ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

Some tips for play (no spoilers)

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jul 6, 10 11:30 AM
Two general comments: I made it as far as the Plant Tower without running out of time in spite of being slow due to limited mobility. Also, starting with the plant tower, immovable tokens are introduced.

The thing I found most baffling at first was the bonuses that appear on the lover left in a wheel shape. Each bonus is fed by the energy of three colors of matches. The colors are shown on the "closed" bonus so you know what they are. As you gather each color, the relevant part of the cover opens. Once all three parts are open, the bonus is ready. You need to be aware that when two bonuses use the same color, using either one depletes that color, so the relevant cover on the other one will close again. This makes it seem like a bonus that was "ready" suddenly became "unready" again. You just need to remember that each color is available only once, until you refill it again. This means that once you have four or five bonuses available, you really need to plan how to use them. Think of them as choices, not additive.

The big bonus you get for matching five of the elements you have "freed" is really worth it, because you not only get a big score, you get many colors for your "little" bonuses. (contined . . .)

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

Re:Some tips for play (no spoilers)

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jul 6, 10 11:42 AM
(continued here)

I have found that unlike other matches (which need to be linear), a match-5 can be made with a line, a T shape, an L shape, or a + shape.

Of the bonuses on the "wheel," my favorite is the second one to appear (it looks like a little jelly roll). It gives you a pattern of four tokens of the same color (you cannot choose the place or the color). This seems not worth that much, except that every few times, it will give you an easy way to get an instant match-5, so be alert for that. Being able to make the T shape seems the most likely.

The easiest bonus to get is the row or column blaster (you don't get to choose which). With a little bit of attention, you can use it well. First, don't use it before making any really good matches that might be wiped out by it. Second, try to combine it with a match (trade it with a token that will create a match next to the blaster). That way you will knock out more than just a row or column.

I hope this helps make up for the somewhat slim instruction in the game. Enjoy!

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re:Some tips for play (no spoilers)

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Aug 3, 12 11:06 PM
ecblisa wrote:The easiest bonus to get is the row or column blaster (you don't get to choose which).
In another thread, it's claimed that you get a row blaster when you match 4 in a row and a column blaster for 4 in a column.

May be true, for all I know.

Go to: