Howdah
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

Spring Ahead to less Gifting

[Post New]by Howdah on Mar 11, 18 5:38 PM
So this annual insanity of Daylight Savings Time started today. My MC day, which has been beginning at 4:00 PM now begins at 5:00 PM. i have been staying up until midnight to do the second gifting, but do not plan to stay up until 1:00 AM to do second gifting. On days I don't have to be places in the morning I might be able to get a second gifting in on time that I can squeeze in a third before end of MC day, but at least two days a week I won't have time in the morning, and the other days are iffy. With 40 friends, I was only gifting once every 2 2/3 days, now will only be about every 3 1/2 days.

Is the US the only country to participate in this madness? What are we saving daylight for and how do we use it? They used to say it was to help the farmers. So, the cows will wake up an hour earlier now, then start sleeping in an hour later in the fall? Someone said it is like having a blanket that is too short and cutting a foot off the top and sewing it on the bottom to make it longer.

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

Re:Spring Ahead to less Gifting

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Mar 11, 18 5:56 PM
Like anything in the US ..... it seems that once it becomes a "law" .... it takes heaven and earth to be moved to undo it.....there are many laws passed by Congress that were only supposed to have a temporary life span.....but, unless they have the "foresight" to put in the law that it expires in 20 years or so, then we are stuck with them because of the blind idjits who have become permanent fixtures (in Congress).

For this reason, I seldom vote for the incumbent!

Edited on 03/11/2018 at 5:57:54 PM PST

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Mar 11, 18 5:59 PM
And, what is so amazing about the practice ..... it has been proven over and over and over that employee performance degrades for at least a week after the time changes.....not to mention those who are late for work when the clock moves forward in the Spring!

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on Mar 11, 18 6:00 PM
Don't know who "they" are, but there's a decent article on daylight saving time in the US on Wikipedia.

It has nothing to do with farmers. It was first introduced in Germany during World War I. The purpose was to conserve fuel. Less evening hours in the dark means less electricity used to light homes.

The hours of dark and light during daylight saving time correspond better to most people's sleeping hours than standard time does. So the thought was to 'save' an hour of morning daylight, when many people were asleep, and move it to the end of the day when most people were awake.

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on Mar 11, 18 6:01 PM
Annelliegram wrote:And, what is so amazing about the practice ..... it has been proven over and over and over that employee performance degrades for at least a week after the time changes.....not to mention those who are late for work when the clock moves forward in the Spring!

The answer is simple. Stay on daylight saving time year round! I love DST. Hate standard time when it can get dark as early as 6 PM.

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Mar 11, 18 6:03 PM
And, I believe the US joined in because the factories could also save electricity.

Regardless, the time for its usefulness has long since past.

susiewastaken
Salmon
Salmon
2,847 Posts

[Post New]by susiewastaken on Mar 11, 18 6:04 PM
Gifting isn't suppose to be stressful. This is a game. Your friends will understand.

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Mar 11, 18 6:05 PM
TiramaSue wrote:The answer is simple. Stay on daylight saving time year round! I love DST. Hate standard time when it can get dark as early as 6 PM.
Personally, I don't care which way they put it......as long as they put it and leave it. ..... and as long as the WHOLE COUNTRY goes the same way.

[Post New]by whitebutterfly54 on Mar 11, 18 6:31 PM
I agree. I don't care which way it goes, just pick one and stay there. Whether it's all in my head or not, I really drag when an hour is taken away. I can't imagine who would complain about keeping it where it is. Then again, there's always someone.

brynhrt
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by brynhrt on Mar 11, 18 6:33 PM
I agree with Annelliegram. Let's leave it alone and all be on the same time line be it either daylight or standard.

Angelfish
Angelfish
1,060 Posts

[Post New]by 1457051 on Mar 11, 18 9:26 PM
I play a game with my husband and a couple friends.. time change, I send texts. I can't believe it's so dark/light out! Yes, I am strange...
I prefer it staying light longer in the day than in the morning.
My dog, on the other hand is still in the old time zone

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Mar 12, 18 1:39 PM
Since Arizona doesn't observe DST, we don't have to deal with changing the time back & forth, but instead, with switching from Mountain Time to Pacific Time. Trying to remember which season is which. Trying to figure out what time your favorite show is on now, or how many hours ahead of you your friend across the country is now.

I'd love it if the rest of the country joined us & dispensed with switching back & forth. You want to stay on DST all year? OK. Then I'd be on Pacific Time all year. I'm fine with that.

AuntieRoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,393 Posts

[Post New]by AuntieRoo on Mar 12, 18 2:15 PM
Oh Druid,
I discovered one of the joys of an iPad is the big clock.I have added a few cities in the U.S.,plus several in other countries.I know exactly how many hours behind or ahead my friends are & it updates automatically with any local time changes.

Edited on 03/12/2018 at 2:17:05 PM PST

[Post New]by crownofthornes on Mar 12, 18 2:20 PM
Here in the UK our clocks will go forward March 25th. I think that they ought to just leave the time alone. I don't see the benefit in messing with it!

Firedragon13
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by Firedragon13 on Mar 12, 18 2:28 PM
Not only was it to save electricity during the war, which was generated by coal they need the coal for the military.....

LynnNfld
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by LynnNfld on Mar 12, 18 3:14 PM
Here's a funny about DST. About 25 years ago, Newfoundland had the brilliant idea that if DST was good, double DST would be even better. So, they did it. No one could get their kids to bed before midnight, business calls to the rest of Canada were nigh on impossible, and worst of all, the pubs lost a ton of revenue, because it just felt too darn sunny to start drinking.
Well, at least MC wasn't around then, or there well may have been an uprising.

Luckypool
Clownfish
Clownfish
607 Posts

[Post New]by Luckypool on Mar 12, 18 4:17 PM
It's the same for the UK, though we haven't 'done' our change yet! A load of nonsense really. We used to be allowed to blame Scottish farmers, but it's all about saving energy (now).
I await being put right!

jEMSW
Minnow
Minnow
294 Posts

[Post New]by jEMSW on Mar 12, 18 5:41 PM
They say it saves on energy bills in places like the Schools. I can't see how it saves anything. Our school hours are staggered - saves on the town buying more buses.

Our High school hours are from 7:20 - 1:40, Middle school 7:45 - 2, Elementary 9:10 - 3:25.

Used to turn them forward the 1st Sunday Apr & turn them back the last Sunday in Oct.
Now we do it 4 weeks earlier, which means as soon as it begins to get light outside we move the clocks forward & it's dark again.

I hate losing an hour of sleep every Spring, & I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with the extra hour in the fall .

All it does is screw-up everyone's Circadian Cycle twice a year.

Fortunately in New England the time change doesn't effect my ability to gift
DST times are now between 8 pm - 4 am, 4 - 12 pm, & to 8.

susanlnels
Clownfish
Clownfish
565 Posts

[Post New]by susanlnels on Mar 13, 18 3:02 PM
I will be missing some of my giftings due to the 1 am gifting cycle too!! Some nights I am just too sleepy to stay up till then. Midnight was a challenge at times .

All we can do is to do our best and I understand if others gift less often too.

Happy gaming!!

Sue (Suenamie)

amina046
Herring
Herring
330 Posts

[Post New]by amina046 on Mar 13, 18 4:42 PM
It is horrible my day change is at 2 am! I sometimes had trouble with 1 but now I cant do it cept if I go out late. And my mornings are very busy so gifts just got less generous.
Sorry friends

Go to: