor, win xp, just 512 ram so hope I'm not pushing it, that's all I got. Will try on laptop widescreen now, was afraid to and uninstalled it with that installer scare, but didn't crash my pc so I'll see. My AVG free didn't give any alarm on either and they are up to date.

So far I like the patter between the princess and me, i.e. skimpy dialogue. Kinda different, fairytale and modern day mix. Fun stuff so far and if you don't like gobs of HOGS run away run away run away LOL.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jul 5, 10 3:06 AM
Thanks cherbs - wasn't sure about downloading Creative lab add on thingy.

Avalon2
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Avalon2 on Jul 5, 10 3:45 AM
Game runs fine on Vista 32-bit. Music is very good, lyrical, and changes with the action. Downloaded, installed, played for 30 minutes, exited, then entered the game again to make sure it would pick up where I left. No problems anywhere.

Nice game, developers

Caution: Verbose Open-AL explanation follows:
OpenAL is a cross-platform 3D audio API (Application Programming Interface) appropriate for use with gaming applications and many other types of audio applications. Cross-platform means "any operating system".

Sometimes it is a part of your original audio card version installation and usually pre-loaded by your PC manufacturer so it is pretty much invisible to the user.

I have noticed there have been some games (from BigFish too) that request my permission to install OpenAL. In fact I was glad to see it for this game because now I have the latest, which will take the place of the OpenAL.dll that was installed on my computer last year. Have you ever tried to locate, download and install just one DLL and then locate the file folder it is supposed to be in and then run the authorization so Windows will accept it? It is not pretty.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Jul 5, 10 4:02 AM
This one's not for me. It's childish and the graphics are childish. Large graphics, childish music...

I also installed the OpenAL knowing it was just to update software for gaming, so that's OK.

Many will like this game, but it's not for me.

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on Jul 5, 10 4:24 AM

Good Morning Fishies,

I see a lot of concerns regarding the Open Al program. I am not a big technical person but I can assure you that the Open Al program is legit.

I had a game that I was recently writing a walkthrough for (can't remember the name) and the game would not work properly so the techs at the office determined that it was because I did not have Open Al installed in my computer. Once I installed it, the game ran properly.

I can assure you that you can accept the Open Al program. Once you have it installed you should not have to do it again if you download another game that requires it unless there is an update to the Open Al program.

Hope this clears up the air for some of you.If you still have some concerns you can google "Open Al" to view information regarding this program.

Thanks for listening!

MargieB

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Jul 5, 10 4:36 AM
Fun, quirky, whimsical! A game with that not only thinks outside the box, but frankly, throws away some standard boxes!

The artwork is great. And, flipping back and forth between different "realities" creates some interesting--and often humorous--scenarios.

But I've got to say, when I wound up at that gas station, it felt like I'd wound up back on Barrow Hill after something bad happened.

There's camp, a sly sense of humor, and the weirdest prince you'll ever meet. (But Scarlet will love his lingo!)

Give this one a whirl. It's a very refreshing take on HOGs.

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Jul 5, 10 5:04 AM
Just finished the demo, don't know where has the hour gone.
At first I thought...not another princess with nothing but make-up
and marriage in her head!
Was quite happy when the idyllic kingdom exploded.
Now back to the game, hope it has decent minigames.

P.S. Downloaded the software and the gane runs smoothly.

Edited on 07/05/2010 at 5:05:26 AM PST

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Jul 5, 10 5:36 AM
i'm stuck in front of cinema and i can't go on for i can't pass the puzzle to switch on the light in front of it!this puzzle is irritating,without logic and ....can't be skip!!!bad mark for the game!i have to try again and again and don't can switch all letters!just one more and....others switch off when trying to switch on!

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jul 5, 10 6:31 AM
I purchased the game, after my trial period ran out, and now I wish I didn't, the game doesn't have good flow, for me anyway, and I find myself almost falling asleep, at my computer.
I guess we all have different things, we enjoy in a game, just wish I would have realized it, before I went ahead and bought it.
It just felt so slow, to me, so to you all that love it, have fun, it's not a bad game, just not my cup of tea.
Hopefully tommorow, will be a better day, I've been up since 3:30 am, so going to take a short nap.
Happy gaming everyone :-)

After taking a nap, I did go back and finish the game and played it all the way through, without any problems, at all, even the bar scene, so I was happy about that, after reading so many problems, that people where having.
I was also happy to see that it did have a nice length, to it, and even though it wasn't one of my favorites, it was worth the money spent, and a well made game.
So for me it gets, out of 5 stars, because it didn't get me excited, like a really good game does.

Edited on 07/06/2010 at 2:49:13 PM PST

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Jul 5, 10 6:55 AM
I'll be getting this one. I love the graphics style of the hidden object scenes (almost looks like "claymation"...almost). Very clear, easy to spot the items but I still used a hint here and there. (mostly to save demo time at this stage). Played just over half an hour of demo then exited to see how much of game is left. I'm at the Gas station (chapter 3) and there's 26 chapters so it seems this will probably be pretty long.

I don't care about the story in games but this one is kind of funny so far with the light banter between the characters and yourself.

I do have some sluggish cursor moments, especially in the scenes with the fountain..but I was able to get it to what I wanted to point at, and once I went into a hidden object scene or other area, the sluggishness stopped. So I think I'll be ok. I may mess with hardware acceleration settings to see if I can stop it completely, but I think I'm already at full so there might not be a fix at this point. Luckily it's intermittant.

The music irritated me in about 3 mins so I muted it (almost always do). I keep the sounds on.

I knew from one glance at the screen shots that I liked the graphics style and would probably get this one and I was right. Screen shots tell a lot!

Hope everyone can get this to play on their machines because it's a nice game. It's not hard at all (so far anyway) but it's pleasant and fun, bright, happy, and I can see myself playing it again in future. (Some games you play once and know you'll never play again).

ETA: I just went back to play some more and wanted to mention here that it opened up to right where I left off which is great! No wading through screen after screen of intro to get where you were. It loads to the screen you were last in, then the main menu comes on as an overlay (in case you wanted to change players, options, etc) but as soon as you click play you're right where you were. I happened to be in a hidden object scene with one object to go, and that's where I was placed! (No having to redo all the objects in the hidden object scene because I left without finishing it, like some games do). Very nice feature!

Edited on 07/05/2010 at 7:01:53 AM PST

SandraSwede
Shark
Shark
14,103 Posts

[Post New]by SandraSwede on Jul 5, 10 7:08 AM
I like this game. Have played the hour demo and will buy it today for the 4th of July sale.
The game is a nice change of pace with no stress and you can figure things out without a walkthrough.

One thing this game offers that I have never seen before is a screen brightness adjustment under Options.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jul 5, 10 7:18 AM
Thank you for the explanation, MargieB.

As a technically challenged senior, it makes
me feel so so much better when I click
that OK button.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 5, 10 7:32 AM
Interesting demo.

It's, like, 3D rendering? I think they could have included fewer plastic-looking food items. Looks like there's some wit in it - like the Salvador Dali-style melting pizza? And the dialogue between the princess who just wants to marry a handsome prince, and your character, who's trying to inject some real world cynicism it seems like.

Edited on 07/05/2010 at 4:28:29 PM PST

dewieee
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by dewieee on Jul 5, 10 7:37 AM
It does have a click penalty. It blurs the screen, but only if you get really click happy. The graphics were good. Game play reminded me of the museum games.

I like mini-games to break up the monotony and this didn't offer any. It had the find 12 objects or find two matching objects, but that is boring to me.

I got 5 out of 7 orbs within my hour, but from what I have read, there are 24? chapters so seems to be of good length. I'm just bored with Hog's and you really have to put something extra in there to hold my interest anymore. Will wait around till another adventure game comes along.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Jul 5, 10 7:42 AM
There is an incorrect click penalty, but it's small. From the Blog Walkthrough:

If you have too many incorrect clicks in a row the scene blurs for a few seconds, but there is no other penalty.

With regard to the movie theatre puzzle:

We have a full set of instructions for all the inventory tasks, including that one, in the Blog Walkthrough. It's a bit easier than it seems once you realize how to handle it.

To get to the Blog Walkthrough, click on the Try This Game link at the top of this page, then click on the link to the Blog Walkthrough.

As far as inventory tasks with no instructions: the game does have strong adventure elements, so you do have to figure out some things on your own. However, there are several places where you can get helpful hints about what to do next, even if you don't want to check the walkthrough.

To begin with, always check the Magic Journal in the lower right of the screen. If the icon is an open book, there are new hints there that you haven't checked yet. If the icon is a closed book, you've already seen everything, but you can still click if you want to reread it.

Next, any place where your cursor turns into gears or a ? is a place where you can click with an empty cursor and get a hint about what is needed. These hints will usually appear in the text at the top of the screen, but may appear in the Find List area.

Oh, and it can be helpful to open your Inventory Tray and see what you have in there. One time I didn't realize I still had the Crowbar I'd picked up earlier (it's one of the items you can use more than once), and it turned out to be just what I needed!

Still, there's no question that the inventory tasks are a big part of this game. Different people like different kinds of games. I really enjoyed this one.

Robin

Edited on 07/05/2010 at 9:39:33 AM PST

[Post New]by linisleo on Jul 5, 10 7:59 AM
I really want to enjoy this game but for the life of me I cannot get the rope to burn outside the gas station. No matter what I do and I am starting to get bored by it.

Any clues? I have held my lighted rag in just about ever position I can fathom.

Edited on 07/05/2010 at 7:59:53 AM PST

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Jul 5, 10 8:03 AM
linisleo wrote:I really want to enjoy this game but for the life of me I cannot get the rope to burn outside the gas station. No matter what I do and I am starting to get bored by it.

Any clues? I have held my lighted rag in just about ever position I can fathom.

Since this is a spoiler, I'm putting it in spoiler text--drag your mouse over the blank space below to see the solution.

Have you had a chance to check the Blog Walkthrough yet? It has the step by step instructions for the full task. You need to combine the Dry Rag and the Stick to make a torch, put the torch in the gasoline, light it to get a Flaming Torch, then put the Flaming Torch on the rope to burn it.

If you haven't combined it with the Stick yet, it won't be long enough to reach the rope.

The easiest place to click seems to be on the rope right above the dangling key.

The Blog Walkthrough has a marked screenshot showing the location. To get to the Blog Walkthrough, click on the Try this Game link at the top of this page, then click on the link to the Blog Walkthrough.
Good luck!
Robin

Edited on 07/05/2010 at 8:41:00 AM PST

AZKalona
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by AZKalona on Jul 5, 10 8:39 AM
This game has wonderful graphics and is a good ihog. The music is a little trying. About the extra download, Margie is correct. It won't harm your system and you will need it to operate this game properly. As far as the license agreement, it just lists information they are required to list. It will not harm your computer. Anyway, big thanks to Big Fish for keeping us all entertained.

IrishRush
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by IrishRush on Jul 5, 10 8:40 AM
I just played the introductory chapter and have decided to use my coupon for a free game to buy this one. I like it because it's not just straight hidden object, but interactive as well. Also, the hidden objects are not so easily found, which gives more of a challenge. I hate downloading a game that I just whip through and finish in less than a day. This one promises to be a bit more challenging than that without being frustrating. So far the screens I've seen haven't been so dark that the objects are too hard to see (as I've found with many HOG's). Dark scenes to hide the objects don't challenge me, they just annoy me.
I also like the dialogue back and forth with the characters - that's a little different from what I'm used to and makes it fun. More interactive.
If this opinion changes after I've played more, I'll re-post but overall this is looking like a good HOG with some differences that definitely qualify as "thinking outside of the box" as one other poster put it. Overall, looks like a fun, challenging and different kind of HOG.

Go to: