Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

This is not an adventure game

[Post New]by lackoo on Jul 11, 10 12:29 AM

Edited on 07/11/2010 at 12:30:48 AM PST

Re:This is not an adventure game

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on Jul 11, 10 12:57 AM
Is it thumbs down because you wanted an adventure game release, or because you didn't notice that it's described as a hidden object game ???????

lackoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

[Post New]by lackoo on Jul 11, 10 1:06 AM
alvertis5706 wrote:Is it thumbs down because you wanted an adventure game release, or because you didn't notice that it's described as a hidden object game ???????
thumbs down,because BFG advertising it as an adventure game ( see product page )
PC Game Downloads > Adventure Games > Time Dreamer

[Post New]by CheerfulDragon8 on Jul 11, 10 1:21 AM
BFG can group a game under a number of categories. For example, Flux Family Secrets: The Rabbit Hole appears as the #1 game on the Puzzle, Adventure and Hidden Object download pages.

So Time Dreamer may well be an Adventure game, but it's also a Hidden Object game and possibly a Puzzle game, too. (I haven't played the demo yet.) It's just that BFG chose to list it as an Adventure game when they released it as TGT.

bobobear
Flounder
Flounder
2,315 Posts

[Post New]by bobobear on Jul 11, 10 1:39 AM
I have only played 30 min of the demo and I like it. I came out of the game to buy it. I like the creepy music and sound effects. The graphics are clear and sharp.
Some may have problems with small objects to find but the hint system works great so far. Again, I've only played for 30 min so I'm going to go back and play some more for awhile. Looks like a buy for me

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jul 11, 10 1:40 AM
It's an adventure game... not a difficult one but that's ok. It's a nice blend of adventure and iHog... buy for me too.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

This is not an adventure game

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jul 11, 10 1:46 AM
lackoo wrote:

Hi lackoo ... are you maybe confusing adventure game with large file adventure games like Syberia?? Adventure game really just means a game where you play the protagonist in an interactive story and solve problems to progress in the game. They'll usually have some back and forth between scenes and you make the decisions on where to go at least to a degree.

But sorry you didn't like the game... it's pretty fun... but I can see where LFA fans would think it too easy and fast moving.

b00kworm
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

[Post New]by b00kworm on Jul 11, 10 1:50 AM
Are we going to get this discussion for every IHOG that's out here on BFG?

Yes, from a traditional point of view those games aren't adventures (the large file adventures usually are more close to a classical adventure), but still, they're games with an inventory, with puzzles and problems to solve and with a certain amount of moving between locations. That makes them close enough to 'real' adventure games for me.

besstan
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by besstan on Jul 11, 10 2:06 AM
sorry game not for me
i agree with the other fishies on this game besstsn

yasure
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by yasure on Jul 11, 10 3:42 AM
besstan wrote:sorry game not for me
i agree with the other fishies on this game besstsn

DITTO

divegal
Minnow
Minnow
246 Posts

[Post New]by divegal on Jul 11, 10 3:50 AM
Thank you for this thread -- it is an issue for me. I don't like HOGs and I rate my "adventure" games partly on how few HOG scenes there are and how many puzzles and interactions there are. And of course, the quality of each. But if it's 1/2 HOG, I sure want to know, and I sure don't want to buy. 1/4 I might put up with if it's really good. But I'd prefer none, like Nancy Drew, Sam & Max, et al. -- to me those are clearly adventure games.

Given that, anyone have a take on whether I'd like this? Thank you

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jul 11, 10 3:56 AM
I'd be happier if BFG kept to IHOG for this kind of game and Adventure for LFAs.
I read the full description ...

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Jul 11, 10 4:01 AM
This is on the download page as hidden object. I do not see adventure anywhere. I think you should try the game and see how you like it before turning thumbs down because of a word (adventure). It is unfair to the developers. I am buying it myself. Please don't be angry because this is my opinion only..

Edited on 07/11/2010 at 4:02:41 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 11, 10 4:28 AM
I'm a little confused on the adventure classifier as well. I was using the term "large file game" and someone corrected me to say they're called adventure.

Anyway, the best way to figure it out is to check the forums. Kind of silly to complain about something you didn't fully research before buying.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jul 11, 10 4:29 AM
divegal wrote:Given that, anyone have a take on whether I'd like this? Thank you

Since the trial download is free, why not just download it and see for yourself? It looks like a pretty even split between those who hate it because it isn't a pure adventure game and those who like it anyway, and since it doens't cost anything to find out for yourself you just might be pleasantly surprised.

divegal
Minnow
Minnow
246 Posts

[Post New]by divegal on Jul 11, 10 5:03 AM
sinshack wrote:
divegal wrote:Given that, anyone have a take on whether I'd like this? Thank you

Since the trial download is free, why not just download it and see for yourself? It looks like a pretty even split between those who hate it because it isn't a pure adventure game and those who like it anyway, and since it doens't cost anything to find out for yourself you just might be pleasantly surprised.

Not to sound rude or ungrateful, but the answer is because i did the same thing yesterday only to find it was mostly a HOG (and for those who don't see the "adventure" labels on these last two, they're in huge letters on the right on the download pages.) I was taking the advice of fellow fishies to check the forums and not tie up my connection and run another demo for nothing.

I don't know who was being referred to as angry, but FWIW I wouldn't be angry if BFG made nothing but HOGs from now on. I just wouldn't demo or buy any.

I was, and still am, seeking information on how much of this game is HOG, if anyone is wiling to help me out. Otherwise I'll demo to find out, but I thought someone might save me an hour or two. Thank you.

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Jul 11, 10 5:06 AM
divegal wrote:
I was, and still am, seeking information on how much of this game is HOG, if anyone is wiling to help me out. Otherwise I'll demo to find out, but I thought someone might save me an hour or two. Thank you.

All the HOG scenes are in the walkthrough.....

divegal
Minnow
Minnow
246 Posts

[Post New]by divegal on Jul 11, 10 5:13 AM
prpldva wrote:
divegal wrote:

All the HOG scenes are in the walkthrough.....

That's a great idea! I haven't used the walkthroughs as a preview because i'm not very concerned with length (what most people seem to check) but i should have thought of it for types of scenes! Thank you for your kind answer.

divegal
Minnow
Minnow
246 Posts

[Post New]by divegal on Jul 11, 10 5:19 AM
...and, it looks like an adventure game with a lot of HOG scenes, kind of like RTR.

And it looks like great quality. Too much HOG for my patience but OH so tempting.

Enjoy, fishies who like this combo.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jul 11, 10 5:28 AM
snapnhiss wrote:I'm a little confused on the adventure classifier as well. I was using the term "large file game" and someone corrected me to say they're called adventure.

Anyway, the best way to figure it out is to check the forums. Kind of silly to complain about something you didn't fully research before buying.
RTR is a large file game (relatively) but it's not an adventure game but an IHOG. That's why LFA (large file adventure) is used instead.

Go to: