bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 8, 10 1:04 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

fauxgina
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air

[Post New]by fauxgina on Jul 8, 10 6:32 AM
I really do need to stop buying these Dream Chronicle Games.

As for this new direction the Dream Chronicles have taken... some don't seem to like it that much, whereas I thought it had a lot of potential (potential being the operative word). I liked the idea of using a map to navigate around different areas -- but there was so much of the map that went unexplored! I imagine that future games in this series will invoke the rest of the elements -- water, earth, and fire -- so that goes some way towards explaining why the map was so underutilized in this game. However, there is also a serious lack of any meaningful exploration during gameplay. Most of the places you visit are composed of one to three different areas, and you "explore" by picking up pretty much all the items you will need in that screen while you're there and not really having to figure out what goes where amongst different screens. I played the Challenge mode, and as promised the puzzles were more difficult than when I played Casual during the demo, but the game in general was hardly challenging.

The storylines in Dream Chronicles have never been that inspriring, but the graphics and general style of the games I felt sort of made up for that. Although the graphics and style do not disappoint in "The Book of Air," it seems to be style over substance. Maybe developers listened to players who hated that cursed maze sequence in one of the earlier games and decided to dumb it all down. Game length is fairly short -- I think I finished in 2 - 2.5 hours. You barely scratch the surface of the environment before the credits are rolling.

Game was not worth $6.99 price tag. If you're a big fan, maybe pay that for it; if you're curious, wait until the Daily Deal and buy it for $2.99. If you're not sure about the series, demo the game by all means but what you'll find in the demo does not, in my opinion, get any better as you continue to play. This is not the worst game I've ever played, and for that I'll give it out of five. One for being better than "Penny Dreadfuls: Sweeney Todd" and one for the graphics/style..

Edited on 07/08/2010 at 6:40:03 AM PST

[Post New]by happygrams18 on Jul 8, 10 8:54 AM
So disappointed. I could not even finish the demo as I just was not getting into the game. Graphics are good but I just struggled with enjoying everything else. I will probably finish the demo and then decide...but right now...it's a NO.

Foxy12345
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Foxy12345 on Jul 8, 10 9:11 AM
Very disappointing. I wasted a credit on this. Would definitely like to return this one. Don't waste your time! Boring

dindaz
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by dindaz on Jul 8, 10 10:03 AM
Played the demo and thought seemed OK, concerned it might be a rip off though if Fauxgina is correct and only 2-2.5 hours (I got to half way through chapter 2 in demo). Looks good and I like some of the puzzles. I might hang on til i have another credit rather than being impatient and buying now.

[Post New]by hunnydew on Jul 8, 10 10:41 AM
I liked the game but agree that it was WAY too short. The graphics were very nice and the game play was smooth (no technical issues) but I would have liked to have gotten a lot more play time out of a $6.99 game. Hopefully there will be a continuation with the other elements and they will be longer.

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on Jul 8, 10 10:57 AM
I think all of the DC games are too short to actually buy, especially when you can get through 2 of the 5 chapters in the hour demo and have 10 minutes left! The others were just as bad as this one, time wise. I agree with the others - the graphics are wonderful. The music is quiet, peaceful and calming, but music won't get 6.99 from me, lol. Gets a thumb up for graphics and music and a BIG thumbs down for the length of the game and for the entertainment value - unless you LIKE being put to sleep by a game, that is. NO BUY FOR ME!

quizzly
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by quizzly on Jul 8, 10 11:50 AM
I found the game incredibly short. I bought it from Germany in spite of the hefty cost - the Euro being somewhat underestimated by the company? - and found it hard to believe when after less than two hours of gameplay the credits came up.

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Jul 8, 10 11:55 AM
I did buy the game and enjoyed playing what there was of it. However, it is short and in my opinion the ending was very abrupt. The first two chapters seemed to take longer then the final 3 and the crystals really needed to be more interactive with the game. Meaning the crystals were too easy to find and so many extras that some reward should be finding them. Maybe opening a new area.

I have to agree with other postings and this is a first for me, but the voice of the girl was very annoying! I turned it off.

The graphics i enjoyed, just wish there had been more to it.

I would give this game a 2.5-3 out of 5 for the shortness and the annoying voice.

pooters8
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by pooters8 on Jul 8, 10 12:15 PM
Thanks all fishies for your comments. I was going to buy simply because it is a Dream Chronicles game, but after reviewing all the negative comments, I have decided to sit this one out. Length of the game is an important feature and certainly don't want to finish in 2 hours. Definitely not worth the bang for the buck.

BigTfromAV
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by BigTfromAV on Jul 8, 10 12:23 PM
Really disappointed in this one. I have really enjoyed the past entries in the Dream Chronicles series. This one is a little short and the puzzles are a little annoying. Won't be anxiously awaiting the next one like I was this one.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Jul 8, 10 1:06 PM
Just be glad you didn't buy the CE like I did. I was so excited to finally see it and bought it right away. Very disappointing in comparison to the previous ones.

[Post New]by TerriA92021 on Jul 8, 10 1:58 PM
Very short and not challenging at all. With only 4 places to visit, and everything you need pretty much set out for you, it was just a matter of picking the items up and putting them where they belonged. Not much fun at all. Wouldn't waste the money on it.

[Post New]by happygrams18 on Jul 8, 10 2:00 PM
pixielily wrote:I did buy the game and enjoyed playing what there was of it. However, it is short and in my opinion the ending was very abrupt. The first two chapters seemed to take longer then the final 3 and the crystals really needed to be more interactive with the game. Meaning the crystals were too easy to find and so many extras that some reward should be finding them. Maybe opening a new area.

I have to agree with other postings and this is a first for me, but the voice of the girl was very annoying! I turned it off.

The graphics i enjoyed, just wish there had been more to it.

I would give this game a 2.5-3 out of 5 for the shortness and the annoying voice.

I certainly agree with the annoying voice..too fake and it changed often as if they were trying to do an British accent..which was poorly done. The graphics are the only thing going for this game.

divegal
Minnow
Minnow
246 Posts

[Post New]by divegal on Jul 8, 10 2:36 PM
I agree with the general consensus here, and what is so shocking for me is that I absolutely adored the earlier DC games, and this one seems to have no connection to them. Who is this girl with this annoying voice, and what happened to the storyline?

And yeah, I'm a really slow player but based on the demo I'm thinking it's not even worth the price, and I can't believe I'm thinking that about a DC game!

I'm sorry for those who bought the CE. I really wanted it but knew not to expect much from the reviews, but still didn't think it would be this disappointing. Maybe this really is a DD game. I'm astonished.

As I don't care for predominantly HOGs, aside from the recent quirky little Puzzle Bots I haven't found a game I could get immersed in since February. Either I've become pickier or quality is going down or both. Please bring back some quality puzzley adventures that aren't dark and gloomy -- like what this should have been. Thank you for listening.

[Post New]by Jazzy212006 on Jul 8, 10 5:59 PM
I was really excited about this new DC game! don't even know if i want to Demo it anymore!

jacxp
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by jacxp on Jul 8, 10 6:49 PM
Very disappointed as its so short and not at all challenging. Wish I had tried the demo first, but, like many other gamers thought it would be as good, if not better than previous dream chronicles. I would not recommend this game at all.

[Post New]by taube22 on Jul 8, 10 7:32 PM
I really, really wanted to like this one, but it was so disappointing. I played the demo when it came out as a CE and was really underwhelmed, but since I feel compelled to complete series, I figured I'd try it again and see if I could justify the purchase at the regular price. Unfortunately, no.

I'm a fairly quick player, such that most HOGs are two hours or less for me, and I did find the first three Dream Chronicles pretty short. However, I really enjoyed them and they were very beautiful and thoughtful games, which made up the difference for me. The Book of Air is not only obviously much shorter (judging from how far I got in the demo and the walkthrough) but it is dull, dull, dull. It was much too simple and it felt more like cleaning up piles of misplaced parts and dream jewels than actually solving puzzles!

I also absolutely agree with everyone that complained about the girl's voice. I don't mind weird voiceovers (which are not all that uncommon) but the fact that you couldn't skip her slow, ponderous thoughts was torture. It also felt like every new scene or change, the 'thoughts' that she was sharing were basically summaries of the plot that you had already found out in the last 10 minutes. Weird and annoying.

To everyone wondering who the girl is, she mentions in at least one place that she is Lyra, that her grandfather is Tangle, and her father is Fidget - so she is the daughter of the character that we all played as in the first three iterations of this series. The thing that really gets me is - (spoiler I guess, if you haven't played the third one?) at the end of chosen child, wasn't she still a little girl that had been kidnapped and her mother was still looking for her? Also, she was 'chosen' so had to be kept safe or something like that? Lol, it's been a while since I played that one. Anyway, my point is that it seemed like there was this whole other plot going that has been totally dropped, and Lyra has aged as well. Where did the time go and what happened? Perhaps these do get answered at some point in the full game after the demo, but I kind of doubt it. That's frustrating when the only thing the game has in common with the rest of the series are character names and aesthetic elements.

Overall, although I loved this series and had high hopes for this game, I will be waiting until it is on a $2.99 sale.

Cinnamone
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Cinnamone on Jul 8, 10 7:38 PM
I also bought the DC Collector's Edition Book of Air without testing it, thinking like other players that it would be a sure thing and that the previous Dream chronicles guaranteed the quality, the fun and the challenge of this last one.
Of course, the graphics are beautiful but that's about it, I'm afraid. I didn't care for that voice either all along the game. The storyline didn't get to me at all interested in the gameplay. I lost interest very soon and when I finally finished the game, I had already forgotten the beginning of the story. What was I looking for again?
Ok two games out of three in the series were fantastic, so that's pretty good...
Just hoping that the next one will bring me back to those wonderful Dream Chronicles

muse05
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by muse05 on Jul 8, 10 7:54 PM
Very disappointed with this game. I was hoping it would be as good as the other Dream Chronicles but it was a very BIG let down.

Go to: