bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Welcome to Laby forum

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 6, 10 12:05 AM
Welcome to Laby forum! This is your place to ask questions, share tips, and connect with other Laby players.

If you have questions about how to use the forums, please click the FAQ link on the right.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

Re:Welcome to Laby forum

[Post New]by belamba on Jul 6, 10 12:52 AM
I hate timed games too! Will try the trial as some give loads of time so it doesn't matter. But others are anything but enjoyable as playing them is stressful rather than relaxed.
I realise some fishies enjoy the challenge but do wish game devs would give us a choice :-)

moonlightgrey
Flounder
Flounder
2,076 Posts

[Post New]by moonlightgrey on Jul 6, 10 1:13 AM
I liked this game a lot. I am a M3 fanatic, and this is a good solid turn out for a brand new game.

The lable on the "try it" looked so stupid that I wasn't going to try it, but it was an M3, so I gave it a chance. I'm glad I did.

The story line is about an alchemist looking for the Philosopher's Stone (sigh--what else) and you are supposed to help him by waking up a host of nature spirits who have fallen asleep in their towers. The story is pretty hokey, but if you like the fairy world this might be just the thing for you.

As I said, the game play is solid. There is no untimed mode, which will not appeal to some. There are adequate instructions, but no hand holding. The game play is fast, and the difficulty level increases rapidly. There are power-ups galore. In addition there are puzzles thrown in for good measure.

This is probably not the best choice for an absolute beginner.

Graphics were OK. Art was Cartoon style. Board and icons were big enough not to tire senior eyes. I can't remember the music.

Would I buy it? For 2.99 Absolutely. On a punch card, probably. For 6.99 maybe so. I am a sucker for M3 with something different about them.

bansama
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by bansama on Jul 6, 10 1:16 AM
Well, I bought this one. The artwork is nice as is the music. The match 3 mechanic is tried and tested and works wonders. It's (so far) dead easy to rack up huge combinations in a very short time which is a welcome change to some games where it's far harder to do so.

It has achievements for those who like that sort of thing, seems to also have unlockables which are purchased with coins and so forth.

The only downside is a fairly common pet peeve of mine and that's an obviously poor translation. It's understandable but still, more care could have been taken on it. (Perhaps this only annoys me as I, myself, am a translator and I would reject work of that quality as not suitable.)

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Jul 6, 10 1:19 AM
moonlightgrey wrote: I can't remember the music.

Seriously?!? Wow!

The first little bit of music I remember thinking 'This is pleasant.'

Then it took off and was very intense and dramatic, if not frantic!

Perhaps I am just more susceptible to such things LOL

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jul 6, 10 1:36 AM
Can someone please tell me how to play this game? Tips said get rid of glowing gems (or similar), but I can't see any glowing gems??
The music drove me round the bend so muted it.
Doesn't seem to be anything about this M3 to get excited about. One of my fave genres. Maybe if I could fathom it out I might enjoy it. Must say the typo on the first page put me off 'tuorials!

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Jul 6, 10 2:07 AM
CasualGran wrote:It's a TIMED game Which means I'm not going to buy it. Really. It can be a nice change now and then to play a Match 3, but not in this way. I hate timed games. I play for relaxation, not to be stressed up for no reason at all.

Furthermore, it looks like an average M3. But I can't be sure, only saw the opening game. Anyway, for all of you that like to play timed games, this one could be a good game. Worth a trial anyway.

Happy gaming!

And I thought that the developers were finally catching on:
:
Optional timer = more sales...........

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Jul 6, 10 2:07 AM
belamba wrote:Can someone please tell me how to play this game? Tips said get rid of glowing gems (or similar), but I can't see any glowing gems??

They are all 'glowing'. Just go for the color at the bottom. (Red to start with.)

mountfalcon
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by mountfalcon on Jul 6, 10 2:39 AM
I prefer a timer for match 3s, as it forces faster thinking and encourages planning ahead; biggest plus for me is that different colours have different shaped surrounds, so I don't have matching problems. More than a bit reminiscent of Treasures of Montezuma, but that's more a recommendation than a criticism.

[Post New]by Coronagold on Jul 6, 10 6:52 AM
This game seems bereft of life for me. Maybe it gets more interesting later on but after 18 minutes I was so bored I dumped it. Other match 3 games have more pizazz to them. Break tiles, break chains, rotate board, uncover power-ups, uncover paths, etc., and are certainly nicer eye candy.

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Jul 6, 10 7:16 AM
Wow this is a challenging little game. Once I figured out what to achieve I found it could be very challenging. I'm at level 3 and I am on my fourth try to achieve my goal here. It reminds me of Cradle of Rome. That also is a very difficult Match 3 with a timer. I think this is a definite buy for me. I only have 15 minutes of my trial left so I'm satisfied with it as a game!
Try it at least!
Sally

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jul 6, 10 6:39 PM
I enjoyed the trial, but will not buy...I know it will get more and more frustrating since it is timed. I have learned my lesson with these games. So I will play the trial and enjoy an hour game but no sale.

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Jul 7, 10 7:26 AM
Thank you, Casualgran and Moonlightgrey, for your helpful and illuminating reviews. I too am one whose interest freezes when I see a timed match-3. I love match-3's, and some of the ones that have come out over the last year have such wonderful, innovative screens, ideas, stories, and game play, that the gamer in me just cries to play them. But I'm disabled, and the illness affects not only movement but vision, and I simply cannot, no matter how I try, keep up to the pace somebody else decided I should master. So what I get a great deal of reward from is the opportunity to play these newer match-3's at MY pace, using strategy and so the game takes on a slightly different character, when strategy can be the main focus and not speed. some of these new layouts just cry like I do, lol, for that chance to have strategy be the prime motivation. I do have some of the challenging timed match-3's that are great favorites of other fishes here, and they are dear to me, too, I love them, but they're always leaving me disappointed, because I couldn't play with the abilities I DO have left.

This one is probably not a buy for me, but it's with regret I say so. And I agree with many of you: WHEN is it going to dawn on the developers that they have a wide audience quite anxious to buy their offerings, if ONLY they'd get rid of the notion that a game has to be FAST to be good? For some, this is true, and I'm happy for them. For others, this is no longer true, and hey, devs, give us a chance to play too.

Edited on 07/07/2010 at 7:29:01 AM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jul 10, 10 5:36 AM
I guess I am at an age and a point in my life where I don't want fast and furious...of course, I do work a fast and furious stressful job as an ER nurse at a huge inner city hospital, so I want intriguing, and mysterious, relaxation at my own pace, on my off time...never wanted to flip burgers, or run a shop, and have my fill of customer service in my job, and I love my hogs. The first game I actually got hooked on was a m3...Big Kahuna Reef...to me that one and the second one still is the gold standard. I have trialed so many that have come out, enjoyed the first hour, bought them and then found out that they get faster and furiouser as you get into the game. I don't like reruns, don't like having to play a level over again, and especially hate losing all my lives and having to start the entire game over from scratch again.

Go to: