bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Laby

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 6, 10 1:51 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Laby? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

gilly85
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Laby

[Post New]by gilly85 on Jul 6, 10 5:34 AM
Good afternoon. I have just finished the demo of Laby and this game has grown on me.
This is a Match 3 with beautiful graphics in pen and ink style. It has a story which is a bonus in a match 3 to me. The characters are all of the elements and add to a certain humour.
Matching 4 of any element gives you a line explosion, and explodes the line which corresponds to the direction in which you matched the 4. Gradually the elements become a power up by matching 5 of a given element. It starts with fire so there is no point in matching earth, water or air at this stage. I managed to acquire fire, which burns a particular area,and water, which clears all of the water tokens. I found the power ups quite hard to achieve though.

In between the matching game I have had, so far, a 'find the logs for the fire' minigame and a 'turn the pipes to let the water through' minigame. A nice interlude.
I didn't like the music, but that is down to individual taste I feel.

The game played nicely, crisply and the pleasant 'click' of the tokens is reassuring.

I never buy Match 3 as they always get too pressured for me towards the end, but if it was a good offer I would buy and only play up to where I can manage.
Nice one BFG - thank you

Dynastia
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Dynastia on Jul 6, 10 7:17 AM
Hello Gilly,

What about the labyrinths? Are they fun? Are they all the same pipe type?

If anyone knows a great labyrinth game, please tell me (us).

And by the way, it is morning here.

Edited on 07/06/2010 at 7:18:42 AM PST

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on Jul 6, 10 8:24 AM
I subscribe to Gilly's review. It is a very nice M3, and I enjoyed the graphs and the sense of humor (Possible spoiler here, click'n'drag: I loved the way the fire guy jokes and how it actually looks serious for a moment )

The intro was nice although a little bit long and with no chance to fast forward although you can skip it. The music was ok, no voices, and the graphs were nice so I went through the whole intro.

Dynastia: as far as I saw, the minigames are fairly easy, so if that is what you really like I'm not sure you will be satisfied with Laby's (I just tried the demo so I am not even sure you will encounter another pipe later one).
I know I have come some across some challenging pipe ones as minigame sin other games (can't remember exactly where though) and I seem to remember BF launched a demo a few years ago of one in which you had to connect flowers through pipe-like puzzles and -not sure if I may be confused on this one- another game in which you had to match pipes to water plants. This was like 2 years ago maybe and I remember the screenshots but can't remember the game names. I'm not sure this is of any help.
Cheers

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jul 6, 10 8:35 AM
This is a game that will either please or annoy. I'm in the middle of the fence on it. It has a single square board with no accomlishment goals other than points (a progress bar runs across the bottom, easy to miss, but it's there). Well into the game, there are no match barriers like chains, and the board is really to small for those. Worst, from my standpoint: no untimed version. On the other hand, it has a cute story with cute characters, the cut scenes have unusual art (not the same old cartoon style) and the game graphics are very nice and crisp. I especially like the fact that it is very easy to tell the game tokens apart, so it is a great game for people with limited vision. I also like the music, which is a matter of taste.

The row or column blaster powerup is easy to get, but the "pure elements" powerups require a match-5, which is hard. Note you can match 5 in an L-shape to get the power-up, that's easier than forming a straight line of 5.

Each chapter (one for each element) has its own mini-game, and they all seem to be different. So far, they have not been very difficult.

Despite its problems, I used my punch card bonus to get this one, and will call it Lisa-approved with .

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jul 6, 10 11:23 AM
So happy to see a M3 game offered today, I love them, so downloading now to give this one a try.
I would love to see a sequel to, Flower Paradise, or Puzzle Park, those really sold like hot cakes, so I wish the developers would make another for both of these.
There was a chinese M3 also, that had both M3 and finding objects, can't remember the name, but loved that one also, and would purchase if a second one came out.
Well with mixed reviews on this one, I am anxious to start playing, fingers crossed that I will like it :-)
Have a great day everyone, and as always, happy gaming .

hcopter51
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by hcopter51 on Jul 6, 10 12:36 PM
NO timed games for me.......

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 6, 10 3:33 PM
I'm 20 minutes into the demo and would rather be watching paint dry. The music and graphics *quality* was fine, but it puts me in a bad mood. So I stopped playing to see what's being said here in the forum about it. I didn't play it long enough to actually pass judgement on it - first impressions can certainly be wrong... Match 3 games tend to introduce gameplay features as you go along - start off very simple and gradually build, so sometimes it hard to know from even a full demo of a game whether the whole thing will be just like what you demo-ed or if the gameplay will evolve thru the game. I haven't uninstalled this game - I'll probably finish out the demo eventually.

I do hope some of you who buy this game will come back and tell us what you think of the game beyond the demo.

Update: I finished playing the demo and deleted it. My opinion of it stayed about the same.

Edited on 07/07/2010 at 1:32:40 PM PST

nanny2x2
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by nanny2x2 on Jul 6, 10 6:05 PM

I like M3 games but this just bored me to death. The graphics were
good, music was OK.

Caraface
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Caraface on Jul 6, 10 6:16 PM
I know that many of these games are translated into English, but there were some very blatant spelling and grammar errors - doesn't anyone have a native English speaker on staff?

In any case, it's a pretty simple M3 - the graphics and music are fun and interesting, the pieces are distinguishable from one another, and the story doesn't feel "tacked on", as is the case with some other M3's. There's nothing wrong with it, I guess I'm not enough of a M3 fan to really get into it.

out of a possible five.....although, if you gave me 5 beers, I'd like any damn game you put in front of me

Edited on 07/06/2010 at 6:19:10 PM PST

labrat33
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by labrat33 on Jul 6, 10 8:34 PM
gimmegames wrote:I'm 20 minutes into the demo and would rather be watching paint dry. The music and graphics *quality* was fine, but it puts me in a bad mood. So I stopped playing to see what's being said here in the forum about it. I didn't play it long enough to actually pass judgement on it - first impressions can certainly be wrong... Match 3 games tend to introduce gameplay features as you go along - start off very simple and gradually build, so sometimes it hard to know from even a full demo of a game whether the whole thing will be just like what you demo-ed or if the gameplay will evolve thru the game. I haven't uninstalled this game - I'll probably finish out the demo eventually.

I do hope some of you who buy this game will come back and tell us what you think of the game beyond the demo.

labrat33
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by labrat33 on Jul 6, 10 8:39 PM
I love Match 3s. but this game bored and annoyed me. I failed to find any rhyme or reason to what ended a level, the story and directions needed a review with an eye to correct and understandable English and I quit the demo at the second level.
Pleasant music and interesting opening graphics are not enough to make a boring game into one I'll buy.
I'm so happy BFG has a new game every day, but I wish they were more often worth the trouble of the demos!

gilly85
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by gilly85 on Jul 7, 10 12:47 AM
Dynastia wrote:Hello Gilly,

Sorry Dynastia, I only tried the demo. The mini games weren't difficult but likeable owing to the characters which made me giggle a little

I think the flower labyrinth game that Gieyo is thinking about is one where you have to connect the roots. I've played most of it (can't remember the bloomin' name though ) and found it progressively harder to achieve. I'll come back if I find it.....
....oh and I loved the fire joke as well. I thought, Oh crikey, what did I do wrong?? Nice one

Have fun

gilly85
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by gilly85 on Jul 7, 10 12:50 AM
gilly85 wrote:
Dynastia wrote:Hello Gilly,

I think the flower labyrinth game that Gieyo is thinking about is one where you have to connect the roots. I've played most of it (can't remember the bloomin' name though ) and found it progressively harder to achieve. I'll come back if I find it.....
Got it Flower Quest an old game from 2006 but not bad. Worth a look

Dynastia
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Dynastia on Jul 7, 10 7:44 AM
Thank you all.
Have a great day.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Jul 7, 10 10:03 AM
Boring for me but it might be great for younger ages. It's kind of like a childish version of Bejeweled. No real challenge, uninteresting graphics, rather slow gameplay, and nothing special.

owlgirl61
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by owlgirl61 on Jul 7, 10 11:07 AM
I love M3 games, but not this one. Halfway through 2nd tower with 20mins to go on demo, so it's not going to be a long game.

Looked promising but isn't, just boring.

kevabear
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by kevabear on Jul 7, 10 3:10 PM
Well I made it to about 30 minutes left of the hour and uninstalled. I like M3s, but found this one pretty repetitive and boring. Don't think I would even buy at the DD price.

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Jul 25, 10 4:04 PM
Maybe the game name is 'Magic Vines'?

This was a very well done match 3 game with great graphics. Unfortunately, playing it just seems rather on the boring side to me for some reason. I'll pass on this one.

Go to: