cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

Your Opinion

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Mar 15, 18 9:23 AM
Why do you think a game would be produced without all of the modern standards we are used to having...custom settings....transport maps...etc ? Is it more expensive to make a game with these conveniences?

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

Re:Your Opinion

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Mar 15, 18 11:19 AM
Honestly, I think they were attempting to make the game similar to the older style of Dark Parables,, but I don't understand why they didn't return to their roots with the famous Cursed Objects that are activated in an entirely different scene. Makes you wonder if Eipix (the producer in this case) secretly didn't want BT to do it better, proving them wrong

I also think that BT hasn't been in the game for a while.

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

Your Opinion

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Mar 15, 18 11:27 AM
cathybobcat wrote:Why do you think a game would be produced without all of the modern standards we are used to having...custom settings....transport maps...etc ? Is it more expensive to make a game with these conveniences?

I think maybe they heard it's not hard enough or we only like old games. Well, let's see if that is indeed accurate. Maybe it costs less but maybe not. I think morphs have a extra cost. The effects for the parables I think would have costs also. The 6 chapters are generous.

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Mar 15, 18 12:17 PM
Another big question for me is, why did BT take this series back? Maybe Eipix was getting ready to dump it this time, & BF reached out to BT? Dunno.

ETA: As the publisher, it would make no sense for Eipix to not want this game to do well. They're established devs, & I really don't see them conducting themselves in such an unprofessional, immature manner.

Edited on 03/16/2018 at 1:58:55 AM PST

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Mar 15, 18 5:55 PM
frankly, for what it's worth - (if you folks don't mind) - I have found over the past year or more, the CE games coming out seem to have less and less "extras" in them.

I have been buying less and less games (pretty much all I buy are the CE HOPA games) - we are down to 2 a week (sometimes 3 if one comes out on a Tuesday). Sometimes I will buy just to have a new game to play, even though it does not compare to some of the older games.

The CE HOPA games from about mid 2014 thru 2016 - 99% (in my opinion) were awesome games - I have replayed pretty much all of these 2, 3 or 4 times over - because the newer ones just have not "cut the mustard".

I am not a "hard-core" player of these games (I play to relax and enjoy & always play easy) - but I love to search the different scenes for all kinds of collectibles, whatever they may be - morphing or not (but absolutely LOVE morphing items !).

Don't know if pressure is being put on developers to keep pumping out games as fast as they can and are then just pushing out cookie-cutter games as fast as they can (carrying on a series to the point of "enough already" for a particular series) to the detriment of the quality of the older games.

So many of the games are now flashing lights, and way too many gimmicks that are used now. I will be digging even deeper into my older games to replay.

would really like to see some new series happening - murder mysteries type - rather than always aliens, creatures and ghosts.

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Mar 16, 18 11:30 AM
Maybe they are just being cheap....cutting back. If the name BT wasn't there would you have associated them with this? Is this the quality of their past productions? I don't think so.

Would you manufacture a car without the standards and expect people to buy it? Would you buy a car without those standards and pay the same price as those that do include the standards?

The reason for this is more than just nostalgia. Had there been a conscientious regard for quality and up to date standards, things would have been a lot better for everyone.

JRDALLAS
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by JRDALLAS on Mar 16, 18 5:00 PM
This game goes on forever and ever. Boring game jumps everywhere. Going to finish it sometime next week (it will take that long at the pace it goes).

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Mar 17, 18 3:25 AM
There are morphing items (cursed objects) in this game. The original Dark Parables never had a map that transported; perhaps they thought the player might like to use their brain to work out how to get to a particular scene, instead of being led around through the entire game. They also never had a custom mode of play; there are still some standard HOPA's that don't offer this.

If you make the game so easy the cat could play it, what's the point?? I don't want a game where I don't even have to think about what to do next. I like a game that requires some thought, not one where I just allow the game to lead me around without having to think about where or what I need to go or do.

Judging by the state of this country and others, I prefer to stay away from 'modern standards'; they've dropped far too low. As for games, I only judge them against the specific developers previous releases and personally I'm delighted Blue Tea has taken this game back from Eipix; they probably saw how it was going the same way as all their others and rescued it from the inevitable mediocrity.

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Mar 18, 18 10:59 AM
i don't see why most people don't like eipix. personally i think eipix and amax/ers make the best games anymore. this dp game was just as good as their previous games. maybe i was playing a different game than those who didn't like it. i loved this game. oh well i guess opinions are like blanketyblankblank everyone has one.

[Post New]by Razorhorn on Mar 24, 18 1:34 AM
For me the style came off as 'beginning of the Return of Blue Tea', so I'm more forgiving of the fact that it is simpler than BT at their best. They've got to rebuild their PC games 'empire' after being gone for quite a while - kudos to Eipix for collaborating to get them back into it!

The DP series may have required more 'intricate continuity' than Eipix wanted to deal with - as much as we love it and it makes DP such an enjoyable series, it can be a constraint on creativity for developers. Having to check 14 games worth of continuity before you finalize just your story would get old fast if it wasn't your core project.

The lack of a teleporting map I've heard explained away as 'the detective doesn't teleport' - ok fine. But I agree that the morphing/cursed objects should go back to being set off by some action - give you something to look for during all that backtracking!

Custom difficulty would have to be more expensive, and take more time, possibly even requiring the game engine itself to be altered. Each 'piece' of the difficulty settings (hints, sparkles, indicators, etc) would have to be separately coded and linked. I don't know much about coding/software design, so if anyone can clarify please do!

I think the next game will really be what BT's return should be judged by - they've had 'Salt Princess' to get back on their feet, they should have their ducks in a row (matches in a box?) for next one.

I, for one, will miss Eipix's credits at least. Three cheers to them for not simply shelving the DP series but helping BT take it back!

j62janet
Clownfish
Clownfish
638 Posts

[Post New]by j62janet on Mar 24, 18 1:58 AM
Although the game is good, not having a interactive map is a pain, it makes it more difficult to get around, why in this day and age haven't they done this, most games now have interactive maps.
Can the developers in future provide this sort of map.

peggyjuneybug
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by peggyjuneybug on Apr 19, 18 1:19 PM
I agree with JRDALLAS this game just goes on and on no relief in site.

Go to: