bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Grace's Quest: To Catch An Art Thief

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 8, 10 1:11 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Grace's Quest: To Catch An Art Thief? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Grace's Quest: To Catch An Art Thief

[Post New]by indigo_ladybug on Jul 8, 10 1:38 AM
Classic HOG, art related.

You play as Grace, a new University graduate who heads out to Europe to visit a friend (wish I'd had that kind of money when I graduated

You meet up with an old friend, go to the museum, and everything goes wrong from there.

You are made to search for (sometimes awfully tiny tiny objects), some are hidden cleverly, some are easy to find.

There are mini games and puzzles sprinkled here and there.

Its one of those move to one location, finish, then move on.

Pros:
Graphics are _mostly_ clear and crisp.
Music is nice, not annoying, and not overwhelming.
The different mini games make for a nice (much needed break) between HOG scenes.
The interface is clean, simple, and use friendly.
The "environment" the characters live in is "alive", the cat moves cutely, the fish swims, its not all static.

CONS.
Some items are way too small, and blurry at times. Not many, but enough that they gave me a migraine.
Custom cursor - not sure if you can't disable it, if you can't it may cause problems for some.

I laughed when I saw the painting to be completed, I'd never paint with that kind of brush (I'm an artist), but hey, its a game!

Would I buy it, no, I'll be deleting it with 42 minutes to spare. I can't handle the tiny objects, and when stuff is to be found in piles and piles and PILES of junk, it reminds me too much of my place! I normally play these games to escape, NOT be reminded.

Those HOG fanatics will probly like this one.

Enjoy! ladybughugs.

[Post New]by indigo_ladybug on Jul 8, 10 1:41 AM
hmm, my review is not showing up. for whatever reason. BUT, it is showing up in my posts. NOW its showing up.

Anyways, I tested the game on a laptop with 8GB RAM, windows 7 without a glitch. Hope I'm not jinxing it here.

Edited on 07/08/2010 at 1:42:11 AM PST

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Jul 8, 10 2:05 AM
indigo_ladybug wrote: when stuff is to be found in piles and piles and PILES of junk, it reminds me too much of my place! I normally play these games to escape, NOT be reminded.

I resemble that remark!

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Jul 8, 10 2:10 AM

I quite enjoyed the first 32 minutes of the demo.

Lots of different things to do.

A decent story so far, and some humor thrown in.

(Humor is always good.)

I will finish up the demo later, but I am pretty sure this will be a sale for me.

b00kworm
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

[Post New]by b00kworm on Jul 8, 10 2:15 AM
I like the game a lot, even after just 15 minutes of demo, so I'll invest one of my punch card reward to buy it.

It's not a dark-themed HOG, for those who've complained about the lot of the them lately (not that I would complain...). The graphics are nice and though some of the items are small, there's an additional hint function when you hover the mouse cursor over the name of an object - you'll see a shadow of the object. The custom cursor can't be turned off, so it might be a good idea for those of you who've had problems with custom cursors in the past to play the one hour of demo before you buy it.

[Post New]by girouard347 on Jul 8, 10 2:22 AM
I've lived in both France and Spain, but don't remember either of them being so messy! LOL

I played the demo and it seemed pretty easy to me. Art work was well done, clear and colorful, but not with the realism that I prefer in games. I didn't have much of a problem with hidden objects being too tiny (although I can imagine that some people would!), but some were really well camouflaged. The characters were cartoons. Still, it was a pleasant diversion. My one real complaint was that the puzzles were amazingly easy -- no thought required.

It's a good game for a beginner HOG fan and/or kids. It's a "no-buy" for me, however.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Jul 8, 10 4:18 AM
It only took minutes for me to decide I hated it. The childish graphics are for younger ages.

The thing I really hate about it is the way the cursor moves when you click on a few things too quickly. The cursor won't let you click on more than maybe three things before it does it "floating around" thing. I hate that. Developers need to let us click on things to find them without getting dizzy from those darned cursors.

mountfalcon
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by mountfalcon on Jul 8, 10 4:40 AM
Another early colour game - I can't do them without a struggle because of a common colour vision problem, shared by many other people, which developers still don't seem to be aware of. It's very easy to find half a dozen colours which are so distinct that people like me have no problem - but obviously too much trouble for some. Other than that, sorting through piles of junk is no fun, just a chore, and the screens aren't especially attractive. Another one I can live without. One final point, why do so many games start with the music set at maximum? Start it at mid-volume, please, especially if it isn't possible straight away to turn it down (or off when it's this unpleasant)

[Post New]by kporter007 on Jul 8, 10 6:39 AM
girouard347 wrote:My one real complaint was that the puzzles were amazingly easy -- no thought required.

It's a good game for a beginner HOG fan and/or kids. It's a "no-buy" for me, however.

I agree the puzzles were more doing than thinking. Dragging dots does not challenge me. I won't be getting it for me, but I may see if my 5 year old wants it, she is mainly into Time Management though.

Other than that the game was entertaining, I enjoyed the graphics and storyline.

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Jul 8, 10 7:27 AM
I bought it after the 60 mins were up because I thought it was an OK game and am regretting it now. There was barely another hour's play after the demo. I know some players are really quick - much quicker than me so they may be very disappointed.

I feel as though I've wasted one of my bonus rewards.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jul 8, 10 7:40 AM
All I can say is if I have to use 5 hints to get past the first junk pile in the first scene forget it. I sometimes think piles are a fair challenge, but this wasn't even a pile of stuff, the whole room looked like a direct hit. Was there a tornado in some prologue I missed?

Everything was just too far over the edge for my taste, I usually enjoy comic or cartoon style stories and drawn characters but this was just too hard core i.e. gross, like a teenage boy would expect, may I say trashy? Then struggling through near blindness to find objects, comes a mini puzzle so simple I could do it with my eyes shut. I gave it an hour of my life, got nothing back to enjoy. Maybe it was supposed to be a satire of a crime story but to me they just didn't pull it off, Some subtle humor please for a clue. Just making everyone look so ugly didn't appeal to me either. By now we've all figured out how to open stuff to find something inside, or move stuff for the tool to open more stuff, nothing new there.

How is she all alone in an airport able to take some passenger's purse and scan it for her missing ring? She learn that in art school? Where are all the people, and who could trash the Louvre like that? Story just too absurd for me, too much of a stretch to even border on being "immersive". And shortest music loop ever in a game, not sure how I lasted an hour, maybe I dozed off

Oh, and I used the wrong color paint on the canvas and didn't see a reset button so had to skip that, the only fun part. Maybe it was just too jarring after an hour of the other release the softer Mia's Memorabilia. Hope the game gets some fans, but sorry, count me out.

Edited on 07/08/2010 at 7:53:56 AM PST

jinocchio49
Flounder
Flounder
2,255 Posts

[Post New]by jinocchio49 on Jul 8, 10 8:26 AM
I truly enjoyed this game and will probably buy it. For those who think it is a child's game... I am not a child nor am I a beginner. Sometimes it's just nice to be able to relax and enjoy a game without a lot of complicated things to do. If it seems like a child's game to some, so be it, as for me, it's fun. I guess you could say it's because I've probably just entered my second childhood LOL.

Jin

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jul 8, 10 9:13 AM
At the airport scene the objects are either too small or hidden under other items , and piles of junk. Not a buy for me.

nat_pink25
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,920 Posts

[Post New]by nat_pink25 on Jul 8, 10 9:16 AM
I really liked this game!! im gonna wait for the next sale so i can buy it!

It has a different story and some different puzzles every-time so ti doesn't keep you bored.. it's a good game overall.

karen876
Catfish
Catfish
1,524 Posts

[Post New]by karen876 on Jul 8, 10 9:19 AM
Nice enough HOG but WAY too easy for me. I think it's an okay game for beginners or kids. No buy from me.

[Post New]by eltugger on Jul 8, 10 10:15 AM
Does anyone recall seeing that same airport in another game? Maybe last year.
This game is definately toooooo easy. And boring.
I just bought the skymist game (apparently desperate for a good hog) and this one just doesn't cut it.
Not a buy (not even at 2.99)

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jul 8, 10 12:27 PM
As puzzledone said:
" Maybe it was just too jarring after an hour of the other release the softer Mia's Memorabilia."

I also used multiple hints in first scene. At least one scene where you have
to search with flashlight, not something I enjoy. "Find all of the rings."
with no idea of how many! Incomplete item lists: have to find one
or two before you get to see the rest. THEN, I got to spot the
difference again not a favorite and again, "Find all" with no
idea how many. Knew then it was a no buy for sure.

And if you have motion problems, that first scene with the rolling
luggage belt and the moving airplanes outside of the window might
give you a problem like my headache

Been a while since I've been so negative, but still have the
headache.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jul 8, 10 12:33 PM
Didn't hold my interest at all. I kept thinking of how much I loved the dream day series and the agatha christie ones. No buy for me.

[Post New]by indigo_ladybug on Jul 8, 10 12:36 PM
mountfalcon wrote:Another early colour game - I can't do them without a struggle because of a common colour vision problem, shared by many other people, which developers still don't seem to be aware of. It's very easy to find half a dozen colours which are so distinct that people like me have no problem - but obviously too much trouble for some. Other than that, sorting through piles of junk is no fun, just a chore, and the screens aren't especially attractive. Another one I can live without. One final point, why do so many games start with the music set at maximum? Start it at mid-volume, please, especially if it isn't possible straight away to turn it down (or off when it's this unpleasant)

MountFalcon, its to make sure you are TOTALLY awake (or if you're trying to sneak a game in the middle of the night, everyone in the neighborhood knows it

Could you please explain the color problem (I ask this respectfully). I know on my dad's side there is color blindness, but I was not aware of other issues regarding colors. Please?

Go to: